Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 17:14   #3766
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
In samsung phones we can odin back to almost any os version of our choice; I advice people to give samsung's/htc's the top billings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
ODIN is not an ordinary consumer tool it wipes the flash memory completely so it is possible to go from any release to any other release.
AWESOME. So I'll soon be trying out some custom ROM.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Really puts my mind at ease.

Just one more question - I'll be using Titanium for the back up. I'm assuming that it'll save the backup to SD card. So does that mean I need to remove the SD card during the ODIN flashing (because it'll be wiping the memory right?)
Old 8th June 2011, 17:32   #3767
Senior - BHPian

A question for Defy users:- I've activated GPRS on my Airtel connection and everything was working fine yesterday. When I went home, I also used WiFi to connect to internet, as that was a lot faster.

Today, when I charged and switched on the device, I don't see GPRS active. Is there any key that I need to press to get it active?

TIA
Old 8th June 2011, 17:33   #3768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

As most of you know i have been stalking the Android thread for a while now and i am still unable to take a call on my next Android device. I had earlier shortlisted HTC WFS and XCD35. After some research and some playing with the phones i had almost decided upon the WFS.

Recently i came across the Motorola Defy. It is over budget by about ~3.5k. And hence i had a few questions in mind. I saw a few videos too on Youtube and all and which have convinced me that the phone is surely strong built.

1. Is it worth that extra ~3.5k (HTC WFS 13,900 & DEFY 17200) ?
2. Can i upgrade the Defy to Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread). HTC WFS comes pre loaded with Android 2.3. If so, HOW?
3. Any Defy users here? Can you rate the battery and the UI for the same please.

Thanks a lot all of you.
1. The WFS screen is CRAP (320x480) and its smaller.
2. Hello????
3. At par with any android. My new E63 with far less apps used to run 2.5 days. This will barely last from 8am to 10pm (85%). UI depends on the ROM and android version. cannot give a global answer

The defy is 15949 if you will order on letsbuy.com so the difference is not as much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Kyun le raha hai bhai? Ace was launched in Mar '11. It's pretty recent!!

1. Phamilyman
2. Definitely Phamilyman!
3. Most definitely Phamilyman (And Samurai San too)!!
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers khol as u gave me. What does it say at the top:
I didn't cook it up myself. Won't be kidding just like that, no? But seriously, its so
Old 8th June 2011, 17:37   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
AWESOME. So I'll soon be trying out some custom ROM.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Really puts my mind at ease.

Just one more question - I'll be using Titanium for the back up. I'm assuming that it'll save the backup to SD card. So does that mean I need to remove the SD card during the ODIN flashing (because it'll be wiping the memory right?)
1. Odin partitions and erases internal flash and not SD.
2. Also it is a Samsung tool and not generic Android tool
3. When I said any release to any other release there are certain qualification that your binaries ( ROMs as you call) should be for that hardware.
4. If you have wrong set of binaries you can easily brick your phone so be careful before you flash.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:16   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A question for Defy users:- I've activated GPRS on my Airtel connection and everything was working fine yesterday. When I went home, I also used WiFi to connect to internet, as that was a lot faster.

Today, when I charged and switched on the device, I don't see GPRS active. Is there any key that I need to press to get it active?

TIA
When you are in the range of a known WiFi network the GPRS sign goes off as the phone is using WiFi. If this is not the case check this setting:

Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Data Enabled. This should be checked.
Old 8th June 2011, 19:07   #3771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
When you are in the range of a known WiFi network the GPRS sign goes off as the phone is using WiFi. If this is not the case check this setting:

Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Data Enabled. This should be checked.
Thanks buddy, but I don't see Data Enabled there, but there is a 'Data roaming' that is currently not selected. Is that the one?
Old 8th June 2011, 19:16   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, but I don't see Data Enabled there, but there is a 'Data roaming' that is currently not selected. Is that the one?
Sorry about that, maybe the CM7 options are different, however that's the place to look for any setting issues. If you check 'Data roaming' GPRS will be used even while roaming(You can see a R when on roaming).

Did you try turning off the WiFi and check, maybe you are in a known WiFi area. This is what comes to my mind right now, if you still face issues try the good ol restart
Old 8th June 2011, 20:04   #3773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

As most of you know i have been stalking the Android thread for a while now and i am still unable to take a call on my next Android device. I had earlier shortlisted HTC WFS and XCD35. After some research and some playing with the phones i had almost decided upon the WFS.

Recently i came across the Motorola Defy. It is over budget by about ~3.5k. And hence i had a few questions in mind. I saw a few videos too on Youtube and all and which have convinced me that the phone is surely strong built.

1. Is it worth that extra ~3.5k (HTC WFS 13,900 & DEFY 17200) ?
2. Can i upgrade the Defy to Android 2.3 ( Gingerbread). HTC WFS comes pre loaded with Android 2.3. If so, HOW?
3. Any Defy users here? Can you rate the battery and the UI for the same please.

Thanks a lot all of you.
save the 3900 rs and instead go for dell xcd35. HTC has crap screen and small ones too.

or the best way put in more money and go for defy.

it defies everything
Old 8th June 2011, 20:39   #3774
Senior - BHPian

Why do most Android applications lack the 'exit' option? They could have atleast provided a 'x' button the applications when they are listed during prolonged 'home' button.
Old 8th June 2011, 20:42   #3775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In settings->Data Manager->Data Delivery, Is 'All mobile data' turned on?
Old 8th June 2011, 21:02   #3776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
In settings->Data Manager->Data Delivery, Is 'All mobile data' turned on?
Yep, it is on. In my instrument, it is named as 'All Cellular Data'
Old 8th June 2011, 21:35   #3777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 - xda-developers khol as u gave me. What does it say at the top:
I didn't cook it up myself. Won't be kidding just like that, no? But seriously, its so
Maybe because Cooper has already been in US for some time? But AFAIK, Ace is a pretty recent launch in all the GSM world.

Le le bhai. I was *this* close to buy the Defy and then ended up buying the Ace. Since I didnt do my pre-purchase research well, I thought that I dont want to be *stuck* with the Moto Blur UI+I didnt like the screws look on the outside.

However, little did I know that Moto BLUR could be easily thrown away in favour of CM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
1. Odin partitions and erases internal flash and not SD.
2. Also it is a Samsung tool and not generic Android tool
3. When I said any release to any other release there are certain qualification that your binaries ( ROMs as you call) should be for that hardware.
4. If you have wrong set of binaries you can easily brick your phone so be careful before you flash.
I'm guessing I have the correct binaries/ROM files since I'm downloading the officially leaked ones from SamFirmWare. In fact the one I'm using on my phone right now is an upgraded Froyo ROM for Samsung India (but not obtained thru Kies, rather thu SamFirmWare).

So if I understand you correct, I can install a custom/offical GB based ROM, play with it, and if I dont like it, use ODIN to wipe the device and re-install the official Froyo ROM? Correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post

If you have Wifi switched on, as soon as you enter a known network area, GPRS/EDGE gets disconnected and Wifi latches on. Its a beautiful feature in Androids I feel - esp from the POV of data usage and speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why do most Android applications lack the 'exit' option? They could have atleast provided a 'x' button the applications when they are listed during prolonged 'home' button.
+1 to that. I've been wondering the same!
Old 8th June 2011, 22:58   #3778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva
Because there is no api which you can call and expect the app to exit. Once an app is launched, it's supposed to run forever till the OS decides to close it.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 8th June 2011 at 23:00.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:11   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Because there is no api which you can call and expect the app to exit. Once an app is launched, it's supposed to run forever till the OS decides to close it.
+1. Its widely debated among the developers and users. The Exit button does give the user a sense of assurance that the application has indeed quit and not holding any resources. But under the hood, there is no real 'exit' for the application, the OS manages the lifetime once it is hidden from the view.

Here is a good article explaining the concept.

BTW, I happen to play around with my friend's Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570. One of the best VFM Android phones around. Retails at around 8.5-9k now.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:49   #3780
Team-BHP Support

Re: gprs problem with Samsung i9003

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I've had this phone since March and have been delighted with it. I used to run GPRS on the Idea netwrok with no problems. I then wanted to try out Idea 3G, and got the settings from them. 3G never worked for me, so after a week I went back to GPRS. For some strange reason the GPRS refuses to run.
Idea has disabled 3G for my number, I have deleted all the APNs and got fresh configuration from Idea for GPRS, rebooted the phone, etc. all to no avail. GPRS does not run. Sometimes I get the GPRS indication on the phone for like, 2 seconds, before it disappears. I know there's something I have overlooked, but have no clue, and neither have the good people at Idea!
I would really appreciate some guidance here.

Have you tried checking the sim in another phone to confirm if its actually not a service provider issue?

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2011 at 00:27. Reason: Adding quote for reference, since i've merged threads and the original post is on earlier page.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks