Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 01:19   #13306
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Well I recently purchased a used Note 2 - having traded in my Galaxy S3. I wasnt sure if it was an upgrade at all, but having used it for close to a week now, I can definitely say it IS indeed an upgrade.

I had tried so many JB official roms -wipe, no wipes etc., but I could not ever get rid of the sluggishness in certain UI elements (contacts and dialer for example) and the overall JB did not seem to utilize project butter.

But the Note 2 is a different beast. I didnt know that extra 1 GB of RAM would prove to be such a differentiating factor. The phone (err...phablet) simply glides. I only wish it was a little smaller though (still getting used to the size). But I guess any smaller and it could be called Galaxy S4!

I would wholeheartedly recommend Note 2 to anyone considering this phablet (or even Galaxy S3 for that matter!)
Old 29th December 2012, 03:18   #13307
Senior - BHPian

Its interesting that you mentioned about difference in performance due to RAM, the US S3's have 2 Gb RAM, i have one too. I recently checked my memory usage & it was showing 1.3x already used & that is with normal usage. Looks like this was a good call by US carriers.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:36   #13308
Senior - BHPian

but seriously, for god's sakes. why the hell does one need that ginormous amount of RAM in a phone for simple lag free usage? Either google doesnt know how to code android, or samsung's touchwiz is crap. contacts should not lag for that reason!!
Old 29th December 2012, 11:08   #13309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Either google doesnt know how to code android, or samsung's touchwiz is crap. contacts should not lag for that reason!!
LOL: If google knew how to code android, then it wont be open source and there wont be XDA

I think all phones should come pre-rooted with superuser rights
Old 29th December 2012, 11:11   #13310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but seriously, for god's sakes. why the hell does one need that ginormous amount of RAM in a phone
"Mine's bigger than yours?"

There seems to be this general misnomer (or is it) that more RAM is good. Or maybe you get a phone with more RAM to future proof it for applications that "may" come out which might need more RAM?

That said, shouldn't it be the other way around? Future apps should be easier on the phone - that's real development, isn't it?
Old 29th December 2012, 11:34   #13311
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post

I had tried so many JB official roms -wipe, no wipes etc., but I could not ever get rid of the sluggishness in certain UI elements (contacts and dialer for example) and the overall JB did not seem to utilize project butter.
That sluggishness persists in all Android Devices. It is just like windows pc, no matter how high the specs of your machine are, you will get a Not Responding Error in a couple of days.

Though I hope, Project Butter works to get rid of this
Old 29th December 2012, 11:41   #13312
Senior - BHPian

Sluggishness is something I'm yet to face in day to say usage on my HOS running stock with regular updates, though I've had my fair share of ANRs.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:31   #13313
BHPian

Looks like Micromax has launched another phone : the A101
http://www.flipkart.com/micromax-a10...p_main_mobiles

btw has anyone used karbonn phones? i seem to like the A30. Its a phablet.
Old 29th December 2012, 13:00   #13314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
LOL: If google knew how to code android, then it wont be open source and there wont be XDA
Me thinks XDA exists to fully exploit the hidden features on Android, not as a corrective coding facility. I'm pretty sure Andy Rubin (the creator of Android) knows well enough how to code Android, else Google would not have bought out his company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I think all phones should come pre-rooted with superuser rights
No can do. Laymen with zero to low tech skills might end up bricking phones (by installing incompatible ROM or such) and the return rate and warranty costs would kill the manufacturers bottom line.

It is like after market ICE. I suspect less than 5% of the total car buyers in India go for customized ICE despite having been provided the same as OEM fitment by manufacturers.

In Android phones too, how many outside of forums really go for rooting and modding? Majority of people I come across think it to be a hacker's play field and are too scared to venture into rooting for the fear of voiding warranty.
Quote:
but seriously, for god's sakes. why the hell does one need that ginormous amount of RAM in a phone for simple lag free usage? Either google doesnt know how to code android, or samsung's touchwiz is crap. contacts should not lag for that reason!!
Samsung TouchWiz is truly crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
thanks Ajay

Im getting authentication failed. on teh same home wifi, my BB, Galaxy, and Micromax funbook have no issue connecting
How many devices are connected to your router? AFAIK most routers come with some device limit. Do check if that is the road block?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any Defy users who have upgraded to the 3500 mAh battery?
Is it worth it? If yes, please suggest a good source for the same?
Else, if you have gone for the original Defy 1500 mAh battery, do provide indicative pricing.
Why go for 1500 mah battery when you can get the 1650/1700 mah Defy+ battery? That should work right? If not, the Battery Fix flash would make it work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
http://www.fommy.co.in/motorola/motorola-defy-mb525.htm

2400mAh with back door for 1999/- & standard 1200mAh is 1499/-. This looks expensive though..
I don't think the Defy ever came with a 1200 mah battery?
Old 29th December 2012, 13:49   #13315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
samsung's touchwiz is crap. contacts should not lag for that reason!!
Touchwiz is a royal mess, this and Kies are examples of why Samsung should give up on writing software.

Touchwiz comes bloated with crapware right out of box with some or the other widget loaded in 3 of 7 home screens.

That means, if some heavy app is used, even basic UI is swapped out of memory and user has to wait for 3 -4 seconds for even dialer to come up.
Old 29th December 2012, 16:10   #13316
Senior - BHPian

Moto Defy+ WajkIUI v2.12.27/28 released

The best ROM for Defy just got upgraded. Here is the changelog.

- faster Aroma Installer
- optimized install steps
- optimized Camera settings
- optimized scrolling engine
- updated APN settings
- updated GPS settings
- updated proximity driver
- added Miui Calendar
- added CM7 Calendar
- updated Google Play to 3.10.10

Download link:
http://goo.im/devs/Wajk/Defy%20Plus/...12.28_Plus.zip
Old 29th December 2012, 18:28   #13317
Senior - BHPian

For the people looking for Micromax A110, shopclues is selling them at 10429. Both colors, white and black, are available.

http://www.shopclues.com/micromax-ca...cker_Deal-Icbs
Old 29th December 2012, 23:52   #13318
BHPian

My Tipo has an internal memory of 754 mb and I've used only 329 mb. Then why is it showing so less free memory?
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2012, 06:25   #13319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
My Tipo has an internal memory of 754 mb and I've used only 329 mb. Then why is it showing so less free memory?
Try clearing app caches, and other temporary files. Also, some system apps like contacts storage, facebook etc do take up a lot of space. Do check them out.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:28   #13320
BHPian

Guys please tell me whether HTC One V has network signal reception issue and Wifi issue? Users please let me know. Hope to hear soon.

Thanks

Most Viewed