Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 13:43   #7171
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Can someone please suggest a good FLV player for android 2.2?
I LOVE this one, especially the gesture controls : MX Video Player

https://market.android.com/details?i...layer.ad&hl=en

cya
R
Old 30th December 2011, 14:22   #7172
Senior - BHPian

On my Defy, I had started to download some apps. It never went past getting queued. Now it shows up on the notification bar and since I turn off the data always, I have to select it and cancel the download.
How do I remove the queued applications? I dont see it in download manager or that sort.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:12   #7173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Any opinions on the GO Dialer EX?
Good with respect to functionalities and UI, bad with respect to performance. May be that's only in my phone - it takes couple of seconds to start up after a long period of no use.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:45   #7174
BHPian

Friends,

I am coming here from the mobile phones thread after reading reviews on HTC EVO 3D.

I am currently looking to buy HTC EVO 3D (any further suggestions and inputs welcome). Can anyone help me with names of outlets where they are currently available in Bangalore so that I can drop in and check before buying the same?

I stay in Marathhalli. Any stores nearby will be an added advantage.

Thanks in Advance.

Rgds,
Kiran
Old 30th December 2011, 19:24   #7175
Senior - BHPian

Proof that Android + Samsung combo rules the mobile world. At least in the US of A. Even though many may 'Defy' this suggestion... lolz

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-stats.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-oems.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 30th December 2011 at 19:36.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:01   #7176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Proof that Android + Samsung combo rules the mobile world. At least in the US of A. Even though many may 'Defy' this suggestion... lolz

Attachment 862171

Attachment 862172

The list you've attached counts all mobiles.not just android handsets/
Old 30th December 2011, 21:57   #7177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post

Attachment 862171

Attachment 862172
well dkaile, its HTC that is No. 1 in US as far as Android sales are concerned. Samsung is Second.

Though my information is a Quarter old. Maybe this Quarter Samsung might have overtaken HTC, then I stand corrected.

In Europe though Samsung rules.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:58   #7178
BHPian

To all Galaxy R owners and Android gurus: I am planning to buy this phone but before doing that wanted to clear some things. Please forgive me for asking some stupid questions but I need to be sure before buying this.

My usage:
1. Calls for about 15-20 minutes.
2. Minimal Messaging (because most of chats will be on WhatsApp)
3. Will be using the phone for music and video playback – Maximum of 40 mins a day. Youtube usage is not there – I might watch a video once in a month. But for practical purposes Youtube viewing is not there.
4. Apps I will be using frequently: Gmail/Facebook/ESPNSTAR/Reuters and some other business websites and WhatsApp!
5. Games – Will be using them for say 20-30 minutes in a day.

Note that I will be playing games only during the initial period. I have observed that I play a lot on phones when they are new but after some months I hardly play on them. So my main point of buying this phone is availability of different apps (not just games) and browsing.

My Questions:

1. Given the typical usage of mine as described above should I expect the battery to last at least a day?

2. I have seen on Forums that Samsung phones tend to have a lot of niggles. Is Samsung’s reliability an issue? Should I look at some other brands/OS?

3. Another weak point of Samsung is KIES. I have read a number of people not happy with the Samsung software. Is it that bad?

4. I have taken the Rs 99 for 2GB Vodafone plan. Given that I will be using Gmail/FB and some other websites, is the 2GB limit sufficient? Note that I have Wi fi in my office so I am planning to run the phone on Office’s Wifi when I am in office and when I am outside office, I will use GPRS. Keeping this in mind I don’t think the 2GB limit would be exceeded, would it? Also can we control which network the app uses for data transfer? For Example I want the Gmail app to use Wifi in office and GPRS outside office? Can this be done?

5. I want the in-built video player to play all kinds of extensions – especially .avi (the 700 mb files of any movies) and .flv. If it is able to play .mkv files too then it would be a great plus. If not then is there any player available on Android market (for free of course!) which can play all types of files.

6. One feature I will be using quite frequently is Bluetooth for transferring audio/video/images from phone to my laptop and vice versa. Is this possible or do I need to use KIES for that also?

7. Are there standard apps available for Gmail and Facebook or do I have to open their home page and then login? Do I need to keep the app open all the time and keep refreshing to see if I have received a new mail or will I receive a notification the moment I receive a mail? Basically are the apps like push email?

8. Galaxy R does not have Gorilla glass and people have suggested to use a screen guard. Will the screen guard affect the touch inputs/sensitivity of the phone?

Sorry for asking such silly questions. Also does anyone know what price the S2 is selling at (In retail stores and not at Flipkart please). People are telling me to put 7-8k more and get the S2. Is the AMOLED screen and 8 megapixel camera that good? I am also thinking of trying out the LG Optimus 2X which is a bit cheaper than the Galaxy R. It does not have the dual core but it has AMOLED screen and 8 Megapixel camera. But some user opinions of LG have been very bad ; complaining about things like call volume etc - so not sure about LG brand.

Last edited by Saanil : 30th December 2011 at 22:11.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:18   #7179
Senior - BHPian

quick Q for the rooters. I want to install CM7 on xperia x10 mini. I went to the xda thread and it said prerequisite is nAa kernel. I went to the kernel thread and it says prerequisite is CM7.

I am planning to use flashtool to root and install CWM and kernel, and then attempt the CM7 via CWM flash within the phone. is that the correct sequence? Do I need to do anything outside these two?
Old 30th December 2011, 22:29   #7180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
My Questions:
1. .. should I expect the battery to last at least a day?
2. .. Samsung phones tend to have a lot of niggles..
3. .. KIES.. Is it that bad?
4. .. I don’t think the 2GB limit would be exceeded, would it? .. For Example I want the Gmail app to use Wifi in office and GPRS outside office? Can this be done?
5. I want the in-built video player to play all kinds of extensions ... If not then is there any player available on Android market (for free of course!) which can play all types of files.
6. .. Bluetooth... Is this possible or do I need to use KIES for that also?
7. Are there standard apps available for Gmail and Facebook..
8. .. Will the screen guard affect the touch inputs/sensitivity of the phone?
1. Initially, it won't . Carry your charger. As your usage settles down, I think it will give at least a day, considering it has a 1650mAh battery.
2. Haven't experienced any 'niggles' as such in the past 10 months of owing the Ace.
3. No need to use it unless you want to be dependent on Samsung for all OS/firmware updates.
4. Should suffice. There are apps that can do this - switch to wifi or gprs based on your location.
5. Well, how we wish all our wishes come true. Not sure, if it will, but you have the market anyways. MX video player, Meridian etc are some I can think of right now.
6. No need of KIES.
7. Yes - you have standard apps for all Google services (Check out the market - https://market.android.com/). You will need to keep the background data on and set the update interval to your liking (30min?) to get instant notifications.
8. I am using a 50 bucks screen guard, it performs just as smoothly.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:40   #7181
BANNED

Quote:
To all Galaxy R owners and Android gurus: I am planning to buy this phone but before doing that wanted to clear some things. Please forgive me for asking some stupid questions but I need to be sure before buying this.

My usage:
1. Calls for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Apps I will be using frequently: Gmail/Facebook/ESPNSTAR/Reuters and some other business websites and WhatsApp!
5. Games – Will be using them for say 20-30 minutes in a day.
Well, one day and slightly more on my Galaxy Mini (~8k INR), running GingerBread (CyanogenMod unofficial version).
Quote:
2. I have seen on Forums that Samsung phones tend to have a lot of niggles. Is Samsung’s reliability an issue? Should I look at some other brands/OS?
??? Generalisations will not help. What specific niggles?

Quote:
3. Another weak point of Samsung is KIES. I have read a number of people not happy with the Samsung software. Is it that bad?
Who cares? Send your data to the cloud. Or backup to the sdcard and use the SD card as a USB storage device and access it from the PC.

Quote:
For Example I want the Gmail app to use Wifi in office and GPRS outside office? Can this be done?
My phone switches from GPRS to Wifi whenever a wifi network is available. I do remember seeing some location and time based switching between wifi and GPRS. Have no need for it - so did not dig in deeper.

Quote:
5. I want the in-built video player to play all kinds of extensions – especially .avi (the 700 mb files of any movies) and .flv. If it is able to play .mkv files too then it would be a great plus. If not then is there any player available on Android market (for free of course!) which can play all types of files.
Beauty of android is the market, and the innumerable custom ROMS. IF the in-built app cannot do X, Y or Z, who cares?? YOu can always get an app, or get a custom ROM which does the job

Quote:
6. One feature I will be using quite frequently is Bluetooth for transferring audio/video/images from phone to my laptop and vice versa. Is this possible or do I need to use KIES for that also?
I run linux on my PC. I can send and receive files from my PC over BT; and KIES is a windows only application. I guess you ought to be able to do this from Microsft's OSes without need for KIES.

Quote:
7. Are there standard apps available for Gmail and Facebook or do I have to open their home page and then login? Do I need to keep the app open all the time and keep refreshing to see if I have received a new mail or will I receive a notification the moment I receive a mail? Basically are the apps like push email?
Definitely yes. DUnno about bandwidth though. I do not sync mail on the phone, and use a 500 MB limited bandwidth plan, and usually en up using 300~ MB.

With Gmail, I get a notification, every time a mail arrives (when I tried auto-syncing) like much same way an SMS / WhatsApp message arrives. Dunno about FaceBook. <joke>what is FaceBook?</joke> (I have not used it yet for privacy reasons)
Old 31st December 2011, 00:02   #7182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
quick Q for the rooters. I want to install CM7 on xperia x10 mini. I went to the xda thread and it said prerequisite is nAa kernel. I went to the kernel thread and it says prerequisite is CM7.

I am planning to use flashtool to root and install CWM and kernel, and then attempt the CM7 via CWM flash within the phone. is that the correct sequence? Do I need to do anything outside these two?
Correct.
One thing though, WiFi tether is working for Mini?
For x10 it wasn't, so I avoided cm.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:39   #7183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Correct.
One thing though, WiFi tether is working for Mini?
For x10 it wasn't, so I avoided cm.
wifi tether or wifi connection? I haven't checked that yet.

do you have a better suggestion for ROM? the phone is currently running stock sony rom.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:45   #7184
BHPian

Quote:

My usage:

My Questions:

4. I have taken the Rs 99 for 2GB Vodafone plan. Given that I will be using Gmail/FB and some other websites, is the 2GB limit sufficient? Note that I have Wi fi in my office so I am planning to run the phone on Office’s Wifi when I am in office and when I am outside office, I will use GPRS. Keeping this in mind I don’t think the 2GB limit would be exceeded, would it? Also can we control which network the app uses for data transfer? For Example I want the Gmail app to use Wifi in office and GPRS outside office? Can this be done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
4. Should suffice. There are apps that can do this - switch to wifi or gprs based on your location.

No need for apps to do that,just make sure that your office wifi passwords are saved on the device.and keep both data and wifi ON. the phone will automatically detect wifi networks and connect to them and fall back on mobile data when none are available

And about the 99 plan,check if your city has revised it( its now 1 gb instead of 2) and as long as you access internet only on the phone (no tethering) it will easily last you a month.
Old 31st December 2011, 10:20   #7185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I must battery life has really shot up on my Dinc2 after upgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.3.3. It has more than doubled.

Most Viewed