Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 00:29   #3781
Team-BHP Support

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@ filcord,

In addition to what Jaggu has said :
- Check that proxy server setting is correctly entered or blank (this is according to whether you have a WAP type plan or full gprs)
- Check port number too

cya
R
Old 9th June 2011, 02:31   #3782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
A question for Defy users:- I've activated GPRS on my Airtel connection and everything was working fine yesterday. When I went home, I also used WiFi to connect to internet, as that was a lot faster.

Today, when I charged and switched on the device, I don't see GPRS active. Is there any key that I need to press to get it active?

TIA
Its a "feature". Infact, the default Moto UI used to do that automatically. It probably searches for the known networks every now and then in the background. Saves usage costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
save the 3900 rs and instead go for dell xcd35. HTC has crap screen and small ones too.

or the best way put in more money and go for defy.

it defies everything
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
If you have Wifi switched on, as soon as you enter a known network area, GPRS/EDGE gets disconnected and Wifi latches on. Its a beautiful feature in Androids I feel - esp from the POV of data usage and speeds.
Yep.

Infact, it is otherwise the kind of functionality one gets with paid apps like Tasker - which toggle things on/off depending on the time/location et al.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:26   #3783
BHPian

My Galaxy S2 is Awesome. Super-Duper fast, Excellent screen, Great loudspeaker, Play every video I've thrown at it, Battery holded up for around 30 hours on the first charge with Heavy Usage (Loads of downloads with both WiFi and GPRS,checking all features, playing games,videos etc). I cant really point out any thing lagging or lacking at all. Oh Yeah, GPS is super-quick. Before I can think, it Locks

Only drawback of this "Beast of a Phone" is that I tend to leave sooo many things running in the background without realizing becos there is no sign of Slow-down.

Also, I got Quadrant Standard score of 3170. This was run before installin anything on the Phone, Quadrant was the first app I downloaded. Great for a Stock phone.

Now for 2 issues that I need your opinions on:

1. The ruined the Screen-Protector that came Free with the phone while trying to put it on myself :'( . I enquired in a few stores and found that many local stores dont know what a S2 is :P . 'Sangeetha' store has assured the protector by next week. Any pointers where I can get one earlier?

2. I drive a Fiat Punto Emotion with the Stock HU modded with a AUX Cable attachment. I used my old Nokia with this contraption, to play music and take calls (listen from car speakers and talk at the phone MIC). Now this new Beast is playing music alright, but Calls are not working. I tried selecting the 'Headset' option but it asks for a Bluetooth Headset. So any idea how I 'take' calls through AUX?

Please help me with the above questions. Also let me know if anyone has any specific questions about the S2.

Take Care.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:04   #3784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Any pointers where I can get one earlier?
Why dont you try/search out on ebay here - galaxy s2 | eBay
Old 9th June 2011, 10:19   #3785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Any pointers where I can get one earlier?
While I cannot comment on early delivery, I'd suggest going for either
1. Quality Screen Protectors for Any Display by Clarivue or
2. ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins or
3. GadgetShieldz Clear Cell Phone Covers and Skins | Full-Body Invisible Shields,Screen Protectors.

I have personally used Clarivue screen protectors and they are excellent.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 9th June 2011 at 10:35.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:31   #3786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Installed Launcher7. Minimalistic Launcher with WP7 style interface. Quick, low on battery usage and smooth. Lacks different types of animation effects and hogs a bit of ROM. Mine uses about 10 MB, though the installation is just 1 MB. Here are couple of screenshots.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-scr1.jpg
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-scr2.jpg
Old 9th June 2011, 10:37   #3787
Senior - BHPian

I have personally used the 1$ for 3 screen protectors from the Hong Kong sellers on my 4" Epic Screen and they work just perfect; no need to get sucked into the costly ** from zagg et al...
Old 9th June 2011, 10:40   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I had earlier shortlisted HTC WFS and XCD35. After some research and some playing with the phones i had almost decided upon the WFS.
1. Is it worth that extra ~3.5k (HTC WFS 13,900 & DEFY 17200) ?
2. HTC WFS comes pre loaded with Android 2.3. If so, HOW?
Hi Harshal,
I know you have been flagged already for lurking on this thread and still not being aware of the Defy's defying abilities.
But here's a different take from me.
I own a HTC Wildfire since January 2011 and have been using it without any problems so far. Here's my view on it.
1. Crappy screen: Don't go by the screen resolution, go have a look at it and then you will realise that it's fairly good for normal usage. My Wildfire has a resolution of 240x320 and the S has 320x480. So it's even better.
Also, readibility under sunlight is supposed to better in the new WFS.But If you are a hardcore gamer types, then you can probably avoid it as it will not support many of the high end games, otherwise the screen is fairly good to look at.
2. You would have to agree, nobody makes phone as good looking as HTC.
Awesome to look, touch and feel and it's built to last. The new Wildfire S even has a Gorilla Glass screen IMO.
3. Camera: a very decent 5MP camera with a LED flash. Flash also works as flashlight and has come handy to me a few times. And forget to add, it takes decent photos, and good options for camera settings too.
4. I have installed more than 10 apps for my use and the phone is running fine even with it's 528 Mhz processor,384mb RAM and 512mb ROM, the new wildfire S has improved hardware and memory.
5. HTC Sense: I don't know how good is MotoBlur UI, but HTC sense just rocks, you will love it. Click and share at go, tag photos on FB, update both twitter and FB at one go. Auto update of weather to places you travel, flip to silent feature, FB integration in your contacts list, Friendstream integrates FB, twitter and Flicker. and many more features
6. I would admit it, even if the screen is small at 3.2 inches, it's fairly wide. But this is very subjective, on how big you want the screen to be.
7. While people will complain about the low hardware specs, but trust me, I have taken pics, shared it on FB, mailed to a friend and even chatted on gtalk at the same time with that limited hardware.Multi-tasking would not be a issue.
8.If you are not a geek, and don't want to become one, WFS has all it takes and it comes pre-loaded with 2.3 gingerbread, so what max will you do to it?
9.I would not comment on other phones, because it highly subjective on what you like and what you don't. I have wrote this for those people who keep bashing Wildfire just because of it's inferior specs even though they have not used it. For a normal person, who wants everything out of the box, WFS would be the best choice in the budget.
10. You can also get LG P500 with same specs and even cheaper but go hold both in your hand and then decide which one feels better.
Dell XCD35 is good on specs, but it's just a rebranded chinese phone. It comes cheap too and as I have read on the forum, it's very mod friendly.
So you will have to decide on what you are looking for.

I would rest my case.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 9th June 2011 at 10:41.
Old 9th June 2011, 11:04   #3789
Team-BHP Support

Even I feel HTC Wildfire S is a great package and VFM too. I would have waited and bought that if not for Defy.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 11:10   #3790
Senior - BHPian

+100 Wildfire is a super value for money phone. i got it from letsbuy for 9700 last month. i simply love this phone. The phone is built very solidly and you can only feel it.
All these stories of poor display are utter crap. You will never notice this unless you read the print. Unless you are a hardcore gamer or mutimedia user it hardly matters.
With normal usage Iam getting a battery time of ~3days
I also love the HTC sense.
Wildfire S can only get better. i don't think it is justified to compare it with Dell Xcd35. Please don't go pnly by spec.

Last edited by poloman : 9th June 2011 at 11:23.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 11:40   #3791
Senior - BHPian

There is just no way that being a nice 320x480 display is "good enough" when there are 800x480 displays available at the similar price point. WFS may have a lot of things going for it but definitely not the screen.

The reason we buy androids is the rich apps & how they use the screen real estate. Else the Galaxy Pro is a super buy at 12k.

Maybe people who look beyond specs and talk of feel, should start by looking at the screen as well!!

PS: Ive seen a movie inflight on my Defy so I know the value of a good screen, thank you!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 12:06   #3792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is just no way that being a nice 320x480 display is "good enough" when there are 800x480 displays available at the similar price point.
I agree, but I have mentioned that this is very subjective and if somebody is into high-end gaming and multimedia, WFS can be avoided because of it's screen, but for normal usage(even viewing videos), the screen is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Maybe people who look beyond specs and talk of feel, should start by looking at the screen as well!!
PS: Ive seen a movie inflight on my Defy so I know the value of a good screen, thank you!
Sorry, but have to answer this.
My history of cell phone usage goes back to year 2000. And in this 11 years of usage, I have inferred that for whatever I have to use the phone, I have to look at the screen anyhow, or is there anyway else that we can operate the phone, that I am missing.
Screen resolution spec cannot be the only criteria to select a phone. You don't know what a person is looking for in the phone,so let's leave it that.
And I see a video almost daily at home or office on my phone with 240x320 resolution and I have no reason to complain. After all it's just a phone and not some high end LED tv.
But I have not experienced it on flight, so can't comment on that
While I accept, that Defy is superior than Wildfire , but why deride the Wildfire just because of it's inferior specs that too when you have not used it.
I am using it for last 6 months, so I think I can comment about it's usability. That is all I have to say. Hope you don't mind.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:23   #3793
Senior - BHPian

^
Just to contribute to the screen debate; I have a 4" screen with a Super Amoled 480x800 screen on my Samsung and still I never use it to watch full length feature films; just aint worth it (unless you are stuck on a remote island ) compared to the LED in the br/pc.

So the usage pattern is very individualistic and differs from person to person and cannot be generalised. Though if all other specs/price remain same, one should go for the one with a better screen, of course. However that is not always the case, and I especially avoid Motorola's, as I have stated before, due to their P-I-A when compared to the Samsung's/Htc's...
Old 9th June 2011, 12:50   #3794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
Though if all other specs/price remain same, one should go for the one with a better screen, of course. However that is not always the case, and I especially avoid Motorola's, as I have stated before, due to their P-I-A when compared to the Samsung's/Htc's...
You are welcome to come check out the relevant XDA thread: [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (Android 2.3.4) - xda-developers
6300+ posts in 57 days. 18500 installations of CM7. Isnt that proof?
If you still hold your opinion against the facts (that the 2nd init workaround gets you around the locked bootloader) what can I say?

As an Indian - a jugaad is good enough for us, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Screen resolution spec cannot be the only criteria to select a phone. You don't know what a person is looking for in the phone,so let's leave it that.
And I see a video almost daily at home or office on my phone with 240x320 resolution and I have no reason to complain. After all it's just a phone and not some high end LED tv.
But I have not experienced it on flight, so can't comment on that
While I accept, that Defy is superior than Wildfire , but why deride the Wildfire just because of it's inferior specs that too when you have not used it.
I am using it for last 6 months, so I think I can comment about it's usability. That is all I have to say. Hope you don't mind.
That is my only point. I have played with it in stores. I need not own any phone to be able to comment on the inadequate screen for God's sakes. I am not denying that hte rest of the package is VFM. I am saying that at that price point there is a good enough option in the XCD 35. Doesn't HTC itself sell a variant of the Desire as the Desire HD? And calling the XCD35 chinese is an illogical argument - because even the iPhone is made in China. Have you used it long enough? I have an XCD28 in the family and its decent.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:50   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Technical wizadry beyond the human sense,perception and requirement is done by companies only to jack up the specs and there by prices. We are talking about devices of screen sizes 2-4" . I fail to understand why companies are plonking >1GHz muticore behemoths in them sucking power more like a laptop. The reason some may say.My apps are opening with out lag of 0.5s other phone is suffering from. Come on. do you really mind 0.5s in real life? How a very high quadrant score is going to help you other than soothing your ego?

Last edited by poloman : 9th June 2011 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks