Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 15:55   #7291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
You wont screw up the phone trying to install a custom rom.i'll guide you step-by-step if you ever decide to upgrade.just pm me
You are the man! Shall PM you once I receive my 16gb card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Did you order the screenguard online or purchased from a local store? I'm also looking for a screen guard for my XCD35 (now ZTE Blade after flashing to CM7 ).
I got it from a local mobile/accessories store, the screen guard was for a blackberry model and I thought he might have to cut it somewhere but he didn't have to, it fit perfectly.

However, as bluengel180 mentioned, there might be issues with the proximity sensor which I'll test once at home and shall update here.

This guy who'd put the screen guard was putting another one on a galaxy note when we went there and had to put in quite an effort to remove the bubbles and fit it well. He took 5 seconds to apply it on my cell and praised the phone saying that this Dell phone is really something, the screen right from good to look at is also the best when it comes to putting a screen guard on.
Old 9th January 2012, 15:57   #7292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Hardly have any apps installed. Yesterday found all the apps were force closing if I tried to open them. Team-Bhp, IMO messenger, angry birds, .. So did a factory reset again. seems to be ok since then.
You have answered your question yourself.
Few pointers-
1. Always do a factory reset after any fresh software install/update
2. Some apps may not be compatible and may be causing the reboots.

If reboots have stopped after factory reset, gradually add apps one by one to shortlist the offending app. Hope that helps.
Old 9th January 2012, 17:28   #7293
BANNED

I ended up getting the Samsung Note late december, loving it so far.

I installed the Justdial App and some others from the market place, then became paranoid about the security settings and quickly uninstalled them.

How do I know these permissions will not be abused by an app that I install? This is what I emailed JustDial from the web page form -

---
#
directly call phone numbers
Allows the application to call phone numbers without your intervention. Malicious applications may cause unexpected calls on your phone bill. Note that this does not allow the application to call emergency numbers.

Q: Why does the app need this permission? Please list a use case as an example.

# Your location

mock location sources for testing
Create mock location sources for testing. Malicious applications can use this to override the location and/or status returned by real location sources such as GPS or Network providers.

Q:Why does the app need this permission? Please list a use case as an example.

Your personal information
read contact data
Allows an application to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your data to other people.

Q: Why does the app need this permission? Please list a use case as an example. why does Justdial want to read ALL of my contacts list?

read calendar events
Allows an application to read all of the calendar events stored on your device. Malicious applications can use this to send your calendar events to other people.
add or modify calendar events and send email to guests
Allows an application to add or change the events on your calendar, which may send email to guests. Malicious applications can use this to erase or modify your calendar events or to send email to guests.

Q:Why does the app need this permission? Please list a use case as an example.

# Phone calls
read phone state and identity
Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Q: Again highly suspicious - Why does JustDial want these private details? Please list a use case as an example.
---

Apart from the JD app, I saw some other apps that also wanted these permissions, So I uninstalled them too.

What is the security of apps in the marketplace? Can any malicious app be published that might abuse user rights to privacy? The Google developer guidelines/policy does have some best practices, but who is going to enforce them?

Scary to say the least!

--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 9th January 2012 at 17:32.
Old 9th January 2012, 18:11   #7294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You wont screw up the phone trying to install a custom rom.i'll guide you step-by-step if you ever decide to upgrade.just pm me
Is it possible to do something like this with a galaxy tab?? overclocking ??
Old 9th January 2012, 18:22   #7295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Did you order the screenguard online or purchased from a local store? I'm also looking for a screen guard for my XCD35 (now ZTE Blade after flashing to CM7 ).
ebay can help.

dkaile had given me a link of a guy who deals in defy. here is one for blade:
3pcs CLEAR Screen Protector Guard Flim For LCD ZTE Blade V880 U880 FREE Shipping | eBay
2 PCS LCD Ultra Clear Screen Protector Guard For Orange San Francisco ZTE Blade | eBay
Old 9th January 2012, 18:38   #7296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Scary to say the least!

