Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 22:02   #14851
BHPian

My nexus 4 is yet to receive the update. Did the phone update by itself or did you force update it ??

Last edited by KINI : 5th May 2013 at 22:03.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:01   #14852
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,
Need some quick advice. Lost my Defy on Saturday in a mall and need to get another phone. Dont want to spend more than 18-20max. I looked around enough and I could not get anything better than defy in that price range. My primary requirements is :

1. Rugged phone which can survive my 2 toddlers. My defy survived with enough battle marks, bath tub experience, 3 rd floor fall, angry wall throwing etc
2. emails
3. browsing
4. Occasional gaming
5. Camera

After seeing everything except for Sony Xperia Z nothing matches Defy in ruggedness and I just dont have the heart to spend 35 on mobile as I am known for losing my mobiles!!!

I see eBay has original Defy for 7.2k after discount and a Moto Atrix 4g at 10k after coupon. Are these my only option???
Old 6th May 2013, 11:21   #14853
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The latest play store on my gnex.
Had been using it from the last month(by force installing the apk).
It is much better and cleaner than the previous one.
Infact, the color scheme is now much like the Android Market of the early days of Android.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:28   #14854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys,
Need some quick advice. Lost my Defy on Saturday in a mall and need to get another phone. Dont want to spend more than 18-20max. I looked around enough and I could not get anything better than defy in that price range. My primary requirements is :

1. Rugged phone which can survive my 2 toddlers. My defy survived with enough battle marks, bath tub experience, 3 rd floor fall, angry wall throwing etc
2. emails
3. browsing
4. Occasional gaming
5. Camera

After seeing everything except for Sony Xperia Z nothing matches Defy in ruggedness and I just dont have the heart to spend 35 on mobile as I am known for losing my mobiles!!!

I see eBay has original Defy for 7.2k after discount and a Moto Atrix 4g at 10k after coupon. Are these my only option???
If you're not worried about manufacturer warranty, look out for Sony Acro S. Its again a rugged phone, certified water and dust proof.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:40   #14855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
If you're not worried about manufacturer warranty, look out for Sony Acro S. Its again a rugged phone, certified water and dust proof.
Thanks. Its selling for 22k, any specific reason for getting it instead of Defy at 7.2k?

I mean 1.5 processor + 1 GB Ram + 12 MP camera seems to be the main difference isnt it?
Old 6th May 2013, 11:42   #14856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Thanks. Its selling for 22k, any specific reason for getting it instead of Defy at 7.2k?

I mean 1.5 processor + 1 GB Ram + 12 MP camera seems to be the main difference isnt it?
Yes, exactly and the HD screen also. Am not sure about the battery life but. Was suggesting this one since you told the budget is around 20K
Old 6th May 2013, 11:46   #14857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes, exactly and the HD screen also. Am not sure about the battery life but. Was suggesting this one since you told the budget is around 20K
Battery life seems to be bad but otherwise good bet for Defy but at 15k extra which means 2 more defies
Old 6th May 2013, 12:10   #14858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
My nexus 4 is yet to receive the update. Did the phone update by itself or did you force update it ??
It updated on it's own. I didnt force install.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:27   #14859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Has anybody checked in Alpha?
35K for the Xperia Z at Alfa as of last weekend. You could also order it off India Times Shipping for the same price using the promo code 'MOBDEALS', but that is a much slower process.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:44   #14860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
35K for the Xperia Z at Alfa as of last weekend. You could also order it off India Times Shipping for the same price using the promo code 'MOBDEALS', but that is a much slower process.
The best deal for Sony XZ I've come across has to be with next.co.in

http://www.next.co.in/phones/sony-xp...one-black.html

Rs. 4500 off with coupon NEXT4500. You get the phone + usual goodies (headset + cover) + a dual-sim el cheapo feature phone also free!

Net price to pay comes down to Rs. 34.5k only. Makes it quite a compelling buy in the 1080p 5" screen mobile space.

I am tempted but still waiting to see how the HTC One gets priced. If the difference is too big then Sony XZ it will be.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:05   #14861
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Congrats! Probably first to report S4 user here.
Lookin forward for further report from actual user. Please also check battery usage especially video playback.
btw how much did you pay? Did you purchase from retailer or elsewhere. Any freebies.
Thanks.
Battery is lasting for a day easily with heavy usage. I didnt get any freebies. Paid 41k for it. Bought from the mobile store.

Some more good things i find over s3

Camera can now save as animated GIF photos directly.
Photo with sound too is good option.
Dual shot is awesome to take family pic.
Pana - has also improved over s3.
Voice to txt function is improved. I was able to send SMS via this function.
SVoice has further improved
Charging time : Now is just 2.5 hrs from 10% to 100%
Gestures are OK but will need further improvements.

New function Safety assistance which you can select 4 number get activated on pressing volume up-down key for 3 seconds.
It send gps location as sms & photos from both camera as MMS. You can also set intervals too for re-sending.

Last edited by v&v : 6th May 2013 at 14:10.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:32   #14862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The best deal for Sony XZ I've come across has to be with next.co.in
Look out for the 'flash' code (12% off) deals on India Times Shopping. The price for the XZ & XZL through the code was 33,500/- and 31,600/- respectively.
My ZL (probably the first on Team - Bhp) was delivered a few minutes back at our Mumbai office, which is exactly a week from order.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:13   #14863
Senior - BHPian

I got the new google play a few days back on my Atrix 2. As a few users have mentioned, the new look is very clean and neat. I didn't have to do anything, one fine day I opened the play store and it was the new version. My phone is running JB 4.1.2.

On another note, I had posted earlier about how I dropped my phone and my LCD had starting spotting after that. Went to Motorola and no questions asked, they agreed to replace the screen ! The only issue was there were no Atrix 2 spares in stock so I had to wait a whole month. When I finally went in for the replacement, the service centre did a bad job and dust and fingerprints got into the screen (from inside !!). I took it back and the whole front panel was replaced for free (front glass, touch panel & LCD) and all in an hour.

My phone's as good as new now and all my plans for a change have faded away! Will probably wait for the much awaited 'X phone' !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th May 2013 at 16:16.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:55   #14864
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that I have got my hands a bit dirty with Android, got CWM on my Defy+ phone, along with some experience of using it to backup and restore, giving me confidence that, whatever I mess up, as long is the phone is, at least, bootable, I can put it back the way that it was at backup time, I will move on to doing some experiements with ROMS (or operating systems, I prefer to call them: ROM is the physical thing where they are stored!). Probably I'll start with MIUI, as per one of the recommendations received.

First I have a trip, for which I had better keep the phone familiar and reliable. Then I have a couple of wifeless weeks, with plenty of quite solitude for such tasks
Old 6th May 2013, 16:59   #14865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Look out for the 'flash' code (12% off) deals on India Times Shopping. The price for the XZ & XZL through the code was 33,500/- and 31,600/- respectively.
My ZL (probably the first on Team - Bhp) was delivered a few minutes back at our Mumbai office, which is exactly a week from order.
Well I stay away from the likes of rediff shopping, indiatimes shopping, timtara etc. Too many bad reviews floating around. Unless they agree COD, I wouldnt buy anything from them. Even with COD theres a chance of getting bad product and then a nightmare following up with their after sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks