Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:25   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Behind The Glass: A Detailed Tour Inside The Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Source

By now, the specs on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus are already publicly known, but what other magic is hiding within all the wires and circuitry? Here are a few things in the Galaxy Nexus:

Silicon
  • CPU: Texas Instruments OMAP4460, 2047.7 BogoMIPS
  • GPU: Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX 540 (same as the Galaxy S and Nexus S, though this one uses a higher clock speed at 384MHz)
  • WiFi / Bluetooth module: Broadcom BCM4330 (same as in the Galaxy S II)
  • Audio codec: Texas Instruments TWL6040
  • HDMI: Silicon Image MHD SiI9234 transmitter over MHL (same as Infuse 4G and GSII)
  • USB Switch: Fairchild semiconductors fsa9480 (industry standard)
  • Framebuffer controller: Samsung S6E8AA0 MIPI LCD with Gamma correction driver
Sensors
  • Geomagnetic sensor: Brand new tri-axial Yamaha YAS530
  • TouchScreen sensor: Melfas MMSxxx touchscreen
  • Optical / proximity sensor: GP2A (same as Galaxy S and Nexus S)
  • Barometric pressure sensor: BOSCH BMP180 (first of its kind in a smartphone)
  • Triaxial acceleration sensor: BOSCH BMA250
  • Triple Axis MEMS Gyroscope: InvenSense MPU3050
  • Fuel Gauge (algorithm to track battery's state of charge): MAXIM MAX17040
Misc. internals
  • Facial recognition elements (Face Unlock): left eye, right eye, nose base, head, face
  • Available resolution for standard apps: 720 x 1184px
  • Refresh rate: 60Hz
  • LCD Density: 320
  • Default display color depth: 32bit
  • Camera uses OMAP Ducati Subsystem, on-screen preview size is 768 x 576
  • Linux kernel: 3.0.1 compiled for SMP with voluntary kernel preemption for best interactivity
  • Android ROM: version 4.0.1, built October 13, 2011
  • Device name: Maguro
  • Main input/output type supported: Headphone, Speaker, Microphone, Bluetooth, Voice, FM, S/PDIF over HDMI; USB Audio DAC (digital-to-audio converter with USB input and stereo outputs) should also be supported
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 12:42   #6302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class

Thanks Santhosh.

I did go through the xda forum. It seems to me that there are many custom ROMS. I'm finding it hard to select one. *sigh*

govigov, would you please let me know which version you're using? Basically, I want to flash a ROM which is stable, has working GPS, good battery life, a good camera clarity.
Amith, you can install and use a third party camera app if your are not happy about the default camera that comes with the ROM... I use camera 360.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 14:05   #6303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I am on mik_os's CM 7.1.0 ( Android version 2.3.7)

[UNOFFICIAL][ROM][stable:6.5.8,testing:6.6.1] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) - xda-developers

You should be able to see this on the page.
Latest stable release:

I don't use the camera much and so I find it manageable. FM doesn't work on this ROM and I am yet to search for a fix.

I just read this on XDA that if you are already on LG official GB, then it seems that the baseband would have got updated whereas CM7 and other custom ROMs depend on older baseband. So a simple flash would not really work in this case.

"Q: I flashed rom and GSM don't works. What's to do?
Q: I have new baseband, how fix gsm? (you have new baseband if you upgraded your phone to official 2.3.3)
A: Flash this: gsm fix (support for new baseband, this is not baseband itself).
WARNING: Data don't works, wait for new fix."

xda-developers - View Single Post - [UNOFFICIAL][ROM][stable:6.5.8,testing:6.6.1] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7)

[HOWTO] Flashing baseband (radio) via LGMDP.exe - xda-developers
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 14:06   #6304
Senior - BHPian

Amith,
Use mik's OS 6.5.8 running on CM7, use third party camera app for camera applications

Edit: as said above, easiest is to downgrade to froyo using KDZ.

get the original rom from here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944881

edit 2:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1301489

Last edited by govigov : 21st October 2011 at 14:10.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 14:12   #6305
Senior - BHPian

I can never thank you enough for your help govigov, sbkumar and clevermax.

I successfully flashed Mik OS 6.5.8 based on CM7 with ease. I had to downgrade to 2.2 as my phone was on new baseband.

PS: I read the PMs sent by govigov and sbkumar only after successfully flashing the ROM on my own.

I've few queries regarding the new ROM :
  • There is no battery percentage indicator, next to the battery icon, which is contradicting with the screenshots in the xda forum page.
  • There is no A,B,C... on the right hand side of the contacts list and it's a real pain to browse through the list. Earlier, I could scroll through the A,B,C... and quickly find the contact I wish.
  • Upto what frequency can I overclock my phone without causing any damage?
  • The min frequency is 245MHz and Max frequency is 600MHz ,as of now.
Old 21st October 2011, 14:32   #6306
Senior - BHPian

All those on Revolution Rom 2.7.1, update available in form of CheckRom RevolutionHD based on XXKI4 2.3.5. This one runs more smoother and is faster than the Revolution 2.7.1 based on KI3.
Time to update. Full wipe required before installing the rom.
[ROM][XXKI4] Leo & Check's CheckROM RevolutionHD V1.0 |NEW KITCHEN PRO APP| - xda-developers

@Galaxy Nexus :
It is said that its GPU is not as good as the one of Galaxy S II, Mali.
Will need to wait for the in depth comparison review between Galaxy S II and Galaxy Nexus.
Old 21st October 2011, 14:33   #6307
Senior - BHPian

Amith,

Settings > Cyanogenmod Settings > Interface > Status bar tweaks > batt %

Read here : CyanogenMod Settings - CyanogenMod Wiki

Just hit the first contact and you can see a scroller to your right, just move it down nad you can see the alphabets appearing. Just like you did in the stockrom.

I am running on powersave 245 - 600. Increase only step by step and check if the phone gets heated. It differs from phone to phone.

Last edited by govigov : 21st October 2011 at 14:34.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 15:28   #6308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I can never thank you enough for your help govigov, sbkumar and clevermax.

I successfully flashed Mik OS 6.5.8 based on CM7 with ease. I had to downgrade to 2.2 as my phone was on new baseband.

PS: I read the PMs sent by govigov and sbkumar only after successfully flashing the ROM on my own.

I've few queries regarding the new ROM :
  • There is no battery percentage indicator, next to the battery icon, which is contradicting with the screenshots in the xda forum page.
  • There is no A,B,C... on the right hand side of the contacts list and it's a real pain to browse through the list. Earlier, I could scroll through the A,B,C... and quickly find the contact I wish.
  • Upto what frequency can I overclock my phone without causing any damage?
  • The min frequency is 245MHz and Max frequency is 600MHz ,as of now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Amith,

Settings > Cyanogenmod Settings > Interface > Status bar tweaks > batt %

Read here : CyanogenMod Settings - CyanogenMod Wiki

Just hit the first contact and you can see a scroller to your right, just move it down nad you can see the alphabets appearing. Just like you did in the stockrom.

I am running on powersave 245 - 600. Increase only step by step and check if the phone gets heated. It differs from phone to phone.
I have set the Max to 710 and its stable so far. I tried with the Max possible option and the phone started to reboot automatically very often. Hence I have kept it at this level (I use the smartass governor ).

I use the Touchpal dialer. It allows me to search by name.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 18:35   #6309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
All those on Revolution Rom 2.7.1, update available in form of CheckRom RevolutionHD based on XXKI4 2.3.5. This one runs more smoother and is faster than the Revolution 2.7.1 based on KI3.
Time to update. Full wipe required before installing the rom.
[ROM][XXKI4] Leo & Check's CheckROM RevolutionHD V1.0 |NEW KITCHEN PRO APP| - xda-developers

@Invisible: I am trying to get my head around this since noon :( . I backed-up current ROM using CMW, wiped Data/Cache etc, installed the new ROM from CMW. Then I restored ONLY the data using the CMW Advanced Restore option, but then all the new Apps like new KitchenROM, JKAY's Settings etc were gone.

Now I am a lil stuck here, when I install the new ROM and restore Data i loose the cool new stuff. And if I dont restore from there I'm left with manual backup and restore options.

Please throw some light on my dilemma.

P.S: The "Backup All User App" option in Titanium Backup restores only the app or even the app data (like game states etc. )

Awaiting your response.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:55   #6310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
@Invisible: I am trying to get my head around this since noon :( . I backed-up current ROM using CMW, wiped Data/Cache etc, installed the new ROM from CMW. Then I restored ONLY the data using the CMW Advanced Restore option, but then all the new Apps like new KitchenROM, JKAY's Settings etc were gone.

Now I am a lil stuck here, when I install the new ROM and restore Data i loose the cool new stuff. And if I dont restore from there I'm left with manual backup and restore options.

Please throw some light on my dilemma.

P.S: The "Backup All User App" option in Titanium Backup restores only the app or even the app data (like game states etc. )

Awaiting your response.
Best way I recommend is doing Full wipe and installing stock rom than this. From CMW recovery do a factory reset, clear cache, dalvik cache, batterystats, also format system. Download the file from Intratech thread XXKI4 and flash it through ODIN. Use the CF Root XX_XEO_KI4 kernal to root the device.
Follow the same procedure through CMW recovery factory reset, Clear cache, dalvik, batterystats, format system and flash the Checkrom Revolution rom.
Once done install only apps from Titanium. This may be time consuming but it's worked the best for me, not had any issues what so ever with the Revolution Rom. Restore data from Recovery may be overlapping with Checkrom. Restoring data from recovery is not advised by Leomar.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 22:41   #6311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I am on mik_os's CM 7.1.0 ( Android version 2.3.7)

[UNOFFICIAL][ROM][stable:6.5.8,testing:6.6.1] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) - xda-developers

You should be able to see this on the page.
Latest stable release:

I don't use the camera much and so I find it manageable. FM doesn't work on this ROM and I am yet to search for a fix.
With 6.5.8 use the latest Franco.kernel 19.4bfs.

i am getting 3+ days (72 hrs +) of battery life with

Governer - my phone is using smartassV2 with 480-710

- more than two hrs of calls
- sms - i only receive - do not have any count.
- games (angry birds, touchpool, blackjack, traffic control, mousetrap, etc) all put together for 1-2 hrs.
- wifi as required
- 3g not much ( about 1/2 hr).

you may try other kernel by fserve - as per user reviews at xda it has better battery life. i personally prefer franco.kernel.

Last edited by santhoshs : 21st October 2011 at 22:44. Reason: ADDITION
santhoshs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 23:30   #6312
Senior - BHPian

After a 1 month stint with MIUI, I am back to CM7 now. Only thing which forced me to come back is the battery backup with MIUI. I will miss some features of MIUI for sure but I am trying to bring some to CM7 - the file explorer with root browsing and FTP server, the camera app etc.

Name:  shot_000001.png
Views: 560
Size:  50.6 KB

BTW, Used an app to restore the call history as is, and with that I could get all my call history back on CM7. The app is available in Market and the dev name is Indian. Used the same dev's app to restore all the sms as well. All user apps were backed up and restored using Titanium without a glitch. So basically I have all the apps with all user data preserved during migration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Awaiting your response.
Yes, backing up user apps will back up apps as well as their data. Just did that now

Recovery - ClockworkMod-Alpharev
Radio - 5.17.05.23
Kernel - 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod

Last edited by clevermax : 21st October 2011 at 23:35.
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:43   #6313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Did this one work for you ? I have tried this since yesterday and not got a single warning - either I am a very safe driver or this app doesn't work as advertised !
Yes. it works. I've tested iOnRoad with my carpool partners. It gives started warnings if you are about to reach 1.5 sec time in front of your car. I think time is calculated based on your speed & cars distance with the vehicle in front of you. There is a setting where you can changes this warning time also.

If you are not getting warnings means you are a safe driver maintaining sufficient distance with vehicle in front of you.
Old 22nd October 2011, 14:22   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdarshi.pali View Post

If you are not getting warnings means you are a safe driver maintaining sufficient distance with vehicle in front of you.
I am a safe driver but maintaining 1.5 sec gap in Mumbai is not possible
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:53   #6315
Senior - BHPian

Folks, any inputs on the new Xperia NEO V? Looks like an incredible phone for around Rs.17k. Best thing is Sony says it'll be upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich in a few months.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...-v?cc=gb&lc=en

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd October 2011 at 15:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks