Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 10:32   #12166
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
It has a major shortcoming, that is lack of microsd.

$299 version has just 8 GB, 16 GB version costs $349.
Google is really pushing for their cloud offering with their Nexus devices. It kinda works in the US but not in other parts of the world where Google Music, Movies etc is not available yet.

Still, the 16GB at $349 unlocked is absolute value for money in the US. Remember the outgoing Galaxy Nexus 16GB was also $349 unlocked.

Prepaid data plans are becoming cheaper and cheaper and it doesn't make sense to buy smartphones with contract. My next phone is going to be an unlocked Nexus phone with prepaid unlimited data plan.
Old 30th October 2012, 11:16   #12167
Senior - BHPian

Wow@LG for the stupendous pricing on the Nexus4! $299 unlocked for this monster. Unbelievable. Very good for people like me who do not need all that extra space. Even 349 for 16GB version is very good pricing.

Hope they launch it here in India soon. It can annihilate the SG3. Samsung has had a field time for long now. 'bout time somebody challenged them seriously.
Old 30th October 2012, 12:18   #12168
BHPian

Hi, anyone here bought a Sony Experia J. There are no comprehensive reviews, it was supposedly launched last week and it's already out of stock on Flipkart.

The battery life seems attractive for an Android in this range and this is the prime reason I am looking to buy it. The looks are pleasing too.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:06   #12169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Hi, anyone here bought a Sony Experia J. There are no comprehensive reviews, it was supposedly launched last week and it's already out of stock on Flipkart.

The battery life seems attractive for an Android in this range and this is the prime reason I am looking to buy it. The looks are pleasing too.
Why rely on FK alone? They are anyway a bit on the higher side in pricing. Get it from here. There was a coupon code (I think GREEN2012) which will make the final price to Rs 15,666.

Or if you have AMEX card then use AMEXONLINE for a 15% discount.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:13   #12170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is stored on NAND chip on Motherboard..
Thanks so much for the detailed info. Will sure keep it in mind when I approach the service center.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:45   #12171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Wow@LG for the stupendous pricing on the Nexus4! $299 unlocked for this monster. Unbelievable. Very good for people like me who do not need all that extra space. Even 349 for 16GB version is very good pricing.

Hope they launch it here in India soon. It can annihilate the SG3. Samsung has had a field time for long now. 'bout time somebody challenged them seriously.
I agree. This indeed is a great price for a handset which boasts better processing power than SGS3 - the only reason I probably may not go for this device would be the lack of external SD storage - or even 32 GB onboard.

With a lot of HiDef videos taken from the phone camera and loaded movies and music, 16 GB is going to be really restrictive.

I am guessing Google will do what they did with Nexus 7. Axe the 8 GB version and Launch a 32 GB/expandable SD version within six months of launch.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:59   #12172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I agree. This indeed is a great price for a handset which boasts better processing power than SGS3 - the only reason I probably may not go for this device would be the lack of external SD storage - or even 32 GB onboard.

With a lot of HiDef videos taken from the phone camera and loaded movies and music, 16 GB is going to be really restrictive.

I am guessing Google will do what they did with Nexus 7. Axe the 8 GB version and Launch a 32 GB/expandable SD version within six months of launch.
well thing is world is moving towards the online storage! Networks around the world have gone faster with 4G and all (even HSDPA+ is quite fast at 42Mbps) so theres not that much use of having big on-board storage. Maybe thats why Google went with 8 and 16 GB versions only. Of course this doesnt apply for India as networks here are slow(er) so we might see 32GB version also in future. If you extrapolate, that should cost about $400 (so about 22k) and that is also quite good price for this phone. Even SGS2 costs more than that and is nowhere near Nexus4 in any sense.

I have a 32GB card in my HTC Sensation and its practically empty at less than 4GB being in use. This phone at 16-17k is just P.E.R.F.E.C.T. for me! Eagerly waiting for it to be launched in India. I'll be amongst the first one to buy for sure
Old 30th October 2012, 15:25   #12173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Why rely on FK alone? They are anyway a bit on the higher side in pricing. Get it from here. There was a coupon code (I think GREEN2012) which will make the final price to Rs 15,666.

Or if you have AMEX card then use AMEXONLINE for a 15% discount.
Thanks Nishant, this info was helpful.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:44   #12174
BHPian

Hey guys,

I have just successfully rooted my lil' Explorer.
Now I plan to install link2SD.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to partition my SD card and how to use the app?
Old 30th October 2012, 16:25   #12175
Senior - BHPian

Since a friend wanted to buy my LG P500 from me, I have gone ahead and placed an order for the Micromax A110 from Flipkart. Took some time to decide as I was also looking at Karbonn but finally decided on the A110 due to the larger battery.

Hoping to receive it soon and will update once I receive it.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:45   #12176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
From where did you get it. Flipkart? Please provide a review once you get it. I am also planning to get one.
If I was able to cancel my order, I would have done that so today. Unfortunately I can't. (Homeshop18.com). A 32GB model with even 3G is available now for the same price in US, hopefully it will hit the online stores here too in a while. So, buy that. This 8GB model's price is going to drop significantly i guess.

Quote:
It has a major shortcoming, that is lack of microsd.
$299 version has just 8 GB, 16 GB version costs $349.
Is it a really major shortcoming? It is a drawback but I won't complain at all, if the device is priced that low.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:59   #12177
BHPian

The prices on Nexus7 at 299 and 349 are sure mouth watering. But do not forget that there is also a tax associated with the price, which varies from state to state. When i bought the ipad from a store in the US, there was a tax. I am sure that would apply to this as well.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:03   #12178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
The prices on Nexus7 at 299 and 349 are sure mouth watering. But do not forget that there is also a tax associated with the price, which varies from state to state. When i bought the ipad from a store in the US, there was a tax. I am sure that would apply to this as well.
Even if there's a tax, still it is heck of a deal. (Hope you were referring to Nexus 4)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5048

I don't get it. Who's going to buy S3 for that price anymore?

Last edited by clevermax : 30th October 2012 at 18:07.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:16   #12179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Even if there's a tax, still it is heck of a deal. (Hope you were referring to Nexus 4)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5048

I don't get it. Who's going to buy S3 for that price anymore?
Exactly! Nexus4 @20k (for 16GB version) or SGS3 @33k??? Its a no brainer!

And to top it you get a phone without all the Sammy crapware, and with latest Google software with promise of fastest updates! It has 2GB RAM also!!!

Why would I still wanna buy the Sammy? Cant think of any single reason really.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:17   #12180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Since a friend wanted to buy my LG P500 from me, I have gone ahead and placed an order for the Micromax A110 from Flipkart. Took some time to decide as I was also looking at Karbonn but finally decided on the A110 due to the larger battery.

Hoping to receive it soon and will update once I receive it.
Congratulations. A colleague of mine just got himself the A110 after seeing the performance of my A100. Should be putting up a comparo post tomorrow.

P.s. Which website are you buying it from? Saholic seems to be out of stock, but infibeam did state they were in stock. My friend who after waiting a week got the update from Saholic today, went and bought the phone from a nearby mobile shop. He couldn't trust another retailer to delay the delivery!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks