Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 12:00   #14896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
The uneven battery charge might happen depending on which apps are running when you keep the phone on charging.

As far as battery life is concerned, you seem to be quite a heavy user and thus battery coming down to 10% EOD is quite normal with most andriod phones unless it has a bigger battery/screen ratio.

IMHO, battery management apps are not of much use as they will also do the following functions

1. Turn data on/off
2. Reduce brightness
3. Reduce screen time out
4. Bluetooth/Wifi off when not required
5. Same with GPS

In case, you want to get more battery life i would suggest try to switch of auto sync and gps when not required. Plus, if you stay indoors also keep the screen brightness to 25%. I have got about 20 - 30 % more battery life because of this.
I have so far not used GPS on my Phone, auto sync intervals are an hour, will increase it. I guess right now my biggest consumer is the screen which is around 49% as I use it on auto brightness which I like. Will use it at 25% indoors and check the difference. Below is a screen shot of the battery stats, also what does the 22h on battery signify? Am new to Android
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2013, 12:01   #14897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Another query I had was, Initially my Gmail account was syncing the pics clicked on my camera to the picasa account, although they did not upload anywhere, the picasa albums are shown in the Gallery and there is no way to delete these albums. Any clues on this one?

Stop syncing the pics - This is found in account settings and this would stop the picasa pics from appearing in the mobile phone gallery!!
Old 8th May 2013, 12:11   #14898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Add a battery saver like 2x, it will increase your battery life. It disable the data and enables it every 15 min, when the phone is kept idle.
Will check this app out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Your call dropping might not be a network issue.
I've never been able to make our receive calls properly from any phone that I have had from my room at home, until I got my xperia Z.
Now I have no issues.

As for removing picasa albums, check this link out.
Might help.
http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...3KshE76N2fYTgQ
Many thanks Spruce Goose! all those irritating albums are gone now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Stop syncing the pics - This is found in account settings and this would stop the picasa pics from appearing in the mobile phone gallery!!
Thanks Headers! I had figured out how to stop the pics syncing, but was unable to delete the albums which the Gallery had created automatically.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:52   #14899
BHPian

Quote:

I have so far not used GPS on my Phone, auto sync intervals are an hour, will increase it. I guess right now my biggest consumer is the screen which is around 49% as I use it on auto brightness which I like. Will use it at 25% indoors and check the difference. Below is a screen shot of the battery stats, also what does the 22h on battery signify? Am new to Android
The 22h on the battery graph signifies that the battery has been not been charged for 22 Hours. So 24h 32m 16s signifies that the battery has not been charged for 24 Hours, 32 minutes and 16 second.

As for improving battery life you can do a couple of things apart from battery savers.
You can get a desktop dock for home and office and a car charger so that your battery is always charging when you are at home, office or driving.

You can get an external battery pack. Saw this Sony 7000 mah battery pack for about 5.5K.

Or you can get a big internal replacement battery for your phone.
That's if you don't mind a klunky phone.

Check out www.mugen-power-batteries.com
They have a 4600 mah battery they will effectively double your battery life. I had one of those on my S2 and I'd get about 24 hours between charges, when the stock battery wouldn't last more than 8.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:05   #14900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
The 22h on the battery graph signifies that the battery has been not been charged for 22 Hours. So 24h 32m 16s signifies that the battery has not been charged for 24 Hours, 32 minutes and 16 second.

As for improving battery life you can do a couple of things apart from battery savers.
You can get a desktop dock for home and office and a car charger so that your battery is always charging when you are at home, office or driving.

You can get an external battery pack. Saw this Sony 7000 mah battery pack for about 5.5K.

Or you can get a big internal replacement battery for your phone.
That's if you don't mind a klunky phone.

Check out www.mugen-power-batteries.com
They have a 4600 mah battery they will effectively double your battery life. I had one of those on my S2 and I'd get about 24 hours between charges, when the stock battery wouldn't last more than 8.
But I had charged my phone last night for around 6 hrs, so how does it show not charged since 24 hours? Or does it reset after 100% Charge.

I was under the impression that a battery should not be charged continously to ensure longer battery life. Is it not true for Androids?

Also I do not travel much and have the option of charging the phone at office and in the car, dont really feel the need for an additional battery. It was just after going through this thread and reading posts by various users about their impressive battery life that I began to worry a bit!

Thank you for the replies!
Old 8th May 2013, 13:39   #14901
BHPian

Quote:
But I had charged my phone last night for around 6 hrs, so how does it show not charged since 24 hours? Or does it reset after 100% Charge.
On my Xperia Tipo I think it used to reset after getting fully charged when on stock rom but now on Cyanogenmod rom it resets after battery is 90% charged.
So, if you charge your phone for a while and then unplug it before 90 or 100% then it won't reset.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:40   #14902
BHPian

Quote:

I was under the impression that a battery should not be charged continously to ensure longer battery life. Is it not true for Androids?

Also I do not travel much and have the option of charging the phone at office and in the car, dont really feel the need for an additional battery. It was just after going through this thread and reading posts by various users about their impressive battery life that I began to worry a bit!

As far as I know, the timer tests whenever you plug it into a power source.

As for charging the battery continuously, these phones have inbuilt battery controllers, all we have to do is plug it in when we want to and unplug it afterwards. For the first few times though it is advisable to flow a drop p cycle charge pattern. Let the phone dire out completely, then charge it for 8 hours afterwards. This will allow your battery tip be calibrated so that it sores the proper amount of charge
Old 8th May 2013, 13:44   #14903
BHPian

Quote:

The battery usage statistics will be reset once you cross the 90% mark. That's why its not showing your 6 hour charging. I am a bit doubtful about the "Android System" coming in second place after screen. On my Note 2 and my friend's S3 it comes after 5-6 items. Also, what's the screen ON time in that screenshot?

I had this "Android System" drain on my Note 2 after a recent OTA for which I had to factory reset to get it cleared

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 8th May 2013 at 13:46.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:55   #14904
Senior - BHPian

Updating after the first cycle of my battery, the battery on the HTC One is quite good, its bound to improve after a few cycles.

Was afraid as had heard HTC have poor batteries. Should easily give 5.5 hrs of screen on and 1.5 days standby.

Some apps are not yet optmized for snapdragon and just take a second or two to initialize, rest is instantaneous.

During long periods of inactivity, phone cuts off the data.
Name:  ForumRunner_20130508_042126.png
Views: 594
Size:  71.6 KB

Last edited by coolboy007 : 8th May 2013 at 13:56.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:57   #14905
Senior - BHPian

Ok Guys, its official now. The battery on my Note 2 easily lasts 2.5 days now invariably. Yesterday at 11:30 AM, battery was at 73% capacity. Then from 8 PM onwards till 3 AM in the morning, the 3G connection was ON, accidentally. Just now I have put it to charge at 17% charge remaining, since it started shouting frequently.

I guess it will be difficult to beat Note 2's battery performance among all the smart phones in the market. Hope it stays as it is for long.

Cheers !
Old 8th May 2013, 14:13   #14906
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I guess it will be difficult to beat Note 2's battery performance among all the smart phones in the market. Hope it stays as it is for long.
Actually I find the iPhone 5 battery performance comparable to the Note 2 (not with any scientific tests, but based on the regular usage pattern). I am using the iP5 and my wife is on Note 2. Both the phones are always on 3G/LTE or WiFi, and with medium to heavy usage both lasts for a day. My earlier iPhone 4S was quite bad in comparison.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:23   #14907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ok Guys, its official now. The battery on my Note 2 easily lasts 2.5 days now invariably. Yesterday at 11:30 AM, battery was at 73% capacity. Then from 8 PM onwards till 3 AM in the morning, the 3G connection was ON, accidentally. Just now I have put it to charge at 17% charge remaining, since it started shouting frequently.

Cheers !
After having messed around with different ROMs including CM and Carbon, I am back to Sammy's OEM bit + root. The dev ROMs are pretty buggy and really massacre the battery. Did a battery calibration exercise and a phone reset after which I started measuring battery performance which was rather disappointing. It has improved a lot now.

I keep the phone on 24 hours with 3G and get about 1 day and 19 hours.

BTW Are you switching off 3G/2G data connection at night? If I were to switch to 2G or switch off data I'd get the same battery life I guess I'd note the same battery life, 2-2.5 days or thereabouts.

PS - killed 2 apps that used battery via partial wakelocks, Kaspersky and Viber. Viber introduced an update this morning and I have shifted over the Norton for the mobile for the time being. It has extended my Note 2's battery life by a 2-4 hours.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th May 2013 at 14:28.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:46   #14908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

BTW Are you switching off 3G/2G data connection at night? If I were to switch to 2G or switch off data I'd get the same battery life I guess I'd note the same battery life, 2-2.5 days or thereabouts.
Yes, I am selective about 2G/3G usually. 2G is ON for like 3-4 hrs of the day and 3G for about 1 hour or so. Also, I always have Live Wallpapers. Yesterday I watched 2 TBBT episodes back to back (~40 minutes of video playback) and then the 3G was ON for like 4-5 hours. I thought the battery would have been dead by the time i wake up, but it was at 41%. Really strange! Touch wood!!
Old 8th May 2013, 15:16   #14909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
The battery usage statistics will be reset once you cross the 90% mark. That's why its not showing your 6 hour charging. I am a bit doubtful about the "Android System" coming in second place after screen. On my Note 2 and my friend's S3 it comes after 5-6 items. Also, what's the screen ON time in that screenshot?

I had this "Android System" drain on my Note 2 after a recent OTA for which I had to factory reset to get it cleared

Ok, will keep a watch when the battery meter resets. The Screen ON time is shown as 3h 54 mins.

The Android System has a really long list of packages in it and shows an awake time of 34 mins, dont know what to make out of it.
Old 8th May 2013, 15:47   #14910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
After having messed around with different ROMs including CM and Carbon, I am back to Sammy's OEM bit + root. The dev ROMs are pretty buggy and really massacre the battery. Did a battery calibration exercise and a phone reset after which I started measuring battery performance which was rather disappointing. It has improved a lot now.

I keep the phone on 24 hours with 3G and get about 1 day and 19 hours.

PS - killed 2 apps that used battery via partial wakelocks, Kaspersky and Viber. Viber introduced an update this morning and I have shifted over the Norton for the mobile for the time being. It has extended my Note 2's battery life by a 2-4 hours.
I have a rather complex algorithm set up in Llama to switch Sync and 3G data off at night and through out the night time, the battery drain is 1-2% Note 2 is so efficient in that case. With this kinda usage, I get around 48-49hrs on 3G network with around 3hrs of screen ON time (3G data and sync of FB, All google apps, Exchange sync are enabled through out other than at night).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks