Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2015, 00:17   #22111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

A good article on the state of security when it comes to Android phones.
https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/20...ecosystem.html

I am myself an Android user and find it disappointing that majority of end users do not have receive the security updates that they should. Luckily I am rooted and bootloader unlocked - so I can keep updating as long as CM team keep on integrating the patches in their builds. But this does not stretch to most of the other phones in the family which are long out of support from anywhere.

And no, life of phone is not 12 months out here.

Last edited by S_U_N : 23rd October 2015 at 00:18.
Old 23rd October 2015, 01:28   #22112
BHPian

I upgraded my Xperia z3 compact to the marshmallow preview. So far working fab.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1445543909371.jpg
Super fast and the battery life seems decent. Using it as a daily driver for the next couple of days to see what the hoopla is about.
Old 23rd October 2015, 08:55   #22113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Super fast and the battery life seems decent. Using it as a daily driver for the next couple of days to see what the hoopla is about.
Battery life seems decent, meaning it has decreased by a bit? How did you get this preview on the phone? I have the same phone & hopefully the final version of M should feel less cartoonish than L.

Any practical tweaks worth mentioning or is it part of the great Google scam to make people "think" this is the latest & greatest Android ever?
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:02   #22114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Battery life seems decent, meaning it has decreased by a bit? How did you get this preview on the phone? I have the same phone & hopefully the final version of M should feel less cartoonish than L.

Any practical tweaks worth mentioning or is it part of the great Google scam to make people "think" this is the latest & greatest Android ever?
It has the 'Google on Tap' feature; Where you hold the home button on a screen for a few seconds and it scans the page to get you more info on that.

If you have a ticket SMS, you can get info about the movie from related apps like IMDB etc without having to search for it. Worked for me for 'The Martian' movie.

Battery standby seems to have improved a lot. I am not having to charge the phone before I leave office these days.
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:03   #22115
BHPian

Quote:

I am running 6.0, albeit on my Nexus 5, the changes if any are incremental and you will need a microscope to notice them. The doze function does perform admirably well and my 2 year old phone hardly loses 1 percent charge overnight.

The application permissions will be set only when it is used the first time and not during installation, so there is a semblance of control over the access rights for the applications.

The lock screen font has been changed.

In short, not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
It has the.......these days.
Interestingly, the ticket for the movie at Satyam did not show the seat number, so I had to open the sms again!

Last edited by batterylow : 23rd October 2015 at 09:11. Reason: Additional info
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:19   #22116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Root---> flash official Cyanogen 12.1 or Resurrection Remix----> Greenify apps---> Enjoy your phone for years to come
Does this create any problem with Applications? Happy to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The Moto G had this issues for ever after it moved away from KitKat. The phone i personally feel is optimized for Kit kat and runs exceptionally well.
Can say this, the moto G Pure running 5.1.X is pretty darn faster than the bloated samsung.
Agreed on the Kit Kat part. I am running stock Android as well though, still the performance has got progressively worse over the past 2 week.
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:01   #22117
BHPian

Going through the posts , My phone too was lagging a lot and this is what I did to speed up my phone.

Mine is an old Sony Xperia Z.

#1 - Cleaned up space from existing app folders
(Mostly media files from WhatsApp)
#2 - Uninstalled apps that I no longer use
#3 - Moved many apps from the main phone mem to the SD card
(Settings > Apps > Move to SD card)
#4 - Installed Avast Mobile Security App
(Whatever it did, it did speed up the phone)

Might be useful for others.

-Fillmore
Old 23rd October 2015, 10:42   #22118
BHPian

Quote:

Battery life has improved big time. One hour of screen time and only down to 87%. Google now on tap is a scam.

I downloaded the ftf and flashed through flashtool. Only 900 mb so seems pretty light. Also, Sony bloat down to zero. (only album and music apps installed).

Need to run it for the day to get a better sense, before I permanently swap from my S5 that's running Xtrestrolite.
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:38   #22119
BHPian

Re: Aukey micro USB cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I ordered Aukey micro USB cable pack from Aliexpress and got them yesterday. These cables are 20AWG and the charging time has improved by 30 to 35% with the same charger.
Can you please provide model # of the cables or a link? Thanks much!
Old 23rd October 2015, 21:49   #22120
Distinguished - BHPian

A little bit of cash came my way, so first treat is one of those Aukey chargers for the usual charging "station," which is my desk. I'll shift the Xiaomi charger, which is no slouch, but not Quickcharge 2.0 to the bedroom.

I'll be away for a couple of weeks in December, too, so the three-port charger will be very handy to have by the guesthouse bed.
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:42   #22121
Senior - BHPian

Can someone help me with rooting my redmi note 4g? I'm currently running MIUI 7 Developer preview and the version is 5.9.25. None of the techniques in the Youtube Videos worked.
TIA
Old 23rd October 2015, 22:55   #22122
Senior - BHPian

@Thad,

I can give you pointers on different chargers . That many i have collected. The best station i have is

http://www.inateck.com/inateck-uc500...sktop-charger/

Has two super fast charging port and 3 normal charging ports. Turbo charging is truly turbo and gets my fone to full charge in such a quick time.

Not sure if you can source it anywhere but this is the best to use as a station for me.
Old 23rd October 2015, 23:46   #22123
BHPian

Finally managed to get rid of my aging moto g(first gen) with an LG G4 and I am loving it so far, managed to get the 32gb variant for around 29k, gotta love diwali offers and buyback. Anyway , LG UI doesn't appeal to me but everything else is pretty dandy. Camera is the one of the best, if not the best in the market right now. I had the moto x style in mind but then the g4 has the same hardware and 5.5 inch is just under my comfort zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Does this create any problem with Applications? Happy to do this.
Not a single problem. I had a custom rom on my moto g + Xposed modules and man! it was fast. I just got it replaced with the g4 only because of lack of memory , 16gb(12 gb user usable) was sad.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:20   #22124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Not a single problem. I had a custom rom on my moto g + Xposed modules and man! it was fast. I just got it replaced with the g4 only because of lack of memory , 16gb(12 gb user usable) was sad.
That was a good suggestion. Have already flashed it with CM12.1. It is darn fast!
However, I do have a problem - the camera does not seem to support slo mo video now (on the stock it does).
Any ideas?
Old 24th October 2015, 11:27   #22125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
That was a good suggestion. Have already flashed it with CM12.1. It is darn fast!
However, I do have a problem - the camera does not seem to support slo mo video now (on the stock it does).
Any ideas?
Capturing SlowMo video requires specific motorola libraries which haven't been ported to custom ROMs, that means that if you want to record SlowMo you must have a stock or stock based ROM . That's the thing with custom roms, not everything works like the way it does in stock but whatever works , works 3x better!

Look at XDA forums for a list of stable roms and their working features.

Last edited by createrkid : 24th October 2015 at 11:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks