Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 16:33   #11416
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No no no. What i am saying is that you can use it at ONE phone at one time. Else it is silly. We buy an app with one ID, and use it on 50. All it asks is that same app is not being actively installed/used on the other phone at the same time.
Ok, thats livable!

As for Sygic & Mapmyindia, the recent price drop/discount (which one is true?), may have to do with G Maps enabling navigation in India? Don't know about Sygic, but Google Navigation looks visually better than Navfree. Not to mention, Openstreetmaps currently has way less info than Gmaps as of now. Marked more than 20 places on OSM. Could not do better as I'm unable to pinpoint exact buildings and stuff with just a satellite view on comp. They should offer some way to mark places using GPS on the phone. With Gmaps available I might as well ditch it now. However, I detected several wrong/duplicate entries even on Gmaps. Wasted 1 GB downloading Navfree on phone. There should be some way to transfer it from PC to phone. Is it possible to do that with Sygic?

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th September 2012 at 16:35.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:53   #11417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont even that kind of details from system panel. All I was doing was:

system settings -> About Phone.

I did not find any CPU info there. So I got this app Android System Info
which gives only 1GHz. Also my bogomips settings show 1990/1998.

Also Motorola needs to qualify the H/W so that it can run 1.2GHz. It just cant be overclocked.
(The overclocking of rooted phones are at one's risk because device reliability comes down even if its able to function at a higher speed)
Well, I clearly remember seeing 1ghz when a friend & I were comparing our phones (G Nexus). Attached is a screenshot with the same app you tried.

Looks like i'm the chosen one by Moto

EDIT: - Just noticed, GSM Arena has also put in 1.2ghz in the specs !!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20120914164325.png  

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th September 2012 at 16:56.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:04   #11418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Well - is it possible that the MB-865 comes in 2 variants : One that is capable of 1 GHz only and another that's capable of 1.2 -
but was running at 1GHz under GB ?? (And may be Tarun is among the lucky ones whose phone happens to be the second type)
P.S. I double checked with Quadrant - It still shows 1000MHz as the CPU clock speed on my phone - not 1200.

Same here Kala. No idea how is Tarun's piece showing 1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Well, I clearly remember seeing 1ghz when a friend & I were comparing our phones (G Nexus). Attached is a screenshot with the same app you tried.
Looks like i'm the chosen one by Moto

Looks like you ARE !!! For me it only shows 1000 Mhz as the max.

Last edited by ampere : 14th September 2012 at 17:06.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:18   #11419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Same here Kala. No idea how is Tarun's piece showing 1200.

Looks like you ARE !!! For me it only shows 1000 Mhz as the max.
I was going through the specs of Motorola Atrix 2 on gsmarena.com and there it states

CPU Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU PowerVR SGX540

Source : http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_atrix_2-4199.php

& on Motorola site it states

PROCESSOR SPEED
1GHz Dual Core, Dual Channel RAM with Advanced 3D Graphics Acceleration

Source : http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/IN...-EN.alt#anchor

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 14th September 2012 at 17:20.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:43   #11420
BHPian

In any case 1GHz or 1.2GHz my question to all Atrix 2 users is "Is it worth buying phone in price range of 20k??"
The only concern in this phone is weight, almost 150gm and network conection. Pls give us your valuable feedback on these.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:58   #11421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
In any case 1GHz or 1.2GHz my question to all Atrix 2 users is "Is it worth buying phone in price range of 20k??"
The only concern in this phone is weight, almost 150gm and network conection. Pls give us your valuable feedback on these.
I would definitely suggest this phone. The hardware and build is top notch and now with the ICS update the interface is also very nice. The ICS is almost vanilla like (very similar to the Nexus).

The downside would be like you mentioned the weight, re-sale if you plan on changing the phone fast & probably availability of accessories(screen guards, covers, etc). Also do check if there is a service centre in your area.

The network issue thing came up after an update that Motorola released sometime in June. Only people on Vodafone connections faced this problem IIRC. I am on Vodafone and I did have the issue of random signal loss (red cross near the signal bars). It has been taken care of with the ICS update. No issues over the past week.

At 20K this is the best hardware available. If you are ok with no warranty, please get the Nexus. It's now available at most places for about 22k.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th September 2012 at 20:00.
Old 14th September 2012, 21:31   #11422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
At 20K this is the best hardware available. If you are ok with no warranty, please get the Nexus. It's now available at most places for about 22k.
Tarun has almost mentioned everything. Today at 20K I think its the best value for money.
It may look plane jane, but the build quality is solid. And with ICS its even better.

The 1GB RAM is really put to good use. Now it feels very snappy.
Old 15th September 2012, 07:03   #11423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Ok, thats livable!

Wasted 1 GB downloading Navfree on phone. There should be some way to transfer it from PC to phone. Is it possible to do that with Sygic?
The download should be done on the mobile directly. I had to get the 238 MB download done on my friend's mobile since he has WiFi at home. Then I copied over the folders onto my SD card. Then I went ahead and downloaded the maps on my via phone via 3G.
Earlier, I have used an application which can download to PC, but I have not tried that with the new version of Sygic.

BTW: Defy users, prepare yourselves for a new build - with probably some performance enhancements. Quarx has announced the changes on his thread.
I will probably continue with my 4 September build. So far I have not faced a single issue.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:46   #11424
BHPian

Thanks @fiat tarun and @ampere for your comments on Atrix 2. Now seems like Atrix 2 is far far superior to SGS II and Xperia P, on build quality, performance and everything. It should be hot cake selling phone for Moto, but the poor brand value of Moto nowadays restric to it.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:12   #11425
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @fiat tarun and @ampere for your comments on Atrix 2. Now seems like Atrix 2 is far far superior to SGS II and Xperia P, on build quality, performance and everything. It should be hot cake selling phone for Moto, but the poor brand value of Moto nowadays restric to it.
I differ on the comparison with SGS2 part. In HW department CPU+GPU combination on SGS2 is superior than the one on Atrix2. Built quality is definitely better than SGS2 and at a higher screen resolution on Atrix2 also. For business users, Atrix2 is the best option in the price bracket. Good battery life and an almost perfect native e-mail app.
Old 15th September 2012, 21:11   #11426
Senior - BHPian

Tried Google Maps for navigation today. Without a network connection, it is useless.

I had saved Mumbai maps for offline use, so it did show POIs and roads but:

1. No turn by turn guidance
2. No re-routing
Old 16th September 2012, 09:43   #11427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
BTW: Defy users, prepare yourselves for a new build - with probably some performance enhancements. Quarx has announced the changes on his thread.
I will probably continue with my 4 September build. So far I have not faced a single issue.
And finally, the data connectivity issue is being addressed too. It was reported by many and XDA Member 'SlugZero' developed a patch (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=321), which is integrated by Quarx in the latest Sep 4 build
Old 16th September 2012, 09:53   #11428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I differ on the comparison with SGS2 part. In HW department CPU+GPU combination on SGS2 is superior than the one on Atrix2. Built quality is definitely better than SGS2 and at a higher screen resolution on Atrix2 also. For business users, Atrix2 is the best option in the price bracket. Good battery life and an almost perfect native e-mail app.
Even H/W I would say is almost comparable.

CPU on S2 is 1.2GHz Cortex A9 + Mali Graphics (which is ARM based Graphics)
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i910..._s_ii-3621.php

Atrix-2 is also 1GHz Cortex A-9 + PowerVR SGX 540
http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_atrix_2-4199.php

(Though GSM arena says its 1.2, I think it is 1GHz)

The main difference is about Samsung's service network. Moto has nothing to offer there.
With ICS, at least device wise its very good. I just hope I dont get any device failures !
Old 16th September 2012, 11:36   #11429
BHPian

Hey Guys.
Got my Motorola Razr few days back and loving it.It very fast and ics is very easy to use.Being constantly bombarded with negtive views by jealous S2 owners (class mates)who cant come to terms with a phone that looks good,feels good and is comparable in specks to their s2 and is cheaper

Hope i have a long and trouble free ownership.I am loving it!
Old 16th September 2012, 13:35   #11430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How to take screenshots in Gingerbread on Defy? I am on GB WajkIUI. Some methods I found upon Googling didn't work.
WajkIUI has Screenshot app in-built. Go to Settings->Toggle Settings->Customize toggles and look for Screnshot.

Else, you can install Screenshot UX Trial from Market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks