Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2017, 20:29   #26731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I forgot to add that budget is 15000 Rs. Sorry.
Having the same budget, have registered for Honor 7x on amazon! I don't usually buy brand new stuff be it car or mobile, but specs were very good. Do have a look.
Old 2nd December 2017, 21:43   #26732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I forgot to add that budget is 15000 Rs. Sorry.
Difficult to find any 5 inch devices these days. In that budget, probably Mi A1, Moto G5+, Honor 7x can be considered.
Old 2nd December 2017, 21:47   #26733
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
Difficult to find any 5 inch devices these days.
I think it's the opposite. It's difficult to find anything less than 5" even in the sub-10K range. Even the Nokia3 is 5". I was looking for a 4". But there are hardly any. Moto E4 is 5". Moto G5 is 5".
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:26   #26734
BHPian

Bought Honor 9i, mostly because Flipkart offered me 3k for my old Mi3 (it had problems and would switch off after a few hours of use & would switch on only after 20-30 mins, but worked well for the time it did).

So the price came to 15k. Paid CoD.

What I liked is the picture quality of the Camera & 18:9 phone aspect ratio, the phone can be hand-held effortlessly even though it's almost 6". The processor and 4GB RAM are par for the course as my phones are never used for gaming.

I could've easily chosen the Redmi Note 4 & saved 3-4k, but I wanted to try out Non-MiUI ecosystem. + Honor's better front camera is a small bonus.

Rest said, I'd recommend anyone the Redmi Note 4 unless they want exactly what I was looking for.

Btw, Flipkart exchange experience was 2/10.
TL;DR - AVOID! They behave like goons, are careless & handle the phone roughly (while it still belongs to you). Flipkart hasn't trained them & the customer care seems to have very little control over them.

The story : The blokes who came first ripped off the tempered glass screen protector. I offered they keep the protective case ('twas good as new) but they refused, which wasn't important until they almost dropped the phone twice! Then they started ranting that the phone should've been kept readily as factory reset & left. The attitude was very bossy and rude.

I reset it & had to wait till late afternoon till they arrived. On returning, the guy sees the phone & restarts it, doesn't wait 2 minutes & takes off leaving his rookie partner (who's even worse coz he doesn't have a clue about how to simply restart a phone & insists on a "battery reset", yet has quite an attitude!). The main guy only returns after 30 mins & checks the phone IMEI for the 6th time. No other checks.

I swear to God, if I hadn't factory reset the old phone, I'd have sent them back & gladly used it as a car dash cam or something. Now I'd already been thru all this and anyway wanted a new phone, so decided to bear with it.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 2nd December 2017 at 22:30.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:20   #26735
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am switching from an iPhone SE to a one plus 5t. Is there anyway I can transfer my WhatsApp chat history to the android device? I will be receiving the phone today.
Old 4th December 2017, 07:49   #26736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I am switching from an iPhone SE to a one plus 5t. Is there anyway I can transfer my WhatsApp chat history to the android device? I will be receiving the phone today.
I think WhatsApp supports Google drive backup. So theoretically you should be able to backup up from iPhone to Google drive and then restore to OP5t later. I haven't tried this though
Old 4th December 2017, 08:23   #26737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
I think WhatsApp supports Google drive backup. So theoretically you should be able to backup up from iPhone to Google drive and then restore to OP5t later. I haven't tried this though

For this you need to backup individual chats. Is there any way I can backup all the messages and restore on Android?
Old 4th December 2017, 08:38   #26738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is incredibly slow and didn't restore properly when I tried it. I finally gave up and used the opportunity to start afresh on WhatsApp. Most of the stuff on WhatsApp is junk anyway and I haven't missed anything yet on the new phone (5 months now).

There are some online references that detail a way in which you need to manually copy over the local backup folder to the new phone.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:48   #26739
BHPian

Quote:

Whatsapp for iPhone backs up and restores to iCloud only.
The android version works only with GDrive. Getting whatsapp chats from iOS to Android is a lot of work, and not worth the effort. There are some paid application like backuptrans ( i think) for PC, which might do the job.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:03   #26740
BHPian

Quote:
A simpler Jugaad solution - backup respective chats as email & use them in the new phone (if doesn't get restored onto whatsapp, save them in your email drafts)
Old 4th December 2017, 19:54   #26741
BHPian

Flipkart is running a sale on Dec 7-9. Pixel 2 will be 40k (minus exchange value if you return an old phone). Also heard that Mi A1 will get a discount of 2k. Galaxy S7 has exchange offer of 5k (price will be 25k minus exchange value of old phone)
Old 4th December 2017, 22:26   #26742
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my OnePlus 5T earlier today.

Initial impressions - commendable tuning by the developers. Makes my Galaxy S8 Plus feel a generation older in comparison, despite being released in the same year and with almost the same internals. Maybe the 8 Gigs of RAM are proving their worth? Also, Snapdragon over Exynos any day. Can't beat the gorgeous display of the S8 Plus, though.

Camera is above average. My iPhone 7 Plus has a much better dual shooter than this. Read somewhere that they ditched the 2nd telephoto lens of the 5 in favor of a low light sensor in the 5T. Seems like a downgrade, although I have yet to check how effective it was on the 5.

Solidly built, too.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th December 2017 at 22:27.
Old 5th December 2017, 07:40   #26743
Senior - BHPian

Even I received the One Plus 5T yesterday. Liking the experience, however, can anyone tell me how to switch off automatic app updates ? I am coming from 3 years of iOS usage so not much wary of the Android scene here.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:50   #26744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even I received the One Plus 5T yesterday. Liking the experience, however, can anyone tell me how to switch off automatic app updates ? I am coming from 3 years of iOS usage so not much wary of the Android scene here.
Go to Play store>settings>Auto-update apps.
you get 3 options:
1. Do not update apps
2. Update any time (even on mobile data)
3. Update over Wi-fi only (this will be the default)
Old 5th December 2017, 09:49   #26745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Camera is above average. My iPhone 7 Plus has a much better dual shooter than this. Read somewhere that they ditched the 2nd telephoto lens of the 5 in favor of a low light sensor in the 5T. Seems like a downgrade, although I have yet to check how effective it was on the 5.
I believe Oneplus has messed up with the 5 to bring the 5T and originally, the 5 wasn't anywhere close to perfect either. Though a supposedly better dual camera implementation, the pics of the 5 aren't great and many tends to come out blurred.

Coming to the 5t, for the extra .5 inch screen space they have compromised on the camera and on the audio capabilities of the phone with the new extra sized screen now, probably, occupying the space of the earlier Telephoto camera(which provides optical zoom) and the Mics(which makes Vlogs better). These can be observed in the comparison videos posted by FoneArena and GeekyRanjit in Youtube.

Even GSMArena is of the opinion that the 5t practically has only one camera with the second coming into action very rarely or almost never. Their overall rating for the phone is low too.

So, basically Oneplus shows great specs on paper, good build quality on the hand, but with sub-par implementation which isn't a surprise as they have such a short release cycle where all they can care about is the specs.

Even the Oneplus 5 is a poor phone with a poor camera and poor in-ear audio capabilities and I believe it is nowhere worth the 30k that Oneplus sells it. On the positive side, the phone does handle apps better and the Dash charging is amazing, but when it hugely lacks on the core capabilities the other shining elements does very little to create a positive impression.

Wouldn't recommend Oneplus, for all they care about is putting together some great specs with some great materials without applying the Brains. I think they took the adage "Time is Money" pretty seriously.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks