Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:35   #13366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I recently got a Nexus4. I am moving from Nokia 5800 to Nexus 4! Hence would need advice from Android users on the apps I should download to better the experience.

I would like to know (free) Apps for
Music & Video
Navigation - Waze?
Monitor Net Usage/ Ensure better battery management
Web browser - Opera?
File Explorer

And any other useful apps. TIA
Congratulations !!

How did you source the Nexus 4 ?

Music - Power Amp
& Video - MX Player
Navigation - Waze? - Google Maps is sufficient.
Monitor Net Usage - 3G Watch dog
/ Ensure better battery management - Crap apps install none.
Web browser - Dolphin/ Chrome
File Explorer - Solid Explorer
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:04   #13367
Senior - BHPian

The 2GB SD card in my Defy Plus is running low on space now. I want to transfer the content/apps on it to a 16GB SD card that I bought. How do I do it without losing any contact/SMS/app info and data?

I'm running GB based WIUI ROM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:15   #13368
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to buy Galaxy Note 2 as I am unable to source Nexus 4. Do we have any deals going on ? Any other suggestion ?
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:19   #13369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
For the price range 10-15k I doubt any Samsung /HTC will beat MMX A90S A110/Karbonn A21/A18 from this perspective. I have tried many phones that were available in shops in this range before buying MMX A110 and overall experience of these MMX/Karbonn phones was similar and better than similarly priced Samsung/HTC. A110 has bigger screen and hence I got this.

I have used brand new Samsung S duos for 4-5 hrs (of a friend) and it is definitely was way more sluggish than A110. Samsung SGS2 could be better but it goes above 20K.
But the lack of a magnetic sensor and ambient light sensor seems to be a weird cost cutting. Otherwise, its fluidic smooth and surprisingly good to hold.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:44   #13370
BHPian

Hi experts,

Please suggest best antivirus and anti theft apps for SGS3. Here is one which I found on Play Store:

Cerberus anti theft (Free): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.cerberus

Edit: It's not free but comes for GBP 2.99.

avast! Mobile Security (Free): https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...c2VjdXJpdHkiXQ..

If paid ones are better than please advise the same.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 3rd January 2013 at 14:48.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:51   #13371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
But the lack of a magnetic sensor and ambient light sensor seems to be a weird cost cutting. Otherwise, its fluidic smooth and surprisingly good to hold.
I dont miss the magnetic sensor at all. ALS is a sure miss though - I am planning to write a simple onx script to change brightness based on time of the day.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:07   #13372
Senior - BHPian

My answers in bold:
Quote:
Music & Video Don't know about this. I use Apollo which came default with JB
Navigation - Waze? I use Sygic. This is not free and not that great for city but good for highways
Monitor Net Usage/ Ensure better battery managementThere is a Data Usage monitor inbuilt in Jelly Bean. That is sufficient and accurate. Can't help with battery management
Web browser - Opera? Chrome
File ExplorerDefault file manager is fine

Smartools, Office Pro HD (not free, but generally at throw away prices during offers. Keep watching this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
The 2GB SD card in my Defy Plus is running low on space now. I want to transfer the content/apps on it to a 16GB SD card that I bought. How do I do it without losing any contact/SMS/app info and data?

When I upgraded from 2 GB to 8 GB, I copied the entire card data to my computer. Then put the new 8 GB card in my mobile and formatted the card.

I did not lose any contact or SMS in this process. I don't remember what happened to the apps, but they can always be downloaded again and the files from the old card can be copied over to the correct location in the new card.

In fact, I did not want my old app data to be copied over to the new card. Now I don't have unnecessary files lying on my new mSD card. The old SD card content is not useful to me anymore.

Last edited by S_U_N : 3rd January 2013 at 15:08.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:45   #13373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Smartools, .
I have bought this app - they have integrated a lot of tools into this app, quite useful.
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:47   #13374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Anyone having any issues with the latest version of the Play Store? (v.3.10.10)

I simply CANNOT update any apps. New apps download and install properly, and I do get notifications for updates. But I just cant actually update anything - the download never starts.

I never had this problem with any of the previous versions. Is there an update coming anytime soon?
Are you accessing Play Store over EDGE/2G? If yes, it won't work properly. Try on WiFi or 3G.

Btw I'm using the 3.10.10 version and no issues like you mentioned. Probably your DB is corrupted. Before anything else, go to Apps and search for Google Play. Force Stop it and clear cache. See if that solves.
Quote:
I will have to explore the 1700 mAh Defy+ battery option. I had checked with XDA forums, but I could not find any conclusive answers on how to solve the battery calibration mess that will be created. Plus I am on CM 10.

How much does the 1700 mAh cost at the stores?
The original 1500 mah battery is for Rs 1867 (http://www.ebay.in/itm/SCUD-1500mAh-...#ht_2994wt_934)

While the 3500 mah battery+door is for Rs 2425 (http://www.ebay.in/itm/Motorola-Defy...#ht_2506wt_934)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Transferring contents from one SD card to another is ROM independent. Just insert the old SD card in your PC and copy the ENTIRE contents into a new folder on your PC.

Then insert the new SD card and simply transfer the ENTIRE folder. Simple. No loss of data or anything. But the SD card should be formatted in the phone, not in the PC.
Quote:
I recently got a Nexus4. I am moving from Nokia 5800 to Nexus 4! Hence would need advice from Android users on the apps I should download to better the experience.

I would like to know (free) Apps for
Music & Video - JetAudio Basic and MX Player
Navigation - Google Maps
Monitor Net Usage - 3G WatchDog
Ensure better battery management - Llama or Profile Scheduler
Web browser - Dolphin
File Explorer - ES File Explorer

Answers inline in bold
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:30   #13375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How did you order it? Did you get it through a provider or did someone bring it down for you? Do put down your thoughts on the ordering/delivery process - will be useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Congratulations !!
How did you source the Nexus 4 ?
Thanks for the information. Regarding the phone, I got it via a friend who was coming down from US. I ordered the phone via Amazon, had to pay $500 of it (16GB). But got the phone in 8 days as promised by the seller (this was during Christmas time). Wanted the phone badly and couldnt wait for Play store to open up again. Also the India sale of this phone looks like a distant dream now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Answers inline in bold
Quote:
Smartools, Office Pro HD (not free, but generally at throw away prices during offers. Keep watching this thread.)
Thanks for the information. What is Smartools used for? Can we pay for the apps in INR?

Last edited by mac187 : 3rd January 2013 at 16:31.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:10   #13376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Query regarding OTG access for Micromax A110. I could connect a pendrive [tried 8 & 16gb yet] and access files from within it. But I couldn't access my 200gb portable harddisk when connected using the OTG.

Is accessing such a huge storage not possible or am I doing something incorrectly?
I think you will need to connect the hard disks power supply to connect to the phone.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:11   #13377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
For Micromax A110 owners, this link is a gold mine.. Enjoy

http://www.droidiser.com/2012/12/mic...guide-mod.html
The main reason technically challenged users [like myself] stay away from rooting and flashing custom ROMs seem to be the fear of bricking the device, due to not understanding the steps and/or not knowing what to do when something goes wrong.

http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/wha...use-guide.html. At this link, the individual had made great effort in explaining what it is and how CMW [Clockworkmod] recovery works. This, along with the previous link I posted, should help anyone like me:

a. root the device [you can also un-root it].
b. install CWM recovery and take back up of data + stock rom.
c. try custom ROM that interests you. [my recommendation, is a ROM from this developer: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2025391]. More custom ROM options available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1960080

Remember an external SD card is required?/preferred for flashing. You also void warranty on rooting + you do this at your own risk, if you choose to.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think you will need to connect the hard disks power supply to connect to the phone.
Thanks Mayankk, but this is a portable hard disk I am referring to. It does not have a power supply port [like a desktop hard drive]. What to do in this case?

Last edited by k_ajay : 3rd January 2013 at 17:14. Reason: Adding response to Mayankk.
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:30   #13378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Any good Android between 10k to 15k Max. The phone will be for my wife as her current phone (Non Android) has started behaving weirdly.

Usage pattern in a day

1. 20-25 minutes calling
2. 4-5 messages
3. Clicking snaps (A good Camera)
4. Whats app
5. FB
6. Some Games - occasionally

I have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy S duos which retails now at 14900/- with price reduction (also it will be getting JB update as per Samsung).

My sister is using the same cell from past two months and she is very much happy with it.

Any other options - I am open to Sony and HTC (No Windows phone as I am using one and she finds is difficult to operate)

Will be buying it tonight
http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/product/...us-l9-p768f/2/
http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/dea...nt=lg-videocon

GOOD deal I say. better benchmarks than GNex and THAT is saying a lot
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:32   #13379
Senior - BHPian

3 Android phones on offer at HomeShop18's daily deals.
http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/dea...nt=lg-videocon

LG Optimus L9 P765, Videocon A30 Dual SIM Mobile Phone & NUGen AND5 Android Mobile Phone [the last one seems to be an option similar to MMX A110].
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:07   #13380
BHPian

Thanks Rajesh. How does it compare to Karbonn A9+ .... any other phone you considered during this purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
@aditya101. I am using Karbonn A21 for the last 3 months. The browsing is very fast, and has good battery backup (so far). The display quality and touch sensitivity are good. But the biggest drawback is the loud speaker and mic. Both of them are below average quality. The dialer has a significant delay in loading even when the system resources are free. The SAR value is very less for this phone (0.437) and there is no issue of 'radiation or phone getting heated up' etc. The GPS works well and I am able to use the google map voice navigation perfectly.

Recently I came across another phone "Lenovo S560". It has huge battery (2Amps) and very good sound quality. I used it continously for 2days without re-charging. The touch and display quality is far better than A21.

Karbonn A21 = Rs.9600/-
Lenovo S560 = Rs.13100/-

Thanks
Rajesh

Most Viewed