--Ragul
I think it is best that you avoid mobile phones of such kind

Though what you say is partially true - it holds good for www too!!
Old 9th January 2012, 19:28   #7297
BHPian

Here is my Desire HD with Android Revolution HD 6.1.x with Revolution Sense theme and Go Launcher EX.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-a2w709.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Is it possible to do something like this with a galaxy tab?? overclocking ??
Yes, do browse through this forum. First you will have to root it and then flash a custom ROM which has a overclocking kernel.
Old 9th January 2012, 22:19   #7298
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest me the cheapest phone which supports 3g and can act as a wifi hotspot. Looking for something cheap since this will be a temporary replacement for my dead phone for the next 2 months or so before the Galaxy Nexus is released.
Old 10th January 2012, 00:20   #7299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Please suggest me the cheapest phone which supports 3g and can act as a wifi hotspot. Looking for something cheap since this will be a temporary replacement for my dead phone for the next 2 months or so before the Galaxy Nexus is released.
Every android phone supports 3G.take your pick
Old 10th January 2012, 00:31   #7300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

Well welcome to Android I would say! Thats a standard issue with most droids I would say! Thats my biggest pet peeve with Android. Why does the OS need to crash every now and then!!!
Well it is disappointing. More so since my wife has been using a Galaxy S for over a year without facing any reboot issues. And it has all sorts of junk apps that I had installed, to experiment. Never crashed. But then it has Froyo.

Is Gingerbread relatively less stable?
Old 10th January 2012, 00:41   #7301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I backed up (strangely there was no restart for an hour during the backup). And then did a factory reset. It has been a week since then. still on wifi. No external SD card. It still restarts once or twice a day.

Hardly have any apps installed. Yesterday found all the apps were force closing if I tried to open them. Team-Bhp, IMO messenger, angry birds, .. So did a factory reset again. seems to be ok since then.

I had used Lookout and AVG for a couple of days. Not installed now.

Wondering if it's a phone problem. Or 2.3.6 problem. Or some app (but then hardly have any now) or wifi related, or due to ether lack of an active Sim card (it's in the phone and will be activated today.)
Very tough to say what specifically causes that IMO. It seems a phone or current ROM version specific problem. GB is by itself so stable and much better in battery that devs themselves write custom ROMs when OEM support has long ceased (HTC HD2 is the example, as is the Defy).

For what it matters, I have never had such random reboots in most other phones on GB - even those running custom ROMs. I mean, even motorola's Froyo update for Defy was a bit laggy but I dont think Samsung would ship such a buggy update.

Have you tried rolling back to the 2.3.4 firmware (or whatever else it shipped with?) or given it to the service center for the same (its a 2-3 min DIY on sammy phones if u follow instructions). The fact that all the apps FC means the rom by itself is unstable.

Did such a behavior happen when you had just bought the phone (i.e pre 2.3.6)? If so, then its phone related - else related to the 2.3.6 update.
Old 10th January 2012, 01:23   #7302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Very tough to say what specifically causes that IMO. It seems a phone or current ROM version specific problem. GB is by itself so stable and much better in battery that devs themselves write custom ROMs when OEM support has long ceased (HTC HD2 is the example, as is the Defy).

For what it matters, I have never had such random reboots in most other phones on GB - even those running custom ROMs. I mean, even motorola's Froyo update for Defy was a bit laggy but I dont think Samsung would ship such a buggy update.

Have you tried rolling back to the 2.3.4 firmware (or whatever else it shipped with?) or given it to the service center for the same (its a 2-3 min DIY on sammy phones if u follow instructions). The fact that all the apps FC means the rom by itself is unstable.

Did such a behavior happen when you had just bought the phone (i.e pre 2.3.6)? If so, then its phone related - else related to the 2.3.6 update.
I'm not sure which build it came with by default. When I connected at home I got the update prompt and upgraded without a thought. So have no clue whether it was stable pre-upgrade. I spoke to mobile store today. Might send it to the service centre via them.

All apps FC happened just yesterday and today. Normally there's been no indication. Just reboots suddenly. At times even when it is sitting idle on a table.

Where can I get the instructions for 'downgrading'?
Old 10th January 2012, 06:13   #7303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc

Well it is disappointing. More so since my wife has been using a Galaxy S for over a year without facing any reboot issues. And it has all sorts of junk apps that I had installed, to experiment. Never crashed. But then it has Froyo.

Is Gingerbread relatively less stable?
Not sure,but when my phone had froyo htc sense, it never ever crashed. As you did, i also had all sorts of apps installed. But now my gingerbread crashes rarely. It enters a not responding state also, but these are very rare scenarios..
Old 10th January 2012, 10:57   #7304
Senior - BHPian

A person in my company posted an ad that she wants to sell her S2. Quoted prices is 22K, is that a good price for 6 month old mobile?
Old 10th January 2012, 11:50   #7305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every android phone supports 3G.take your pick
Yes but can all Andrioid phones be made to a wifi hotspot?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks