Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 07:29   #3811
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Because there is no api which you can call and expect the app to exit. Once an app is launched, it's supposed to run forever till the OS decides to close it.
I dont know if thats true. There are some applications that provide a exit option. Majority of them dont.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:48   #3812
BHPian

Hey guys, I am looking for a Dashboard fitment accessory for my Galaxy SL i9003. I have a Swift VXi. I have a Pioneer Single DIN panel, and theres an empty slot below that. I want the phone to be mounted in that slot or somewhere near the A/C vents so that i have convenient position to operate the phone as a GPS Navigator and general phone usage as well. I dont want a Windscreen mount as i dont find the windscreen position easy to operate(either by me of the co-driver).

I can look for this in UK (one relative is flying down) or here in Mumbai itself.
I have found one on the UK shopping site.
Car Vent Mount for Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 | eBay UK

Unfortunately i cant order this because of time constraints.
Can anybody give suggestions?
Old 10th June 2011, 10:27   #3813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hey guys, I am looking for a Dashboard fitment accessory for my Galaxy SL i9003.
Hello dJ, Can you kindly PM me your email address. I have some queries regarding the I9003. I tried to mail you via tbhp, but looks like you have blocked incoming emails.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:46   #3814

Worthy contender to Samsung Galaxy S II is here in India - HTC Sensation, around the same time with US retail market launch on 12th June.

In hand price Rs 29,499 (After Rs 1,200 off for icicilb discount code)Buy HTC Sensation at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Runs close to Galaxy S II for most specs. Beyond the hardware, final choice may boil down to,
-HTC sense v/s Samsung Touchwiz interface.
-More developer support for HTC, faster updates.

Specs HTC - Products - HTC Sensation

Difference Between HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 Difference Between HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II) | Difference Between | HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2-Compared in-depth: which dual core wonder is right for you? HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2 | News | TechRadar UK
rajanmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 11:46   #3815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hey guys, I am looking for a Dashboard fitment accessory for my Galaxy SL i9003. I have a Swift VXi. I have a Pioneer Single DIN panel, and theres an empty slot below that. I want the phone to be mounted in that slot or somewhere near the A/C vents so that i have convenient position to operate the phone as a GPS Navigator and general phone usage as well. I dont want a Windscreen mount as i dont find the windscreen position easy to operate(either by me of the co-driver).

I can look for this in UK (one relative is flying down) or here in Mumbai itself.
I have found one on the UK shopping site.
Car Vent Mount for Samsung Galaxy SL i9003 | eBay UK

Unfortunately i cant order this because of time constraints.
Can anybody give suggestions?
i want something similar. let me know what u buy

otherwise cellmate has a mount which affixes on the dashboard next to the meters above the AC and can cradle the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Bought a dell xcd 35 today. Haven't updated to 2.2 yet. will do that in about a weeks time. Once done, I guess I would be asking for all kinds of advice about it! Thank you guys, this happens to be the first thing I have bought (for myself these days, i tend to be a stingy goose when its spending for myself) after getting inputs here.
Congrats man. Let us know how the "chinese" phone performs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Okay guys,

Finally got my Defy this morning. All credit goes to Phamilyman for pushing my budget up by at least 4k. :P

Finding it notoriously difficult to use. I activated a 600MB GPRS plan for Rs. 28 on Idea in Delhi. But now I have run out of balance. While this isn't really the phone's fault, how do I turn off the GPRS?

Also, how do I exit applications (without downloading a task-killer)?

Is it possible to access internet through a USB connection to an online computer?

Other than all this, the phone looks bloody awesome! The camera quality isn't too great, but I don't really care. The screen is awesome and the high resolution lends a very vibrant look to the screen. No lag experienced in anything so far!

Cheers.
congrats. the normal tethering is where the phone's internet connection is made available as a wifi access point to other devices. u want the ulta!

USB tethering is there in CM7 - it can then act as a modem. But google arond - you should get an app that connects over bluetooth and uses the laptop's internet.

You can't exit the applications that dont have an exit button - just minimize them and forget them. Let android's garbage collection take care of the rest

PS: Why not a simple 98rs,3GB plan?
PPS: How much time taken in shipping?
Old 10th June 2011, 12:05   #3816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i want something similar. let me know what u buy

otherwise cellmate has a mount which affixes on the dashboard next to the meters above the AC and can cradle the phone.

Congrats man. Let us know how the "chinese" phone performs.

congrats. the normal tethering is where the phone's internet connection is made available as a wifi access point to other devices. u want the ulta!

USB tethering is there in CM7 - it can then act as a modem. But google arond - you should get an app that connects over bluetooth and uses the laptop's internet.

You can't exit the applications that dont have an exit button - just minimize them and forget them. Let android's garbage collection take care of the rest

Thats is reverse tethering through USB. I have been searching for this for a long time but no success. If anyone has an idea please let me know.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:28   #3817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva

I dont know if thats true. There are some applications that provide a exit option. Majority of them dont.
Yes, it is. I know because I write android, iPhone apps for a living amongst other things
As raccoon replied above, it is not recommended to have an exit button. Even those that provide an exit button may not be actually closing the application, they may be just removing the screens. You will find them in running processes even after the screens are removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe
Is it possible to access internet through a USB connection to an online computer?
In my HTC incredible it is possible, I think it's an android feature.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 10th June 2011 at 13:31.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:38   #3818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is. I know because I write android, iPhone apps for a living amongst other things
As raccoon replied above, it is not recommended to have an exit button. Even those that provide an exit button may not be actually closing the application, they may be just removing the screens. You will find them in running processes even after the screens are removed.
I am not sure if this is completely correct. I have Dolphin HD browser and AG Indian Newspaper apps installed on my Wildfire which have EXIT buttons. And the apps doesn't run even in the background after I close them by clicking the exit button.
Latitude has "sign out" option to completely exit and it comes from Google itself. You can also "Sign out" from Gtalk and it would completely stop. This will not show under Running Services. But yes, if you exit the screen of apps by clicking the back button, then for sure the apps run in background.
Infact, even ICICI Bank's IMobile app has an Exit button. I wonder why app developer miss to add such simple feature to their app.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:46   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Those apps are actually removed from RAM. And THAT is the problem - you are not supposed to do that in Android. Again, in short, Android does not like it if you manage it. It is capable of deciding when to close what.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:20   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In my HTC incredible it is possible, I think it's an android feature.
Umm.. how do I use it?

Quote:
i

Thanks! I did not have enough balance for the 98 one, and I won't be around long enough to use the 3 gigs.
I ordered Tuesday afternoon and got it yesterday morning.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:28   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Quote:
Guys,

A simple question - has anyone used any of those Gameloft or other suchlike games?

There is a severe keeda inside of me to get some games (yes, i'm talking of paying!) - but I cant figure out which ones. Without even a demo, its a random risk since phone games can sometimes be really pakau for one and engaging for the other (unlike total awesomeness such Quake III)!
Hi phamilyman, any luck with the games?
I tried some of them (Assasin's creed, Dungeon Hunter, Uno, etc) on my Desire and they work absolutely fine.
There's a free version of Asphalt in the market which you can try too.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:34   #3822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Worthy contender to Samsung Galaxy S II is here in India - HTC Sensation, around the same time with US retail market launch on 12th June.

In hand price Rs 29,499 (After Rs 1,200 off for icicilb discount code)Buy HTC Sensation at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Runs close to Galaxy S II for most specs. Beyond the hardware, final choice may boil down to,
-HTC sense v/s Samsung Touchwiz interface.
-More developer support for HTC, faster updates.

Specs HTC - Products - HTC Sensation

Difference Between HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 Difference Between HTC Sensation and Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II) | Difference Between | HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2 (Galaxy S II)

HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2-Compared in-depth: which dual core wonder is right for you? HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S2 | News | TechRadar UK
Is gonna be my next phone! I think this is still just the intro price and it will settle down to about 2k less (around 28k) in a week or so. It is yet to appear on Flipkart site and that is why I think so. S2 was introduced at 32.8k and when Flipkart made it available at 31k, letsbuy also followed suit. I am still waiting for it to appear on flipkart.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:37   #3823
BHPian

Just got my hands on a Galaxy SII that I had pre-ordered.
Boy, what a beauty!!

Light years ahead of my old SE P1i!!
Old 10th June 2011, 15:52   #3824
Senior - BHPian

Here is a good article from android dev blog, straight from Google. There is a good explanation why there is no exit button in apps.
http://android-developers.blogspot.c...droid-way.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Umm.. how do I use it?
Ok, i think this could very well be a phone specific feature. In HTC phones, when you connect the phone to pc via usb, it brings up a screen on phone where you can select different types of connections. One of them is 'internet pass-through', which shares the pc's internet with phone.
I am not sure if this feature is present in Motorola Defy. Defy users here can confirm if this is possible.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 10th June 2011 at 15:53. Reason: added link
Old 10th June 2011, 16:19   #3825
BHPian

I cant PM you as its disabled. BTW i have enabled the 'Receive Email from Other Members'. Can you try to send the mail via tbhp again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Hello dJ, Can you kindly PM me your email address. I have some queries regarding the I9003. I tried to mail you via tbhp, but looks like you have blocked incoming emails.

Most Viewed