Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 11:12   #6421
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Folks, any inputs on the new Xperia NEO V? Looks like an incredible phone for around Rs.17k. Best thing is Sony says it'll be upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich in a few months.

Xperia
In the past couple of years I have changed my phone every 10 - 12 months. Rarely have I come across an update provided by a manufacturer except once (that too after more than a year). If you want a phone that will provide a certain update to ICS, then you need to either go for the Google Nexus S (Google's already promised an update in a few weeks) or the Galaxy Nexus (which will roll out with ICS). Google does have a history of providing OTA upgrades for the Nexus phones. I got a Nexus S which is currently running on 2.3.6 (the latest update released a few weeks back). The only hiccup with the Nexus S right now is the sudden loss of network once in a while, hopefully if would be resolved with ICS or maybe a different provider.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:19   #6422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Folks, any inputs on the new Xperia NEO V? Looks like an incredible phone for around Rs.17k. Best thing is Sony says it'll be upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich in a few months.

Xperia
Before i went custom, i used SE's upgrade from 1.6->2.1, and then 2.3, all in 6 months.
So, yes SE does provide upgrades.
plus, they are pretty tight about schedules.
SE mentioned XX date for 2.3, and boom, on the day itself!
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 11:21   #6423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I got a Nexus S which is currently running on 2.3.6 (the latest update released a few weeks back).
If you meant the latest Android GB version, then wrong. I am running 2.3.7
Name:  shot_000005.png
Views: 402
Size:  50.0 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 1st November 2011 at 11:22.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:22   #6424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Been using the neo v for a week now, The battery life i get on an average is 1.5 days on full charge with more than moderate usage of apps and games.
But in no way it is comparable to my E72's battery life.
Which phones did you consider while buying Neo V? Did you compare it with any of the HTC models? If yes, what was your impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
and yes, sony's phone camera should anyday be better than the defy. rest i'm not aware of/have tried,
I rarely use phone camera so it would not be a big factor in the decision making.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:34   #6425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If you meant the latest Android GB version, then wrong. I am running 2.3.7
The 2.3.7 version is the one including Google Wallet and is actually meant for the "Nexus S 4G", not the Nexus S
Old 1st November 2011, 11:37   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 2.3.7 version is the one including Google Wallet and is actually meant for the "Nexus S 4G", not the Nexus S
Yes I read it in Wikipedia. Anyway, Cyanogen 7.1 is based on this version, what I have installed in Desire.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st November 2011 at 11:40.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:24   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Do any of these android devices in the market allow becoming a USB host master and read a camera like a storage disc? With Android custom rom hacks maybe? And do the custom rom hacks allow the maximum capacity of 32GB?
A quick google search throws up quite a few opttions - mostly custom roms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Can Anyone please answer this?
If that phone has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. Any standard headset ought to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Not any current Android versions that I know of, I think ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) will answer this requirement, as it can already support USB game controllers & HDMI!

People will be hooking up their ICS phones to their TVs and playing games using game controllers in near future.
USB host feature was added in Honeycomb. Ugh oh. We are talking phones here.

Quote:

What ar eyou guys discussing here? I run CM 7.1, android 2.3.7 on my Samsung GT S5570 Mini aka pop.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:47   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If that phone has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. Any standard headset ought to do.
The phone does have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack but standard headset don't work with full functionality.
Eg:
1) There are cases where one won't be able to use the mic
2) There are cases where one won't be able to use the buttons on the headset from which we can answer call, end calls, change track, or sometimes even the volume rocker.
Old 1st November 2011, 14:13   #6429
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone recommend a good app to capture screenshots? Please note that I have not rooted my phone neither do I intend to do it
Old 1st November 2011, 14:31   #6430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can anyone recommend a good app to capture screenshots? Please note that I have not rooted my phone neither do I intend to do it
This will be tough. At least I am not aware of any. I did an extensive search since rooting an htc is a pain. I have a Incredible 2 on CDMA. You have to first get S-off and then proceed from there. I use ShootMe and you have to get the apk file (not on the market). It requires a root. Any specific reasons (other than fear of the unknown) why you do not wish to root.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 14:38   #6431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This will be tough. At least I am not aware of any. I did an extensive search since rooting an htc is a pain. I have a Incredible 2 on CDMA. You have to first get S-off and then proceed from there. I use ShootMe and you have to get the apk file (not on the market). It requires a root. Any specific reasons (other than fear of the unknown) why you do not wish to root.
Fear of the unknown will always be there

Moreover, my S2 is working fine as of now. To Quote: "If it aint broke, dont fix it"

Coming back to the app, it is indeed surprising to see the lack of "official" app to capture screenshots.
Old 1st November 2011, 14:51   #6432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Coming back to the app, it is indeed surprising to see the lack of "official" app to capture screenshots.
Well it exists in all Galaxy S2 model, inherently.

To take a screenshot (no root needed, it's a default app), press the Home Button Soft key and the power button together and them leave them together too.... and Voila it will capture the screen. A new directory is created and is visible through gallery called "ScreenCapture" where all your screen shots appear. Just be careful to get the timing right and click both buttons together otherwise you will end up just switching off the phone screen.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 14:55   #6433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well it exists in all Galaxy S2 model, inherently.

To take a screenshot (no root needed, it's a default app), press the Home Button Soft key and the power button together and them leave them together too.... and Voila it will capture the screen. A new directory is created and is visible through gallery called "ScreenCapture" where all your screen shots appear. Just be careful to get the timing right and click both buttons together otherwise you will end up just switching off the phone screen.
Dude, cant thank you enough! You just made my day I have been looking all around for this app only to find it in my own pocket!
Old 1st November 2011, 14:57   #6434
Senior - BHPian

There are 'official'apps as well. In found AndroSS to be another good one. At the end of the day you need only one and I preferred ShootMe.

As for root Sammy's are pretty easy - Z4Root is one of the apps for it.

I bought my first android only in March (Sammy I550). I next got a Sammy Epic 4G. Both with slide out keyboards. Was unlucky and had some problems, so traded it in for the Dinc2. A lovely phone, but locked up like Fort Knox. The sense interface is far better than the Samsung interface. Also, the build quality is better. However, due to Dinc being officially a Verizon phone I am still on Froyo. Quite happy with it.

Root also gives you Titanium and ClockworkMod. Well worth it. Also, any high end file manager also requires root. Once I rooted (was scared initially) I am very happy.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 15:23   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There are 'official'apps as well. In found AndroSS to be another good one. At the end of the day you need only one and I preferred ShootMe.
Even for the newer HTC phones (like EVO 3D) you 'don't' require root to take a screen-shot. Now you can take screen shots on EVO 3D by just long pressing the power key and then the home button.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks