Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 00:55   #13081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

My Nexus duo. Notice the real estate on the phone's screen with 240 dpi. (Default was 320 dpi)

What do you mean, more real estate?
Also, how to change the dpi, please?
Old 15th December 2012, 00:55   #13082
BHPian

Managed to install Paranoid but forgot to include Gapps, I think.

How can I install the Gmail app from the play store as it shows as installed but doesn't appear on the phone. Also, how can I sync my google contacts?
Old 15th December 2012, 08:23   #13083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Managed to install Paranoid but forgot to include Gapps, I think.

How can I install the Gmail app from the play store as it shows as installed but doesn't appear on the phone. Also, how can I sync my google contacts?
You can download the latest version of gapps and flash it. That's the best option imo. Regarding installing Gmail from play, even if it's shown as installed you can install it again on the device. Syncing of Google contact starts automatically when you add your Google account.
Old 15th December 2012, 10:52   #13084
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
What do you mean, more real estate?
Also, how to change the dpi, please?
Hope the below screenshots (from the same phone!) helps to get the idea. First one is the stock 320 dpi, and the second one is 240 dpi. Everything is smaller and hence screen is able to display more stuff. If 240 is much smaller to your eyes, 280 is a very good setting for Galaxy Nexus, from my experience.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20121214-19.43.06.jpg

How to change?

If your phone is rooted, simply use a root explorer to edit /system/build.prop file. There is a line in it which sets the lcd density -

ro.sf.lcd_density=320

you can change it to 240 or a value you like.

Note that the default density is not 320 for all devices and screens. It varies according to your screen size and ppi.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th December 2012 at 11:00.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:40   #13085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac

You can download the latest version of gapps and flash it. That's the best option imo. Regarding installing Gmail from play, even if it's shown as installed you can install it again on the device. Syncing of Google contact starts automatically when you add your Google account.
Thanks. I managed to flash Gapps and am able to sync my Google Contacts and email.
The interface of the Gmail App looks different on Paranoid Android as compared to the stock version. Can that be fixed?
Old 15th December 2012, 11:55   #13086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I managed to flash Gapps and am able to sync my Google Contacts and email.
The interface of the Gmail App looks different on Paranoid Android as compared to the stock version. Can that be fixed?
That's funny, because Paranoid Android is meant to provide you that different look - phablet and tablet interface on a phone. You can try to get used to it, or just disable phablet/tablet UI style and go back to phone style, if there's an option for that in Paranoid Android's settings.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:34   #13087
BHPian

Quote:
Probably it should be the inverted Gmail. I think the original versions can be found as well.
Old 15th December 2012, 14:04   #13088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Probably it should be the inverted Gmail. I think the original versions can be found as well.
Nop, he said that the 'interface' is different. Paranoid Android provides you with a different interface, like I said in my previous post. Check out their thread on xda or watch Youtube videos of the ROM to see the interface.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:05   #13089
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I forgot my phone at the badminton court; thankfully my friends who were still playing picked it up. But I got to know this a good hour later when I discovered the phone missing from my bag. A few frantic calls and then I got the update from my friend.

More than the phone, I was worried about the data on the phone - my mails/bank details and all other possible personal data is present on the phone. Wanted to know - in case this scenario happens in the near future, is there a way to delete all data remotely?

Blackberry phones have this feature I believe; is there any option on android phones?
Old 15th December 2012, 15:41   #13090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Today I forgot my phone at the badminton court; thankfully my friends who were still playing picked it up. But I got to know this a good hour later when I discovered the phone missing from my bag. A few frantic calls and then I got the update from my friend.

More than the phone, I was worried about the data on the phone - my mails/bank details and all other possible personal data is present on the phone. Wanted to know - in case this scenario happens in the near future, is there a way to delete all data remotely?

Blackberry phones have this feature I believe; is there any option on android phones?
There are lot of anti-theft applications available with remote wipe feature. AVG, Lookout etc. are some of them. Between, if you have corporate email set up on your phone, your office admin also can do this.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:49   #13091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Login to your google ID (that you use in the phone) and remotely install "Plan B" in your phone. You will start getting emails of the phone's location in few minutes time. (If it is still lying somewhere, but not stolen. The app can even turn ON GPS on a rooted phone.)

This worked for me once successfully. Phone was later found behind the window curtain of one of the meeting room in our office.

Forget about ALL anti-theft apps. Apps can't run if the phone is switched off, and turned ON later only to get flashed again.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th December 2012 at 15:53.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:56   #13092
BHPian

Quote:
I believe there are apps for this, but it was many months ago and I don't recall the name now. However, there is another way to make your phone data useless, simply change your mail/netbanking passwords from PC ASAP when you realize the phone is missing. The phone stores the passwords within, so everytime I change some password of mt FB/mail account, I have update the phone as well. I don't however use the phone for netbanking nor do I store card details on it.

EDIT : Clevermax beat me to it. Still, best cure is to mind your phone at all times

Last edited by Ricci : 15th December 2012 at 15:59.
Old 15th December 2012, 21:23   #13093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was worried about the data on the phone - my mails/bank details and all other possible personal data is present on the phone. Wanted to know - in case this scenario happens in the near future, is there a way to delete all data remotely?
Best way to achieve this is it encrypt ALL data on device. This is how BlackBerry does it.

http://support.google.com/android/bi...answer=1663755

With that, even if someone gets the phone he/she will not have access to data without password / pin.
Old 16th December 2012, 10:30   #13094
BHPian

Micromax Launches 4" A68 android at Rs. 6,500.

Quote:
4" IPS display with pixel dimensions of 480 x 800.
Android 4.0.4 (ICS).
Dual-SIM GSM (900, 1800 MHz), Lacks 3G.
1 GHz CPU, 512 MB of RAM.
5 mp fixed focus camera with LED flash.
Bluetooth 3.0 , Wi-FI, Lacks GPS.
2 GB internal storage, MicroSD card slot (Supports up to 32 GB).
Micro-USB 2.0, 3.5 mm jack, FM radio.
1600 mAh battery.
MM A68 vs Lumia 510
Old 16th December 2012, 10:44   #13095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Micromax Launches 4" A68 android at Rs. 6,500.

MM A68 vs Lumia 510
It would have been better, if they added 3g and gps and priced it just below 10k.

Most Viewed