Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2013, 12:03   #14386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

But the happiness was short lived. I used to access my Company e-mail through Good For Enterprise. Now after the rooting it won't work because my company doesn't allow 'Good' to be used in rooted phones :(

Thanks.
I think there can be no easy workaround , basically a secure software suit ( good) here is reporting the ROM and kernel version to your enterprise server and it is blocking the access. So suppose if you can find from where it is reading the info then you can write stub and fool it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm a bit puzzled here. How would your organization know that your phone is rooted? Why would they disallow Good to be used on a rooted phone? Doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Personally I have NEVER experienced any such case - be it email or any other apps. Rooting does not affect the functioning of ANY app. It just gains you admin rights to uninstall OE bloatware and flash custom ROMs.

Btw Touchdown by NitroDesk is by far the best Exchange email app I've used on Android.
Well how part is explained above.

Problem of the organization arise from security point of view.
Suppose if you are unlocking the bootloader then you can load it with a kernel with your custom configurations and then possibly you can insert a software ( or probably a malware ) which can snoop on the company email and leak the info.

Good is 3ed party and very basic , probably you need to wait for few months and see how strong the security suits are going to be very soon.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:10   #14387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a bit puzzled here. How would your organization know that your phone is rooted? Why would they disallow Good to be used on a rooted phone? Doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Personally I have NEVER experienced any such case - be it email or any other apps. Rooting does not affect the functioning of ANY app. It just gains you admin rights to uninstall OE bloatware and flash custom ROMs.

Btw Touchdown by NitroDesk is by far the best Exchange email app I've used on Android.
I don't have answers for both the questions :(

But this is the error message I got after entering the new PIN post wipe-off and reset, "Account Disabled - Good for Enterprise was not in compliance and has been wiped and disabled. Contact your IT administrator." I checked with the IT Admin and they said rooted phones are not allowed to access the system.

Good to know about 'Touchdown' but is it possible for us to configure corporate e-mail?

Edit: Thanks for the clarification amitk26.

Now I'm in a dilemma. Stick with a rooted phone with better performance or roll over to the stock ROM with mediocre performance but access to e-mails

Last edited by kiku007 : 4th April 2013 at 12:14.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:18   #14388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to know about 'Touchdown' but is it possible for us to configure corporate e-mail?
I never ever gave any of my phones (Android/BB) to my IT guys for configuration. I have just taken the settings from them and did it myself. What is so difficult in it anyway?
Old 4th April 2013, 12:22   #14389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I never ever gave any of my phones (Android/BB) to my IT guys for configuration. I have just taken the settings from them and did it myself. What is so difficult in it anyway?
Well even I don't have to give the phone. It's a simple online registration process and we get the PIN.

I'm a noob in this. So what settings should we be getting? Let me give a shot with 'Touchdown'.

Related discussion here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=18646547

Last edited by kiku007 : 4th April 2013 at 12:25.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:27   #14390
Senior - BHPian

Check out other software but if your IT department is careful enough to invest money in procuring good and then setting policy to check ROM I doubt they will allow any client not authorized by them to connect. If they do so then they have left a major loophole

Quote:
Quote:
Well even I don't have to give the phone. It's a simple online registration process and we get the PIN.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:35   #14391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Check out other software but if your IT department is careful enough to invest money in procuring good and then setting policy to check ROM I doubt they will allow any client not authorized by them to connect. If they do so then they have left a major loophole
You are right amitk26. Seems like a loosing battle. Gotta get back in line if I need to access e-mails. Don't want to violate any security rules.

Now if I can change the question, is there any damn way (Other than rooting) to improve the performance of a Moto Defy+?

Some of the stock apps (E.g. Music) are useless (for me at least) but consume a lot of resources.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:02   #14392
Distinguished - BHPian

Just upgraded to the 4.1.2 on my Galaxy S2. The phone looks refreshingly new. Have a couple of quick doubts:

1. Where is the task manager located now?
2. Couldn't figure out how to activate swype on this.

Would figure it out properly in the eve once I get free. Thank you Samsung.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:35   #14393
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Good doesnt work on rooted device. The same would be mentioned in the Good application page on Play Store and also the page where the instructions for Good are stored in your company

Quote:
But the happiness was short lived. I used to access my Company e-mail through Good For Enterprise. Now after the rooting it won't work because my company doesn't allow 'Good' to be used in rooted phones :(
Old 4th April 2013, 14:46   #14394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Yes, Good doesnt work on rooted device. The same would be mentioned in the Good application page on Play Store and also the page where the instructions for Good are stored in your company
Oops, I didn't check that!
Old 4th April 2013, 14:54   #14395
Distinguished - BHPian

People,
What's the feedback on Umi mobiles? Especially X2

Link
Old 4th April 2013, 15:12   #14396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right amitk26. Seems like a loosing battle. Gotta get back in line if I need to access e-mails. Don't want to violate any security rules.
I'd instead suggest be rooted and try a different app - Enhanced Email or TouchDown.

Of if you come across a great custom ROM then use its own Email app. From 2.3.6 onwards, the Android native EMail app supports exchange server.

Quote:
Now if I can change the question, is there any damn way (Other than rooting) to improve the performance of a Moto Defy+?

Some of the stock apps (E.g. Music) are useless (for me at least) but consume a lot of resources.
To remove stock apps, root is the only way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Yes, Good doesnt work on rooted device.
Now THAT sounds like a believable reason! I was wondering how (and why) the company IT guys will know the root status of your phone.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:16   #14397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd instead suggest be rooted and try a different app - Enhanced Email or TouchDown.

Of if you come across a great custom ROM then use its own Email app. From 2.3.6 onwards, the Android native EMail app supports exchange server.
Sigh .. buddy his corporate IT department is using 'good' because they do not trust native email client of android or 3ed party email clients.

In most of such solutions this is certificate based mechanism and in case server finds that certificate is not there it will bar the access and wipe the container this is done to allow BYOD concept.

Here container is security mechanism which is isolating personal app and data from enterprise app and data. As of now there are some security loop holes in this mechanism as this is not an OEM solution and 3ed party don't have access to everything.

But in coming days you will find corporate recommending device with features such as secure boot , trust zone, security policy for kernel etc.

Look at announcements around S4 many people have dismissed that there is nothing new and why it is priced high , but if you look closely in the announcements many gaps are plugged and device will be darling of enterprise customers though from consumer point of view it does not make any sense.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:01   #14398
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the discussion on Whatsapp a few days ago, Whatsapp support finally responded to my rants... but after a very long time.

They suggested the usual stuff to waste time like uninstalling and then installing the latest version directly from their website. The version on their site is more recent than the one released in the play store. Obviously, it did not help. The lag remains and I guess now I'll have to waste mroe time re installing Whatsapp+ based on the pre-holo version. WA did not even acknowledge that there are issues.

Some people here and also on the play store reviews are claiming that there is no lag in the recent versions whereas some (like me) are reporting significant lag.

Here is what I think is happening - those who have phones with around 1 GB of RAM and with fewer resident services taking up RAM seem to be those reporting no noticeable change in performance. What is most likely happening is that with more RAM, the phones must be caching the app and service most of the time. In that case, even though the new version is significantly heavier, it isn't being noticed as the phone has to just pull it out of the cache.

Phones with lesser RAM and with more service running would purge WA (not entirely, the service is always running) when not in use. You can see that that it occupies varying amounts of RAM - less when not in use). So when you need to launch it again, it has to pull it from the internal memory. Even on my phone, once the app is cached, the lag is much lesser. But use the phone a bit for other things, which leads to WA being purged, then you see very significant lag when you try to relaunch WA. Remember that this lag was MUCH lesser in the pre-holo versions.

So weather you notice it or not, and whether you have a higher end phone or otherwise, it seems clear that the recent Holo UI versions are taking up MUCH more resources. If every app starts going the WA way, then you can be pretty sure your upper end phone will also be on its knees overnight. The internal memory footprint itself has increased from some 9 MB to almost 15 MB. RAM usage is also significantly higher.

This much change just for some small changes in the UI? Does anybody still think this is an efficient well coded app? WA is now the slowest app on my phone by far. Far more complex apps load way faster.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th April 2013 at 17:04.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:17   #14399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Just upgraded to the 4.1.2 on my Galaxy S2. The phone looks refreshingly new. Have a couple of quick doubts:

1. Where is the task manager located now?
2. Couldn't figure out how to activate swype on this.

Would figure it out properly in the eve once I get free. Thank you Samsung.
Very true, after upgrading to JB, my phone feels like a new one to me in every aspect.

Just press the home button for 2-3 secs you will get that. I am using a custom modified stock ROM since November. There's no separate icon for TM in JB as far as I know.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-ss.jpg

Am not fan of Swipe from the day one I purchased the Swiftkey. May be other die-hard swipe fans can help in this.

Last edited by sajjt : 4th April 2013 at 17:23.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:42   #14400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Very true, after upgrading to JB, my phone feels like a new one to me in every aspect.
Did you loose any data i.e. contacts,messaging,images after upgrading to JB? What app did you use to back it up? Also what about the apps installed. Do they all come back once JB is up and running?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks