Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2021, 18:54   #30361
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Now I have a Samsung M31. If I long press an app it does show the option to remove and uninstall but the moment I move my finger, it goes away. To uninstall I can still use Play store or Settings-App. But how to remove apps from home screen?
Figured out. long press and once the option comes, take the finger off the screen and then click.
Old 24th March 2021, 21:08   #30362
S15
BANNED

Well, you get what you pay for.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:30   #30363
BHPian

I watched the Oneplus 9 series unveil live, and went to bed determined to buy the 9 Pro when sales start. I woke up to a flurry of reviews on Youtube and GSM Arena, and what a bummer! I had huge expectations about the camera, and what we get? We have to pay more to stop saturating the colors in the photos. What is left is the LTPO display and... and nothing else. And I do not understand why Oneplus but fails with the camera generation after generation.

My Oneplus 7 is only nearing 2 years and I have that itch to get a new one. I was ardently looking at the iPhone 12 after I saw how my wife's 12 mini is performing. But then I was reluctant to have two iPhones in the family. Looking at the 9 Pro, I thought I finally have the answer, but alas not.

I like the S21 Ultra (such a beautiful slab), but would I pay a lakh for a Samsung? NO! Maybe I should consider importing.

Looks like my 7 got another year.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 00:51   #30364
BHPian

Folks, just one more thing to keep in mind about OnePlus. They were renowned for their relatively bloat-free and feature-rich interface, the Oxygen OS. For some users, it's even better than Pixels and One UI from Samsung.

There are reports that OnePlus is going to use Oppo's ColorOS in their phones in China. This is not as polished as the Oxygen OS. Now, to me, OnePlus is struggling with its software division. And that's why their software updates are buggy and delayed. Once they used to be on par with Google, they are now lagging behind the Samsungs and Nokias. And if they are going to use ColorOS in their phones, there won't be anything tangible to differentiate them from Oppo and maybe Vivo. And that would be the final nail in the coffin for OnePlus.

In case anyone is going for OP phone now, please keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
On side note appreciate some suggestions on any other compact phone(<6") in 20-30k range. I mainly need compact form factor and something which would get updates for next 2 years atleast. Usage is mostly browsing chrome/Youtube/linkedin & occasionally clicking pictures. TIA
The good news, The 4A is available for the Kolkata location right now on Flipkart!
And I doubt there is anything like the Pixel 4A in the market. That form factor is very difficult to find right now. Although, the next one, Pixel 5A might be released in June so you may want to wait for that.

Last edited by 7000plusrpm : 26th March 2021 at 00:57.
7000plusrpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 02:47   #30365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post

The good news, The 4A is available for the Kolkata location right now on Flipkart!
And I doubt there is anything like the Pixel 4A in the market. That form factor is very difficult to find right now. Although, the next one, Pixel 5A might be released in June so you may want to wait for that.
Yeah that’s my only hope now. Hope it carries the form factor of 4a at least & not the rumoured 6.2 inches display. Let’s see if it makes it here before my current one dies(highly unlikely)

Am in no hurry as my current stopgap arrangement(iPhone 6s) is going fine. Hope it survives till 5a makes it to India.
Old 26th March 2021, 08:22   #30366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks, just one more thing to keep in mind about OnePlus. They were renowned for their relatively bloat-free and feature-rich interface, the Oxygen OS. For some users, it's even better than Pixels and One UI from Samsung.

There are reports that OnePlus is going to use Oppo's ColorOS in their phones in China. This is not as polished as the Oxygen OS. Now, to me, OnePlus is struggling with its software division. And that's why their software updates are buggy and delayed. Once they used to be on par with Google, they are now lagging behind the Samsungs and Nokias. And if they are going to use ColorOS in their phones, there won't be anything tangible to differentiate them from Oppo and maybe Vivo. And that would be the final nail in the coffin for OnePlus.
They are not doing away with Oxygen OS for their phones outside of China. The only reason to opt for Color OS in China is to conform to the Google Apps ban that China imposes. The Color OS is already tuned to work with the restrictions of the Chinese government.
Everywhere else in the world, the google apps suite works perfectly well and the Oxygen OS will be the default OS.

Also, One plus is still one of the better companies in terms of pushing out software updates. Having said that, expect fewer and delayed updates to older devices. Going forward focus for software is the current device and maybe one generation older. If you have a 2 year old Oneplus device, expect delays.

In the end, OP has a huge task ahead of them convincing people to buy a 900$ OP phone. I dont see them succeeding.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 16:13   #30367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Everywhere else in the world, the google apps suite works perfectly well and the Oxygen OS will be the default OS.

In the end, OP has a huge task ahead of them convincing people to buy a 900$ OP phone. I dont see them succeeding.
I didn't know this. And I hope they won't ditch the Oxygen OS. Apart from the OS, they have nothing to separate them from the sea of Chinese Androids available here. Now, even the price point is against them.

Understandably, they want to capture the high-margin segment of the market. How successful they are going to be based on mostly marketing remains to be seen.
Old 26th March 2021, 21:23   #30368
Senior - BHPian

OnePlus phones are getting way too expensive nowadays. They need to focus on tightening their package and getting rid of unnecessary extras.
They are also digging their own grave by making more than one phone per release and that too twice a year. Instead they should have one flagship killer and one budget phone a year and make them the best they can. This would also help them cut down on material costs and better bulk pricing.

Last edited by Mortis : 26th March 2021 at 21:28.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 23:45   #30369
BHPian

An update to those who had kindly chipped in to assist in my search for a phone after 4.5 years with an OP3.

After reading the specs and reviews for the OP9, I'd decided that the OP 8T 5G would be sufficient for my needs. However, the same concerns about software updates kept cropping up during my research. Given that I usually retain my phones for a few years, software support is critical, as are other attributes like seamless global roaming etc. Therefore doubts remained. I just couldn't convince myself to buy a Samsung flagship.

A sweet deal from HSBC finally clinched it for the iPhone 12 128 GB. I guess I'll have to buy some software to transfer my WhatsApp chats.

Thanks again. The OP3 remains as a backup phone
Old 27th March 2021, 00:37   #30370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I watched the Oneplus 9 series unveil live, and went to bed determined to buy the 9 Pro when sales start. I woke up to a flurry of reviews on Youtube and GSM Arena, and what a bummer! I had huge expectations about the camera, and what we get? We have to pay more to stop saturating the colors in the photos. What is left is the LTPO display and... and nothing else. And I do not understand why Oneplus but fails with the camera generation after generation.
Totally agree. I am still using Oneplus 6T which is more than two years old. I think with the op9pro they have tilted more towards realistic photos rather than adding in the oomph and the pop like apple does. But in the process, they have actually toned down the pop a little too much.
Still, at the 9pro price, you get a camera that can compete with the samsung and apple flagships costing more than a lac.
However, it lacks the telephoto lens which is my main gripe. Instead of adding the useless macro and the other lens, they should have given a usable telephoto lens for the price they are charging. The 8 pro had it, strangely the 8T didn't and now the entire 9 series doesn't!
I believe the op 8pro is the best op phone you can buy right now. Since, you are using a op from 2 years, you know these phones don't slow down. The 8 pro has really good camera so much so that few very popular & respected youtubers use the 8 pro as their daily phone. It is the android i would have bought if I hadn't planned to move to ios soon.

See the below video, it shows the realism vs pop part i am talking about -

Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 11:13   #30371
BHPian

Samsung S20 FE 5G with Snapdragon processor launching by month end. Expected price to be around 50K or slightly under.
vvrchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 10:09   #30372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Samsung S20 FE 5G with Snapdragon processor launching by month end. Expected price to be around 50K or slightly under.
Here is the official confirmation from Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-smartselect_20210328100829_twitter.jpg  

Old 29th March 2021, 03:01   #30373
BHPian

I bought Samsung Galaxy M12 (6GB, 128 GB version). Initial views are that phone is quite lengthy in size. Camera is satisfactory for the price point it is sold at. Battery backup is good.

I mainly bought it for latest software that it has - Android 11 - One UI 3.1.

Also, surprised to see that phone is bulky to hold and little heavier than say Galaxy A50.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 21:20   #30374
BHPian

A question: Is call recording disabled in modern android phones? How about the latest Chinese phones like OnePlus 9, MI 10/11 and Realme 8? How about the Pixels and the Samsungs?
Old 30th March 2021, 21:29   #30375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
How about the Pixels and the Samsungs?
Works for Samsungs from about 30k budget I think. In my Note 10 lite, it is built into the call UI.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed