Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The 'small' 3140 mAh battery on the chhotu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Battery scene.
Could you guys please post some day and night pictures from you 4As?
I am still on the fence whether to go for this, the Nord 2 or get the 5 from the US(If that is possible).
Old 13th October 2021, 12:37   #31052
BHPian

Quote:
The 'small' 3140 mAh battery on the chhotu Pixel lasts surprisingly long! This was with heavy productivity apps use with lots of typing, I'll have to try with multimedia/streaming apps on the weekend.

Attachment 2218487
Can you tell me the tips & tricks that you are using to get such a long battery life? I was about to give feedback on the Pixel 4a based on my usage for last 1 week and it shines in all respect except for a paltry battery life of around 20 hrs for me.

I am already on dark theme. What other settings should I do to get such battery life.
Old 13th October 2021, 12:50   #31053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Can you tell me the tips & tricks that you are using to get such a long battery life? I was about to give feedback on the Pixel 4a based on my usage for last 1 week and it shines in all respect except for a paltry battery life of around 20 hrs for me.

I am already on dark theme. What other settings should I do to get such battery life.
You'll need to look at hours of actual use (not passive battery drain while your phone sits unused). I can get 7 hours of active use over half a really busy day (like that screencap), or the same over 1.5 light days. That doesn't mean my battery suddenly became 3 times better or worse, I just pushed it harder (or not).

Your largest battery hogs will always be network connectivity and apps/services that constantly refresh in the background. The former you can't really do much about as it's service provider dependent in your location, but the latter is entirely up to you.

I'm constantly on WiFi when indoors, and don't have social media apps (or accounts to need them for), which probably helps a lot. I also use lower brightness (light sensitivity).

Work Profile gets switched off during off-work hours too, so my most heavily used 'background refresh' apps are offline for nearly half the day while I'm not using them.

Get a battery monitoring app (AccuBattery is one good example) to look at your detailed battery use, and adjust settings accordingly.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2021 at 12:51.
Old 13th October 2021, 13:02   #31054
BHPian

Quote:
You'll need to look at hours of actual use (not passive battery drain while your phone sits unused). I can get 7 hours of active use over half a really busy day (like that screencap), or the same over 1.5 light days. That doesn't mean my battery suddenly became 3 times better or worse, I just pushed it harder (or not).
I get around 20 hrs of battery time in total inlcuding passive battery drain and normal screen usage. Screen usage of overall 4 hrs.

No official usage, no social media apps installed at all.

Mostly TOI and Google feed. Along with minimal whatsapp.

Rest all Spotify and Saavn - 1-2 hrs a day max.

I lose around 16-18% battery during the night itself when there is no usage

Quote:
Your largest battery hogs will always be network connectivity and apps/services that constantly refresh in the background. The former you can't really do much about as it's service provider dependent in your location, but the latter is entirely up to you.
Agreed

Quote:
I'm constantly on WiFi when indoors, and don't have social media apps (or accounts to need them for), which probably helps a lot. I also use lower brightness (light sensitivity).
Am on Wifi all the time , but do have my Bluetooth and location on for connectivity to health band, earphones etc

Quote:
Work Profile gets switched off during off-work hours too, so my most heavily used 'background refresh' apps are offline for nearly half the day while I'm not using them.
No work profile for me

Quote:
Get a battery monitoring app (AccuBattery is one good example) to look at your detailed battery use, and adjust settings accordingly.
I had accepted that the battery life is bad. But looking at your battery life and usage looks like I may have a lemon. Will do some googling and figure out if I am doing something which reduces battery

Last edited by nibedk : 13th October 2021 at 13:03. Reason: Additional data
nibedk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:10   #31055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Could you guys please post some day and night pictures from you 4As?
I am still on the fence whether to go for this, the Nord 2 or get the 5 from the US(If that is possible).
Mine is the older 3a. However, I am still attaching few pics. The pictures of this phone were better than iphone 7plus and XR that's in my family. Iphone 11 has superior camera.

Go for it if, you want good camera performance and you want clean Android experience. If phone performance/multi-tasking is a major criteria, then look for a phone with better processor.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201114_145818609.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201116_062258961.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20200919_164621.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201010_153240701.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201114_130403786.night.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201115_124448195.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201114_125046633.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201115_101444635.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201003_081546755.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-pxl_20201116_094048416.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_20200919_173500.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:12   #31056
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Mostly TOI and Google feed. Along with minimal whatsapp.
What browser do you use? Chrome is a resource hog, consider switching to something lighter. I use DuckDuckGo.

Quote:
I lose around 16-18% battery during the night itself when there is no usage
Something running in the background is keeping your phone active. A battery monitor app that can breakdown per-app usage can clarify.

Quote:
...location services....
Another major culprit. Do your active devices (smartwatch/health band etc.) need location turned on all the time, or activity-specific (like tracking a jog/run/cycling session)?

It's always possible that your device may have a fault, but a misbehaving app/service is far more likely. Eliminate that before you make a warranty claim.

AccuBattery says my 'battery health' is 98% after a week's use, but I'm not freaking out. I'll use it for a few months and see if there's actual rapid degeneration, or this is just teething quirks of the phone. Can always make a warranty claim, but there needs to be an actual, demonstrable fault, not a minor variance that may be within design tolerance (battery capacity isn't exact down to the last mAh at hardware level).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2021 at 14:16.
Old 13th October 2021, 15:28   #31057
BHPian

Quote:
I get around 20 hrs of battery time in total inlcuding passive...
Check your mobile signal level. Your phone will spend more energy in a weak signal area amplifying the signal. Same with other radios.
Old 13th October 2021, 16:28   #31058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Mine is the older 3a. However, I am still attaching few pics. The pictures of this phone were better than iphone 7plus and XR that's in my family. Iphone 11 has superior camera.
OT: Which are the locations in your last 3 photos?
Old 13th October 2021, 16:39   #31059
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
OT: Which are the locations in your last 3 photos?
Last 3 locations, in the same order: Devaramane; Jog falls; Vani Vilas Sagar dam
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 22:34   #31060
BHPian

Quote:
AccuBattery says my 'battery health' is 98% after a week's use, but I'm not freaking out. I'll use it for a few months and see if there's actual rapid degeneration, or this is just teething quirks of the phone. Can always make a warranty claim, but there needs to be an actual, demonstrable fault, not a minor variance that may be within design tolerance (battery capacity isn't exact down to the last mAh at hardware level).
My Motorola edge 20 is only about a month old and according to accubattery the battery health is already down to 82%. How accurate is accubattery?
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20211014223008.png
Old 15th October 2021, 00:59   #31061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My Motorola edge 20 is only about a month old and according to accubattery the battery health is already down to 82%. How accurate is accubattery?
Attachment 2219156
This is my third device with the app, and it's been reasonably accurate so far. My previous one (OnePlus 7T) shows 87% health at the 2 year mark.

I don't religiously monitor it and get paranoid though, just let it collect charging cycle data in the background and take a look once in a while, or if something feels off. Device usage is a very seat-of-the-pants experience for me.

For your Moto showing unusual stats, it's probably best to validate a second way before drawing conclusions.

P.S. Observation from your wear indicator graph. Do you charge the phone to 100% often? I usually stop at 80-odd, and have very few >0.2-0.3 entries.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th October 2021 at 01:03.
Old 15th October 2021, 01:24   #31062
BHPian

Quote:

For your Moto showing unusual stats, it's probably best to validate a second way before drawing conclusions.

P.S. Observation from your wear indicator graph. Do you charge the phone to 100% often? I usually stop at 80-odd, and have very few >0.2-0.3 entries.
I very rarely charge to 100%. I have set an alarm in accubattery at 70% and I unplug it mostly between 70 and 80. But I do charge at least twice a day.

Are there any other apps which I can use to measure the battery health?
Old 15th October 2021, 01:43   #31063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Are there any other apps which I can use to measure the battery health?
Some Android phones have a native diagnostic mode, triggered by dialing *#*#4636#*#*. Access to the diagnostic menu (and what info is shown) may vary by brand, but some do show detailed info including battery stats. See if Moto supports it.

Apps, you could try CPU-Z.
Old 15th October 2021, 11:36   #31064
Team-BHP Support

Been hearing Snapdragon 888 heats up & consumes a lot battery if network is weak and or WiFi is not available. Which is the safer snapdragon, 865 or something else?
Old 15th October 2021, 22:08   #31065
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Been hearing Snapdragon 888 heats up & consumes a lot battery if network is weak and or WiFi is not available. Which is the safer snapdragon, 865 or something else?
Yeah, 865 or 870. Both are identical.

Most Viewed