Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 19:24   #28216
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Of late, I get pop ups which open the play store, when I click links from my Firefox. If I go fast enough, some random app would be installed.

What could be the reason?
Trick question or what? Classic symptoms of malware. :-)
Old 28th November 2018, 22:30   #28217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Trick question or what? Classic symptoms of malware. :-)

No. No tricks. Please see screen shots.

[IMG]Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1543424131965.jpg[/IMG]

Had just cleared data for Firefox. Samsung's malware scan did not detect anything. The redirects lead to apps like PayTM and UCBrowser.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1543424161491.jpg  

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 28th November 2018 at 22:41.
Old 29th November 2018, 01:27   #28218
BANNED

I suspect BSNL to be the culprit. See

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1087...om-popup-virus

So now, I changed the DNS servers on my ADSL to manual from auto, reboot it, Disconnect and reconnect the WiFi, and there is a remarkable change in speed and the pops are gone. Since the problem is not consistent, have to wait to see if this is a real solution.

I am now using Google's DNS.
Old 29th November 2018, 02:11   #28219
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using Google DNS on PCs, routers, phones, etc for years. Recently, I was made aware that it might not be the best of ideas, and I switched all my stuff to Cloudflare.

I'm not qualified to explain the whys and wherefores. I guess that, at the time, I read some stuff and was convinced. I probably, ahem... googled. My soul is long-since sold to google, for the cheap price of some convenience, but it was not hear to convince me that perhaps they should not also have all my browsing history down to the last detail.
Old 29th November 2018, 05:54   #28220
BHPian

Quote:

So now, I changed the DNS servers on my ADSL to manual from auto, reboot it, Disconnect and reconnect the WiFi, and there is a remarkable change in speed and the pops are gone. Since the problem is not consistent, have to wait to see if this is a real solution.

I am now using Google's DNS.
Hi can you tell me how to do this? Facing the same problem in my Galaxy S7. TIA
Old 29th November 2018, 08:42   #28221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... probably, ahem... googled. My soul is long-since sold to google, for the cheap price of some convenience, .
Lol. Ditto here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post

My method might not work with mobile data and applies to ADSL routers only.

Step 1 - From the device, connect to the router, login as administrator. Typical url would be 192.168.1.1.

Step 2 - You are now connected to your ADSL router. Things will differ depending on your router make, model, firmware version, eta. look for a tab / link page like DNS. Some times, under the "advanced" configuration settings.

Step 3- find some thing like "automatic DNS" or "obtain DNS servers automatically".

Step 4- Disable the automatic DNS configuration and enable manual configuration of servers. Usually by radio buttions or tick squares. This ought to enable fields where you enter IP address of the DNS servers you want. For Google DNS, use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the addresses. If there are more fields, you can leave them blank.

Step 5 - save and reboot the router so that changes are stored on it. (Use the appropriate link on the router itself, NOT the power button).

Step 6 - Ensure the device(s) use the new configuration by disconnecting and reconnecting WiFi.

Remember that for the devices, the DNS server is the router.

Possibly, there is some means of telling your device to use a custom DNS server, like Google, in this case, irrespective of how you connect to the net.

There ought to be a way to do this for mobile data too.

Hope this helps. Don't blame me if things go wrong, verify if this is appropriate for your setup. After all, security is involved.

Here, I guess the ISPs' DNS server seems to have been hijacked, sending all your traffic to the attacker's servers where some kind of script injection or redirects take place. Hence no malware or spyware or anti- virus will detect anything, because there is nothing on your device / PC. Using the "httpseverywhere" plugin or add-on in Firefox might help.
Old 29th November 2018, 10:04   #28222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Quote:
My method might not work with mobile data
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Recently, I was made aware that it might not be the best of ideas, and I switched all my stuff to Cloudflare.
I use this, keweonDNS (https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...urity-t3681139), and it works on mobile data and router alike. I had trouble setting it up on router so I've configured my laptop with the DNS servers.

To quote from xda:

1. Take the DNS Servers
2. Install the keweon Adblock Root Certificate ( <<< optional)
3. Change your Internet Router or your Mobile Device to it (using DNS changer app from play store)
4. Reboot (Router and PC, not for mobile)
5. Done! That's it.
6. See the Internet within a never seen way

There is a whole list of DNS servers that you can pick from.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:57   #28223
BHPian

Probably this has been asked before. Have the manufacturers stopped making smaller phones? I was looking for something with max width of 70 mm to replace my 3 year old oneplus X. Budget is 16k. But there is hardly anything available. The options available are flagships like Samsung S9 / Pixel 3, but are way over my budget. I find big phones unmanageable, be it keeping in trouser pocket or handling with one hand. Any decent options?
Old 29th November 2018, 12:08   #28224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I was looking for something with max width of 70 mm to replace my 3 year old oneplus X. Budget is 16k.
You could take a look at Nokia 6.1 plus. It is 71 mm wide and not very tall at 147 mm. Due to the notch, screen size is good enough as well. Honestly, I don't like large phones either, same reason as yours and also due to my tiny palm size making one-handed use very difficult. I am also keenly looking at Nokia 6.1 as my next replacement.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 29th November 2018 at 12:12.
Old 29th November 2018, 14:48   #28225
BHPian

Re: Google Payment Methods!

I added my ICICI debit card as one of the payment methods on google play store. Immediately received a text saying that Rs 50/- has been deducted from the card associated account.

What is this payment for? Should I have to dispute this with the bank?
Please advise!

Old 29th November 2018, 14:58   #28226
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone replaced the battery on their One Plus 3? If yes, can you please share details on the cost and procedure? Will the official One Plus store be able to do this?
Old 29th November 2018, 15:22   #28227
Team-BHP Support

Re: Google Payment Methods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

What is this payment for? Should I have to dispute this with the bank?
Please advise!
Card authentication charge. Will be reversed in a few days.
Old 29th November 2018, 15:59   #28228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
2. Install the keweon Adblock Root Certificate ( <<< optional)
Even though it is marked as an optional step, it has to be said that doing this is incredibly irresponsible; this potentially opens up attack windows whereby you lose all the protection (such as it is) of HTTPS and other encrypted services.

Doesn't matter if the root certificate is your best friend's, do not install any additional ones (beyond what your vendor packages by default) in your computer/device.
Old 29th November 2018, 16:06   #28229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Even though it is marked as an optional step, it has to be said that doing this is incredibly irresponsible; this potentially opens up attack windows whereby you lose all the protection (such as it is) of HTTPS and other encrypted services.

Doesn't matter if the root certificate is your best friend's, do not install any additional ones (beyond what your vendor packages by default) in your computer/device.
Fair point. I limit myself to using the DNS servers on my mobile and laptop.
Old 29th November 2018, 16:18   #28230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Has anyone replaced the battery on their One Plus 3? If yes, can you please share details on the cost and procedure? Will the official One Plus store be able to do this?
You can check the prices on OnePlus website. https://www.oneplus.in/support/repair-pricing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks