Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:52   #12076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Trust me, you'll be better off than the masses. Best case example is of course Moto Defy!
True that. Samsung s2, s3, s, note, note 2, tabs also have great community support and support from CM and MIUI. So nothing wrong with these from samsung as well.

Better option is to get the nexus. The stock Android experience is definitely different.

Very close to the slimbeam ROM that is avialable for some of the samsung device. Almost feels close to Nexus in operation.
Old 24th October 2012, 03:04   #12077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Exactly the same reason why I am not in a hurry to upgrade to the latest build. I think now Quarx should make the next version as beta. These releases are more stable than the final versions of some other ROMs released by large companies

Sad to hear that you are not happy with ICS on Ray. Wasn't there an update issued after the first ICS release which fixed all the issues?

Yes. JB runs fine on 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM Moto Defy as well. Aren't there any custom JB ROMs that you have as an option?
I don't think anybody can be happy with Sony's ICS update. Maybe very "basic", slow users who don't mind lag and don't use the functions that have bugs. Just head to Sony's forums and see the number of people howling at Sony. And all Sony is doing is maintaining a shameless silence over even very basic bugs. Sony must have a truly low-grade development team. That is unless they are doing it deliberately.

Yes, there was an update after the 1st ICS release. And it did not address most issues. Addressing "All issues" is very far away. Releasing updates with such glaring, basic bugs like LED not working, compass not working, network mode not sticking, lag, etc., etc., itself shows the caliber of its dev team.

Not looked into the custom ROM side yet, but I guess will do that soon. Need time for that. Unless I get rid of the phone before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think I may have posted this earlier also. Look at the manufacturers perspective, a software upgrade gets no revenue, and may even delay the purchase of the next unit (loss of revenue). So we have to go to third party sources CM or MIUI etc. for the updates.
While that could be true, Sony committed an ICS upgrade and that is why many bought those phones. However, the quality of their upgrade is highly disappointing as discussed above. Due to the performance of ICS, many were hoping that they would release a better quality JB and not bother about fixing their shoddy ICS. But now they have denied JB and customers are stuck with a buggy and poor performing ICS. I consider that as dishonoring their commitment.

Makes one really wonder why we choose phones from these bigger brand names with this kind of shoddy support. Why not a significantly cheaper Micromax/Karbonn/etc? They are definitely snappier and probably with much lesser bugs than Sony's updates at least. And their hardware and build quality and probably even cam quality seems to have improved greatly of late. The money saved can also mean a faster phone update itself... so you can worry less about a software upgrade.
Old 24th October 2012, 05:01   #12078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't think anybody can be happy with Sony's ICS update. Maybe very "basic", slow users who don't mind lag and don't use the functions that have bugs. Just head to Sony's forums and see the number of people howling at Sony. And all Sony is doing is maintaining a shameless silence over even very basic bugs. Sony must have a truly low-grade development team. That is unless they are doing it deliberately.

Yes, there was an update after the 1st ICS release. And it did not address most issues. Addressing "All issues" is very far away. Releasing updates with such glaring, basic bugs like LED not working, compass not working, network mode not sticking, lag, etc., etc., itself shows the caliber of its dev team.
I am also disappointed with Sony because of their treatment to 2011 Xperia phones. However I don't face the issues you've mentioned above for my Neo V. Can't comment on the ICS on Ray, but it's pretty solid on Neo V. Only problem is the slow-like-hell dialer app, but I've replaced it with ExDialer since long.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:08   #12079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospool View Post
No, It was last year's news. The LG Canada has refused any updates for 2011 manufactured phones. LG Optimus 2x and Optimus black are not getting ICS updates.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/0...lg-optimus-2x/
I dont know if you have rooted your phone yet, but i was able to root my phone, as well as install Cyanogen Mod on it.

First impressions:
1. Rooting was simple. The following link explains the exact procedure with a video.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1802092

2. CyanogenMod: You dont have to install CyanogenMod. I did because i wanted to try it out. My stock OS was 2.3.4 (GB) and the Cyanogen ROM is 2.3.7 (which is also GB).

The first thing i saw was the speed. With several apps installed, my stock phone was slow. Sometimes, i used to press a button and i used to take seconds to respond. I tried to figure out whether it was a memory leak or whatever, but could not. I could not even schedule a reboot every few hours because the stock phone does not allow you to do that.

However, with CyanogenMod, i have almost 100Meg more free memory. I used to have 50 to 70Meg free earlier, and now i have 200+ meg free. So, to me, going to Cyanogen, the biggest advantage was the memory (which consequently increased the speed and user experience).

Last edited by deep_bang : 24th October 2012 at 10:09.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:40   #12080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76
Anyone facing issue with GPS lock on Google Maps on Galaxy Nexu i9250 after recent update to 6.2 version and found possible solution to it ?
I used "GPS test" to verify that the GPS lock happens in seconds on the phone but with google maps i am facing issues :(
I just tried. Same here. Without the mobile data, the gps alone is not able to capture the location. It's only when you switch on the mobile location it actually picks up the location within a second. Seems to be a flaw.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:26   #12081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Anyone facing issue with GPS lock on Google Maps on Galaxy Nexu i9250 after recent update to 6.2 version and found possible solution to it ?
I used "GPS test" to verify that the GPS lock happens in seconds on the phone but with google maps i am facing issues :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I just tried. Same here. Without the mobile data, the gps alone is not able to capture the location. It's only when you switch on the mobile location it actually picks up the location within a second. Seems to be a flaw.
Though the article seems old, try if this helps http://www.androidcentral.com/psa-ga...heres-easy-fix
Old 24th October 2012, 15:46   #12082
Senior - BHPian

Downloaded the GPS Test App and even under a open clear sky here in Mumbai, the app could view upto 5 Satellites but came down to 2 or 3 with just a slight movement of hand and the indicator stayed on yellow.

Then i started GMaps and still it couldnt pinpoint my location. The moment you click on Mobile location and press 'agree', the very next second your location comes on but this is due to the mobile network.

GPS is not picking up signals for sure. Any other solution?

Tried the link that Dry Ice posted however no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-gps-gnexus-raj.jpg  

Old 24th October 2012, 17:41   #12083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Downloaded the GPS Test App and even under a open clear sky here in Mumbai, the app could view upto 5 Satellites but came down to 2 or 3 with just a slight movement of hand and the indicator stayed on yellow.

Then i started GMaps and still it couldnt pinpoint my location. The moment you click on Mobile location and press 'agree', the very next second your location comes on but this is due to the mobile network.

Install FasterGPS from Google Play. It patches the config file on the OS and set your location so that next time GPS knows the approximate position for searching satellites (As per the App).

Once you install the App it will patch the file and then reboot your mobile. Try out GPS without data connection.

BTW, always try and get a phone which has good dev support. I am using Dell XCD35 (2 years old model) and still using JB 4.1.2

Last edited by neoonwheels : 24th October 2012 at 17:43.
Old 24th October 2012, 18:42   #12084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Install FasterGPS from Google Play. It patches the config file on the OS and set your location so that next time GPS knows the approximate position for searching satellites (As per the App).

Once you install the App it will patch the file and then reboot your mobile. Try out GPS without data connection.

BTW, always try and get a phone which has good dev support. I am using Dell XCD35 (2 years old model) and still using JB 4.1.2
Thanks for the suggestion. However this requires rooting the phone and i do not want to play around with a new phone as i am a noob. Any other apps that can help?
Old 24th October 2012, 22:55   #12085
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to root my Galaxy nexus without losing data, by referring to this method

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1894717

it doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone who's got their G.Nex rooted without having to lose /data?
Old 24th October 2012, 23:58   #12086
Senior - BHPian

This is for Defy+ users on WajkIUI ROM. I came across these addons for WajkIUI 2.9.27
- LauncherPRO
- RTLFix
- FasterROCK
- Gallery3D

It says install from Recovery and wipe cache and Dalvik Cache for each. So when I boot into recovery, I have to select 'Install ZIP from SD Card' in the CUSTOM Recovery?

Or I go to Motorola Stock Recovery and choose 'Install Update from SD Card'?

Also, what is the V6 Supercharger script? Is it applicable for a particular ROM or I can apply it irrespective of whatever ROM I flash?
Old 25th October 2012, 04:27   #12087
BHPian

Quote:

Well. I am not sure if you are facing the same problem that i did, however, let me explain the solution that worked for me.

I was very much frustrated at a very erratic GPS working. Most times, it used to take ages - like 15 to 20 minutes to catch the signal. With GPS test, it sometimes used to pick upto 5 satellites, while most times it used to pick only about 2 to 3. At times, I also saw that starting GPSTest, locking to satellites and then opening my application worked better.

So, finally i triaged the problem to lack of memory. When i saw the memory state on my LG Optimus, it showed free memory (RAM) as something in the order of 40Meg. This was so less that even normal applications worked slowly. So, i used a task killer that kills tasks and free up memory - this solution increased the memory up from 40/50Meg to about 70 to 80 Meg approximately.
After this, GPS used to work flawlessly.

So, in summary, just make sure you have enough memory, and if the free RAM is in the order of 40 to 50 Meg, there is a possibility that lack of RAM is causing the problem.
Old 25th October 2012, 04:36   #12088
Senior - BHPian

Is this the right place for a "What Phone?"question?I am in the market for a phone with a budget of about 15K,stretchable to 16K if its worth it.I have narrowed it down these requirements:

1.Android,ICS.
2.Dual-Core isnt a bad idea,Xperia U is a good buy? Rest all mostly run on 1 ghz Snapdragons.
3.Mostly have a 512 Ram and i think thats enough for me,i dont anticipate super-heavy use.
4.A bit wary of the homegrown brands.Micromax A100 looks enticing.
5.Not too fond of the Tipo range.

Galaxy S Dous,HTC Desire V, Xperia U and Xperia Miro are my current favourites.What do you guys suggest?
Old 25th October 2012, 07:38   #12089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am trying to root my Galaxy nexus without losing data, by referring to this method

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1894717

it doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone who's got their G.Nex rooted without having to lose /data?
I did root my Nex yesterday after sitting on the fence for a week or so.
But, I did it with the fastboot method. Don't have the link handy right now but on a high level I did the following -

Installed drivers as available on xda
Downloaded and saved the superuser.zip at /sdcard partition
Downloaded and saved the clockworkmod recovery in the same folder as fastboot.exe
Started the phone in fastboot mode, then booted into the clockworkmod recovery (did not actually flash it). From there, it was simple - install from .zip - navigated and selected the superuser file from /sdcard.

None of my data was lost.

EDIT:
I referred to these threads -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1626895

Last edited by Dry Ice : 25th October 2012 at 07:45.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:20   #12090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I did root my Nex yesterday after sitting on the fence for a week or so.
But, I did it with the fastboot method. Don't have the link handy right now but on a high level I did the following -
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=123
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1626895
Thank you very much for the links! Never came across that first link. Got to try it. The procedure looks so simple to be true! Everywhere else, you are presented with warnings in big red font that your data will be lost!

Is it that you were lucky not losing the /data or this method won't destroy it at all? I have already taken an adb backup anyway.

EDIT: I tried to boot into cwm via fastboot. Since the bootloader is locked, it failed to boot. How did you get it booted?

Last edited by clevermax : 25th October 2012 at 08:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks