Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 12:11   #3631
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How to shut off notifications, i.e. give them lower priority?

Even if a call comes,the call is in progress,message comes, if a MP3 ringtone is set, the whole song keeps running during the call unless you shut it off.

Pretty weird.

Anvancy
Old 4th June 2011, 12:27   #3632
Team-BHP Support

This is a strange shop. It offers only Bank wire payment, no credit card option.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:47   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Congrats! I have no plans to go into nightly builds. I switched to CM7 because I felt it was probably lot faster and stable than Official Eclair or Froyo. I might switch to the next Beta or next stable release from Quarx. But no nightly builds, I don't want to be that bleeding edge or want surprises everyday.
I burnt my fingers last night with the nightly built. Tried two of them. None worked for me(boot loop). CM7 got set up without a hitch. Missing the froyo dialer and the keyboard though. All well so far.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:56   #3634
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

I was hooked on to 'Launcher Pro' till now. I had used others before including Go Launcher Ex but never found them as smooth as Launcher Pro. Today morning just thought of trying 'Go Launcher Ex' again and boy oh boy its simply amazing now. Sliky smooth and really fast.
Old 4th June 2011, 14:21   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^
I tested the two recently and found the XCD35 to be better. However, please note that this can be entirely due to XCD's better resolution and bigger screen.
Haven't seen their images on a computer to get a fair idea.
Just a thought - Why these two? Neither is known for their camera quality. I think the Galaxy Fit comes with a 5 MP camera (not sure about AF).

@Samurai
I know this is super OT, but is water damage covered under phone insurance?
Dude, you said it yourself - comparing that way, you are comparing the screen more than the cam. I have seen pics taken thru the XCD35's cam on its own screen, and they do seem to look deceptively good! But the cam's quality can be compared only when you see them on a monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
here you go. images directly with no mods from stock camera of dell xcd35. i dont know how optimus snaps them.

but the photos are just average. good in day light. bad in night. autofocus does just an average job.

if you are just targetting the camera feature this phone isnt for you

after the froyo update from dell to 2.2 mine is unlocked to 515mb ram already.
Thanks so much for posting those pics. I'm forced to say they look mighty disappointing, esp. considering they have been taken outdoors in daylight. Even the Optimus One's cam definitely seems to be better in comparision.

Quote:
Samsung has one of the best collections of Android phones! Check out the Galaxy Ace for 15k.

I think XCD35 is not very high on battery backup (at least on paper), Amit can comment better on how long the battery lasts. Also, do note that the backup time is highly dependent on the kind of usage.

Disclaimer: I am not an Android user yet, and am a complete n00b at all things Androidy.
I beg to differ. Samsung's mid range android range don't seem to shine on any parameter... except probably the cam. In fact only one of them (cant recall the model), is reported to have, what I might call, a better cam then the competition. Battery, screen and everything else seems like a let-down. But with the Optimus 1 having a serious problem of accumulating dust under the screen and the XCD's very poor cam, there just don't seem to be other options (unless cam quality is not imp. for you).
Old 4th June 2011, 14:45   #3636

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
hahaha Rajan. Welcome to Team-BHP. Yes, I reposted your deal here as I felt it was a good one and you were nowhere to be seen. Now that you are here, hope to see lots of good deals from you on Team-BHP too.

Friends, Rajan is master deal finder on various forums; lets welcome him here too...
World err internet is so small. Was always here but in dormant mode. Fellow BHPians dkaile is an android protagonist who owned one of the first Google Nexus One in India. Being a perfectionist, he loves apple hardware and is still dreaming of a day when Android will run properly on iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congrats! Does this include any discounts? I have been reading on the net that the phone might be available for around 30k. Isn't there usually a price gap between what samsung claims is the MRP and what the local dealers sell it for?
Generally the gap between Samsung MRP and local dealer price tends to be around 10%. MRP for Samsung Galaxy S II is Rs 32,830. Expect dealers to sell it for Rs 29,500-30,000.
Now the expected delivery schedule is 2nd week of June on most online sellers like Letsbuy, Flipkart.

One can have this phone at Rs 27,290 with delivery at the same time around 2nd week on June. Here is how?
On Indiaplaza, it is listed for sale at Rs 29,990 here Samsung Galaxy S2 16GB | Buy mobile | Indiaplaza

Indiaplaza has a scheme of gift vouchers you can buy where it gives you 110% of the value you paid for redeeming while buying any item there Gift Certificates

Now you need to buy 1 Gift Certificate of Rs 25,000 and 1 Gift Certificate of Rs 2,000. For a total of Rs 27,000, it will give you redeem value of Rs 29,700. So if Galaxy S II is bought from there, pay Rs 29,700 by Gift Certificate & rest Rs 290 by Credit Card/Online.

Effective Net Price of Samsung Galaxy II comes to Rs 27,990 this way.

Be forewarned though, Indiaplaza has got a reputation for delayed shipments sometimes.
Old 4th June 2011, 14:47   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dude, you said it yourself - comparing that way, you are comparing the screen more than the cam. I have seen pics taken thru the XCD35's cam on its own screen, and they do seem to look deceptively good! But the cam's quality can be compared only when you see them on a monitor.
Yeah, I know. Which is why I added that part. :P

Quote:
I beg to differ. Samsung's mid range android range don't seem to shine on any parameter... except probably the cam. In fact only one of them (cant recall the model), is reported to have, what I might call, a better cam then the competition. Battery, screen and everything else seems like a let-down. But with the Optimus 1 having a serious problem of accumulating dust under the screen and the XCD's very poor cam, there just don't seem to be other options (unless cam quality is not imp. for you).
I was talking about the existence of a dominant android lineup, which Samsung does have. I wasn't saying anything specifically about the mid-range.
At any rate, Samsung does have more Android phones in the mid-range v/s any other brand. Just that none of their phones is good enough to make me want to buy it.
Old 4th June 2011, 15:33   #3638
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
This is the cheapest I could find. Besides its not officially released yet. After it releases I'm sure the price will drop a bit at the least.

I couldn't wait for the 9th of june for it
The SGS2 is listed on Univercell at Rs.29,327
Old 4th June 2011, 15:38   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR

The SGS2 is listed on Univercell at Rs.29,327
You have to buy it in installments and they'll be delivering it. Didnt want to wait
Old 4th June 2011, 15:43   #3640
Distinguished - BHPian

How good is univercell? And then does this mean that 9th june onwards the local stores will also start selling at for that price? around 30k?
Old 4th June 2011, 15:48   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
How good is univercell? And then does this mean that 9th june onwards the local stores will also start selling at for that price? around 30k?
Well considering that I bought the phone already I dino sincerely hope prices don't drop. No?

But I feel certain places will have reduced prices.

And I know nothing about univercell
Old 4th June 2011, 16:34   #3642
BHPian

Let me point out something to prospective ACE buyers

If the extra 200mhz is whats making you beeline for the phone.Let me point out that the processor is the SAME one that powers the rest of the mid range phones,only overclocked to give you an extra 200mhz

As this chipset CANNOT play flash,there is no real world use for the extra 200mhz,Every application that runs on a 600mhz phone (eg optimus one) will not run any faster on the ace

Games are dependent on the graphics chip.and since the graphics chip remains the same.So does the range of games you'll be able to play

With a lower resolution than some cheaper phones,the only thing the ACE has going for it is its iphone design and its camera(no reviews on it so far)

its up to you to decide if these two warrant a 5k price difference
Old 4th June 2011, 17:39   #3643
BHPian

Well the prices for the SGS 2 have started to drop,XDA forum members are getting a deal from Infibeam Samsung Galaxy S2 dual core @ 1.2Ghz processor & Super Amoled Plus launched. - Page 222 - xda-developers

On my way to meet my dealer,lets see what price he quotes.

Last edited by yogi1771 : 4th June 2011 at 17:40.
Old 4th June 2011, 18:18   #3644
Senior - BHPian

Most of what you say is true, but what might go in favor of the Ace
  1. The larger screen size (3.5", but with a very crappy resolution)
  2. Better battery
  3. Gorilla Glass Screen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
    Let me point out something to prospective ACE buyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
If the extra 200mhz is whats making you beeline for the phone.Let me point out that the processor is the SAME one that powers the rest of the mid range phones,only overclocked to give you an extra 200mhz

As this chipset CANNOT play flash,there is no real world use for the extra 200mhz,Every application that runs on a 600mhz phone (eg optimus one) will not run any faster on the ace

Games are dependent on the graphics chip.and since the graphics chip remains the same.So does the range of games you'll be able to play

With a lower resolution than some cheaper phones,the only thing the ACE has going for it is its iphone design and its camera(no reviews on it so far)

its up to you to decide if these two warrant a 5k price difference
Old 4th June 2011, 19:50   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Most of what you say is true, but what might go in favor of the Ace
[list=1][*]The larger screen size (3.5", but with a very crappy resolution)[*]Better battery[*]Gorilla Glass Screen

*the Dell XCD has the same size screen.

*Optimus and XCD35 both have 512mb ram.ACE doesnt

*NO official samsung site lists the ace as having gorilla glass.and samsung is known to sell downgraded models in Asian countries(galaxy SL).so even if the US and UK markets might get gorilla glass(their websites dont indicate so either) there is no way of knowing it has one.(unless you experiment by ramming yours with a screwdriver)

*There have been enough complaints on this very thread about the ace's battery life compared to those of its competitors

Ace is a good phone,but overpriced at 15k.if i wanted those specs i'd go for phones around 10k,if i had that budget i'd put in a thousand and go for the Defy

Most Viewed