Old 19th September 2015, 20:46   #21841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Thad

You can also check this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o07_s00

This is what i got on a sale and it charges super fast and its a 2Amp and it rapidly charges my phone, my tablet and even my cameras , portable battery and what not.

I also have a 3 point charger as well which is similar to this.
That looks good, being actually Quick Charge 2. Do they deliver to India? Amazon.com thinks I'm in London at the moment, until I bother to change the settings again.

(EDIT: "This item does not ship to India.")
(EDIT2: it's here at amazon.in)
(EDIT3: Mi4i is mentioned in the specific compatibility list)
(I'm getting my money's worth from the edit window on this post!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Don't jump just yet.

First check MI4i's charging logic. TBPP has a motoX. Here's how Samsung does it - check what MI does.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...charger-66256/

My experience says its better to go to local accessories shop - try 5 chargers and buy the one which actually works with your phone.
I had no idea that a Samsung phone requires a Samsung charger! That's a black mark in my book. My M4i does charge from other chargers: I still have my Moto charger in the bedroom, and if I need to charge it overnight, it will be charged by the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Comes with a India specific 2 pin power plug

Rated at 2A
What, really India specific? As in actually fits our sockets, with the right diameter prongs at the right spacing? That gets special extra bonus points from me!

I get so fed up with electronics/electrics sold in India with various foreign 2-pin plugs, which is now the rule rather than the exception.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th September 2015 at 20:56.
Old 20th September 2015, 00:02   #21842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is one problem. I dont see any of these rapid chargers being available for sale. Any of those companies. HTC, Moto etc. Any pointers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Buy the Sony CP-AD2 charger. It's a legit 2A charger and probably the best available in India. Make sure to buy the version with 1.5meter USB cable. the build quality is outstanding.
Nooooo - that is the same mistake I made. I had bought the Sony CP-AD2 and it is just a normal charger. If your phone supports fast charging, this will not do it. I checked on xda as well and finally ordered an Aukey fast charger - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qualc...352104854.html
Old 20th September 2015, 01:32   #21843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
had no idea that a Samsung phone requires a Samsung charger! That's a black mark in my book. My M4i does charge from other chargers: I still have my Moto charger in the bedroom, and if I need to charge it overnight, it will be charged by the morning.
It also depends on the cable. I was using a borrowed HTC Desire 820s intermittently. It charges at 1.1A using its charger. Then I ended up leaving it at a hotel for a couple of weeks. in the interim using my old BB cable, it wasn't charging at 1A but more like 500 ma. Using the ampere app, I found that even buying cables worth Rs 500 from Croma (Delhi airport), I was only charging at 500 mA (connected to mi power bank). They had a cable that did the job - but at Rs 800, I passed, because I was hoping I could get a proper OEM charger at Rs 500 only!

Hence, my suggestion to anyone these days is to buy a replacement charger while buying a new phone (unless its apple whose cables are made of unobtanium!) because the hassle of buying replacement chargers is just not worth it.
Old 20th September 2015, 02:16   #21844
Distinguished - BHPian

This is weird. USB charging was hailed as the no-more-proprietry-cables, universal solution. And now it ...isn't. Why do these companies have to screw up like this? We bought their phone, for goodness sake!

Hey Ho....
Old 20th September 2015, 21:27   #21845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hence, my suggestion to anyone these days is to buy a replacement charger while buying a new phone (unless its apple whose cables are made of unobtanium!) because the hassle of buying replacement chargers is just not worth it.
Quote:
This is weird. USB charging was hailed as the no-more-proprietry-cables, universal solution. And now it ...isn't. Why do these companies have to screw up like this? We bought their phone, for goodness sake!
Guys please note (I think) the max current limit on USB2 (or USB3) is a specification when the device is connected to a master. In other words what is the max a USB master can source. (Eg when you connect your phone to a laptop). When its connected to a power source it can go higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nooooo - that is the same mistake I made. I had bought the Sony CP-AD2 and it is just a normal charger. If your phone supports fast charging, this will not do it.
Thanks for the update. Holding my purchase. Basically need to figure out if the charger supports Quickcharge 2.0

Quote:
Look at the Aukey ones that VW2010 pointed me towards. It is in the product name, and they commit to specific phone models as suported. I'm now thinking of getting one for the house and one for the car! But they are expensive.

Looking at that. I also saw the Sony Charger spec once again. Its a genuine 2A charger and many users do claim about that part. But it may not be quick charge compatible. So when its charging, I dont how the current limit/cut-off circuit reacts in this case.

Last edited by ampere : 21st September 2015 at 07:26.
Old 20th September 2015, 21:41   #21846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Basically need to figure out if the charger support Quickcharge 2.0
Look at the Aukey ones that VW2010 pointed me towards. It is in the product name, and they commit to specific phone models as suported. I'm now thinking of getting one for the house and one for the car! But they are expensive.
Old 20th September 2015, 22:35   #21847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys please note (I think) the max current limit on USB2 (or USB3) is a specification when the device is connected to a master. In other words what is the max a USB master can source. (Eg when you connect your phone to a laptop). When its connected to a power source it can go higher.
Sirjee,

Let me describe it again - the powersource was unchanged. Same HTC phone connected to same MI 10400 mah battery bank via two different cables.
one cable - charges at 500 mA, second cable, charges at 1100 mA.

Tried different pieces as well - same observation.
Old 20th September 2015, 22:39   #21848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tried different pieces as well - same observation.
Got it. I thought you guys were referring to the max current rating. Yes in this case it is surely the cable impedance making the difference.
Old 21st September 2015, 08:32   #21849
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and i accidentally dropped it and smashed the screen. I am currently in Melbourne and the i checked with a few screen repairing places and they quoting $250-$350. My wife is flying to India next week and I was thinking may be i send it with her and get it fixed there.

Would someone know what wiuld it cost there?

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1442804467678.jpg  

Old 21st September 2015, 08:47   #21850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi All,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and i accidentally dropped it and smashed the screen. I am currently in Melbourne and the i checked with a few screen repairing places and they quoting $250-$350. My wife is flying to India next week and I was thinking may be i send it with her and get it fixed there.

Would someone know what wiuld it cost there?

Regards,

Samsung generally offers a free screen replacement within 6 months of warranty. The offer keeps coming and going, so not too sure.
If you do find a guy who is willing to split the upper glass and lower display, cost should be close to 4k rupees.
However, it is very difficult to find someone. The entire unit from samsung should be around 13-15k rupees.
Old 21st September 2015, 09:26   #21851
Distinguished - BHPian

Those with magnetic charging docks on their phones, I picked this for 20USD from Ali for the Z1.
It adds another 3000mAh to the capacity, basically its just a shaped battery pack. So the phone is never out of charge. Pretty cool.
There's stuff available for just a few other devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20150921_092011_1413724546.jpg  

Old 21st September 2015, 10:00   #21852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Those with magnetic charging docks on their phones, I picked this for 20USD from Ali for the Z1.
It adds another 3000mAh to the capacity, basically its just a shaped battery pack. So the phone is never out of charge. Pretty cool.
There's stuff available for just a few other devices.
Thats cool! Can you provide a link please?
Old 21st September 2015, 10:05   #21853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats cool! Can you provide a link please?
Here You go:
Portable 3200mAh Power Bank Case Backup Battery Charger Case For Sony Xperia Z1 L39h ( Xperia Z1 ) Purple
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Purpl...489440083.html
(from AliExpress Android)
Old 21st September 2015, 10:23   #21854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Holding my purchase. Basically need to figure out if the charger supports Quickcharge 2.0
Yes, the Aukey link I had posted- the charger supports QuickCharge 2.0. You can get it here in India too - even many other OEM chargers support QuickCharge 2.0 but they are too costly.
Old 21st September 2015, 17:47   #21855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nooooo - that is the same mistake I made. I had bought the Sony CP-AD2 and it is just a normal charger. If your phone supports fast charging, this will not do it. I checked on xda as well and finally ordered an Aukey fast charger - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Qualc...352104854.html
If your phone supports QC 2.0, go for it you'll be limited to the cable provided by the charger, use any other cable and it will default back to normal 2A charging.

Quote:
It also depends on the cable. I was using a borrowed HTC Desire 820s intermittently. It charges at 1.1A using its charger. Then I ended up leaving it at a hotel for a couple of weeks. in the interim using my old BB cable, it wasn't charging at 1A but more like 500 ma.
Very true. Cheap cables can do only 500mA.

Quote:
Its got to do with the construction of cables.

USB cable has 4 wires in it, Data +, Data -, Power +, Power -. As per specs, Data wires can be 28AWG and Power wires must be 24AWG. Cheap cables have all 4 wires in 28AWG to save on costs and hence the wires are current limited to 500mA only. Proper USB cables with 24AWG power wires will enable 2A charging if the phone and cable support it.

Look for these markings when buying a USB cable. Only these cables support 2A charging.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20150921_173449001.jpg

I use a couple of USB charger doctors to monitor charging, my Oneplus One is very temperamental and charges at 1.83A when its only between 25-75% battery. 75-90 its 1A and above is limited to 0.64A. Very useful tool to diagnose what is wrong with charging. My Mi 10400mAH power charges faster than its rated for and I couldn't be happier!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20150911wa0021.jpg

For the guys interested in QC 2.0, the cables need power lines having 20AWG wires.

PS : I've suffered enough of low quality USB cables and I got a friend to get me 3 dozens of awesome USB cables from USA not to mention anker/ravpower 40W charging stations for home, 2x2A chargers for the car and so on. I'm all set as far as cables and chargers go hehe.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20150713wa0051.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks