Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 09:40   #29851
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you so much! Followed your steps to the T and have my favourite keyboard back .

How to solve the problem of incoming calls ringing even when phone is on silent?
Test it - uninstalling Truecaller once & call your phone, when on silent & then when on dnd. Since login is online server based doubt if you will loose any data, plus you ain't deleting any contacts on phone.
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:47   #29852
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much! Followed your steps to the T and have my favourite keyboard back .

How to solve the problem of incoming calls ringing even when phone is on silent?
My pleasure Rush!

For the other problem, since I don't use Truecaller (skeptical) you may try troubleshooting it by checking advanced settings in Truecaller app which may bypass the phone's settings (I guess they have something like alerting the user of an incoming call even before the call is received)

OR
uninstalling truecaller dialler and checking if the settings work in stock.

I've applied this method for various issues and sometimes the advanced settings of the apps are the culprit.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:57   #29853
BANNED

I have replaced my Samsung S8 with a S20 Ultra. This is made in Vietnam. Lovely phone on Version 10 of the Android OS.

One point, if I get the latest version of the OS on XDA-DEVELOPERS on the S8 will the content be saved during the update. That is on Android Version 8. I will be loathe to download and reload the contents.

As we all know the OS support vanishes after 2-3 years.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:54   #29854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One point, if I get the latest version of the OS on XDA-DEVELOPERS on the S8 will the content be saved during the update. That is on Android Version 8. I will be loathe to download and reload the contents.
Most likely you will have to root the device to load the latest version of OS from XDA forums, where you will lose the data.

Alternatively, Samsung has a native app called Smart Switch which allows to migrate apps and data from your old phone to new phone. I was able to use the app to transfer photos and messages from my damaged honor 8 pro to a recently acquried Samsung M31.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2020 at 23:07. Reason: Typos
Old 8th July 2020, 14:01   #29855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One point, if I get the latest version of the OS on XDA-DEVELOPERS on the S8 will the content be saved during the update. That is on Android Version 8. I will be loathe to download and reload the contents...
Yes, your phone will be wiped, but if you back up the critical stuff like phone settings, whatsapp & pictures to google drive you should be fine. The only thing you will really lose is your music, other files if any and sms probably.
(Actually there are sms back up and restore apps as well if you want).
Old 9th July 2020, 11:31   #29856
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
when on silent & then when on dnd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
My pleasure Rush!
Sorry guys, I had reported it incorrectly earlier. Here is the real problem.

When the phone is on silent and the headphones are attached, it rings through the headphone. If I'm meditating or sleeping with the headphones, that wakes me up.

Any way to make it stop ringing through the headphones when the phone is on silent mode? It was like that before this stupid new update.

Thank you!
Old 9th July 2020, 12:02   #29857
BHPian

Quote:
When the phone is on silent and the headphones are attached, it rings through the headphone. If I'm meditating or sleeping with the headphones, that wakes me up.

Thank you!
Settings> Notifications> Do not Disturb

Check under "Allow exceptions" if any of the Calls from, Repeat Callers or Messages from option is On
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:22   #29858
BHPian

Quote:
Any way to make it stop ringing through the headphones when the phone is on silent mode?
There is a Sound Assistant app from Samsung. Download it from play store, go to advance settings->alert through headphones->turnoff toggle. Please check if that works.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:42   #29859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have replaced my Samsung S8 with a S20 Ultra. .
Are you experiencing any excessive heating issues with regular use or battery drain that most of the users of the Exynos powered S20 series are experiencing?

Last edited by bigron : 9th July 2020 at 12:44.
Old 9th July 2020, 16:55   #29860
BHPian

Got a LG V40 ThinQ for less than 30K. Seems to be a good deal. I get a Penta Camera setup with and a good Pro mode for both photography and Videos. The legendary LG QDAC with the phone and the BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone is just amazing. Elevates the music listening to another level. The OLED screen is lively and good for media content. Serves all purpose for me since V40 gets Android update and the LG UX 9.0 as well. So should be good for now and after a year or two as a backup phone for media and music.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 19:57   #29861
BHPian

Quote:
Any way to make it stop ringing through the headphones when the phone is on silent mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Settings> Notifications> Do not Disturb

Check under "Allow exceptions" if any of the Calls from, Repeat Callers or Messages from option is On
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
There is a Sound Assistant app from Samsung
Ok, just checked. Sound Assistant app doesn't work that way. So my previous suggestion doesn't hold good.

Suggestion by RavSam works fine. If you want to turn off ringtone in earphones, Do Not Disturb has to be turned on. Only Mute doesn't work. And there is customisation for it as well.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20200709195505_settings.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 21:23   #29862
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here has any experience using any of the Samsung S20 series?

I am in the market for a new phone and eyeing the Samsung s20+ but the heating and battery issues that users across the board have complained while using the Exynos powered phones is turning out to be a deterrent.

Any first hand take would be helpful.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 10:35   #29863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I am in the market for a new phone and eyeing the Samsung s20+ but the heating and battery issues that users across the board have complained while using the Exynos powered phones is turning out to be a deterrent.
I too am in the same boat. Was thinking about the One Plus series, but, they are Oppos with a different OS.

We are paying what others pay for SD, but, we still do not get SD and have to put up with Exynos.

I do not want to, but think, I will switch over to an iPhone again.
Old 11th July 2020, 11:06   #29864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I too am in the same boat.
Samsung really did screwd it with the Exynos. Unacceptabl quality and performance for a phone this expensive.

The thing with OP8 Pro is that they are not launching it fully via open sale. It's always out of stock with only flash sales happeing.

Then there is the issue of the screen tint and ghosting on the op8 Pro panels that many users have reported.

I have the pro max. It is exactly like the X I had earlier. Boring and bland.

Strangely, there is no premium phone on sale in the market right now that warrants a purchase. How unfortunate..
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 11:41   #29865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The thing with OP8 Pro is that they are not launching it fully via open sale. It's always out of stock with only flash sales happeing.

Then there is the issue of the screen tint and ghosting on the op8 Pro panels that many users have reported.
I know exynos gets a lot of hate in india but the chipset in my A50 works flawlessly. No heating or battery issues. Maybe I was lucky

I think One plus nord is launching soon. Its rumored to launch at an attractive price. With that demand for Pro and 8 might reduce and they might be forced to put them on open sale. So, anyone interested may wait for a month.

Most Viewed