Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:37   #30346
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

As you guys probably already know, Google has released dark theme for Google maps. I enabled it once. And now when I want to go back to default mode where it automatically switch to light theme during day time and dark theme during night, I can't. It just has three options. Always light, always dark and same as system theme. Any idea what to do.
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:12   #30347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
now when I want to go back to default mode where it automatically switch to light theme during day time and dark theme during night, I can't.
ObQ: Did you try activating the "clear cache" option for the Google Maps app? Generally such local settings are stored in the local cache area.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 00:17   #30348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
... Any idea what to do.
Within the Maps interface, goto Settings > Navigation Settings > Map Display > Color Scheme

Lets you control the map display color independent of system theme.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20210323000912__01.jpg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 02:09   #30349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Check facebook app settings to turn down the sounds
Can't find any. You can turn ON/Off Notifications but not control their gain levels in the App.
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:15   #30350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Within the Maps interface, goto Settings > Navigation Settings > Map Display > Color Scheme

Lets you control the map display color independent of system theme.

Attachment 2135898
Yes I did that but still it's showing dark maps in day time. That's why I was asking. In fact even if I select day in the above setting, then also it's showing dark theme maps only.

Edit: problem solved. Actually I was looking at the map without actually using the navigation. When I start to navigate, it does the switch to day and night map theme. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Carpainter : 23rd March 2021 at 08:21.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:37   #30351
BHPian

OnePlus 9 and Pro prices announced.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20210323_203423_594.jpg  

kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:55   #30352
Senior - BHPian

Insane pricing? Oneplus started to think that they are the apple in android world and every year they can keep increase their prices and no one will complain
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 21:05   #30353
Senior - BHPian

OnePlus differentiated themselves as 'flagship killer' when they started. Now somehow they themselves are within breathing distance of their 'then' target brands.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:41   #30354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Insane pricing? Oneplus started to think that they are the apple in android world and every year they can keep increase their prices and no one will complain
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
OnePlus differentiated themselves as 'flagship killer' when they started. Now somehow they themselves are within breathing distance of their 'then' target brands.
Beg to differ here. The flagship phone prices have moved above a lakh. The S21 Ultra, Samsung Note series, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 Pro have all gone over a 1.1 lakh pricing in India at launch. Oneplus 9 pro priced between 65K and 70K is still cheaper than the S21 base variant. The premium phones pricing has moved up past few years and we can't expect Oneplus to give us everything around the 30K price mark.

Just an observation and I am not a Oneplus fan at all and have never used one actually.

Last edited by whencut86 : 24th March 2021 at 09:42. Reason: correction
Old 24th March 2021, 10:32   #30355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
The premium phones pricing has moved up past few years and we can't expect Oneplus to give us everything around the 30K price mark.

Just an observation and I am not a Oneplus fan at all and have never used one actually.
Personally I don't think Oneplus Pro have the finesse or features of S21 Ultra or Iphone 12 pro. They used to price it at a discount with Galaxy S base series or Iphone base variants. Now they are coming almost on par. I see oneplus as a jack of all master of nothing.
poloman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 12:39   #30356
BHPian

I'm seriously considering the upgrade now as my current HTC U11 bought in Jan 2018 started showing the software problems (lag, hang etc). Also an itch to upgrade to the VOLTE enabled phone to utilize the wifi calling features as currently in full mode of WFH.

First time thinking to go for Oneplus series, waited for Oneplus 9Pro but it's priced bit more than expected and I don't find Oneplus 9 not worthy against even 8Pro except the camera tweaks done. Oneplus 8Pro prices are come to down 50K now, So thinking to go for same. I'm a heavy user (no games but extensive use of apps for personal and official activities).

Last edited by Jebs : 24th March 2021 at 12:40. Reason: corrections done
Old 24th March 2021, 13:23   #30357
Senior - BHPian

Yes totally insane prices for the OnePlus 9 series.
And judging by initial round of reviews, its not that special either. I think getting the OnePlus 8Pro for 15k less is the better option if one wants to stay with OnePlus. It looks like in some conditions 8Pro camera is even better than 9Pro and the battery backup is also much better. Is it an inferior quality 888 they are using as the same chip is giving phenomenal battery life in S21 Ultra / S21+. I'd rather wait for S21 Ultra prices to cool down to 9Pro level and pick it up.
Old 24th March 2021, 14:32   #30358
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone manage to pick up the pixel 4a lately? I somehow convinced myself that its the best compromise and was looking to pick one up but since last 1 month I always see stock not available on flipkart. Tried both in Bangalore and Kolkata. Is it that high in demand or we aren't getting enough stocks?

On side note appreciate some suggestions on any other compact phone(<6") in 20-30k range. I mainly need compact form factor and something which would get updates for next 2 years atleast. Usage is mostly browsing chrome/youtube/linkedin & occasionally clicking pictures. TIA
Old 24th March 2021, 16:53   #30359
BHPian

I was using a Nokia 7 plus till now which had stock Android. I could remove/uninstall apps from home screen by long pressing and moving the finger to choose the desired option.

Now I have a Samsung M31. If I long press an app it does show the option to remove and uninstall but the moment I move my finger, it goes away. To uninstall I can still use Play store or Settings-App. But how to remove apps from home screen?
Old 24th March 2021, 17:12   #30360
BHPian

I have been an Oneplus user since 2013, Oneplus One and Oneplus 5T - both still going strong.
I liked the no-nonsense OS and the top hardware that keeps the phones relevant even today. The only gripe was the camera and I think Oneplus just overhyped the Hasselblad partnership for the 9/9pro. If they had just played it normally, I'm sure the camera system would've been received well.
I was ready to put my money on the 9pro if it had been in the 8pro price point, but not anymore. The 9 looks like a compromise, but the 9R sounds interesting. So I'm going to wait till I see more of the 9R to decide whether to stay with the Oneplus brand or look elsewhere.

With 9 series launch and the direction the company has been taking since 8 series, it is no surprise why Carl Pei moved on.

There is an interesting and accurate analysis video by YouTuber MKBD on the Oneplus journey from a niche to a mass-market brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks