Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 09:46   #3001
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes - Sagar.

I have orderedmine too. Will keep y'all posted.

Dushmish - how much time it took?

Other Defy-ers: anyone rooted it yet? I can't wait to put Gingerbread on it.

@Vivek: Not sure but almost all android phones sync contacts with gmail out of the box. Atleast with Gingerbread, Defy should do it. The earpiece issue is history anyways now.
I currently own a Nokia 5800 XM ( S60 based phone) and will be upgrading to android in a few time. I wanted to know how should I backup all my contacts. Is Nokia PC suite enough for taking backup compatible with android or do I have to do something else? How does the GMAIL thing works?
Old 6th May 2011, 10:00   #3002
Senior - BHPian

export all your contacts to memory cards.
It should store it in .csv format.
upload these directly to google.com\contacts

and when you buy your android sync your phone book with google contacts

Edit : you can also export your contacts directly to pc using pc suite

Last edited by ms001 : 6th May 2011 at 10:04.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:23   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can anyone please throw some light on how to get and use this coupon?Should we pay for this coupon?And is this coupon applicable only to DEFY or samsung galaxy models too?

EDIT: Is the coupon code itself "rcomlsb"?
Also if i opt for cash on delivery,will i able to check the piece before paying the amount to the delivery person ?Does it come with bill and warranty?if so who is the seller of the product as printed on the BILL.
The 'rcomlsb' expired on Apr 30. Google for the latest working coupon. AFAIK, 'ICICILSB' is a working one, but the discount is 15% off upto a max of Rs 1000. These coupons are for any shopping on the website, and not limited to any particular model/brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes - Sagar.

I have orderedmine too. Will keep y'all posted.

Dushmish - how much time it took?

Other Defy-ers: anyone rooted it yet? I can't wait to put Gingerbread on it.

@Vivek: Not sure but almost all android phones sync contacts with gmail out of the box. Atleast with Gingerbread, Defy should do it. The earpiece issue is history anyways now.
Yes, all Android phones sync calendar and contacts with Gmail. It does so upon the first time you boot up the phone and insert the SIM. You'll be prompted to sign-in to your existing Gmail a/c (or create a new one if you dont have it already). It then fetches the Contacts from this mail a/c.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:24   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I just discovered an even simpler way of configuring email accounts!For a change I thought of using the in built Samsung Social Hub and Email app. This was by far the easiest email app that I've ever used on a phone. It is as close to a Blackberry as out can get on an Android. And the best part part is that MS Exchange configuration was literally 3 click procedure. Highly recommended!!
I have been trying to configure my corporate email. I hav tried touchdown, built in email etc. but to no avail so far. I guess it has to do with the corporate security policy that is not allowing me to configure email. Any tips or tricks?
Old 6th May 2011, 10:54   #3005
BHPian

^^ lotus notes or ms exchange ? Does ur company have webmail ? At times companies chose not to put up their email servers exposed to internet and are accessible only via intranet. That could be one of the reasons !
Old 6th May 2011, 11:02   #3006
BHPian

I think that there is a better way to sync the contact from Mobile.

1. Using Nokia sync convert all your contacts to OutLook exchanges. Then using samsung pc tool/ Motorola PC portal you can import those contact. Even you dont need to have GMAIL/Internet connection.

2. Using SIM card. Move/delete/Copy... Tire some proc.

Using ICICILB I got 10% flat discount. My price was ~16149.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:21   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
^^ lotus notes or ms exchange ? Does ur company have webmail ? At times companies chose not to put up their email servers exposed to internet and are accessible only via intranet. That could be one of the reasons !
It is on MS exchange. Mails available on intra/extranet, but am not too sure if webmail is available or not.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:29   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I have been trying to configure my corporate email. I hav tried touchdown, built in email etc. but to no avail so far. I guess it has to do with the corporate security policy that is not allowing me to configure email. Any tips or tricks?
@NFS2024 - Here is my priority order when it comes to configuring MS Exchange email on Android:

1. RoadSync / Touchdown (both are equally easy) - However, both offer a 15/30 day trial version. RoadSync is cheaper ($9.95 vs $ 19.95).
2. Samsung Social Hub and Email app (as easy as above. However, it does not have settings to tweak the pushing of mails. There is just one option of keeping Push Mail wither on or off. This was a slight downer.
3. Android Native Email app - Tricky to configure, but once you get it going. Good part is that if you have configured RSS feeds in your Outlook, they get sync'd also.

(-) K-9 Email : Doesnt work with Exchange
(-) MailDroid : Doesnt work with Exchange

What you need to check is this guide. Although it is for RoadSync, but I used the same steps / hints to configure Touchdown and Samsung Social Hub on my Ace.
DocID: 13629 - What are my Exchange Server settings?
Old 6th May 2011, 11:55   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@NFS2024 - Here is my priority order when it comes to configuring MS Exchange email on Android:

1. RoadSync / Touchdown (both are equally easy) - However, both offer a 15/30 day trial version. RoadSync is cheaper ($9.95 vs $ 19.95).
2. Samsung Social Hub and Email app (as easy as above. However, it does not have settings to tweak the pushing of mails. There is just one option of keeping Push Mail wither on or off. This was a slight downer.
3. Android Native Email app - Tricky to configure, but once you get it going. Good part is that if you have configured RSS feeds in your Outlook, they get sync'd also.

(-) K-9 Email : Doesnt work with Exchange
(-) MailDroid : Doesnt work with Exchange

What you need to check is this guide. Although it is for RoadSync, but I used the same steps / hints to configure Touchdown and Samsung Social Hub on my Ace.
DocID: 13629 - What are my Exchange Server settings?

I have tried all the options above and I have gone through this doc before and have tried as well, but it doesnt work. I think the problem is the security policy and i guess there is no webmail in our co. Do we select the activesync option or outlook?

I have also sent you a ping msg, can you pls reply to that?

Last edited by NFS2024 : 6th May 2011 at 12:06. Reason: more details given
Old 6th May 2011, 12:30   #3010
Senior - BHPian

I finally bought LG optimus One P500 at Letsbuy.com using coupon "RCOMLSB" for a final price of Rs 8754/- . So the discount of Rs 1,545, quiet a huge discount. Its being sold at 11k in most mobile shops so this i feel was a very good deal. I already have Galaxy 3, which i gave it to my wife. So back to Android again

Thanks guys for sharing the coupon.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:39   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
I have tried all the options above and I have gone through this doc before and have tried as well, but it doesnt work. I think the problem is the security policy and i guess there is no webmail in our co. Do we select the activesync option or outlook?

I have also sent you a ping msg, can you pls reply to that?
Yes you have to enable ActiveSync.

Get your server settings from the IT department. Not having a webmail should not be an issue I think.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:43   #3012
Team-BHP Support

I am not so convinced about the water-proof claim of Defy. There is significant panel gap between the battery door and the body. And it is a pain to close and lock the battery door. It leaves a panel gap for liquid to get in.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:05   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi;
The 'rcomlsb' expired on Apr 30. Google for the latest working coupon.
Yes it got expired and is working now again. I have a friend who has ordered using this code 3 days back.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:31   #3014
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
2) Angry Birds doesn't fit to my phones screen resolution (Huawei IDEOS - 240x320 pixels, Froyo) whereas it does fit properly in my friends Samsung i5500 which has the same resolution. Any solution for this?

3) Can we download the installation/setup files of the applications and store it on our phones card?
I had almost given up on this when all the angry birds versions weren't fitting my screen.

But, yesterday, I gave one more try (after a long time), and voila, it works perfect. I'm happy.

And, yes.. I found out that we can indeed store the setup files on the card.
Old 6th May 2011, 13:39   #3015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am not so convinced about the water-proof claim of Defy. There is significant panel gap between the battery door and the body. And it is a pain to close and lock the battery door. It leaves a panel gap for liquid to get in.
Read this:

The rear cover seems to be made of the same soft touch material as the black strip on the side, and it's quite nice. The cover design and latching mechanism is a little unusual -- once again owing to the water resistance requirements -- and it's a little tricky to close correctly. There's a slider at the bottom that you slide to the right (with some difficulty) to unlatch, then the cover will basically spring open -- the latch is actively holding the cover tight. Inside, you'll find the battery along with the microSD card and SIM card underneath. If you look closely, you'll notice that there's a raised edge on the underside of the cover that slips inside a rubber gasket in the battery compartment to help keep water out, but you've got to be careful -- it's pretty easy to reinstall the cover in such a way that it's not latched fully, potentially allowing nasty substances inside. We actually found this out the hard way: one of our Defys died in a water test, and though we were able to recover the phone itself after being dried in rice overnight, the battery was toast. Obviously, it probably isn't your goal (nor Motorola's) to leave the Defy in water for any length of time, but you really wouldn't expect a gasket-sealed cover to be the breach point when the phone finally does succumb to your abuse. Motorola probably could've fixed this by adding metal contacts on the back and showing a warning on the screen when the cover isn't latched correctly (the Streak can't be turned on if the cover is missing, for instance), but perhaps not without raising the price a bit.

Motorola Defy review -- Engadget
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks