Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2021, 00:08   #30421
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BLR/EWR
Posts: 739
Thanked: 331 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Will miss out on stock android but galaxy a52/72 meet the rest. Can wait for the 5g version too.

I too have a similar budget but still not quite sure what my requirements are. Currently leaning towards the oppo Reno 5 pro 5G
Doesn't Samsung devices come with lots of bloatware? I like clean UI.

How is the OS on 'Oppo Reno 5'? Also, does it have stereo speakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
The Pixel 4a meets all your requirements perfectly.
The other option if you are ok with OxygenOS is the OnePlus Nord.
Pixel 4A doesn't allow 'call recording' and also doesn't support dual SIM.

OnePlus Nord does NOT have stereo speakers and am NOT sure it has OIS camera.
JMaruru is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 01:13   #30422
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 421
Thanked: 1,050 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Doesn't Samsung devices come with lots of bloatware? I like clean UI.

How is the OS on 'Oppo Reno 5'? Also, does it have stereo speakers?
I think the Samsung one UI is far improved and the bloatware doesn't really annoy much these days. My dad got a samsung m51s and seems to work fairly smoothly.

On the Oppo it doesn't meet your requirements hence didn't recommend.

I mainly like it for the slim build and the curved display. The dimensity 1000+ also seems to be better than the 765g in nord and not far behind the flagship Snapdragon ones.

I also liked the OS, seemed fairly clutter free. It is the same one that OnePlus phones use in China, just without the Google apps.
anandhsub is online now  
Old 8th April 2021, 01:26   #30423
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: KL
Posts: 20
Thanked: 61 Times
Re: Stock Android Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
I am in the market for a device with following characteristics.
1. Stock Android
2. Stereo Speakers
3. OIS Camera
4. AMOLED Display

Currently, been using Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' for almost 2.5 years with custom ROM 'Havoc'.

I have a budget of around INR 30K.

Please advise!
If you want stock android only pixel 4a is there.
Check the quality of stereo speakers. Now even budget devices are coming with stereo speakers but the sound from earpiece is too low and you will not get the flagship stereo speaker experience.

Some good ones according to me other than Oneplus Nord and Samsung Galaxy A52[Not value for money]
Vivo X60-With offers you will get for less than 32k[exchange and bank offer]. No stereo speaker and stock android [I heard the O.S is good] but Snapdragon 870 and good cameras

Iqoo 3-25k Not a good UI I think but if you are O.K with Custom ROM, it is a good one.
The21st is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 09:47   #30424
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 192
Thanked: 122 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
doesn't support dual SIM.
Quoting from pixel 4a dual sim, Yes it does support dual sim.
smnrock is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 10:22   #30425
BHPian
 
ms001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 993
Thanked: 155 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I've been using a Pixel 2 XL for more than 3 years now. I am thinking of changing soon but it's impossible to find a decent android under 50K with stock android, good camera, IP68 and snapdragon processor.


The only other option is to abandon Android and jump to iOS.
I am in the same boat as you, I have been using Google phones since NEXUS era, I tried a few androids in between but nothing compared to the seamless intuitive UI and experience as the Google devices.
I don't see any option but a switch to iOS sadly. Flipkart has some great offers on the iPhone 12, plus there is 6k HDFC discount.

I think I will be jumping ship soon.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th April 2021 at 10:19. Reason: Please put space after a punctuation mark, not before it. Also, please proof read before submitting your post. Thanks.
ms001 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th April 2021, 11:49   #30426
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KA03
Posts: 801
Thanked: 2,838 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
I am in the same boat as you, I have been using google phones since NEXUS era, I tried a few androids in between but nothing compare to the seamless intuitive UI and experience as the google devices.
I don't see any option but a switch to IOS sadly. Flipkart has some great offers on the iPhone 12, plus there is 6k HDFC discount.

I think I will be jumping ship soon.
I think you should consider Samsung flagships. I am genuinely pleased with their One UI and their overall quality. I have rooted every single one of my devices (including older Samsung devices) except my Samsung S10+, because I don't find the system lacking in any way. I don't find any intrusive bloatware and any app that I don't use is quietly put to deep sleep by the system.

The only issue with I have with my Samsung S10+ is the Clearview cover, where they've embedded a chip or tag of some sort, which prevents me from using a cheap (relatively) third-party flip cover with the system's auto-sleep and auto-wakeup features, forcing me to shell out a ransom for their original cover. But then again, if you are ready for the Apple ecosystem, you are already used to forking out large sums of money!
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:58   #30427
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BLR/EWR
Posts: 739
Thanked: 331 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I think you should consider Samsung flagships. I am genuinely pleased with their One UI and their overall quality. I have rooted every single one of my devices (including older Samsung devices) except my Samsung S10+, because I don't find the system lacking in any way.
Why root, if you like the One UI?
Does rooting the device help in removal of bloatware?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:06   #30428
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 769
Thanked: 1,281 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Now I just saw the news on Samsung S20 FE 5G which on paper checks all my boxes barring one. The Samsung One UI 3.1. Coming from a Pixel with stock android how irritating is the Samsung bloatware and redundant apps vs the google version.

I love the clean Pixel OS and am deeply integrated into all Google apps like Onedrive, google dialer with google directory integration, google photos, google news feed, tasks (keep) and use google assistant. Really not sure if Samsung OS will be tolerable for me.

The only other option is to abandon Android and jump to iOS.
Since the currently available Pixel 4a doesn't have 5G, why don't you consider getting something like the Moto G-5G and save money till the next 1 or 2 years when the 5G bandwagon settles down and we get to know the real life pros and cos of choosing 5G phones when actual 5G network is available.

I am also dependent on the most of the Google services you mentioned above and prefer the original Android interface.

IIRC your previous experience with Moto X2 was not good, especially in the battery department. But that was the era when 24nm chips used to be coupled with 2000-2800mah batteries which was kind of nightmare combination. Now the things have changed. 5000-6000mah batteries have now become standard and are married with efficient-smaller chips which contributes in getting easy 2-3 days of battery backup, even the heavily bloated Samsung and MIs provide decent battery backup.

Since you are used to of Google services and open environment of Android, you gonna miss a lot by switching onto Apple ecosystem.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:11   #30429
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,606
Thanked: 42,243 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
IIRC your previous experience with Moto X2 was not good, especially in the battery department. But that was the era when 24nm chips used to be coupled with 2000-2800mah batteries which was kind of nightmare combination. Now the things have changed. 5000-6000mah batteries have now become standard and are married with efficient-smaller chips which contributes in getting easy 2-3 days of battery backup, even the heavily bloated Samsung and MIs provide decent battery backup.

Since you are used to of Google services and open environment of Android, you gonna miss a lot by switching onto Apple ecosystem.
The Moto G 5G option was closely considered as well but I was not keen on 20K now and then again after few months.

Yes the Moto X2 had battery issues. Then I changed to Nexus 5X which was worse!

Then I got the LG G6 and I got so fed up of slow updates and every update causing issues in the phone that I sold it in 10months to get the Pixel2 XL.

The 2XL is my first phone that has crossed 3 years of use.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 12:14   #30430
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KA03
Posts: 801
Thanked: 2,838 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why root, if you like the One UI?
Does rooting the device help in removal of bloatware?
Exactly! I did NOT root my s10+. I have not bothered to remove the bloatware because it has not annoyed me in any way. I believe you can disable the bloatware using adb with a PC via the USB port. (not sure if this works with the latest Android)
mvadg is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 14:03   #30431
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 769
Thanked: 1,281 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Moto G 5G option was closely considered as well but I was not keen on 20K now and then again after few months.
Well, don't want to sound like a marketing guy convincing you, but I don't think you will have to spend the money again on mobile phone just after few month, I strongly believe the above device can easily sustain couple of years unless dropped and broken.

Still if you want a flagship premium device with pure Android then can check the Moto Edge+. Occasionally it keeps getting listed at handsome discounts so check for those deals.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th April 2021 at 14:05.
tbppjpr is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 14:19   #30432
Team-BHP Support
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea (Bihar)
Posts: 9,090
Thanked: 13,400 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

For guys considering the new One Plus variants.

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:58   #30433
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,606
Thanked: 42,243 Times
Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Well, don't want to sound like a marketing guy convincing you, but I don't think you will have to spend the money again on mobile phone just after few month, I strongly believe the above device can easily sustain couple of years unless dropped and broken.

Still if you want a flagship premium device with pure Android then can check the Moto Edge+. Occasionally it keeps getting listed at handsome discounts so check for those deals.
My problem is Moto G 5G camera can't replace the 3 year old Pixel camera processing.

Then there's lack of IP rating plus more compromises.

From a Pixel Moto G 5G is kinds of big downgrade.
Vid6639 is offline  
Old 8th April 2021, 16:43   #30434
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 268
Thanked: 371 Times
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My problem is Moto G 5G camera can't replace the 3 year old Pixel camera processing.



Then there's lack of IP rating plus more compromises.



From a Pixel Moto G 5G is kinds of big downgrade.

Unfortunately the writing is on the wall, if you have not chosen the usual suspects yet from the android side (one plus / Samsung / pixel - already downgraded by google) then apple is the only option. Unfortunately Microsoft left the field and consumers are now stuck with a duopoly (I like to call them team apples and team oranges - orange being modular, you get the drift. There is no team mango or banana or any other fruit) for such a prominent consumer good which should be brimming with possibilities.

Further Linux is suffering the same fate here as well along side it's desktop / laptop branch and despite so many security and privacy concern I do not see Linux making any dent on the consumer side of stuff even in future.

PS - migration of WhatsApp chats is an important factor for me and WhatsApp is supposedly working on the same for transferring data between platforms.
roamer012 is offline  
Old 9th April 2021, 23:31   #30435
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BLR/EWR
Posts: 739
Thanked: 331 Times
Re: Stock Android Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
I am in the market for a device with following characteristics.
1. Stock Android
2. Stereo Speakers
3. OIS Camera
4. AMOLED Display

Currently, been using Asus 'Zenfone Max Pro M1' for almost 2.5 years with custom ROM 'Havoc'.

I have a budget of around INR 30K.
Guys!
Any views on 'OnePlus 9R'?
I had a budget of 30K but should bump it up by 10K to get this device.
Is it worth the same?

Some cons are absence of 3.5mm jack and NOT so balanced stereo speakers.
Only other option as of now is 'Samsung A72' with considerably older chipset and One UI(Unlike Stock Android) OR is there any others?

Please advise!
JMaruru is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks