Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2011, 14:35   #3496
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need better radio

My Epic 4G is running S700.0.55.EC05 with PRL 10005. The signal level is the same as was with the Nokia 312* ages ago. I am in the fringe a both IITK as well as at home. I did not have the problem of inadequate signal with my BB8330 and to a certain degree Nokia6275. Apparently smartphones are not that good in marginal reception conditions.

I have been advised that changing the radio may help. Some are mroe sensitive than others. dkaile (a mobile guru) thinks 10005 is as good as you can get. Any suggestions?
Old 1st June 2011, 15:18   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Defy Quadrant score with official Froyo is 1235. Apparently the version I installed doesn't include MotoBlur. But I see the interface to be very similar to Eclair with MotoBlur. I am not missing anything.
That's good then. The skinning would be the same.
Quote:
I am not restoring anything from the Titanium backup for now. Don't feel the need.

I am happy with official Froyo for now. Somebody tell me what does Gingerbread give over this?
bit faster, more farkles I guess. but overall feels good to be bleeding edge !!
Quote:

phamilyman, I struggled a lot to get the Froyo ROM installed because detailed instructions for Froyo update was missing. Otherwise, it should not have taken than 30 minutes.
Why? If you were doing it IST, I could've helped u out over the phone.

Flashing the phone with a SBF file is a 8-10min job if the drivers are installed.
Quote:
Here is my short set of instructions for people moving from Defy Eclair to Defy Froyo.

1) First root the phone: Special version SuperOneClick:root froyo/2.51 easily! - xda-developers . These steps work for Eclair rooting too, not just Froyo rooting.
2) Install Titanium backup from the Market and backup the entire app + user data.
3) Install the Official Froyo ROM for India (SEA 15): [Flash SBF] OFFICIAL RELEASE | Android Froyo 2.2.2 [SOUTH EAST ASIA + INDIA] - xda-developers

That's it!
:-) Its simple but what instructions did u need that took u 30 min for the task? Choosing the right superoneclick? Downloading the Froyo ROM? What?

/OHCVtec was supposedly unhappy with the ROM update - u may check with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Ok then I correct my question how to get into bootloader screen without using volume up button
Without it? don't know. ask on XDA. I thought keeping Volume Up pressed + switching on = only known way to load the bootloader

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st June 2011 at 15:20.
Old 1st June 2011, 15:36   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Quick question guys - I heard it's pretty difficult (and nearly impossible) to roll down to 2.2.x (Froyo) from a 2.3.x (GB) ROM on Ace.

Does this apply to custom ROMs as well?

What if I upgrade to Ace Villain ROM (which is based on 2.3.3) but for some reason, I want to revert to Samsung official Froyo release? WIll it be possible?
Old 1st June 2011, 16:38   #3499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
:-) Its simple but what instructions did u need that took u 30 min for the task? Choosing the right superoneclick? Downloading the Froyo ROM? What?
Actually I took 4 hours to achieve rooting. That is because I thought special version SuperoneClick is only for Froyo rooting. So I looking for earlier version Superoneclick and none of them worked. In addition, I had some trouble in driver installation. I tried 4 different versions of SuperOneClick before it worked. If it was mentioned that the latest SuperOneClick will work for all the earlier versions of Android, it would have saved me lots of headache.

Edit: BTW, the stock Defy never used to show any SMS notification when the screen was off. Now I see a blue blinking light to show new SMS arrival.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2011 at 16:45.
Old 1st June 2011, 22:17   #3500
BHPian

My HTC Desire's speaker call quality is pathetic. Request HTC desire owners to post their feedback
Old 1st June 2011, 22:30   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,

So when is the CM7 getting installed? Are you tempted yet?
CMStats - Defy is now the 4th most popular handset on CM7

@Nishant - read up the ROM flashing method.

Motorola has a SBF format for ROMs. There you can choose which ROM - fixed ROMs can be rolled back but full SBFs cannot be. For defy, there are specific ROMs you must choose.

What is the corresponding scene for Samsung?
Old 1st June 2011, 22:37   #3502
Distinguished - BHPian

I am facing a weird problem in my galaxy s 4gb .when i download some application from android market an additional application also starts downloading like Google map or yahoo mail etc. How do i stop this ? Any ideas?

Also my phone switches off without any reason . Sometime it happens in middle of a call too. Few times it won't restart till i remove and re insert the battery!!!!! Another problem is that after switching on it takes a lot of time to establish the network. Please help me out .
Old 1st June 2011, 22:45   #3503
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised to see my handset at 15th position above Galaxy S. I think this Handset is available in only US & UK.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2011 at 22:54.
Old 1st June 2011, 22:46   #3504
Senior - BHPian

@sagarpadaki - untick automatic update by going into those particular apps that auto update; btw its better to keep all your apps up to date.

some app may be interfering and causing such restart issues; try identifying that app and remove it, otherwise I would recommend a factory/hard reset to reset your phone to factory state after proper backup of necessary data only.
Old 1st June 2011, 22:56   #3505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
@sagarpadaki - untick automatic update by going into those particular apps that auto update; btw its better to keep all your apps up to date.

some app may be interfering and causing such restart issues; try identifying that app and remove it, otherwise I would recommend a factory/hard reset to reset your phone to factory state after proper backup of necessary data only.

Its not update i think. I downloaded angry birds and when the download was half complete Google maps started downloading automatically!!!

Update:checked now by restarting the phone. It took 1 minute 40 seconds for the network to be established from the point the main screen comes. Is this normal?
Old 1st June 2011, 22:59   #3506
Senior - BHPian

^
around a minute seems normal; too many unnecessary apps also cause slowness issues...
Old 1st June 2011, 23:44   #3507
Senior - BHPian

Why are Android phones such a big pain in the backside?

Are they kind of like the Fiat of the mobile OS world?

Anyway, does the Dell XCD 35 come with MapMyIndia maps pre-installed?
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:32   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

no it doesnt have mmi maps.
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:32   #3509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Samurai,

So when is the CM7 getting installed? Are you tempted yet?
CMStats - Defy is now the 4th most popular handset on CM7

@Nishant - read up the ROM flashing method.

Motorola has a SBF format for ROMs. There you can choose which ROM - fixed ROMs can be rolled back but full SBFs cannot be. For defy, there are specific ROMs you must choose.

What is the corresponding scene for Samsung?
I am definitely gonna go for CM 7. Froyo from motorola is more pain than an upgrade. BTW: It took me leas than 30 minutes to root and take the backup . I Feel if you follow the steps properly you can soon be on the "bleeding edge" Cheers.
Old 2nd June 2011, 05:23   #3510
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely OHCV - There is very little ambiguity in the steps. If you follow instructions, you should be on CM7 from scratch in under 2 hours.

There is a reason why its the fourth most popular device on stats.cyanogenmod.com despite being an unofficial ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

Excuse me - you need to buy one first Maps - amit can tell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks