Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 14:18   #30406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The major problem with Samsung phones is the way they age. iPhone 7 is even selling now, does any one remember how Galaxy S7 even look? With in one year they kind of become obsolete and there is a steep depreciation in value.
Not really true. If you get a top tier Samsung, like a S20 /S21/ Note series, they will easily last you 3 plus years.

I know so many who are still using their S10's as their main phone. I myself have a Note 10 plus and see no reason to upgrade. In-fact even my S9+ works flawlessly but I ended up cracking the screen and the replacement is expensive.

But the catch is, it needs to be a flagship Samsung phone. Their mid rangers age very badly and are practically unusable after a year/ year and a half.

Last edited by bigron : 4th April 2021 at 14:19.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 14:54   #30407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Folks. I am in need of a tab for my father (75+ years old). His eye sight and hearing is not as great as it used to be. But he has a reasonably good experience using mi note phone.

Which tablet is a good one for him? Any thoughts please?
Bought Samsung A7 for my father-in-law when it launched 7-8 months back. His primary requirement was to keep a tab on stock market via couple of apps he uses, and browsing on YouTube. The tab has decent sound output, and well, you can always adjust the font size on any android device to make content more readable. But if you have a decent budget, and can invest about 35K, get the iPad 128gb. The screen is amazing. The sound too. Your father may require some to get used to iOS but it's just quite intuitive to use.
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 15:17   #30408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
If you use Samsung Pay, you will not go to Google Pay. Only limited cards can be added to Google Pay while almost any card can be used to Samsung Pay.
Sorry for noob question. Where can I use Samsung pay? Gpay works in most stores and even a small vegetable shop guy accepts Gpay. How does Samsung Pay work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Why is that an issue? You can put all of them in one folder and forget. Any app can be made to function as default so there is no reason to revisit them.
I dont know about the current OneUI and Samsung apps, but the problem would be all the Samsung apps would keep bloating as they would keep updating themselves.

Also is it true that Samsung pushes new bloat apps with every OneUI update? I read some apps getting installed as part of OneUI update?

Quote:
Motorola has stock android and it's fantastic.

Not really. It's not even the same platform But if you are okay with the closed suffocating functioning of the platform, no reason not to jump ship.
Well thats the reason I have held onto Android for so long and using Pixel 2XL for 3+ years now. Its the first time I crossed 3 years. Usually I would change at 2 years on the dot.

I am also a Mac and iPad user so iOS is not a paradigm shift for me. I just loved the Google integration in Pixel. Examples:

1. The Gboard passwords are synced from chrome in browser to the keyboard in Android. So sign in of apps just uses the Chrome password keeper.
2. Android location services will tell you which places you visited and on Google maps will show when you visited last. You don't even need to have to use Gmaps navigation when you visited that place.
3. All my smart home devices I can control just by pressing the power button which shows a virtual switchboard for all my smart lights.
4. Background songs. So many times I can't remember a song, but the phone display shows whats playing in a restaurant or on radio.
5. Google dialer. If you want to call a restaurant, no need of google search. Just enter the restaurant name on the phone dialer using the keypad and Google will show you the contact as listed in Google maps directory and you can place a call. Similarly if you receive a call from a business entity, Google shows the name on the incoming call screen. Like Truecaller but based on Google maps directory listing.

These are like top 5. Like this there are many more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I like iPhone 12 specially the HW finesse and slow ageing of apple phones. Had almost made my mind to buy it. Again the horror of becoming a slave to a single ecosystem, changed my mind. Just to transfer a file or photo, you have to run around.

Not sure how iPhone is a progression or upgrade to some one coming from a pixel world where everything is user centered. You can do what you want. No barriers or ecosystems.

All the Samsung apps can either be uninstalled or disabled. So that way I don't see any problem. The major problem with Samsung phones is the way they age. iPhone 7 is even selling now, does any one remember how Galaxy S7 even look? With in one year they kind of become obsolete and there is a steep depreciation in value.
The only reason I am looking at S20 FE 5G is because unlike the flagship S21, this S20 FE 5G one uses Snapdragon 7nM chipset which is still top tier from 2020.

Snapdragon doesnt slow down as much.

But as you said, Samsung loses resale and becomes obsolete faster than Apple. Oneplus makes the phone obsolete in 6 months with the T series.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 16:41   #30409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sorry for noob question. Where can I use Samsung pay? Gpay works in most stores and even a small vegetable shop guy accepts Gpay. How does Samsung Pay work?..
One can add credit/debit cards to Google Pay and Samsung Pay and use the mobile for payments instead of physical card. As of now Google allows to add only limited no of credit/debit cards while Samsung allows most of them. Google Pay started allowing cards only recently, under a year or so, while in Samsung Pay, it's there since few years. This is in addition to payments/transfers via bank accounts.

Google Pay with cards works on NFC only while Samsung Pay works on NFC only(S21 Series onwards) and NFC/MST based on machine type (until mobiles before S21 Series).

Last edited by vvrchandra : 4th April 2021 at 16:42.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 18:13   #30410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did do some Youtubing on OneUI 3.0/3.1 and it does look better than before but the biggest growse of having unnecessary apps which are basically Samsung version of google apps is still there.

The Samsung phones still have Samsung app store, Samsung browser, Samsung gallery, Samsung pay app, Samsung Bixby assistant, Samsung file explorer etc......And I don't think these can be uninstalled as well.
Was in the similar situation when I moved to Samsung from a history of Nexus or Oneplus devices. Been using a Note 10 Lite for 1+ years now and One UI is pretty nice. All Samsung apps you listed can be put into a folder and ignored. They won't keep showing up. Samsung pay has been useful though for card payments, especially the MST feature.

Quote:

I dont know about the current OneUI and Samsung apps, but the problem would be all the Samsung apps would keep bloating as they would keep updating themselves.

Also is it true that Samsung pushes new bloat apps with every OneUI update? I read some apps getting installed as part of OneUI update?

No bloat seen on One UI in over a year of usage. Prompt security updates every month and no bloat on my phone, however wife's M21 did get some bloat with the major OS updates. Looks like they do this for the entry level phones.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th April 2021 at 18:15.
Old 4th April 2021, 18:20   #30411
Team-BHP Support

Vid, my 2 paisa.

I am using a S10 lite with SD since past few months. I just hate the bloat on other platforms, but Samsung one is intuitive, its nice. Post Android 11 & UI 3.0 update, I actually like it. Haven't logged in to any Samsung account and it stays that way.

My experience with G Pay was not good. The customer care couldn't locate my [failed] transaction nor could make a refund. Samsung Pay is fast & feels secure. If you can stretch till Fold 2, just get it. A good friend has both, the Fold 2 and 12 Pro Max and he find the Fold 2 better in almost all aspects as per him. Been hearing the new Exynos has lessened the gap with SD's. The S21 Ultra with all benefits is something around 88K.

And to be honest, whatever honest reviews I saw, even the Hasselbad association has not helped One Plus's camera to come face to face with a Samsung or an iPhone.

Possible to get a Sony Xperia 1 II from US?

Last edited by Sheel : 4th April 2021 at 18:22.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 19:33   #30412
BHPian

I am looking to buy Realme Buds Air from Flipkart for My Dad!
Is anybody using them? How's the battery and durability?
I would appreciate your valuable feedback
Thank you
Old 4th April 2021, 19:41   #30413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The easiest way to avoid this and ads in the Samsung UI is to never sign up for a Samsung account, just use your Google Account when setting up your phone and you'll be fine.

A friend recently picked up the Fold 2 and has no issues with ads or bloatware as they're all disabled and he hasn't signed up for a Samsung Account.

I moved from a Nexus 5 to a Note 8 in June 2018 and its been good so far. The phone does slow down around the 2 yr mark but its a easy fix where you can enable 'auto restarts' daily within the UI, the phone then restarts at a set time say 6am and feels snappy through the day, each day. The screen quality, build and the feature rich UI is quite good actually.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 21:55   #30414
Senior - BHPian

I know this is OT here, but I can't find a relevant thread. Apologies in advance.

I need to buy a feature phone for my mother to replace her ancient Nokia something. Large display, large tactile keys, good volume both in ear and speakers are primary requirements. Dual SIM is not needed but won't reject a model just because it is one. Should work with BSNL. Budget is not really a constraint, but I need one that is quickly acquirable (like 2 day delivery from Amazon / available at most shops locally). Nokia is a comfort brand.

Suggestions? She's nearly 80 and finds it very tough to handle touchscreens.
Old 4th April 2021, 23:11   #30415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I know this is OT here, but I can't find a relevant thread. Apologies in advance.

I need to buy a feature phone for my mother to replace her ancient Nokia something. Large display, large tactile keys, good volume both in ear and speakers are primary requirements. Dual SIM is not needed but won't reject a model just because it is one. Should work with BSNL. Budget is not really a constraint, but I need one that is quickly acquirable (like 2 day delivery from Amazon / available at most shops locally). Nokia is a comfort brand.

Suggestions? She's nearly 80 and finds it very tough to handle touchscreens.
Bought Nokia 3310 for my maid. It's a very cool device with great battery backup. Paid 3200 at a brick and mortar stores. Keys are slightly smaller. Brother uses Nokia 150 dual sim and is very happy with it. These phones are easily available at local stores. Keys are spaced out really well. But the keys on Nokia 125 and 150 (2020 models) look better.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 11:01   #30416
BHPian

Just read in the news that LG is shutting down its Mobile Phone business.

Shutdown is expected to be completed by July 31 though mobile stocks will still be available for some models.

Software updates will continue for some more time.

http://lgnewsroom.com/2021/04/lg-to-...ource=inshorts

Last edited by Safety is Param : 5th April 2021 at 11:02.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 19:49   #30417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Yes, it's available for 36k on Amazon.
You can select the option "Without Offers"

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B086KF5SFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_D1D9D39QPF63M3QQSBDZ?p sc=1

That's why I don't quite get the logic of the same phone for 12k more!
There might be a rationale for this price difference after all. It has been reported that Samsung is discontinuing the production of S20 FE 4G (Exynos variant) and replacing it with S20 FE 4G (Snapdragon 865+variant). Read about this couple of days back online and today there was a tweet from Ice Universe as well. If that is indeed the case then maybe Samsung wants to get rid of existing S20 FE 4G (Exynos) stock and hence the reduction in prices to clear the inventory. Last year also S20+ saw a substantial price cut and one of the staff at Croma mentioned the reason as it being discontinued soon.

While everyone gave very good reviews for the S20 FE 5G variant, the Exynos variant did not get a lot of good feedback. It had battery issues along with heating up under heavy usage (as reported by YouTubers and online articles). So maybe Samsung is now switching from Exynos to Snapdragon. However what confuses me is that shouldn't Samsung focus on S21 FE now instead of relaunching S20 FE 4G (Snapdragon version)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
S21 ultra was the best, but a tad bit overpriced and S21+ seemed like the perfect compromise once the prices comedown.

Meanwhile Samsung launched the S20FE with Snapdragon 865 at 48k recently. I'm now wondering if I should just get it instead of a discounted S21+. The misses being the plastic back against glass on the premium phones, optical fingerprint scanner v/s ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, a few cameras lesser and a battery smaller by 300mah. I do get the far superior Snapdragon if I go with the S20FE.
If the things you loose out on by opting for an S20FE are not that important in your priority/usage list then I would say go with the S20FE. Personally I would favour S20FE 5G over S20+ because of the lower price and the Snapdragon processor. While I am not exactly sure of the difference between the Exynos and equivalent SD processor in day to day usage, everyone seems to suggest that as of now Snapdragon is better than Exynos when it comes to the S series. If you could, maybe visit a nearby showroom and play around with both the phones to see which one makes more sense for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Hello everyone

I am looking to upgrade from my Samsung M30s (keeping it as a backup) to a new model which is below 25k. Here are my requirements:

+ Good AMOLED Screen (have been spoilt with one my M30s)
+ Uncluttered UI with no Ads
+ Good battery life (with heavy usage, should have at least 30% available at EOD)
+ Reasonably clear and loud speakers
+ Good video recording in indoor lighting (using it as a secondary portable device for Youtube videos after my DSLR), also should have good audio recording (less wind noise should be captured, reasonably high bitrate etc.)
Do take a look at newly launched Samsung A52 as well. For INR 22,183 it sounds like a good upgrade over M30S. Am not very sure about battery usage (since you mentioned you are a heavy user) but for moderate use it does last the day easily as is mentioned by various reviewers. Supports fast charging (25W) but comes out of the box with a 15W charger. Has stereo speakers.

Also, if you are able to stretch your budget by another 6.2 K then you could get recently launched A72 for INR ₹31678. Has a bigger battery as compared to A72, comes with a 25W charger in the box and has a better set of cameras over A52

Regards,
S

Last edited by sukhoi : 6th April 2021 at 19:55. Reason: Added A72 as an option.
sukhoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 20:19   #30418
BHPian

Re: Stock Android Device?

Guys!
I am in the market for a device with following characteristics.
1. Stock Android
2. Stereo Speakers
3. OIS Camera
4. AMOLED Display

Currently, been using Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' for almost 2.5 years with custom ROM 'Havoc'.

I have a budget of around INR 30K.

Please advise!
Old 7th April 2021, 20:45   #30419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
1. Stock Android
2. Stereo Speakers
3. OIS Camera
4. AMOLED Display

Currently, been using Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' for almost 2.5 years with custom ROM 'Havoc'.

Please advise!
Will miss out on stock android but galaxy a52/72 meet the rest. Can wait for the 5g version too.

I too have a similar budget but still not quite sure what my requirements are. Currently leaning towards the oppo Reno 5 pro 5G
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 21:10   #30420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
1. Stock Android
2. Stereo Speakers
3. OIS Camera
4. AMOLED Display

Please advise!
The Pixel 4a meets all your requirements perfectly. It is 32k which is slightly over your budget, but it is a great camera phone with as clean a software experience you can get on Android.
The other option if you are ok with OxygenOS is the OnePlus Nord. It has a better processor, display and an ultrawide camera compared to the Pixel. The overall camera quality however is pretty mediocre.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks