Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 17:05   #29656
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post

Another major downside of Redmi phones is the advertisements built into MIUI. They are everywhere on the phone and over time they have become more and more vulgar.
If you are buying for someone not too smartphone savvy, avoid the Redmi. People end up clicking on the ads and installing apps and possibly even compromising privacy. I did my best to block ads on this phone but I think they somehow get through. (It's probably something you need to keep doing on a continuous basis to block them, but I'd rather not spend my time figuring those out). So, I suggest you avoid the Redmi line.The Nokia have Android One which is a lot better in this regard.
Old 14th March 2020, 19:44   #29657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Need 2 similar mobiles. One for my mom and one for mother in law. Both will only use it for calling, occasional whatsapp etc. Budget is around 7k each. Have selected Redmi 8A dual. Any better option in this range or this is the best one ?
Avoid Redmi at all cost.
I, recently bought 2 Nokia 4.2 for parents and it looks great, solid build. Highly recommended
Old 15th March 2020, 09:02   #29658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
The Nokia have Android One which is a lot better in this regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I, recently bought 2 Nokia 4.2 for parents and it looks great, solid build. Highly recommended
Two of my close relatives got Nokia 6.1+ ~6 months ago and the phone has lag / freeze and it gets terrible to operate, I really do not know why.

In comparison there is a Xiaomi A2 device in my home, which also has android one is running flawless.
Old 15th March 2020, 09:16   #29659
Senior - BHPian

My sister uses a Nokia 5.1 plus as her daily driver for the last two years. It is very smooth and its 3060 mah battery exhibits comparable performance to my Samsung's 4500 mah. Could be because of the pure android version it runs on. Xiaomi phones even though part of android one program has ads built in to every screen. My choice these days is to go for a Nokia if you want pure android experience and go for a Samsung if you like the additional productivity software on top of android. Also the SAR values of Samsung and Nokia are consistently lower than all these chinese brands.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th March 2020 at 09:18.
Old 15th March 2020, 15:17   #29660
BHPian

Question to OnePlus 7T users.

What kind of battery life are you getting? And are you using it on 90Hz or 60Hz?
Old 15th March 2020, 16:16   #29661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What kind of battery life are you getting? And are you using it on 90Hz or 60Hz?

90 hz. min 1.5 days
I never got this with any device. iPhone XR was 1 day at best.

The battery is definitely exceptional.
Old 15th March 2020, 16:27   #29662
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone eyeing a One Plus 7T should also have a good look at the Real Me X2 Pro - Special Edition.

I use it with Nova Launcher.

Started using from Feb 27. It's relatively new, so I will keep this post short.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 15th March 2020 at 16:30.
Old 15th March 2020, 17:07   #29663
Senior - BHPian

Calling all Android Gurus - Kindly take a look at my issue with an Android based Sony Smart TV posted here: URL (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome!
Old 15th March 2020, 17:26   #29664
BHPian

Thank you phamilyman and Safety is Param. Not considering the X2 Pro because of ColorOS. I've been using a OnePlus 5T for more than 2 years and I don't think any other android skin can match OxygenOS for user experience. My only concern with the 7T was that the big screen + 90Hz refresh rate might lead to poor battery life. My 5T got me to the end of the day no problems, so I wanted to ensure battery life was adequate
Old 15th March 2020, 17:42   #29665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 5T got me to the end of the day no problems, so I wanted to ensure battery life was adequate
Why don't you wait for One Plus 8 which in all likelyhood will be launched in April. I am waiting for the same. 7T although a good phone is looking a little old for the price.
Old 15th March 2020, 18:17   #29666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Why don't you wait for One Plus 8 which in all likelyhood will be launched in April. I am waiting for the same. 7T although a good phone is looking a little old for the price.
I'm getting a good exchange offer on my 5T and have an Amazon voucher expiring in 5 days. Getting it effectively at 21.5k. Highly doubt I could get the 8 at such a low price. The 8 is also expected to come with a curved screen which I just don't like. The performance and the cameras of the 7T are more than adequate for me. The 5G capabilities are also not going to be useful for atleast the next 3 years. Don't see any major features coming in the 8 worth the extra price and wait.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:01   #29667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Moderate to heavy productivity apps + calls/SMS usage 8AM to midnight and podcasts/streaming music for 2-3 commuting hours.

Start day with 90-odd% charge and have 30+ left when going to bed.

The only unusual battery drain is bad cellular network, so I stay on Wi-Fi both at home and work. Use a spare basic Android for navigation when necessary.

Screen set to 90Hz by default (though the setting menu says it auto-adjusts to 60 when needed).

P.S. I have a spare charger/cable set in my bag at all times due to flexible schedules, and a warp charge top-up is insanely fast, if it comes to it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th March 2020 at 20:03.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:29   #29668
BHPian

Thanks Chetan_Rao. Have gone ahead and ordered a silver one. Will be getting it tomorrow.
Old 15th March 2020, 20:45   #29669
BHPian

Good evening.

1. Don't fall for 5G now. It's at least 2 years away, if not more.

2. Anyone on the fence for the One Plus 7 series should jump right in.

3. One Plus is no longer your affordable flagship phone. The One Plus 7T Pro has already illustrated that.

4. One Plus, down the line, will be competing only with Samsung and iPhone flagships.

5. One Plus is polished enough that it no longer needs to be sold at mouthwatering prices, it's no longer your budget flagship phone.

6. The CEO has given enough indications that the new One Plus is not gonna be cheap.

7. All experiments are carried out in Vivo, a bit polished and it gets pushed to Real Me, and then to One Plus once it's super stable.

8. Real Me is the new One Plus, if price is the only consideration.

9. There are no issues with Color OS if you use a 3rd party launcher.

10. There are no Ads in Real Me X2 Pro, been using since Feb 4th week.

11. Real Me X2 Pro and One Plus 7T are manufactured in the same facility, and they use the same displays, have the same notch as well.

There is much more, and all this information is available in the public domain if searched with some effort, hence, not attaching any proof.

Bottom line is, if someone doesn't have brand affinity then it takes some time to justify buying a phone, as there are different aspects that need to be weighed.

However, if someone just wants an Apple or One Plus or Samsung, just go and get it, because the next iteration isn't going to be cheaper and there won't be any major technical upgrades between successive iterations.

Just make a list of priorities and start looking.

There is no perfect smartphone.

I have a One Plus 3T and 7T in the house as well. The 3T completes 3 years tomorrow.
Old 15th March 2020, 22:35   #29670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Chetan_Rao. Have gone ahead and ordered a silver one. Will be getting it tomorrow.
I preferred the silver too, but got the blue for the extra storage. Not a must-have though, unless one's a media hoarder or works with large files.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks