Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:25   #21916
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Motorola has also announced that with the 6.0 update, some Moto features that are already available in the stock AOSP ROM will be removed. Moto Assist, for example.

Even though my 2013 Moto G isn't on the list for the 6.0 update, I'm pretty happy with what I've received so far. When I bought it, it was on Jellybean 4.3. Now it's on 5.1, which is the latest version of Android until 6.0 is out. Pretty impressive for a budget phone, I must say.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:35   #21917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Here is official list of Motorola devices getting Android 6 Marshmallow update:
  • 2014 Moto G and Moto G with 4G LTE2 (2nd gen)
Have people received Moto G (2nd gen) update to 5.1?
My Moto G2, was 5.0.2 out of the box & it keeps getting updates, it's still on 5.0.2 (with Kernel build of Aug 26 2015).

Every few days I restart the phone.
Many a times I have seen "Upgrading app x of x" OR "optimizing app x of x" messages.

That's a lot of upgrades & optimizations, after which the phone seems indifferent, anyway

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 3rd October 2015 at 17:36.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:38   #21918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Have people received Moto G (2nd gen) update to 5.1?
My Moto G2, was 5.0.2 out of the box & it keeps getting updates, it's still on 5.0.2 (with Kernel build of Aug 26 2015).

Every few days I restart the phone.
Many a times I have seen "Upgrading app x of x" OR "optimizing app x of x" messages.

That's a lot of upgrades & optimizations, after which the phone seems indifferent, anyway

Ace.

Ahh, you see those messages you see during the boot process are not updates being applied, instead they are the apps being pre compiled. Android 5.x uses the ART runtime, which pre compiles apps so that they consume lesser RAM and are launched faster.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:50   #21919
BHPian

The 5.0.2 firmware running on Moto G2 has lots of bugs. There are few MotoG2 in my family and few of them keep complaining about performance and other bugs. Since Marshmallow has released, looks like Motorola will skip the 5.1 and will throw 6.x straight onto the MotoG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Motorola has also announced that with the 6.0 update, some Moto features that are already available in the stock AOSP ROM will be removed. Moto Assist, for example.
This is due to features conflict between Moto Assist and Android Marshmallow, even Lollipop provides similar facility under 'Priority Notification'. Its kind of freeing up the devices from those apps/services which are no more useful and can be considered as useless bloatware. And Motorola is known for bloatware free devices.

"Android 6.0 Marshmallow includes some great new features similar to things we’ve developed in the past. For example, you’ll find an option for ‘Do not disturb’ under the ‘Sound and notification’ settings to make sure you’re not interrupted during meetings or while sleeping. That’s similar to Moto Assist, so we’re removing Moto Assist as part of the upgrade to M.

Android M also enhances support for backing up user data. These improvements duplicate most of what Motorola Migrate provides. Consequently, we’ll retire Motorola Migrate and no longer preload it going forward."
Source

Quote:
Even though my 2013 Moto G isn't on the list for the 6.0 update, I'm pretty happy with what I've received so far. When I bought it, it was on Jellybean 4.3. Now it's on 5.1, which is the latest version of Android until 6.0 is out. Pretty impressive for a budget phone, I must say.
Now its the time you root it and start playing with custom ROMS

Last edited by tbppjpr : 3rd October 2015 at 18:14.
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:05   #21920
BHPian

Quote:
Now its the time you root it and start playing with custom ROMS
I was a big fan of Carbon ROM and PA before I got the G. Will wait until 6.x versions of those come out, and then
Old 4th October 2015, 20:43   #21921
BHPian

Quote:
I was a big fan of Carbon ROM and PA before I got the G. Will wait until 6.x versions of those come out, and then
Hey Speed.Demon, if you are into custom ROMs, check out Resurrection Remix official for the first gen Moto G. It's an amazing ROM, and has been the same for any devices I've tried it on. Stable, great battery life and lots of features including active display, navigation button controls (though the G is an on-screen only phone), screen record, and more. And it has a sensational boot animation in the latest builds. Would strongly suggest you to flash it on.
Old 4th October 2015, 21:38   #21922
Team-BHP Support

Which is the best free app to manage pics in a phone ? I need to segregate the pics and videos that I click from the ones received on whatsapp in different folders.
Old 4th October 2015, 22:35   #21923
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to play any video stored on my phone received over Whatsapp or Bluetooth.
It gives either of following Errors "Can't play video" or "The file format is not supported".

I don't remember what I did and this happened.
Is there any way to sort out this without hard resetting the phone?
Phone in question is Micromax A117 Canvas Magnus running Android 4.2.1.
Old 4th October 2015, 22:49   #21924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Which is the best free app to manage pics in a phone ? I need to segregate the pics and videos that I click from the ones received on whatsapp in different folders.
It seems you aren't using a stock Android device, Eddy. Because the stock Android gallery has pictures displayed in folders and I guess even has the option to move photos across folders. There are many solid gallery apps in the Play Store, but most are either filled with ads, or require you to login/register to user them. I think Google photos is really good. It shows you a timeline by default, bit there's a folder view in the side menu as well. And there's cloud backup and sync through Google as well.

Last edited by mukul32 : 4th October 2015 at 22:54.
Old 4th October 2015, 23:21   #21925
BHPian

QuickPic is nice gallery replacement app. I have used it for long time on my one of non-pure Android phone.
Old 5th October 2015, 04:44   #21926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Hey Speed.Demon, if you are into custom ROMs, check out Resurrection Remix official for the first gen Moto G.
Thanks for the suggestion, will have a look.

Quote:
QuickPic is nice gallery replacement app. I have used it for long time on my one of non-pure Android phone.
I am a long time user of QuickPic as well. But do note that the app has been taken over by Cheetah Mobile, who are famous for making ad filled cleaner and booster apps.
Old 6th October 2015, 14:13   #21927
BHPian

I have a problem with my Zen Sonic 1. Whenever i turn on apps that use GPS my phone keeps beeping every alternate second that i consumed 4kb, 2kb, 8kb data or whatever. This happens even when i am on WiFi. Since, i have a data pack i don't get charged but when my data pack expires i get billed 10p for every beep. It beeps atleast 30 to 40 times in a minute.

Experts on the thread please give your inputs and a solution to this.

It is kind of embarrassing that i am unable to figure out a solution despite being an IT engineer.

Last edited by bharatbits : 6th October 2015 at 14:16.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:24   #21928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Stock Android does this by default.

About the ads, if you want to get rid of them use adblock or similar app (you need to be rooted).
Old 7th October 2015, 00:34   #21929
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a good (most importantly-lag free) phone under 30k ? Good camera being a priority, I did think of the Z3 Compact, but somehow Sony's version of the OS seems overloaded with crap (like Touchwiz). OPT seemed good but camera isn't exactly great. Any other alternatives ?
Old 7th October 2015, 00:41   #21930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Can anyone suggest a good (most importantly-lag free) phone under 30k ? Good camera being a priority, I did think of the Z3 Compact, but somehow Sony's version of the OS seems overloaded with crap (like Touchwiz). OPT seemed good but camera isn't exactly great. Any other alternatives ?

If possible, id suggest waiting for the moto x style edition. That will be a killer of a device at a 30k price point.
The OPT camera is pretty good though, just got the phone for my sister. Compared images side by side with my iphone 6, differences were pretty minor.. Good enough for mobile and social media photography atleast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks