Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 19:37   #11461
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I had mentioned earlier that I'd be selling off my Moto Razr as Motorola are shutting down ops in India.

The dealer also mentioned that he had stopped dealing in Moto phones due to issues with service, customer perception (really unfortunate, as their hardware is top notch) and was aware of Moto's plans to move out of this country. Needless to say I didn't get much in exchange, rather embarrassing to mention here.

Had to decide between the SGS3 and the HTC 1X. The Sammy has a lovely display but the plasticky feel sucks..oh well, I knew about that anyways. The HTC felt better build quality-wise but something about the SGS3 appealed to me. After much thought and playing with both phones (not plastic dummies) I decided on the SGS3. Got a 32GB Pebble Blue model. It is currently being charged and data is being restored.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th September 2012 at 19:57. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2012, 20:11   #11462
BANNED

NEW update for Galaxy NOTE

Hi All

Today i was prompted for a software update for my note and after update it was a major change (atleast for me) from the time i bought it in may2012.

The interface is drastically changed and the "applications" has now changed to an icon

Samsung chat on was added along with update

I am attaching the the pics of the interface for reference and leave the rest to other note owner to comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-notedet.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-notea.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-note2.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-note1.jpg  

Old 18th September 2012, 21:36   #11463
BANNED

Here is the link to all the new features available in this update

http://in.androidauthority.com/samsu...tability-2513/

Last edited by joshguy : 18th September 2012 at 21:36. Reason: forgot link
Old 19th September 2012, 00:33   #11464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
Thanks to posts from Nishant & Samurai i too moved from JB / ICS to WajKiUI. Its only been 12 hours since i am on it but can say that the smooth ness and stability is pretty amazing. and most importantly the battery life i observed since full charge this morning. I normally do a full charge around 8am. and by the time i get to office around 10, the battery is down by about 10%-15% on CM10/9 due to morning mails / whatsapp & tbhp

But with same useage on WajKiUI today morning its almost an hr more then usual and the battery is at 91%. so thats only 9%. which speaks for itself. I shall use it for atleast a couple of days before giving my views about this in detail.

Thanks.
While this is perhaps the best custom Rom for Defy, I did find two shortcomings. There is no speed dial option and the "reject call with SMS" function has just one message. I would have liked more options there.
Old 19th September 2012, 11:36   #11465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
While this is perhaps the best custom Rom for Defy, I did find two shortcomings. There is no speed dial option and the "reject call with SMS" function has just one message. I would have liked more options there.
ROM is working well. its doing all that i need. but i observed 2 imp things and thought of sharing with all here. Battery life has increased quite well. and a screen shot from the CPU SPY.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120919_081829.jpg Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120919_082844.jpg

I had one doubt, My defy+ main power button has gone loose and in earlier CM 9 / 10 i had managed to enable the "Volume Rocker wake". In this rom too i have found this option, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Nishant & Samurai can you please check if this works for you and let me know.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20120919_114754.jpg
Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 19th September 2012 at 11:53.
Old 19th September 2012, 11:51   #11466
BHPian

Hi Experts,

After being a Nokia user for more than 12 years, I am planning to upgrade to the Android for the first time.

To take this plunge I am planning to buy Samsung Galaxy S3 for which I have got the lowest quote of 34,500 from a Samsung Cafe dealer. There are few dealers which are offering 1 year insurance and screen guard at 37,000.

Is insurance really useful? Because in case of theft they need a FIR under a specific IPC section (probably u/s 389) otherwise no claim shall be given. We all know, how the police work and how tough is to get such FIRs registered.

EDIT: Is it an advisable upgrade?

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 19th September 2012 at 11:54.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:45   #11467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I had one doubt, My defy+ main power button has gone loose and in earlier CM 9 / 10 i had managed to enable the "Volume Rocker wake". In this rom too i have found this option, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Nishant & Samurai can you please check if this works for you and let me know.
It works, provided you hold the vol button pressed for couple seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Is insurance really useful? Because in case of theft they need a FIR under a specific IPC section (probably u/s 389) otherwise no claim shall be given. We all know, how the police work and how tough is to get such FIRs registered.
You don't have to report theft. Police will not register FIR for mobile theft because it is more work for them. Instead, report the mobile as lost, then they have no obligation to take action. They will register the complaint and give you acknowledgement. I did that when my HTC Touch Diamond 2 was stolen, the insurance enabled me to buy mobile worth 13K due to depreciation.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:52   #11468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It works, provided you hold the vol button pressed for couple seconds.
Hello Samurai,

Thanks a lot. I tried but it didnt work. So i followed the below steps and now its working. Honestly, NO CLUE what and how it happened.

1. Disabled it
2. restarted phone.
3. Enabled it
4. Restarted Phone.

& its working now. thanks once again.
Old 19th September 2012, 14:22   #11469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
ROM is working well. its doing all that i need. but i observed 2 imp things and thought of sharing with all here. Battery life has increased quite well. and a screen shot from the CPU SPY.
I see you are using 2x Battery Saver. Does it affect Whatsapp? I suspect it is delaying delivery/receipt of messages because the data is disabled either when the screen goes off or after some minutes of inactivity. So what happens if someone is trying to ping you? You won't get it unless you unlock/wake the screen?

OT - which theme are you using in the last screenshot?
Old 19th September 2012, 14:41   #11470
BHPian

Hi few days back i got my firmware updated to 4.04 in my galaxy note. It was a pretty smooth experience since then.
I was not any way expecting any update these days. Out of blue, Yesterday got an update 85MB.
Most of the changes seem to be cosmetic. Biggest notable changes
_ home screen and app screens look slick
_ the gallery has become awesome with interesting screen flow options.very intuitive.

But I'm facing a bit of issues with stability.
_icons of apps storedin sd card go missing
_screen freeze (couple of times)
Old 19th September 2012, 14:55   #11471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see you are using 2x Battery Saver. Does it affect Whatsapp? I suspect it is delaying delivery/receipt of messages because the data is disabled either when the screen goes off or after some minutes of inactivity. So what happens if someone is trying to ping you? You won't get it unless you unlock/wake the screen?

OT - which theme are you using in the last screenshot?
what 2x does is that every time you lock your device it disables the data. and it connects to data every 15 mins and fetches what ever you may have recd in that duration. so all your whatsapp / emails etc would be delivered to you then. So, ya you technically dont have "push" service. everything happens once every 15 mins or when ever you unlock your phone.

The theme i am using is "DARK"
Old 19th September 2012, 15:14   #11472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

what 2x does is that every time you lock your device it disables the data. and it connects to data every 15 mins and fetches what ever you may have recd in that duration. so all your whatsapp / emails etc would be delivered to you then. So, ya you technically dont have "push" service. everything happens once every 15 mins or when ever you unlock your phone.

The theme i am using is "DARK"
And I'm guessing other battery saving apps work in the same way? Although I had bad experience with Juice Defender! I'm now on Easy Battery Saver.

OT why doesn't the Android app display my signature?
Old 19th September 2012, 15:29   #11473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I'm guessing other battery saving apps work in the same way? Although I had bad experience with Juice Defender! I'm now on Easy Battery Saver.

OT why doesn't the Android app display my signature?
ya most battery apps work the same way. Another thing i got to know is the FB app battery drain. I removed it and now use m.facebook.com on my browser. The app killed my ram & battery.

About the signature; Open the Tbhp App and go into Settings and then scroll down to Signature Settings.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-download.jpg

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 19th September 2012 at 15:32.
Old 19th September 2012, 15:38   #11474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ya most battery apps work the same way. Another thing i got to know is the FB app battery drain. I removed it and now use m.facebook.com on my browser. The app killed my ram & battery.

About the signature; Open the Tbhp App and go into Settings and then scroll down to Signature Settings.
Why remove the app? Can't you disable sync in it alone?

I have checked the signature option but it still doesn't show!
Old 19th September 2012, 15:47   #11475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why remove the app? Can't you disable sync in it alone?

I have checked the signature option but it still doesn't show!
Disable SYNC is one thing. which i did along with Stop push notifications. but also the app running in BG was consuming RAM & Battery. So a friend advised me to remove app and instead use the Browser. Its fine by me. I anyways dont use FB on mobile much and i am not interested in syncing my Contact list with FB and knowing their latest DP or FB updates

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks