Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2020, 14:51   #29596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung pay is amazing. At first it thought it was a cool party trick, but it works very well. I havent had a failure yet. Works every where normal ATM cards work. Only challenge is in convincing the confused cashiers.
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:08   #29597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Samsung M30s I bought recently restarts every morning automatically, sometimes once again during the course of the day. A bit of Googling shows many people face this and it seems Samsung is yet to issue any fix for it. Anybody else facing this issue?
Oh geez, I recently bought a Samsung M30s 3 weeks ago, I hope that doesn't start happening to my phone!

Coming from an Honor 6X, I must admit I'm quite disappointed with the Samsung M30s. List of issues faced so far:
- SMS msg length very limited. It doesn't seem to have the intelligence to automatically split and send as multiple msgs if length is on the longer side, as my Honor would do. Instead, the msg sending just fails!
- Keyboard seems unhelpful. I'm using GBoard as the KB interface, and somehow it's autocorrect was much smarter on my Honor.
- Disconnecting a phone call is very slow. It seems to require a prolonged press of the end button and even after that takes quite a while to dismiss the phone app.
- Generally slower than the older Honor 6X.
- The next set alarm simply refuses to show up on the lock screen, tried playing with the settings, no luck.
- Needlessly requires multiple clicks for common tasks.
- The bezel-less screen is a nuisance. I end up accidentally triggering unwanted touches when watching a video in full-screen mode. From this standpoint, I rather prefer to go against the tide and prefer the ones that have a border.
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:21   #29598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

If you can spend 30k then forget the M31. That is likely to be a slight upgrade over the existing M30s, which is a 15k budget phone. The A71 would be leagues ahead of that.
Well we walked into a mall, and we just decided to head to the Samsung cafe to check out the a71. They had no demo devices because the phone had just arrived. And no s10 lite in stock too. Looks like that device is a hot seller.

He looked at our phone, and guess what. The battery has bulged. He offered 2k in exchange plus a 6 month interest free emi on top. We lost no time is closing it.

Only fly was the airtel soon refused to register in the new phone. Worked fine on my pixel, and other Airtel sims worked fine on the a71 prism blue. Sitting at the airtel center now and will swap a new sim and see if it does the trick. This sim is more than a few years old.

Seems like a good phone, but i like the pixel form factor.

Spigen rugged case is enroute.

Last edited by Red Liner : 22nd February 2020 at 15:22.
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:27   #29599
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Seems like a good phone, but i like the pixel form factor.
Congratulations, hope your mom enjoys the phone.

The Pixel costs like twice as much. The A71 is a great choice for the money I would say.
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:35   #29600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, hope your mom enjoys the phone.

The Pixel costs like twice as much. The A71 is a great choice for the money I would say.
No man the 3a is like 25k after discounts now lol. But the screen is too small for her.

By the way, this a71 is 8gb ram and 128gb internal. Absolute madness.
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:26   #29601
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Well we walked into a mall, and we just decided to head to the Samsung cafe to check out the a71. They had no demo devices because the phone had just arrived. And no s10 lite in stock too. Looks like that device is a hot seller.
Lucky. I would have answered "wait for S71" when the "S10 lite vs Op 7T" came up, but was not sure when that would launch. Looks like Samsung rolled announcement and launch Into one big bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
- SMS msg length very limited. It doesn't seem to have the intelligence to automatically split and send as multiple msgs if length is on the longer side, as my Honor would do. Instead, the msg sending just fails!
- Keyboard seems unhelpful. I'm using GBoard as the KB interface, and somehow it's autocorrect was much smarter on my Honor.

- The next set alarm simply refuses to show up on the lock screen, tried playing with the settings, no luck.
Try installing Google's apps for both SMS and clock. Regarding the keyboard, you can play around with settings or try samsung keyboards.
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:50   #29602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh geez, I recently bought a Samsung M30s 3 weeks ago, I hope that doesn't start happening to my phone!
I think if there is a long period of inactivity the phone hibernates and wakes up when we use it. Then I have to enter PIN in addition to fingerprint. It doesn't happen when there is any intermittent activity.

I too feel the keyboard is not as intuitive as in my old Moto G3. The vernacular keyboard is also not as good.

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd February 2020 at 18:52.
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:59   #29603
BHPian

Quote:
Coming from an Honor 6X, I must admit I'm quite disappointed with the Samsung M30s.
Three more:
- Wifi passwords cannot be shared, so if one has forgotten the password of an already connected network, there's no fix
- Call recording option does not show up in the in-call menu
- Speed of the Wifi/data network in KBps doesn't show up in the notifications bar

Xiaomi has got a lot of nifty features in their Mi UI which Samsung should include too.
Old 27th February 2020, 16:47   #29604
BANNED

Is this a good deal -
Poco F1 by Xiaomi (Armored Edition, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage) - Extra 2,000 Off on Exchange & Upto 6 Months No Cost EMI https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07H6NJX5F/..._1t6vEbT67VEDY
Old 27th February 2020, 20:10   #29605
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Is this a good deal -
Poco F1 by Xiaomi (Armored Edition, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage) - Extra 2,000 Off on Exchange & Upto 6 Months No Cost EMI https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07H6NJX5F/..._1t6vEbT67VEDY
It's an old phone that is at the end of it's lifecycle. My suggestion would be to avoid it. There are many good phones in that price bracket. What are your requirements?
Old 27th February 2020, 20:14   #29606
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for the LG v60 to be launched here Hope it's under 50k.
Old 27th February 2020, 20:55   #29607
BHPian

Hey, has anyone bought/tried the Samsung Note 10 lite? Very interested as I think the S pen should be useful for work related stuff, but am a bit guarded about the 2 year old processor and the cameras?

I dont play any games on my mobile, but am a heavy content consumer, so lots of videos etc.
Old 27th February 2020, 22:04   #29608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
- Call recording option does not show up in the in-call menu
Call recording is an option, Just go into the dialer and tap the 3 dots on top RHS corner, you will find it.
Old 28th February 2020, 06:48   #29609
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Hey, has anyone bought/tried the Samsung Note 10 lite?

I dont play any games on my mobile, but am a heavy content consumer, so lots of videos etc.
Maybe the S10 lite or the A71?
You can use handwriting to do what the stylus does, may be, but have not tried it.
Old 28th February 2020, 07:30   #29610
BANNED

Quote:
It's an old phone that is at the end of it's lifecycle. My suggestion would be to avoid it. There are many good phones in that price bracket. What are your requirements?
Thanks for responding. Am looking for < 20k phone. Heavy user for email(screen, battery), music(battery) other use cases are average. Rugged screen to withstand toddler.

Using Mi Note 5 Pro..Was thinking of S31 but it has same 6GB RAM

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th February 2020 at 12:06. Reason: Please use emoticons provided in forum text editor for a consistent reader experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks