Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:06   #3526
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Licorice (black/black) or the black/white option. IMO, its majority licorice only. The B/B option is far more professional. see google images

Croma sells it for 19k, neighborhood walas for 18k. do the math!

Thanks. But how do I ensure i get the B/B option when I order online?

Thanks for comparing with the ACE, but my family members lost 3 phones due to water seepage, therefore Defy scores high on my list.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:07   #3527
BANNED

Sorry folks. I had PMed our friend amit that 18k is beyond what I am willing to spend. Hence the confusion.

The Epic 4G is actually not usable on Tata, since they do no permit registration of outside MEID (equivalent to IMEI) numbers. The security and connection is through the MEID and AKey. Older phones used the ESN.

I am not too keen on a physical keypad now, and will look out for the Galaxy Pro. Also, I see many LG, Sony and Motorola handsets in the price bracket as well. What about the htc handsets? Will avoid things like Micromax like the plague.

I am delighted with it but it is less sensitive than the BB8330 and also marginally less than the Nokia 6275. Since this phone has to be configured from the Web World (no OMH RUIMs here, as is true for all US spec CDMA phones) it is not easy to try another phone out. Otherwise, I will have tried the Galaxy Pop. My mobile wallah tells me that Smartphones then to be less sensitive than older phones.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd June 2011 at 15:08.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:35   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks. But how do I ensure i get the B/B option when I order online?

Thanks for comparing with the ACE, but my family members lost 3 phones due to water seepage, therefore Defy scores high on my list.
You have to send a email and get confirmation for the colour you want. I guess since they dont specify the colour, they might be shipping black on black. Will find out when I get mine today or tomorrow. I did not get confirmation to the email I sent to support suggesting the colour.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:39   #3529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You have to send a email and get confirmation for the colour you want. I guess since they dont specify the colour, they might be shipping black on black. Will find out when I get mine today or tomorrow. I did not get confirmation to the email I sent to support suggesting the colour.
Great. I can't bear the excitement that comes when one buys a new product!
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:46   #3530
BHPian

Does the galaxy ace come with 2 changeable back covers(black and white)..any ace users here?
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:15   #3531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Does the galaxy ace come with 2 changeable back covers(black and white)..any ace users here?
Confirmed. It's quite handy to sport a new look every week.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:18   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Confirmed. It's quite handy to sport a new look every week.
Thanks...so I'm getting the Ace then and not the Wildfire S(saw one yesterday and it's too small for my liking)
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:36   #3533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks...so I'm getting the Ace then and not the Wildfire S(saw one yesterday and it's too small for my liking)
Well, there is a reason that Samsung is getting sued by Apple.

Even I like the Ace form factor best. Wildfire I would give a miss, but Defy is very good, in fact a better product than Ace, but just not as good, to hold.

Last edited by roy_libran : 2nd June 2011 at 16:37. Reason: Removing ...
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:38   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Nishant - read up the ROM flashing method.

Motorola has a SBF format for ROMs. There you can choose which ROM - fixed ROMs can be rolled back but full SBFs cannot be. For defy, there are specific ROMs you must choose.

What is the corresponding scene for Samsung?
In Samsung, we have a (factory) flashing software called ODIN. I used that to flash upgraded Froyo ROM on Ace. However, all ROM flashing methods specify about in-version upgrades. None talk about moving down the chain.

My question is (I guess not limited to Samsung alone) - can one roll back / downgrade to Froyo from Gingerbread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Why are Android phones such a big pain in the backside?

Are they kind of like the Fiat of the mobile OS world?

Anyway, does the Dell XCD 35 come with MapMyIndia maps pre-installed?
I guess only LG Optimus comes with NDrive (and Indian maps+Navi). However, you may Google (on relevant forums) for installing Sygic+MMI. I've been using that on my Ace and it's quite sexy.
Quote:
a. Ace(14) or Defy(16). Not many options really.
Wildfire S? Dell XCD 35?
Quote:
EDIT: only advantage of ace - is more holdable dead space. with defy, the touch buttons leave no dead space to hold it. thus first full week, I kept pressing the search button, but now am used to it. and yes, you get accessories for samsung. i have my phone in a blackberry case - VERY embarassing but who cares!!
Edit 2: The ace has a crappy screen. 320x480 vs 480x854. You just cannot compare the ace screen with the experience of seeing movies on defy (i/ve used it as my movie viewer inflight!)
edit3: defy is water/dust/shock proof. Its a life-proof phone. That's alot of extra features for just 2k over the ace, which it trumps by a considerable margin.
Dada - check Amzer and Capdase. I'm sure you'll get many accessories for Defy as it's a fairly established and old phone - and that too, worldwide.
nishantgandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:55   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am delighted with it but it is less sensitive than the BB8330 and also marginally less than the Nokia 6275. Since this phone has to be configured from the Web World (no OMH RUIMs here, as is true for all US spec CDMA phones) it is not easy to try another phone out. Otherwise, I will have tried the Galaxy Pop. My mobile wallah tells me that Smartphones then to be less sensitive than older phones.
saar,
Maximise your Next G Mobile Coverage - Telstra
Mobile Phones - Telstra

Telstra have a blue tick (motorola defy's pre-release model got it) for excellent signal reception. samsung didn't even come close.
Motorola Defy Review

You may look up more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You should get it. if in doubt, email ceo at letsbuy.com - he may not reply (they are expanding rapidly & are samsung's prebook partner for Galaxy S-II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great. I can't bear the excitement that comes when one buys a new product!
Congrats. Don't expect delivery in 2 days - these guys order in fits/starts. I work 10km from their office. I got delivery in 6 (calendar) days, while mumbai guys got it in <48 hours. So if they're out of stock - assume a week max.

Remember to close the cover properly - like Samurai has mentioned (and other sites have suggested)

Quote:
any reason why you're not taking the dell xcd35 - its cheaper, bit slower (but easily overclocked) and has a 800x480 screen vs a 320x480. it has far more modding options and is quite decent overall.

@nishant - thanks. amzer is a GOOD deal. let me see more. i just looked at my neighborhood shops. I didnt recommend dell xcd35 since its much cheaper, but in retrospect u're right. its ALOT of phone for the price, except the gorilla glass.
generally u can downgrade - atleast the way I've flashed my defy - I can. But cannot comment about samsung off hand.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd June 2011 at 17:04.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:59   #3536
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Dell XCD 35. I kind of don't like the looks. Dull grey colour and a very boring design. :(
Plus, the piece I saw was very laggy.

PS: Is the letsbuy website down? Haven't been able to open it since a couple of days.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:26   #3537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@nishant - thanks. amzer is a GOOD deal. let me see more. i just looked at my neighborhood shops. I didnt recommend dell xcd35 since its much cheaper, but in retrospect u're right. its ALOT of phone for the price, except the gorilla glass.
generally u can downgrade - atleast the way I've flashed my defy - I can. But cannot comment about samsung off hand.
Amzer® Silicone Skin Jelly Case For Motorola DEFY MB525 - Time 2 Shop

But do also Google / Ebay for 'Soft TPU Gel Cases'. I got one for Ace and it's damn sexy!

With Froyo on XCD35, it's a no brainer. It's slowly deviating LG OO1 customers to itself. Just like YOU were trying to gravitate me from Ace to Defy
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:57   #3538
BHPian

Remember that the XCD35 is officially supported by CM7.And has a screen with double the resolution of all its competitors running on 600mhz (ace too)

Android works best on a 800*480

For a medium budget i'd recommend a DEfy
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:10   #3539
Senior - BHPian

@Nishant - Completely agree. XCD35 is THE most VFM for the moment.

Reg Amzer - I want a leather/slip-on pouch simply for the surety that the screen is protected I got a rs100 faux leather blackberry one, and will keep an eye out for other decent cases as I go along.
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:24   #3540
Senior - BHPian

Please don't judge the XCD35 by the crap stock 2.1 firmware on it. Its a perfect device to root and install custom roms. Its blazing fast for a 600MHz phone with the right ROM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks