Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:07   #3511
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Why are Android phones such a big pain in the backside?

Are they kind of like the Fiat of the mobile OS world?
Try using one and you will wonder how you were living without them for so long;

They are the Ferrari's in fact; just that they are so powerful that user's sometimes get carried away; a balance needs to be maintained; overloading a truck or a phone will always result in disasters.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:35   #3512
BHPian

This particular activity is making me mad.

Suppose I start playing music.

A call comes.normal routine is the music should stop and the call should get the top priority.

But it has been happening that even if the call comes, the music keeps playing while I am talking.How to overcome this?Same goes for notification ringtones.

I have a Galaxy S4GB

Anvancy
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:25   #3513
BANNED

I have a Sammy Galaxy 551 for my wife and a Galaxy Epic 4G (CDMA) for myself. Find the Reliance network becoming very dodgy, not only low signal but also seems to go off intermittently. I am thinking of getting a second phone for myself. My idea is to get a GMS unit, run on prepaid, and once I am happy, do an MNP off Reliance. The issue is that both my home and workplace are fringe or near fringe, so some trial is necessary.

So need two inputs - a real good Android in the 15k region, and also preferred network suggestions.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:54   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Just search for 'letsbuy coupons'. You will find some. I used rcomlsb1 (15% upto max 1000, so I got 1000 off). I think the guys before me had even better coupons which had expired.

Thanks buddy, I do see it now with Rs 1000 off using that coupon.

Before I take the plunge, I wanted to check if there are any colour options. I am not sure what option they use as default. I read somewhere that full black is better than black and white.

Can you or phamilyman or samurai please confirm?

TIA
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:54   #3515
BHPian

Hi, I am looking for a 3G enabled mob which can help me with online stock trading. Cam, Music, battery backup can be compromised. The screen should be decent (3''). Which is best VFM handset for this requirement? Does 3G service currently available allow one to do online trading? Which service provider is best in Bangalore for this?

Rgds
VW
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:26   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Before I take the plunge, I wanted to check if there are any colour options. I am not sure what option they use as default. I read somewhere that full black is better than black and white.

TIA
The Defy comes only in Black. I got mine delivered in 2 days flat by letsbuy @15129 using the rcomlsb coupon which I guess has expired now.
OHCVtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:51   #3517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
The Defy comes only in Black. I got mine delivered in 2 days flat by letsbuy @15129 using the rcomlsb coupon which I guess has expired now.

Thanks. Letsbuy says the warranty is for one year, so will that be honoured by Motorola service centers?

This apart, is it available in mobile stores? But then I guess it will be costly in stores, unlike online purchases.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:54   #3518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a Sammy Galaxy 551 for my wife and a Galaxy Epic 4G (CDMA) for myself. Find the Reliance network becoming very dodgy, not only low signal but also seems to go off intermittently. I am thinking of getting a second phone for myself. My idea is to get a GMS unit, run on prepaid, and once I am happy, do an MNP off Reliance. The issue is that both my home and workplace are fringe or near fringe, so some trial is necessary.

So need two inputs - a real good Android in the 15k region, and also preferred network suggestions.
Well, I was working in that budget a month back, and picked up the Galaxy Ace. The battle was between the Defy and Wildfire, but I listened to my heart and picked up the Ace. Till date, with a large number of apps on my device, and heavy usage, I can say a few things with certainty:
- The device suits my needs well, and hasn't had one instance where it has given me any problems (touch wood).
- The device is fairly responsive to my usage pattern, and hasn't slowed down / or showing any signs of the same, like some of my earlier smartphones.
- I like the form factor of this device over the other competing devices. Easy to hold and use for extended periods of time.

Well, that's just me, but to each his own... :-))
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:57   #3519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks. Letsbuy says the warranty is for one year, so will that be honoured by Motorola service centers?
The warranty will indeed be covered by Motorola, Letsbuy is jut a retailer.

Quote:
This apart, is it available in mobile stores? But then I guess it will be costly in stores, unlike online purchases.
I had inquired before buying mine I guess it was around 18XXX in the market. You can check the latest price in the stores, I am sure the online deal is still the best.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:08   #3520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a. Ace(14) or Defy(16). Not many options really.
b. why not buy 3-4 different SIMs, drive around the iitk campus and see what SIM gives best results. end of story, no? or just announce it in class as an no-points assignment for your students (1st to finish can get home cooked meal!!) j/k!

Quote:

TIA
Licorice (black/black) or the black/white option. IMO, its majority licorice only. The B/B option is far more professional. see google images

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi, I am looking for a 3G enabled mob which can help me with online stock trading. Cam, Music, battery backup can be compromised. The screen should be decent (3''). Which is best VFM handset for this requirement? Does 3G service currently available allow one to do online trading? Which service provider is best in Bangalore for this?

Rgds
VW
3G and reliable cannot be said in the same sentence in most parts of the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
no dada - see above!

Quote:

Yes of course! Its a proper good bill with PAN number, TIN number etc. Much better than most neighborhood shops.

Croma sells it for 19k, neighborhood walas for 18k. do the math!

EDIT: only advantage of ace - is more holdable dead space. with defy, the touch buttons leave no dead space to hold it. thus first full week, I kept pressing the search button, but now am used to it. and yes, you get accessories for samsung. i have my phone in a blackberry case - VERY embarassing but who cares!!
Edit 2: The ace has a crappy screen. 320x480 vs 480x854. You just cannot compare the ace screen with the experience of seeing movies on defy (i/ve used it as my movie viewer inflight!)
edit3: defy is water/dust/shock proof. Its a life-proof phone. That's alot of extra features for just 2k over the ace, which it trumps by a considerable margin.

Last edited by phamilyman : 2nd June 2011 at 12:12.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:41   #3521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How about Galaxy SL at around 18K ? Same as Galaxy S minus AMOLED screen. About the network suggestion It depends on which network provide best coverage in your area.

I am using Airtel for last 10 years and found no reason to switch till now dispite MNP availability , For couple of years in between I used a reliance CDMA as well when CDMA was better in terms of data and EDGE was not there.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:19   #3522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
How about Galaxy SL at around 18K ? Same as Galaxy S minus AMOLED screen. About the network suggestion It depends on which network provide best coverage in your area.

I am using Airtel for last 10 years and found no reason to switch till now dispite MNP availability , For couple of years in between I used a reliance CDMA as well when CDMA was better in terms of data and EDGE was not there.
Hold on - Isnt the galaxy S = epic 4G? Why keep two absolutely same phones?

Infact, on 2nd thoughts - buy a blackberry. That can be for an laptop replacement for email practically.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:24   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hold on - Isnt the galaxy S = epic 4G? Why keep two absolutely same phones?

Infact, on 2nd thoughts - buy a blackberry. That can be for an laptop replacement for email practically.
Well EPIC 4G is a CDMA for Sprint and comes with qwerty keypad so I think can serve purpose , BB if you or your company use BB server.

There is some sprint / US market specific software in EPIC 4G and it comes with Samsung Hummingbird processor

Galaxy SL is a cheaper variant it has TI OMAP processor ( equivelent in specification so no impact to end user) and has a Super Clear LCD .
It is a full touch Android phone for open market.

The biggest difference is Modem Galaxy SL is GSM/3G/HSPA+ modem so suits need for other then reliance where as EPIC 4G is only for reliance or tata CDMA network

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd June 2011 at 14:27.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:30   #3524
BANNED

@amitk26; Phamilyman; If you want keypad with Android on GSM try the Samsung Galaxy 551. I have it and it is xcellent.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:49   #3525
Senior - BHPian

sg saab, I thought we were advising you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
So if you already have the equivalent of the SGS + keypad - then you can try the galaxy pro. 12k. 2.8" screen and qwerty. 800 mhz too.

else, sgsl would make sense if u want a pure-touchscreen phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks