Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 14:07   #3016
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@NFS2024 - Here is my priority order when it comes to configuring MS Exchange email on Android:

1. RoadSync / Touchdown (both are equally easy) - However, both offer a 15/30 day trial version. RoadSync is cheaper ($9.95 vs $ 19.95).
2. Samsung Social Hub and Email app (as easy as above. However, it does not have settings to tweak the pushing of mails. There is just one option of keeping Push Mail wither on or off. This was a slight downer.
3. Android Native Email app - Tricky to configure, but once you get it going. Good part is that if you have configured RSS feeds in your Outlook, they get sync'd also.

(-) K-9 Email : Doesnt work with Exchange
(-) MailDroid : Doesnt work with Exchange

What you need to check is this guide. Although it is for RoadSync, but I used the same steps / hints to configure Touchdown and Samsung Social Hub on my Ace.
DocID: 13629 - What are my Exchange Server settings?
I had an almost opposite experience. My office too has MS Exchange and I could configure it with the Andriod Native app but the same would not work with my Vodafone 2G connection and would throw an error saying " Cannot connect to the server". The same would work absolutely fine if I connect thru Wi-Fi to my MTNL broadband connection.
Hence I feel it might be a ping timeout issue i.e. the Native app tries to ping to the Exchange server and if it doesn't respond in a particular time period it will throw a " Cannot connect to server" problem. This might be also due to the speeds linked to 2G.

I tried K9 too but to no avail. Finally tried Maildroid and currently that works fine connecting to my Exchange server over my 2G connection.

I haven't tried Roadsync/touchdown but have heard good things about it. All this is with my Samsung Galaxy ACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
When I tried to connect to my Office MS-exchange, I got a warning message that my office server wants to remote control some security features of my phone(including factory reset ). So, added the account to check if it works and then deleted immediately. Did anyone face a similar situation with exchange mail account?
I am not able to setup my account without giving remote control to the exchange server.
Yup, it is true. Post setting up your account, if you go to Settings ->Select Device Administrators -> You would see the remote administrator which has access to even do a factory reset on your phone. You can go and disable that administrator but in that case, the native email app will not work.

I switched over to Maildroid and that doesnt have this remote administrator

Last edited by f1fan : 6th May 2011 at 14:14.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:27   #3017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The rear cover seems to be made of the same soft touch material as the black strip on the side, and it's quite nice. The cover design and latching mechanism is a little unusual -- once again owing to the water resistance requirements -- and it's a little tricky to close correctly.
The strange thing is, the difficulty in closing, and the panel gap remain the same even when I close it without the battery.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:28   #3018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am not so convinced about the water-proof claim of Defy. There is significant panel gap between the battery door and the body. And it is a pain to close and lock the battery door. It leaves a panel gap for liquid to get in.
Its water-resistant not water-proof. It might survive splash of water, but not dipping it in water or heavy rain.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:29   #3019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Its water-resistant not water-proof. It might survive splash of water, but not dipping it in water or heavy rain.
It does survive a dip in water. Go have a look at the engadget review. People talk about having a shower with it.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:41   #3020
Senior - BHPian

The specs say very clearly - water & shock resistant NOT proof. It does say dustproof though

Ergo - it will do the occasional walk in the rains just fine.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:44   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It does survive a dip in water. Go have a look at the engadget review. People talk about having a shower with it.
It might survive a dip and it might not also ? otherwise they would have mentioned waterproof not water-resistant. And also its not certified as waterproof or resistant.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:28   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you have to enable ActiveSync.

Get your server settings from the IT department. Not having a webmail should not be an issue I think.
Well not sure if i will be able to get this. What are the settings that you are talking about? Is it the server name etc or something else? If it is the server name, domain etc, i have all those details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
I had an almost opposite experience. My office too has MS Exchange and I could configure it with the Andriod Native app but the same would not work with my Vodafone 2G connection and would throw an error saying " Cannot connect to the server". The same would work absolutely fine if I connect thru Wi-Fi to my MTNL broadband connection.
Hence I feel it might be a ping timeout issue i.e. the Native app tries to ping to the Exchange server and if it doesn't respond in a particular time period it will throw a " Cannot connect to server" problem. This might be also due to the speeds linked to 2G.

I tried K9 too but to no avail. Finally tried Maildroid and currently that works fine connecting to my Exchange server over my 2G connection.

I haven't tried Roadsync/touchdown but have heard good things about it. All this is with my Samsung Galaxy ACE
Ok everytime I try configuring using native mail app I get this error msg "unable to connect to server" on my vodafone 2g connection. Neither the auto discovery nor the manual set up works for me.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:28   #3023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not so convinced about the water-proof claim of Defy. There is significant panel gap between the battery door and the body. And it is a pain to close and lock the battery door. It leaves a panel gap for liquid to get in.
Quote:
The strange thing is, the difficulty in closing, and the panel gap remain the same even when I close it without the battery.
IIRC there is a wall inside which runs around the battery compartment and keeps the area water tight. Hence the pain in pushing and locking the cover.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:33   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Well not sure if i will be able to get this. What are the settings that you are talking about? Is it the server name etc or something else? If it is the server name, domain etc, i have all those details.

Ok everytime I try configuring using native mail app I get this error msg "unable to connect to server" on my vodafone 2g connection. Neither the auto discovery nor the manual set up works for me.
When you start configuring the mail using the on-screen instructions, you would be asked some settings na? e.g.

1. User name
2. Password
3. Server name/address
4. Domain
5. Use SSL?

I'm talking about those.

Try configuring over WiFi for the first time. But even before that, check that you are subscribed to the Advanced GPRS plan of your operator (Vodafone Mobile Connect, and not Vodafone Live) or (Airtel Mobile Office and not Airtel Live).
Old 6th May 2011, 17:29   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

As I mentioned, I too got the same issue when trying to connect over my 2G connection but worked like a charm when I used Wi-FI to connect on to my MTNL broadband connection.
Hence I suspect 2G speeds too.

Anyone having the same issue with a 3G connection?

Last edited by f1fan : 6th May 2011 at 17:32.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:16   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
When you start configuring the mail using the on-screen instructions, you would be asked some settings na? e.g.

1. User name
2. Password
3. Server name/address
4. Domain
5. Use SSL?

I'm talking about those.

Try configuring over WiFi for the first time. But even before that, check that you are subscribed to the Advanced GPRS plan of your operator (Vodafone Mobile Connect, and not Vodafone Live) or (Airtel Mobile Office and not Airtel Live).
What you are talking above are the basic information which i have provided while configuring and I also have the VMC activated and have tried all plausible options to configure but without success. That is the reason why am asking questions. Let me try the wi-fi option and see what transpires.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:37   #3027
BHPian

New gingerbread (2.3.4) extends battery level even further!

See attachment below, 29% of battery left even after 5 days!.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-device2.jpg

Guess now I will charge once in week!
Old 7th May 2011, 10:43   #3028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
OMG!!! 5 days, that too on Nexus S. This is awesome.
After I started keeping the data "always on" on my Wildfire, the battery life has halved from 3 days to 1.5 days now. Guess I'll need to root it.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:49   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
New gingerbread (2.3.4) extends battery level even further!

Attachment 540971

Guess now I will charge once in week!
Im still on 2.3.2. I use nexus as second phone, only few minutes of browsing and lots of angry birds. Still battery lasts for 12 hrs only.
How did you get the update ? was it OTA ??
Old 7th May 2011, 10:53   #3030
BANNED

Quote:
Let us accept it. They may soone be history but the build quality of Nokia is brilliant. Ditto for Blackberry. As it stands yesterday my Epic 4G came back so I have confined my last Nokia, 6275 to the storage bin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks