Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 20:35   #30331
BHPian

Any opinions on the Redmi 10 Pro / Max? I was earlier geared up for the Samsung M12 but find the processor to be of lower spec and am considering the Redmi now. Need to replace a Samsung M30 that died due to water damage.
Old 16th March 2021, 20:39   #30332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Any opinions on the Redmi 10 Pro / Max? I was earlier geared up for the Samsung M12 but find the processor to be of lower spec and am considering the Redmi now. Need to replace a Samsung M30 that died due to water damage.
It's good. I guess even Realme 8 series has a great processor. Can consider that too.
Old 16th March 2021, 22:35   #30333
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Got new Pixel 4a. Any idea how to set VLC player as the default music player in it? Currently it opens YouTube music as default app. I can't find option to set a default music app.

Tia,
-BJ
Old 16th March 2021, 23:09   #30334
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
If you can tolerate the ads which Xiaomi forces on you through their Redmi series of phones, then it's decent. Personally the forced ads are a deal breaker for me.
Old 16th March 2021, 23:30   #30335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If you can tolerate the ads which Xiaomi forces on you through their Redmi series of phones, then it's decent.
Thanks for that input Oxy. I see there are ways to turn off the ads. Any Redmi users to confirm that?
Old 16th March 2021, 23:35   #30336
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for the A72.

Thanks for your note. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who retains phones for a while.

I haven't completely crossed off the iPhone yet. If I do get one, it'll likely be the 12, given my habit of retaining phones for a while.

I too am not very hot on an entirely Chinese-origin device. Equally, I'm not a fan of Apple's walled garden (or should I say orchard ) approach and have therefore generally preferred Android devices. Interesting conundrum.

I'll keep you all updated on my thinking and choice. Thanks again for chipping in.
In the Apple orchard, the gardener NOW pretends to care about users privacy, While Android doesn’t even pretend
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:57   #30337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
In the Apple orchard, the gardener NOW pretends to care about users privacy, While Android doesn’t even pretend
Touche!

Then again giving up my data and privacy seems to be par for the course once I decide to get on the Internet anyway
Old 17th March 2021, 01:08   #30338
BHPian

Quote:
Any Redmi users to confirm that?
I'm using the Redmi K20 Pro which has the POCO launcher by default. Ads can be turned off almost completely. As for the Redmi Note series, I think the default launcher is MIUI.
Old 17th March 2021, 07:34   #30339
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that input Oxy. I see there are ways to turn off the ads. Any Redmi users to confirm that?
I had a Redmi Note 8 Pro as my secondary phone. There are ads almost everywhere on the phone There are certain apps where it can be turned off, but haven't figured a way to completely get rid of them. I was so frustrated and in the end, I went ahead and exchanged it with a Poco M2 Pro. Poco phones don't have ads, FYI. They make good phones for the price but the ads are way too obtrusive for my liking.
Old 17th March 2021, 08:44   #30340
BHPian

Quote:
I am using Poco M2 which variant of Xiaomi. I removed all bloatware using following link(s).

Ready made code/script Link
Write up on removing bloatware link

While above links give lots of 'packages' that could be removed, however it is phone specific. To check which packages are pre-installed with your phone, you can run following script in windows machine.

Quote:
adb shell "pm list packages -f" | cut -f 2 -d "="|sort>packages.log
The above list all packages and using same I made a script to remove bloatware.
pocoremove.pdf

Every-time update to phone is pushed most bloatware comeback.

I faced no issues removing the bloatware listed in my script.
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 09:45   #30341
BHPian

Quote:
I/family are using redmi phones and it is possible to turn off ads completely. There are youtube videos blogs detailing how to do that.
Old 17th March 2021, 10:01   #30342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
They make good phones for the price but the ads are way too obtrusive for my liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I faced no issues removing the bloatware listed in my script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I/family are using redmi phones and it is possible to turn off ads completely.
Thanks very much guys for sharing your experiences. I am going ahead with the Redmi 10 Pro Max, based on the ability to remove ads. This is for my 16 yo son and i will assist him to change settings and show him how to remove bloat ware.
Old 18th March 2021, 23:43   #30343
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much guys for sharing your experiences. I am going ahead with the Redmi 10 Pro Max, based on the ability to remove ads. This is for my 16 yo son and i will assist him to change settings and show him how to remove bloat ware.
https://github.com/Szaki/XiaomiADBFa...leases/tag/7.0

This is the tool I used to debloat my Redmi Note 9 Pro MAX. Lists all the installed apks and allows you to remove or freeze them. Also keeps the list so you can reinstall or unfreeze them, if needed. This basically runs the same scripts using ADB, but has a GUI for easy use.
Old 19th March 2021, 03:41   #30344
Senior - BHPian

I've been noticing that hitting the Like button on Facebook leads to a loud pop noise, even when notifications, ring volume is at its lowest. Has anyone experienced this and how do you correct this?

The phone is a Xiaomi Mi 9 with MIUI Global 12.0.4 release.
Old 19th March 2021, 09:56   #30345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I've been noticing that hitting the Like button on Facebook leads to a loud pop noise, even when notifications, ring volume is at its lowest. Has anyone experienced this and how do you correct this?

The phone is a Xiaomi Mi 9 with MIUI Global 12.0.4 release.
Check facebook app settings to turn down the sounds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks