Old 2nd May 2013, 13:47   #14821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, thanks... tried this: it didn't not work.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Won't flashing the latest gapps package fix this problem?
I am facing Google Play crash issue on my Nexus 7. It is running 4.2.2, and I tried flashing gapps different versions but the crash is happening always. I guess I need to wait for a newer release of Paranoid Android and then try the latest gapps with it.

In the meantime, I am side-loading any required app from my phone.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:09   #14822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Dear Thad,

what is the issue ? which phone are you using ? Can you not reflash the rom ?
Defy Plus. Rooted, but otherwise stock. No experience so far in flashing roms. I'm an android beginner, with almost no wizardry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Have you tried going to app manager & uninstalling the play store update? I guess it should be avaiable there.
Also clearing cache along with data might help there.
Yes, I have tried that: result was that play/market did not run and I just got a browser error

Quote:
Else fash a new custom ROM, its Defy
As mentioned above, I am not really comfortable with this stuff, ,although I guess it is heading in that direction

Quote:
Sorry for giving tried & not working solutions...
No problem! All suggestions have to be tried, and I'm grateful for all help

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Won't flashing the latest gapps package fix this problem?
Might do. Can someone guide on actually doing that? "latest" might not be appropriate: this is Android 2.3.6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
You might be able to find it as "Android Market" instead of Play Store. Happened to me once when I had uninstalled the updates.
I was looking for "play" and then learnt that it is called "vending"

Well, it might be factory-reset day. The internet tells me though, that this some people find this fault even survives a reset!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd May 2013 at 14:12.
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:50   #14823
BHPian

Quote:
Defy Plus. Rooted, but otherwise stock. No experience so far in flashing roms. I'm an android beginner, with almost no wizardry!

Might do. Can someone guide on actually doing that? "latest" might not be appropriate: this is Android 2.3.6?
Flashing a ROM and flashing a gapps package, both have the same method. Once you have a rooted phone with a custom recovery (I've always used CWM), you need to download the file (in .zip format) and place it on your sdcard. After that, reboot in recovery mode and flash the zip. Now, you might have a problem in finding gapps compatible with 2.3.6, so if possible, do upgrade to a 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 ROM and then flash gapps. From what I've heard, Defy has a great dev support, so I don't think you should have a problem in finding ROM's running on ICS/Jellybean.
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:05   #14824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As mentioned above, I am not really comfortable with this stuff, ,although I guess it is heading in that direction
I have been on CM7 roms on Defy since two years now. Just pick the best ROM (Wajk MIUI based on GB) and stop worrying. It is lot more stable than stock ROM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:22   #14825
Senior - BHPian

My Note 2 keeps losing 3G connectivity at least once a day. Once I put the phone in flight mode and take it out of flight mode, the connectivity is re established. Any specific reason why this happens? The phone is running on JB 4.1.2. Any help appreciated
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:55   #14826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
My Note 2 keeps losing 3G connectivity at least once a day. Once I put the phone in flight mode and take it out of flight mode, the connectivity is re established. Any specific reason why this happens? The phone is running on JB 4.1.2. Any help appreciated
It could be your service provider. I had this issue with Airtel but haven't noticed this ever since I moved to Idea.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:38   #14827
BHPian

Quote:
Most probably its an issue that your 3G service provider is on a roaming arrangement with some other operator. We have this issue in Vodafone and Airtel (in Kerala). Both these operators are providing 3G through Idea cellular.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:45   #14828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are on Airtel, then its 100% due to the service provider. I used to get lightning fast 3G speed on Airtel. But, since the court verdict, the 3G connections keep going ON/OFF frequently. I was not even able to recharge for a 3G data plan online due to "3G service is not available in your circle"

BSNL has vented out all its frustration by supporting the court verdict and publicly accusing Airtel, Idea and Vodafone for breach of conduct during 2009 3G auctions. So until, the court clears these providers, you have to live with it.
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:46   #14829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When service provider does not broadcast 3G neighboring cell in 2G then after going to 2G phone has no info of 3G cell and it remains there. When you go to flight mode and comeback search is done again and it camps again.
This wont happen always but only an issue when they have remapped the cells and not providing neighboring 3G cell info.
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:02   #14830
BHPian

Guys,
I did something stupid. I was upgrading from Defy MIUI GB 2.1.7 to 4.1.2 of Quark (20121018 build). I did a factory reset but I forgot to do a Wipe Cache and Divalik. I directly installed NIGHTY, kernel update, and gapps

Now I am not able to boot in custom recovery ( neither from the 4.1.2 menus or using power + volume -). The phone is working fine though. What should i do to get the custom recovery working?
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:27   #14831
BHPian

Download goo manager and install custom recovery from it. It will download the appropriate twrp recovery for your device.
Hope it helps.
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:32   #14832
Distinguished - BHPian

I did something stupid too <Blush>.

Well... the good news is I fixed my problem with Google Play repeatedly saying no connection. And, as it turned out, most other apps that required a net connection (and the working ones must have cached the ips)...

(In the meantime, which took most of today and bits of the last two days, I did all sorts of crazy stuff, the most sensible of which was installing 2ndinit and cwm, so when I want a new rom, now I'm ready. I used this and Titanium to clear and restore bits of the OS until I was pink in the face, eventually ending up with a very nicely restored system, on a wiped phone, that looked exactly like it had several hours previously, and had the same problems and then...)

... I looked at the network details in the system monitor and wondered why they were all wrong. I had been looking for the problem in the wrong place.

I have an Airtel Beetel modem connected to a Netgear Wireless modem. How many times have I advised others to make sure that they never have more than one DHCP server on their network? Err... lots.

Hmmm... glad I don't do this stuff for a living any longer! Although, it wouldn't be the first time it took me 100x longer to find the problem than to fix it.

I hate DHCP! Anyone know how to configure a fixed IP on a Defy+?

I'll ask google. But I think I've had enough of phone tinkering for a month or three. EDIT: Oh... yes, it's easy!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd May 2013 at 22:38.
Old 2nd May 2013, 22:56   #14833
BHPian

Quote:
I did something stupid too <Blush>.

Well... the good news is I fixed my problem with Google Play repeatedly saying no connection. And, as it turned out, most other apps that required a net connection (and the working ones must have cached the ips)...

(In the meantime, which took most of today and bits of the last two days, I did all sorts of crazy stuff, the most sensible of which was installing 2ndinit and cwm, so when I want a new rom, now I'm ready. I used this and Titanium to clear and restore bits of the OS until I was pink in the face, eventually ending up with a very nicely restored system, on a wiped phone, that looked exactly like it had several hours previously, and had the same problems and then...)

... I looked at the network details in the system monitor and wondered why they were all wrong. I had been looking for the problem in the wrong place.

I have an Airtel Beetel modem connected to a Netgear Wireless modem. How many times have I advised others to make sure that they never have more than one DHCP server on their network? Err... lots.

Hmmm... glad I don't do this stuff for a living any longer! Although, it wouldn't be the first time it took me 100x longer to find the problem than to fix it.

I hate DHCP! Anyone know how to configure a fixed IP on a Defy+?

I'll ask google. But I think I've had enough of phone tinkering for a month or three. EDIT: Oh... yes, it's easy!
Oops, that's lot of learning tinkering with a phone :-) There is an app called "Wifi Static" on Play to set static IPs.
Old 2nd May 2013, 23:20   #14834
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, it was a lot of learning, yes, but my head is not very retentive unless I use information regularly, so maybe I'll have forgotten next time. I've got some useful backups stored away for that time, though

Quote:
There is an app called "Wifi Static" on Play to set static IPs
Actually not necessary. Google took me straight to the info that there is an 'advanced' menu under the stock wifi setup screen which includes setting static ips

The best learning, and the one I strongly recommend to others, is the CWM (for fellow Defy+ owners, install secondinit) backup and restore facility. It has always bugged me having a device like this and not being able to do a complete system backup/restore.
Old 3rd May 2013, 08:40   #14835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Download goo manager and install custom recovery from it. It will download the appropriate twrp recovery for your device.
Hope it helps.
No luck, it says "No recovery found for your device"

Most Viewed