Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 17:05   #30301
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Gave the phone to the service centre. They called and said the motherboard needs to be replaced and will cost Rs 6.5k. Is it worth repairing or better to replace the phone? I paid Rs 15k for it during Jan'20.
Same thing happened with my M20. Replaced the motherboard. But then it got very very laggy. Long story short I exchanged it for a Samsung S20 Plus during a sale. Changing the motherboard did not work out me. And to think I paid around 7.2k for it. Samsung authorized service centres seem to be pushing this board replacement thing very actively.
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 17:05   #30302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gave the phone to the service centre. They called and said the motherboard needs to be replaced and will cost Rs 6.5k. Is it worth repairing or better to replace the phone? I paid Rs 15k for it during Jan'20.
Very weird for the motherboard to knock off in such a short period. I’d say repair it, assuming the phone worked fine for your day to day needs.

Edit : looking at Kraken’s reply above makes it a bit dicey though.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 27th February 2021 at 17:07.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:08   #30303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Call it a coincidence, but the same model that a family member owns and had purchased at about the same time as yours is behaving strangely. It restarts at random and at times gets struck in the process. We ascribed it to rough handling by the children of the house, but looking at your experience, I am starting to think that there might be something more to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Same thing happened with my M20. Replaced the motherboard. But then it got very very laggy.
We plan on doing a factory reset first; then, go for an OS reinstall at a neighborhood repair shop. Good if it works. Else, time to junk it.

On a different note, I was leaning towards Samsung F62 as a replacement for my Redmi Note 7. Time to take a raincheck, it seems.

Last edited by dailydriver : 27th February 2021 at 19:14.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:36   #30304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Call it a coincidence, but the same model that a family member owns and had purchased at about the same time as yours is behaving strangely. It restarts at random and at times gets struck in the process.
Mine was restarting automatically from time to time for the past five-six months. I attributed it to some software glitch which will be solved by updates. It will restart about two to three times every day, for no particular reason. Then suddenly conked out last evening.

We had booked dinner through Swiggy, paid by credit card and completed the transaction through an OTP to the mobile. It had about 60% power then. Dinner arrived in half an hour, we ate it and then I went to make a call. The phone was dead.

I think I will buy a new phone. But probably not Samsung. Phone was exactly thirteen months old. Money down the drain. Better alert your family member to be prepared.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 06:22   #30305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hey guys, whenever I connect my phone to a new car's HU via Android Auto, the voice typing on my phone stops working.
Not a solution to your original problem, but another alternative. If you haven't, please try the Google Recorder app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....apps.recorder

Neat: This app has the capability to export the transcript of your recording to google docs.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd March 2021 at 06:23.
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:40   #30306
BHPian

My LG G7's battery is > 2 years old now. According to the service menu, I've lost about 10% of its life over this time. According to an app, I've lost 15% of the life.

Do you guys think the battery needs a replacement yet?
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:26   #30307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I visited the Samsung forum to complain about this, and saw a lot of posts complaining about similar issues with these M series phones, but not restricted to them. Then I visited their website, and saw a link which said "Talk to our CEO". When clicked, it opened an email link. I shot off a polite mail describing the issue. Seems the email went to Korea!

The next day I got an email reply and a call from their centre somewhere near Delhi. The caller listened patiently and then asked what I expected from Samsung. I agreed the warranty is over, but by just a month and is a mere technicality. So I wanted them to give me some relief on the repair or better still give me some discount coupon and I will buy a new phone, that I was not very keen on repairing it. She listened patiently and said she will escalate to her higher ups and get back to me.

The next day my case was transferred to their office in Chennai and another person contacted me. I narrated the whole story and my requirements to her again. She has taken the details of the service centre (a franchise) and my booking number yesterday. Said she will talk to the service people, then to her bosses and give me a solution either today or tomorrow, and not to commit anything to the service people if they called in the meantime.

I will wait. I have thrown a stone! If a mango falls, it will be very nice! Else, it will be just a stone. I was ready to discard the phone anyway.
Gansan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:56   #30308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
My LG G7's battery is > 2 years old now. According to the service menu, I've lost about 10% of its life over this time. According to an app, I've lost 15% of the life.

Do you guys think the battery needs a replacement yet?
It is entirely up to you. Whilst sufficient capacity remains for your use, it's enough.

If a phone charge lasts morning to night I can live with that, however much more was there when new.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:06   #30309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will wait. I have thrown a stone! If a mango falls, it will be very nice! Else, it will be just a stone. I was ready to discard the phone anyway.
They have offered to replace the part free of cost, I have to pay for GST and labour charges. I have accepted. This is an excerpt form the email I received:

"Keeping customer satisfaction in mind, we are offering a very cost effective repair for your product. The total repair cost for your product is Rs.7764/- (Repair cost).

Thus, to conclude, we would be able to cater your request for discounted cost repair.

Discount: Rs.6229/-; Customer Payment: Rs.1535/-; Total Repair Cost: Rs.7764/-

Nevertheless, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback."

Salute, Samsung; you are very fair!

Last edited by Gansan : 4th March 2021 at 14:08.
Gansan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 23:09   #30310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If a phone charge lasts morning to night I can live with that, however much more was there when new.
Exactly my thoughts. My 2015 model Moto G3 is still working and I have it as a back up phone. I was quite happy with the phone. The battery lasts about 9 hours now for light usage. But it began to shut off when around 30% power and I will have to restart. Will again shut off around 25% and so on. I took it to the service centre during Jan'20 to replace the battery. They had the battery, but pointed out a small crack at the top left of the screen and explained they will have to remove the display to access and replace the old battery, during which process there is a 50% chance of the display breaking. So I took it back and bought the Samsung which went on the blink in exactly one year.

I still use the phone for watching music videos through Wifi before sleeping at night. The sound quality is surprisingly good with headphones. I had removed the sim cards earlier, but put them back in when the Samsung went to the service center.
Old 6th March 2021, 22:56   #30311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have offered to replace the part free of cost, I have to pay for GST and labour charges. I have accepted.
I have received the phone back after part replacement. I paid Rs 1535 towards GST and labour as agreed. I got a feedback call from the people who contacted me from Samsung earlier. I told right now the phone is snappy and good, and I will have to check it for at least a week. They told me to contact back in case there is any problem, before taking it to the service center.

But if I find any issues, I intend to immediately exchange the phone and buy a new one. No more repairs.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 21:31   #30312
BHPian

My son (16 yo) dropped his Samsung M30 in a bucket of water. Is there any other phone that provides equivalent user experience under 12k to tide him over for one more year till he joins college? I do not feel like getting him anything more expensive that may get dunked again. I have a spare iphone 5s that i dug out but he is not too thrilled about it .
Old 7th March 2021, 22:15   #30313
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My son (16 yo) dropped his Samsung M30 in a bucket of water. Is there any other phone that provides equivalent user experience under 12k to tide him over for one more year till he joins college? I do not feel like getting him anything more expensive that may get dunked again. I have a spare iphone 5s that i dug out but he is not too thrilled about it .
Redmi Note 10 if you can wait till 16th March.
Old 7th March 2021, 23:10   #30314
Senior - BHPian

Any one recently purchased a phone in India and used in US, either on T mobile or AT&T, basically GSM bands.

I am unable to find a budget android that can work in the US. Pixel of course works being global phone and all the expensive Samsungs also are compatible but they are too expensive. The Older budget Redmis worked great but the recent ones only have India specific bands and no more compatible. Any Motorola?

Maybe someone with personal experience can chime in. Thanks in advance.
Old 8th March 2021, 04:33   #30315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My son (16 yo) dropped his Samsung M30 in a bucket of water. Is there any other phone that provides equivalent user experience under 12k to tide him over for one more year till he joins college?
POCO M3 is a VFM choice at this price. The front camera is average, but that is one aberration in an otherwise good phone. Priced 11k for the 6-64 GB version; available on Flipkart.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks