Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 14:06   #5086
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes even i am facing the problem s you have mentioned.This switching off thing happens even in normal condition too!

Have given my phone to service center.Hope they update the firware or else i will have to do it myself!But this is not what you expect when you spend close to 20K on a premium phone!

I suggest everyone who are planning to pour their hard earned money on a high end android not to buy this Galaxy SL I9003.There are lot more better options in the same range.But dont buy the I9003!

Thanks mate.Will have a look into it!
This is interesting. My friend's phone had issues with the internal SD card removal error. We flashed multiple firmwares but the problem didn't go away. It was sent for warranty - they changed the PCB (so the job sheet said). but 4 hours later - same error.

Flashing on samsung is easy once u get the hang of it. Takes <=3 min on the i9003 (we flashed about 15+ times!! ) but I'm beginning to wonder about samsung's quality control in this model in particular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
This one is a good find! Thanks.
I would be interested in getting something like this for my wife (though she is not fond of QWERTY keyboards). Can you recommend something similar which does not have QWERTY keyboard? A mobile tracker (anti-theft) feature is a must for that phone.
mobile trackers are complete BS. I bought Theft Aware (the current gold standard) and after many cycles of flashing the firmware, I can safely say it doesn't do the job with smart thieves. With dumb thieves, anything goes.

galaxy pro is a good buy at that price for someone who wants a keyboard. else there's the defy at 14k

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Dear Android market watchers

Is there any phone out there which is <=9.5K INR with

1) 600/667 Mhz processor which can be overclocked to at least 800/1Ghz easily? (Mod friendly)
2) A decent display with at least 400 pixels on the longer side
3) With A-GPS, WiFi, BT with A2DP and may be FM radio as well?
Dell XCD35 does the entire job. Should go to 800 or 900 mhz max. 1ghz is pushing it. Letsbuy+rcomlb1 coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Question is- How much to offer for a one year old sparingly used S10 mini pro as a win-win situation for both parties?
2-3 times what croma or univercell will offer. They will mostly say something in the range of 1.5-3k
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 14:50   #5087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is interesting. My friend's phone had issues with the internal SD card removal error. We flashed multiple firmwares but the problem didn't go away. It was sent for warranty - they changed the PCB (so the job sheet said). but 4 hours later - same error.

Flashing on samsung is easy once u get the hang of it. Takes <=3 min on the i9003 (we flashed about 15+ times!! ) but I'm beginning to wonder about samsung's quality control in this model in particular!

What kind of quality control are you talking about regarding this particular model?
Old 25th July 2011, 15:36   #5088
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using the Samsung Galaxy Pro ?

With the recent price cuts, this model seems really VFM.

But I am a bit skeptical about this model. Why is its price falling so quickly ? Does it have some known issues ?

Rohan
Old 25th July 2011, 15:50   #5089
Senior - BHPian

I am confused between the Samsung Nexus S and the iPhone 3Gs. Both are available for around 20k and both fulfill my needs. Cant seem to choose which platform to migrate to from windows mobile.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:51   #5090
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am confused between the Samsung Nexus S and the iPhone 3Gs. Both are available for around 20k and both fulfill my needs. Cant seem to choose which platform to migrate to from windows mobile.
It all depends upon purpose.
You want to show off. Get the iphone.
you want to do stuff, get the android.

So basically, it all depends, whats the purpose.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 15:51   #5091
Senior - BHPian

@rohan iitr
why dont you read this review by engadget to assess its quality. Though it still does not replace a blackberry for a BB user, but they are comparing it with phones almost 3-4 times its price. The Indian model also has 3G. In my opinion it's a very good proposition given its throwaway price - Samsung Galaxy Pro review -- Engadget Mobile

Last edited by dkaile : 25th July 2011 at 16:05.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 16:59   #5092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What kind of quality control are you talking about regarding this particular model?
a. I don't expect this model to have the internal sd card removed error - it was in the earlier generation of phones mostly if u google
b. it shouldn't come back with the same error after service center replaced the PCB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

But I am a bit skeptical about this model. Why is its price falling so quickly ? Does it have some known issues ?

Rohan
Because no one is buying it?

Its a straddle piece
- too small a screen makes junta buy the optimus one or the xcd35.
- the hardcore qwerty guys will buy a blackberry anyday for its superior mail integration and just all around text goodness.

For those who want it - its a good piece. a friend has had one for 3 months and no complaints IIRC

@Jaguar: For a very simple user with simple usage (games/apps okay but not too much performance) - I would say apple anyday. The UI is just soo much cooler. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty - android is far more VFM.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:58   #5093
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I would say the Nexus S. I've just ordered one. The iPhone 3GS is already outdated and with the 4G already out and 5 round the corner, the show off factor is not much. Plus the iTunes is a real pain to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
It all depends upon purpose.
You want to show off. Get the iphone.
you want to do stuff, get the android.

So basically, it all depends, whats the purpose.
Correct except that the show off factor is now wearing off.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:22   #5094
BHPian

Re: Duplicate SPAM folder!

This is about the K9-Mail app for Yahoo. I see it create a separate SPAM folder under 'My Folders', even when there being a generic folder for SPAM. So when i log into my yahoo account from laptop, i see 2 folders for SPAM. Is there anyway that we can avoid this?

Please advice.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:46   #5095
BHPian

Re: Duplicate SPAM folder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This is about the K9-Mail app for Yahoo. I see it create a separate SPAM folder under 'My Folders', even when there being a generic folder for SPAM. So when i log into my yahoo account from laptop, i see 2 folders for SPAM. Is there anyway that we can avoid this?

Please advice.
The official Yahoo! mail app from Yahoo works flawlessly. Try using that
Old 25th July 2011, 19:18   #5096
BHPian

Defy users, I need help on managing contacts. I had made a copy of my of contacts on to my SIM card before my old phone died.

1. When I tried to import the contacts from SIM to Defy, the contacts came with the first name surname format.
eg, contacts names on old phone/sim card like Arun - 9xxxxxxxx and Arun T-Bhp - 9xxxxxx are now shown as Arun/1 and T-Bhp;Arun/1. Is there a way to change this original way (like in old phones) ?

2. I tried exporting the contacts to .csv format and in the exported sheet i get junk numbers, eg. Arun - +919xxxxxxx is now Arun - 9.19885E+11. When I try to change it to actual number it doesnt let me do it

Last edited by donarun : 25th July 2011 at 19:20.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:21   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Defy users, I need help on managing contacts. I had made a copy of my of contacts on to my SIM card before my old phone died.

1. When I tried to import the contacts from SIM to Defy, the contacts came with the first name surname format.
eg, contacts names on old phone/sim card like Arun - 9xxxxxxxx and Arun T-Bhp - 9xxxxxx are now shown as Arun/1 and T-Bhp;Arun/1. Is there a way to change this original way (like in old phones) ?

2. I tried exporting the contacts to .csv format and in the exported sheet i get junk numbers, eg. Arun - +919xxxxxxx is now Arun - 9.19885E+11. When I try to change it to actual number it doesnt let me do it

I think your old phone was a sony ericsson.You have to change the format of contacts manually.No other go
Old 25th July 2011, 20:31   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
I just got this phone few days back. I feel its a good VFM phone considering is Android. The only -ve I can think of is its battery, considering that we overuse the internet and play with media when its brand new and especially if its the first android that you buy.
Many negatives have been said about the screen resolution, but I feel it all depends on what you are graduation from - if you are used to iPhone and SGII, you may feel that the resolutoin is less.

You have very few phones (on this price range) that is Android and has a qwerty keys. I got this one from letsby for 7.5k

P.S:
I haven't used a BB or Android before, I was ussing a SE P1i before.
mTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 21:21   #5099
Senior - BHPian

@mTorque - Excellent mini review mate. Exactly what I felt about this phone after holding it for a few hours. Prospective buyers should go by actual users reviews rather than website reviews (which can be biased) or generalized views by a large no. of followers of such websites. Its a excellent handset for its price. Period.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:51   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post

You should save it into a CSV, then process it via excel. That should do it. worst case - email me a sample, i'llwrite an excel code and send it back to u

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@mTorque - Excellent mini review mate. Exactly what I felt about this phone after holding it for a few hours. Prospective buyers should go by actual users reviews rather than website reviews (which can be biased) or generalized views by a large no. of followers of such websites. Its a excellent handset for its price. Period.
Mostly yes. But then, its neither a BB, nor is it as much fun as a desire for instance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks