Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2015, 17:44   #22066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Hey guys,
I am looking for an excellent camera phone with a budget of 30 to 35k. I want good battery life and DUAL SIM functionality. I am looking at either the Oneplus 2 or the LG G4. Does the G4 have significantly better camera? Is there anything else I should consider?
Extend to 37k and get the iPhone 6. your resale will be magnificent as well. Its got an outstanding camera that's really simple to use.

Else the G4!
Old 17th October 2015, 19:43   #22067
BHPian

The LG G4 seems the better out of the two you mentioned. But you need to keep in mind that for all the cutting edge hardware and specs, the LG software UI is pathetic. It is just a desperate Samsung copy, with really ugly and poor design, lot of bloatware, and useless gimmicks by the name of 'features'. If you are okay with seriously doubtful availability and service support, the OP2 also makes a decent case for itself.
But, better than either of them, I would suggest the LG Nexus 5X. It has just 32 gigs of non expandable storage, but it comes well built, stock Android marshmallow, a really fast fingerprinscanner that the G4 lacks, and a great camera (much better than the 12MP figure might suggest). Alternatively, if you don't mind a big phone, the Moto X style is also a great option. And it has the dual sim slots and an SD card slot too.
But finally, my last suggestion would be the Nexus. And if you can't do without the two sims, the Moto.

Last edited by mukul32 : 17th October 2015 at 19:46.
Old 17th October 2015, 21:06   #22068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Just started using SwiftKey Neutral Keyboard. Sadly, there is no SwiftKey Cloud option (Missing my old SwiftKey predictions)
I don't know about this "neural" variety, but, having paid for Swype, I got Swiftkey free with my m4i, began to use it and never went back to Swype. I much prefer the keyboard layout and its options.
Old 17th October 2015, 23:45   #22069
BHPian

Shatterprrof screen! Thats cool, let's see: http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...d-verizon-docs

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-droidturbo2maxx2copy1.jpg
Old 17th October 2015, 23:56   #22070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The LG G4 seems the better out of the two you mentioned. But you need to keep in mind that for all the cutting edge hardware and specs, the LG software UI is pathetic. It is just a desperate Samsung copy, with really ugly and poor design, lot of bloatware, and useless gimmicks by the name of 'features'. If you are okay with seriously doubtful availability and service support, the OP2 also makes a decent case for itself.
But, better than either of them, I would suggest the LG Nexus 5X. It has just 32 gigs of non expandable storage, but it comes well built, stock Android marshmallow, a really fast fingerprinscanner that the G4 lacks, and a great camera (much better than the 12MP figure might suggest). Alternatively, if you don't mind a big phone, the Moto X style is also a great option. And it has the dual sim slots and an SD card slot too.
But finally, my last suggestion would be the Nexus. And if you can't do without the two sims, the Moto.
I really can't do without the two sims. I believe the moto style is single sim while the play is dual sim. The play has snapdragon 615 which is not future proof in my opinion. I am also doubtful about the service support available to LG owners. OP2 now seems attractive to me I guess.
Old 18th October 2015, 08:40   #22071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Shatterprrof screen! Thats cool, let's see: http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-...d-verizon-docs
I guess the Turbo 2 has the sapphire glass screen, which was rumored to be introduced in the iPhone 6 that supposedly makes the screen shatter-proof.
It's good that a company is not waiting for Apple to implement a technology first.
Old 18th October 2015, 14:03   #22072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I really can't do without the two sims. I believe the moto style is single sim while the play is dual sim. The play has snapdragon 615 which is not future proof in my opinion. I am also doubtful about the service support available to LG owners. OP2 now seems attractive to me I guess.
I've checked on Flipkart, and the X style is indeed dual SIM, although both SIM's are nano SIM. And it has SD card support as well. No fingerprint scanner, but right now in India, it is more of a gimmick than a necessity.
However, the 21MP sensor is excellent, and the quick gestures to open the camera should be really handy. Plus, a beautiful screen and stock Android. I'd say book it without a second thought. However, it's huge, so hope you have big hands and big pockets.
Old 18th October 2015, 18:34   #22073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
INo fingerprint scanner, but right now in India, it is more of a gimmick than a necessity.
I hope your realize that finger print scanner unlocks your screen without entering pin ?

Most of the people who sync their work email, have PIN lock enabled and they enter the pin at least 100 times in a day.
Finger print scanner makes life easy.

Android pay implementation is far from a reality in INDIA, but screen unlock is the primary purpose.
Old 18th October 2015, 19:11   #22074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
It's good that a company is not waiting for Apple to implement a technology first.
Quote:
No fingerprint scanner, but right now in India, it is more of a gimmick than a necessity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Android pay implementation is far from a reality in INDIA, but screen unlock is the primary purpose.
First thing why should Motorola follow Apple or anyone else they themselves are benchmark setters, rather they are the one who created mobile industry and opened doors for others.

Coming onto the fingerprint scanner, Motorola used it long-long ago in their first generation Atrix smartphone. That time there wasn't any mobile pay service so the sensor was solely used for unlocking the phone and placement was also rather ergonomic on top of the phone. (Google for more info on Atrix fingerprint unlocking).

Later Motorola ditched the fingerprint sensor because it wasn't that useful that time. They also refused to used it again saying that its not that useful right now and second thing Apple has bought best fingerprint sensor manufacturer and others are not that accurate. They said they may consider it again when they find any feasibility.

And don't forget their first waterproof smartphone Defy. Then their innovative MotoX series from where Google has also been lifting features.

Yeah, Motorola is not that popular brand in India but its quite reputed brand with decent fan following in few other parts of the world.

Only wish they somehow manage to come out of Lenovo ownership before getting ruined like IBM Thinkpad series.
Old 19th October 2015, 19:37   #22075
Senior - BHPian

Moto X Pure - A short overview. Phones previously used Apple, Samsung, Nexus and even Sony.
Build:-
- Definitely feels great if not premium (I reserve that for the S6 and IPhone series). It’s better than the Nexus 5, feels much better on hands than the Samsung S5 and similar to the LG G4
- The glass looks somehow stronger and the buttons are actually easier to operate than compared to my S5.
- The micro sim and SD cards are designed to sit in the same slot which i think is a neat idea.
Screen and UI
- Screen is pretty bright for most of the users. Lacks the dynamic pop you are used to with a Samsung. It’s not as dull as the LG G4 but between LG G4 and the Samsung to me. Edge plus will run circles around for screen dynamics
- UI is just stock android and feels nexus in all ways. The UI is not bloated and runs very lean.
- UI also has lots of neat tricks including the google search integrated via Moto. The voice commands actually work. My S5 struggles for various reasons and is slow compared, to churn out results. (Can set alarms, Calendars, and a simple what’s up tell your schedule etc).
Speed and Functionality
- Device is pretty fast. Although there is not much in the phone the overall responses to various keys and functions are pretty fast.
- if you ever liked Nexus, you will LOVE moto.
-If you ever hated Samsung bloat ware, welcome to a cleaner world.
-Lots of neat tricks make the phone easy to use and even the voice commands can be discrete by simply actions.

Camera

- Camera is pretty premium at bright lights
- Struggles tremendously once the available lights go down
- Flash is pretty ordinary and may not give you more than 1-2 feet of coverage.
- Slo-Mo is good and 4K videos are good (Light is your primary need)
- Loading the camera and taking a picture is very fast. I still give the edge to Samsung 6 series for speed of operation but we are talking about micro seconds of difference if not a whole second.
- Lots of options to tune a picture but the software lags Samsung in options.
- The front camera is pretty good even in low light and this phone is excellent for skyping and video conferencing.

Gallery Application by Moto is nothing but a google plus on your device doing all sorts of magic and fun. Great application.

Overall Positives

- I paid very low for the phone. Let me put it this way, i paid less than 20K for the phone.
- Now for that price the value is 15/10. Greatest purchase for the price paid.
- The phone came with exceptionally strong case, and an additional side protector case and fast charger.
- Best android experience over Nexus as well. The moto tricks are better than stock android. This is the best use of Android of all devices i have ever used.
- Smooth operation and actually very good battery lasting for a day which is comparable to S5(S5 has the best battery life by the way)
- Great camera and great gallery application
- Good build and feels absolutely best on the hands even over the Samsung S5.

Cons

- Don’t compare with Samsung S6 or IPhone 6 - Those two are up market
- Comparable to LG G4 and in spite of slightly better hardware, the software of Moto makes it better. What it lacks is the Ram power.
- Camera is good only in good lights. Poor light means sub average image quality. Your S5 will shoot better and S6 will feel like a DSLR compared to Moto
- Micro sim - I wish they maintain one standard. The newer generation phones are probably taking the micro sim route. To me it was a nuisance to change it again.
- No hard keys for home, back or recent applications.
- Screen dynamics is better than LG G4 but not as good as Samsung or apple.(Blame us for getting used to harsh screens from Samsung and iPhone.) The screen looks very neutral and natural though.

For the price you pay with confirmed future updates from Moto on software, it makes it a no brainer if your price is in that bracket between 25-35K.

S6 Edge Plus is my top phone now followed by note 5 and moto X pure(yeah over the LG G4 i prefer the Moto for its stock android with nice tricks). I rate it as high as that.(Hey i am not buying an apple anyday. So not comparing it with apple)
Old 19th October 2015, 20:12   #22076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Moto X Pure - A short overview. Phones previously used Apple, Samsung, Nexus and even Sony.
How did you manage to get this in 20K? Any pointers?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post while responding

Last edited by ampere : 19th October 2015 at 23:22. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 19th October 2015, 20:22   #22077
BHPian

I'd given in my Mi3 to the Xiaomi service center on 6th October & was told it'd be ready in a week, but they just keep delaying citing vague & whimsical reasons & still haven't repaired it.

I tried contacting Xiaomi India support on E-Mail as well as on Twitter, but none of them is replying.

Does anyone here know where I can enquire as to why the work on my phone is taking so long to repair.

Xiaomi may be selling huge numbers, but they DON'T have the infrastructure to support it even in a city like Bangalore!

I hope I don't regret buying the Mi Pad on Flipkart-BBD!
Old 19th October 2015, 21:16   #22078
Senior - BHPian

One more important thing if you are buying used Nexus or Google based devices.

Make sure you remove the google account and factory reset before taking the device with you. If your factory reset with the sellers google account already in the device, you can only log in with the sellers account to use the fone. Learnt it the hard way. But the seller was kind enough to send me the user name and password for few minutes.

NFC based data and user profile transfer was super fast and all i did was tap the phone with S5. Moto was good as my S5.

Just ensure when you get used devices to always remove all accounts associated with the device, factory reset and test it by logging in with your account.
Old 19th October 2015, 22:15   #22079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No fingerprint scanner, but right now in India, it is more of a gimmick than a necessity.
After a month plus with the iPhone 6 - I can't imagine operating a phone without touchID!

Its ideal like others said - for enforcing security without onerous codes!

plus regardless of what LG says - the front sensor is better than rear - I can just use my left index finger to unlock the phone when I get a notification as opposed to having to pick it up and touch the backside of the phone!
Old 20th October 2015, 19:53   #22080
KRN
BHPian

Folks,

I need some advice. I had ordered the Moto X Style (32GB) during Flipkart's Big billion sale (effective price after gift voucher and credit card discounts was Rs. 29250).

I just read some of the reviews of the Nexus P and it appears to be a wonderful device and better than Moto X Style in terms of camera and fingerprint unlock (http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/20/9...exus-6p-review). I can get it from the US for Rs. 34000.

My priorities are a device with a life of 2 to 3 years, very good camera, fast android updates, premium build and dual SIM.

I know the Nexus 6P is single SIM and this may be a compromise to make. Should I be canceling the Moto X Style order (I have 2 more days left to cancel) and get the Nexus 6P?

Are there any areas where Moto X is better than the 6P barring the dual SIM convenience?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks