Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 18:34   #11431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hey Guys.
Got my Motorola Razr few days back and loving it. Hope i have a long and trouble free ownership.I am loving it!
Congrats! Your Razr won't give you any issues. 9 months of use has left me admiring Moto's hardware quality. And it has been compared to my IP4s at all times for build, stability and radio performance. It has kept pace at every step.

The only reason I am considering selling it is that Moto's planning to close Ops in India.
Old 16th September 2012, 20:07   #11432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
WajkIUI has Screenshot app in-built. Go to Settings->Toggle Settings->Customize toggles and look for Screnshot.
Thanks I was looking for the built-in app.
Old 17th September 2012, 09:32   #11433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even H/W I would say is almost comparable.

CPU on S2 is 1.2GHz Cortex A9 + Mali Graphics (which is ARM based Graphics)
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910..._s_ii-3621.php

Atrix-2 is also 1GHz Cortex A-9 + PowerVR SGX 540
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_atrix_2-4199.php

(Though GSM arena says its 1.2, I think it is 1GHz)

The main difference is about Samsung's service network. Moto has nothing to offer there.
With ICS, at least device wise its very good. I just hope I dont get any device failures !
Yes, but Mali 400 is superior to PowerVR SGX 540. Also, the Exynos implementation of A9 is superior. Between, I have two devices powered by Power VR SGX540, a Tab 2 and a BB Playbook. Also, added an Atrix 2 to the lot yesterday
Old 17th September 2012, 09:51   #11434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

Yes, but Mali 400 is superior to PowerVR SGX 540. Also, the Exynos implementation of A9 is superior. Between, I have two devices powered by Power VR SGX540, a Tab 2 and a BB Playbook. Also, added an Atrix 2 to the lot yesterday
Right.
The Mali400 GPU has multicores (Not sure how many) & its performance is better even than the overclocked sgx540.

OT: Was wondering what GPU is used in ip5? Is it the same quadcore GPU from the new iPad?
And, does the RAM play imp role is graphics performance? Say same GPU on 1 gb vs 512 mb RAM. FPS will be better, but any improvement in rendering?
Old 17th September 2012, 10:14   #11435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Right.
The Mali400 GPU has multicores (Not sure how many) & its performance is better even than the overclocked sgx540.

OT: Was wondering what GPU is used in ip5? Is it the same quadcore GPU from the new iPad?
And, does the RAM play imp role is graphics performance? Say same GPU on 1 gb vs 512 mb RAM. FPS will be better, but any improvement in rendering?
Mali 400 in S2 & S3 is a quad core GPU if am correct. S3 got it running in a higher clock speed though. iPhone 5 is said to be using Power VR SGX543 which is a dual core implementation. RAM of course play important role in graphics. Both the amount and the bus speed of it. Rendering will be smooth with higher RAM, but within the limits of the processing capability (drawing capability)
Old 17th September 2012, 13:55   #11436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Tried Google Maps for navigation today. Without a network connection, it is useless.

I had saved Mumbai maps for offline use, so it did show POIs and roads but:

1. No turn by turn guidance
2. No re-routing
The only way out (Crude) is to first get directions on your cell using the network (2G/3G/Wifi) and then turn it off and follow the same route. Of course you lose on the re-routing thing.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:16   #11437
Senior - BHPian

My NOTE is showing display error (lines) sometimes. It becomes normal once power button is pressed. What could be the reason? Its just one month old
Old 17th September 2012, 16:05   #11438
Senior - BHPian

Review: WIUI ROM for Motorola Defy+

So I've tried many ROMs on my Galaxy Ace and Motorola Defy+. But nothing comes as close to perfection as WajkIUI Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM. Before flashing this, I was on CM10 JB nightly build of Aug 28, 2012. Granted, it brought JellyBean experience to the Defy. But there were some real issues in it. Primary ones included - a very high battery drain (12-15 hours on 3G, with minimal calls/SMS/WhatsApp etc), data connectivity would not turn back on in morning and significant lag in opening the stock dialer, contacts and messaging app. Then there were many apps which were giving FC issues. I could bypass some issues by installing repalcement apps like Touchpal Contacts+Dialer and Go SMS Pro. But battery and data issues was making this a no-go for daily use.

I then came across WajkIUI's builds. He has made GB, ICS and JB ROMs. But ICS and JB are still experimental and I didn't want to take a chance. Although the Defy is a very well-spec'ced phone, I felt ICS/JB was straining it's hardware. So I decided to flash the 2.3.7 GB Build.

Boy oh boy, this one is a real beauty! Right from the visual appeal (fresh, fluid, a bit iPhone-isqe), memory utilization (very small RAM footprint) and the best part - a very well optimized battery. In the first two days of running with the same (probably a bit more) usage, I was able to extract 21 hours with 3G always on and about an hour of BT, GPS & WIFI thrown in as well!

There are some distinict differences vis-a-vis stock or other custom ROMs that I';ve seen in this one. There is no App Drawer and all app icons are placed on the homescreen itself. While this increases the number of screens, it reduces one click as well, which is otherwise required to access apps.

I find this ROM highly intuitive. Features for which you would otherwise need to download apps are in built (e.g. Call Blocker/Firewall, Better Battey Stats, Screenshot, 3G Watchdog etc. are already included). The Toggle screen is one full page and you can have upto 12 toggles. Very useful!

My Defy is significantly snappier with this ROM. Part of this is attributed to the fact that CPU is overclocked to 1.1 GHZ. But otherwise also, the dialer, phonebook, SMS & Browser apps open up in a snap. I have not required any third-party/replacement apps to perform basic phone functions. Though the stock browser is quite capable, I still chose to go with Dolphin.

I would definitely recommend this ROM for Moto Defy users. It is fast, stable and instantly lovable! Attached are screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1510.54.32.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.29.15.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.29.59.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.30.07.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.30.15.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.31.11.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.54.53.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1511.57.58.jpeg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2012.09.1716.00.41.jpeg  

Old 17th September 2012, 16:56   #11439
BHPian

Re: Review: WIUI ROM for Motorola Defy+

Quote:
So I've tried many ROMs on my Galaxy Ace and Motorola Defy+. But nothing comes as close to perfection as WajkIUI Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM.
You're the N'th person on this planet who is praising WajKiUI Its a real winner for Defy/Defy+. Regarding RAM usage, please do get us an update after 1-2 days of random usage. I always had this RAM leak issue on this ROM with my Defy. It starts off with around 200+ MB of free RAM and after 1-2 days, it just consumes a lot more which settles around 90-100 MB of free RAM. I think the lowmem killer of the kernel is the culprit. Just to confirm

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 17th September 2012 at 16:57.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:06   #11440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I've tried many ROMs on my Galaxy Ace and Motorola Defy+. But nothing comes as close to perfection as WajkIUI Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM. Before flashing this, I was on CM10 JB nightly build of Aug 28, 2012. Granted, it brought JellyBean experience to the Defy. But there were some real issues in it. Primary ones included - a very high battery drain (12-15 hours on 3G, with minimal calls/SMS/WhatsApp etc), data connectivity would not turn back on in morning and significant lag in opening the stock dialer, contacts and messaging app. Then there were many apps which were giving FC issues. I could bypass some issues by installing repalcement apps like Touchpal Contacts+Dialer and Go SMS Pro. But battery and data issues was making this a no-go for daily use.
Nice report on the ROM, though, somehow the screenshots look washed out to me.
You should have tried the 12 September JB ROM from Quarx before switching back to GB.
I am just waiting for the new build (hopefully should come this week), though JB nightly is far better than CM 7.1.1 for me. No battery issues. No data issues for me so far. But then I have just a couple of apps installed and I don't tinker around the phone either.
Old 17th September 2012, 17:16   #11441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
You're the N'th person on this planet who is praising WajKiUI Its a real winner for Defy/Defy+. Regarding RAM usage, please do get us an update after 1-2 days of random usage. I always had this RAM leak issue on this ROM with my Defy. It starts off with around 200+ MB of free RAM and after 1-2 days, it just consumes a lot more which settles around 90-100 MB of free RAM. I think the lowmem killer of the kernel is the culprit. Just to confirm
On random usage/checking, I see anywhere between 175-210 MB free. Will report more after more days. Its been only 3 days till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nice report on the ROM, though, somehow the screenshots look washed out to me.
You should have tried the 12 September JB ROM from Quarx before switching back to GB.
I am just waiting for the new build (hopefully should come this week), though JB nightly is far better than CM 7.1.1 for me. No battery issues. No data issues for me so far. But then I have just a couple of apps installed and I don't tinker around the phone either.
I'm quite done with JB/ICS. I don't like the look/feel of it too much. I was hoping for fluidity but that wasn't as much as I expected, especially with the number of apps I run. But really, the data and battery were the biggest deal breakers.

How much battery are you getting?
Old 17th September 2012, 17:21   #11442
Senior - BHPian

The Micromax A90 is a re-branded "Explay Infinity". The russian mobile site gives a good review of it though - http://mobile-review.com/review/explay-infinity.shtml

I am still unable to get it at stores here in Bangalore. No, I don't want to buy it online as i want to exchange my P500
Old 17th September 2012, 17:23   #11443
Senior - BHPian

@nishant:

Battery lasts one day if I keep 3G on for a couple of hours.
Without 3G/ data on, the battery lasts for more than 2 days.
Old 17th September 2012, 20:22   #11444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Mali 400 in S2 & S3 is a quad core GPU if am correct. S3 got it running in a higher clock speed though. iPhone 5 is said to be using Power VR SGX543 which is a dual core implementation. RAM of course play important role in graphics. Both the amount and the bus speed of it. Rendering will be smooth with higher RAM, but within the limits of the processing capability (drawing capability)
Mali 400 is a single core. The quad core version is called Mali 400 MP.
And as bhp_maniac mentioned its the same one which is used in S2 and S3.

Hence its not apple to apple to come S2/S3 GPU with Power VR 540 which is a single core. But having said that even if one compares
Mali-400 single core, to Power VR 540, it comes out better. Now Apple uses what is called Power VR 543. At least as per what I have
read the quad core version of 543 is much better than Mali-400 MP quad core.

Arm has also T604 version which supports Open GL 3.0. But I dont if it has found its way into any phones. The recently announced Exynos 5 includes this GPU.
Last but not least raw power alone of the GPU does not matter. If they dont get enough memory back-up, the throughput of the GPU goes down. You need a fat
CPU, GPU to memory access. (+1 to bhp_maniac mentioned)

Add to the fact both CPU and GPU cannot run extremely fast at the same time, as power dissipation becomes a problem and that may cause thermal concerns.
So depending many of such requirements CPU or GPU performance gets moderated.
Old 17th September 2012, 21:28   #11445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So I've tried many ROMs on my Galaxy Ace and Motorola Defy+. But nothing comes as close to perfection as WajkIUI Gingerbread 2.3.7 ROM.

Boy oh boy, this one is a real beauty! Right from the visual appeal (fresh, fluid, a bit iPhone-isqe), memory utilization (very small RAM footprint) and the best part - a very well optimized battery. In the first two days of running with the same (probably a bit more) usage, I was able to extract 21 hours with 3G always on and about an hour of BT, GPS & WIFI thrown in as well!
Now you know why I have no plans of going back to JB. This ROM beats JB in every aspect I care about. Battery life is best, without any circus on our side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks