Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 13:09   #12511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
It's around two months since I am using HTC one V but I am not able to access 3g services. I have complained to airtel again & again but they say everything is right on their part. 3g settings are not automatic on one V and they are manually adjusted as per operator's instructions. Please assist.
Go to settings - wireless and networks - mobile networks - select preferred mobile network to WCDMA/GSM. This is what I did in my xperia for 3G.
On the network bar if there is an H then it means you have 3g and an E means 2g data.
Old 14th November 2012, 13:53   #12512

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Im looking to a buy an Android phone within 15-16k. I know the budget is a bit on the lower side for any good phone but I was wondering if the Motorola Defy XT is a good buy right now @ 13k(available on flipkart) or is the xperia U better? Any other similarly priced phones available with secondary camera and a good battery life? Hows the battery life of the above 2 in real life usage? I'm looking for atleast 1.5 to 2 days. I'm not a very heavy user. I currently use an e5.

Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 14:16   #12513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So you are now using the India version or Poland? I'll try a reset next time it freezes before taking a final call on ICS or JB (both India versions) Have both roms ready to flash. The handset is behaving well so far after the battery pull. Time will tell. But I am certainly disappointed in this particular release. Hopefully the next will be well cooked like the Note 2 ROM.
Right now - India version. I am sure some binaries create issues when a simple upgrade is performed. A clean fresh install after a wipe will remediate many issues, including Battery life. I would say, give Indian JB a chance - run it for a couple of days and then make a call.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:30   #12514
BHPian

The official JB for S3 is not yet available thru KIES. People have been resorting to Odin or the forced "Firmware initialization and upgrade" trick to upgrade. I tried the latter trick but it didn't work for me.
But given the fact that samsung hasn't started seeding the firmware officially, they might be working on the stability issues mentioned by people here. Just a guess though
Old 14th November 2012, 14:34   #12515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post
Im looking to a buy an Android phone within 15-16k. I know the budget is a bit on the lower side for any good phone but I was wondering if the Motorola Defy XT is a good buy right now @ 13k(available on flipkart) or is the xperia U better? Any other similarly priced phones available with secondary camera and a good battery life? Hows the battery life of the above 2 in real life usage? I'm looking for atleast 1.5 to 2 days. I'm not a very heavy user. I currently use an e5.

Thanks
PM .anshuman - he has it. But honestly, in android, you should be happy with 1.5 days max Ideally, charging it once a day is a religious duty with us android folks. So should you.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:40   #12516
Team-BHP Support

Guess which phone comes out on top from Anandtech's review:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/g...nexus-4-review

Very interesting to read about the thermal throttling and how the guys did the benchmark tests with the phone inside the freezer in a ziploc bag!!
Old 14th November 2012, 14:47   #12517
BHPian

Updated my phone (un-rooted, TAKJU) to JB 4.2 via the OTA update this morning. Honestly, I am slightly disappointed. The phone seems to have become a tiny bit laggy compared to earlier. Also, the new home screen just plain sucks. I know its a matter of opinion but I just hate it. Maybe it will grow on me. Have not tried the 360 degree panorama camera mode or the new keyboard.

Note: Pinch to zoom is not enabled by default in the Gmail app. You need to check the option to auto-fit emails to the screen.
Old 14th November 2012, 16:31   #12518
Senior - BHPian

CWM has been ported to the Micromax A110. I haven't tried it yet, so am not making any claims of this method working. Will update when I do install it.

Steps and other info - http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/clo...10-how-to.html
Old 14th November 2012, 16:40   #12519
Senior - BHPian

hey any idea about the launch date for the nexus 4 in india? i checked with a couple of retailers like reliance digital and they had no clue. Its available on ebay.in, but what about aspects like warranty? Do google / LG have global warranties?
Old 14th November 2012, 17:05   #12520
BHPian

Oops! Nexus 4 sold out within an hour of opening

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...ld-out-2012-11

though I didn't got any info on number of devices sold. Seems like it'll take some time for this device to come to india as supply is not enough to cater to current demand.

Regards
SE
Old 14th November 2012, 17:18   #12521
BHPian

Question about Busybox, SU and CWM.

i9000
ZSJW4
XXJVU

I rooted my i9000 using CF Root 4.4 for JW4 and uninstalled busybox right after that. Yesterday, while in CWM tweaks menu, I got a prompt that Busy box is required, which is when I reinstalled Busybox. Ever since, except SU, other apps like CWM, CWM tweaks and Busybox aren't opening(check attachment). Other features of the phone are fine and unaffected.

Any idea about what might fix this ? Do I have to flash the kernel or the ROM again to set it right ?

Edit: So that this doesn't happen again, what exactly did I do wrong ? I've tried reinstalling the kernel and wipe dalvik cache and partition; but in vain.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sc20121114104300.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sc20121114104319.jpg  

Last edited by vinu_h : 14th November 2012 at 17:22. Reason: Additional info
Old 14th November 2012, 17:23   #12522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I changed my plan from 2g to 3g yesterday on my galaxy s. And I noticed that battery is getting drained out way to fast !!! Before it used to last 15 hours on full charge. But now it does not even make 12 hours. That too with browsing for only one hour ! Is something wrong with my phone or should I enable some setting to increase battery life?!

Also every half hour or so I get a small status at bottom of screen which says "refreshing sim data"and the 3g symbol goes off for around ten seconds and comes back! This started happening only after changing to 3g .

Any solutions friends?
15 hours and 12 hours seem to be comparable. I had my Atrix 2 lasting more than 2 days on 2G, but on 3G its less than 13-14 hours with usage similar to yours and full time exchange sync for office email Now, can you beat such a difference? The sim refreshing part I believe is because you're using 3G from a provider who doesn't have 3G license in that circle and apparently using roaming with some other operator. For e.g. Airtel in Kerala doesn't have 3G license but provide the same through Idea cellular. If on 3G services, I believe you've to learn to live with it or go for a phone with better back up.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 14th November 2012 at 17:24.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:48   #12523
Oxy
BHPian

Went on a hunt for my first android yesterday with a modest budget of 10k. Had the Micromax A110 and the Karbonn A21 in mind.

Got to see the A110 at Sangeetha mobiles in Marathahalli first and found it to be too huge for my liking, so struck it off my list instantly. Couldn't find the Karbonn model there. Next I landed up at Spice Hotspot and there my eyes happened to spot a cute little Xperia Mini Pro in white on the shelf. Love at first sight it was!! Got the sales exec to give me a demo and it left me pretty impressed, it had everything I was looking for. So went ahead and took the plunge.

Total damages: Rs. 10,500.

Too good a beauty this one is. Here are a few Pros and Cons:

Cons:

1. Relatively small 3 inch screen.
2. No too great battery life.
3. Comes with GB 2.3.4 (Upgradable to ICS 4.0.4 which I have not tried yet).
4. A pink back panel included in the box (can't ever imagine to put that thing on my phone).

Pros:

1. Comes with a 1Ghz Processor and 512 MB RAM, feels pretty snappy.
2. Decent 5MP camera with 720p HD video recording capability, also has a front cam.
3. Touch and type, has a slide out qwerty keyboard.
4. A screen guard and a 2 GB MicroSD card included in the box.

Last edited by Oxy : 14th November 2012 at 18:05.
Old 14th November 2012, 18:41   #12524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post

Thanks
Better than Defy XT is Defy+. Lower price, higher internal memory and more options of custom ROMs for customization.

If you prefer to remain stock, look for Xperia Sola or HTC Desire V. ICS out of the box with a real possibility of JB in the near future.

Secondary camera is not really a feature to look forward to in mid-budget phones as it would most probably be a measly 0.3 MP one. And as regards battery backup, if you get 1-1.5 days you should be happy!
Old 14th November 2012, 19:25   #12525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Updated my phone (un-rooted, TAKJU) to JB 4.2 via the OTA update this morning. Honestly, I am slightly disappointed. The phone seems to have become a tiny bit laggy compared to earlier. Also, the new home screen just plain sucks. I know its a matter of opinion but I just hate it. Maybe it will grow on me. Have not tried the 360 degree panorama camera mode or the new keyboard.

Note: Pinch to zoom is not enabled by default in the Gmail app. You need to check the option to auto-fit emails to the screen.
Mine is Gnex Stock on Takju but i havent yet received any update for 4.2 till now.

Most Viewed