Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 21:52   #30376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A question: Is call recording disabled in modern android phones? How about the latest Chinese phones like OnePlus 9, MI 10/11 and Realme 8? How about the Pixels and the Samsungs?
Pixel doesn't have call recording option, as far as I know.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 22:55   #30377
BHPian

Quote:
A question: Is call recording disabled in modern android phones? How about the latest Chinese phones like OnePlus 9, MI 10/11 and Realme 8? How about the Pixels and the Samsungs?
Realme,One plus and MI all offer call recorder
I'm not sure about Samsung or Pixel
911CarerraS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 08:53   #30378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Asus's factory-installed dialler could record calls, but once I switched to Google dialler that stopped. Since Google dialler offers junk/spam screening I voted to retain it rather than revert, though (such screening is a more pressing need for me).

Since the Google dialler is the one ported from Pixel, I expect the experience is the same.

Last edited by binand : 31st March 2021 at 08:54.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:34   #30379
BANNED

I need to get a new phone for my wife. Is must be a Samsung, high end at that. I have a top end S20. I am looking at about 30-40k. Any suggestions.
Old 31st March 2021, 14:45   #30380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I need to get a new phone for my wife. Is must be a Samsung, high end at that. I have a top end S20. I am looking at about 30-40k. Any suggestions.
At that price point the recently launched A72 comes to mind. Has a snapdragon processor, decent camera setup as well based on reviews. Few people (you tube reviewers) have mentioned that it is overpriced for the specifications it offers so check that. After card discounts it is available for around 31.2K on Samsung website (8 GB / 256 GB). If you are willing to go above 40K then S20FE 4G variant at around 43K and recently launched 5G variant (around 48K I think after card discounts) are an option as well
Old 31st March 2021, 19:05   #30381
BHPian

Recent Mi mobiles including some Redmi and Poco mobiles are coming with Google Dialler and Google Messages apps. Earlier they used to come with Mi dialler app into which call recording is built-in with option to auto call record.

The new Google dialler too has call recording, but is not auto call record. One has to enable it for each call after the call is activated(other party takes the call). Also when enabled for each call, it gives a message that the call is being recorded which is audible to both parties.

I recently checked my friends Oneplus 8T and it too has Google dialler with manual call recording option same as described above.

Samsung mobiles have automatic call recording facity which can be enabled in call settings. But this doesn't work when VoWiFi is enabled. Works only on Volte (Not VoWiFi / WiFi calling). Not sure if it's there on all Samsung mobiles or mid to high end mobiles only.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 31st March 2021 at 19:07.
Old 31st March 2021, 19:08   #30382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
You may consider S20 FE 5G launched today for 47999 with 8gb /128gb configuration and Snapdragon 865 processor.
Old 1st April 2021, 01:23   #30383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
You may consider S20 FE 5G launched today for 47999 with 8gb /128gb configuration and Snapdragon 865 processor.
I think the Exynos S20FE is available for 36k or something like that. Is it really worth it to put 12k more for Snapdragon variant? Any other changes that make it worth it?
Old 1st April 2021, 11:50   #30384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I think the Exynos S20FE is available for 36k or something like that. Is it really worth it to put 12k more for Snapdragon variant? Any other changes that make it worth it?
I don't know that its available for 36K. I saw it around 44K in Amazon and Samsung Shop yesterday. It purely depends on usage pattern.

If its available under 40K and it's for casual usage, that's a better option. Since we used S20 earlier, I thought Snapdragon variant would be a better option among the two.
Old 1st April 2021, 15:21   #30385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
My Asus's factory-installed dialler could record calls, but once I switched to Google dialler that stopped. Since Google dialler offers junk/spam screening I voted to retain it rather than revert, though (such screening is a more pressing need for me).

Since the Google dialler is the one ported from Pixel, I expect the experience is the same.
Asus ROG 3 here. Native dialer with call filtering and call recording are working fine for me. In fact, Asus does not let me make Google phone app/dialer as the default one.

Last edited by vinu_h : 1st April 2021 at 15:24.
Old 1st April 2021, 16:06   #30386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I don't know that its available for 36K. I saw it around 44K in Amazon and Samsung Shop yesterday. It purely depends on usage pattern.

If its available under 40K and it's for casual usage, that's a better option. Since we used S20 earlier, I thought Snapdragon variant would be a better option among the two.
Yes, it's available for 36k on Amazon.
You can select the option "Without Offers"

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B086KF5SFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_D1D9D39QPF63M3QQSBDZ?p sc=1

That's why I don't quite get the logic of the same phone for 12k more!
Old 1st April 2021, 16:11   #30387
Senior - BHPian

I've been a Note 8 user for nearly 3 years now and its time for an upgrade preferably a Samsung phone as i'm used to the UI. I usually buy a flagship 6 months after launch when there are good discounts and the price seems sensible. I bought my Note 8 nearly a year after launch and its been good so far except for the downgrade post 2 years.

However, with the Note series almost certainly being discontinued, I thought of going for a smaller phone and visited a store to check out the S21 series. S21 ultra was the best, but a tad bit overpriced and S21+ seemed like the perfect compromise once the prices comedown.

Meanwhile Samsung launched the S20FE with Snapdragon 865 at 48k recently. I'm now wondering if I should just get it instead of a discounted S21+. The misses being the plastic back against glass on the premium phones, optical fingerprint scanner v/s ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, a few cameras lesser and a battery smaller by 300mah. I do get the far superior Snapdragon if I go with the S20FE.

I can push the upgrade by 2 months max but not beyond that. Should I buy the FE or wait for the S21+ ? Your thoughts please.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st April 2021 at 16:13.
Old 1st April 2021, 20:00   #30388
Team-BHP Support

OnePlus seem to have withdrawn the Android 11 stable update for the 7T/Pro released last week.

This comes after them having to release incremental hot-fixes for both the Nord and 8 Series phones because the original stable release for each had several bugs and usability issues.

Going downhill.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 20:26   #30389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
OnePlus seem to have withdrawn the Android 11 stable update for the 7T/Pro released last week.

This comes after them having to release incremental hot-fixes for both the Nord and 8 Series phones because the original stable release for each had several bugs and usability issues.

Going downhill.
My mom owns a one plus 7t and the phone had become almost unusable after that update. Instagram and whatsapp both were crashing repeatedly , even the clock app wasn't functioning well
I'm glad they rolled it back.
Old 2nd April 2021, 19:54   #30390
Team-BHP Support

I've been using a Pixel 2 XL for more than 3 years now. I am thinking of changing soon but it's impossible to find a decent android under 50K with stock android, good camera, IP68 and snapdragon processor.

The only option was the OnePlus 9 Pro at 61K (SBI offer). Oneplus gives everything but 60K for a Oneplus android phone which will be updated in 6months is not very convincing. More over reviews seem to indicate the HAsselblad branding is more for show than go.

The Pixel 5 not being available here and being a mid ranger is not a choice.

Now I just saw the news on Samsung S20 FE 5G which on paper checks all my boxes barring one. The Samsung One UI 3.1. Coming from a Pixel with stock android how irritating is the Samsung bloatware and redundant apps vs the google version.

I love the clean Pixel OS and am deeply integrated into all Google apps like Onedrive, google dialer with google directory integration, google photos, google news feed, tasks (keep) and use google assistant. Really not sure if Samsung OS will be tolerable for me.

The only other option is to abandon Android and jump to iOS.

Most Viewed