Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 14:24   #31036
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, is pixel 4a still relevant at 25k?

Current phone is Samsung S9, overall lacklustre experience, especially the camera which has been quite poor. Don't want to go back to Samsung again and don't prefer Chinese brands unless they have something really good on offer.
If camera is primary requirement nothing beats the pixel 4a this side of 30-40k . But then it comes with and older processor and no 5G compatibility. Even I was aiming to buy this during BBD sale but since I hold my phones for long wasn’t sure these misses would affect the performance in a year or so. So if you are someone looking for clean android experience and solid camera(rear) pixel 4a is an excellent choice even now , just that you need to look for upgrade in a year and a half maybe.

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd October 2021 at 14:25.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 16:54   #31037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, is pixel 4a still relevant at 25k?

Current phone is Samsung S9, overall lacklustre experience, especially the camera which has been quite poor. Don't want to go back to Samsung again and don't prefer Chinese brands unless they have something really good on offer.
You did say no to another samsung. But the Samsung S20 FE 5G which has been consistently retailing above 40-42k is now on Amazon at 37k + 1750 hdfc instant cash back. So around 35k which I think is a very good buying price. I have had it for a couple of months now and a fantastic all rounder and a very good camera. So worth considering. I almost bought the Pixel 4a but then felt it was no longer worth buying.

If you don't prefer one of the Chinese brands, there are not too many options in the 25-35k range. The Motorola Edge/Edge Pro are the other options.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 22:13   #31038
Senior - BHPian

From last week I was looking to buy new Android SmartPhone within 20K budget.
Now that Flipkart's BBD and Amazon's GIF are running, I am unable to decide whether to go for 5G phone since I like to keep the phones as long as they last. Currently using Lenovo K6 Power bought in May 2017.

I am looking for phone without bloatware. So Samsung is out.
I don't like to root the phone and also don't like to go Custom ROM route.

Is it recommended to go for 5G phone or wait for 5G to get launched in India?

I am eyeing Moto G40 Fusion, Moto G60 or Moto Edge 20 Fusion.

Are there any other contenders for Good Camera under 20K?
Old 5th October 2021, 20:42   #31039
BHPian

Samsung note 20 ultra is available for 70k now, is it worth buying now.
Old 5th October 2021, 21:13   #31040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
From last week I was looking to buy new Android SmartPhone within 20K budget.
Now that Flipkart's BBD and Amazon's GIF are running, I am unable to decide whether to go for 5G phone since I like to keep the phones as long as they last. Currently using Lenovo K6 Power bought in May 2017.

I am looking for phone without bloatware. So Samsung is out.
I don't like to root the phone and also don't like to go Custom ROM route.

Is it recommended to go for 5G phone or wait for 5G to get launched in India?

I am eyeing Moto G40 Fusion, Moto G60 or Moto Edge 20 Fusion.

Are there any other contenders for Good Camera under 20K?
How about a Pixel 4a? Just ordered one for ~20 K after exchanging my current Nokia 6.1 Plus for around ~4K and another 1 K as card discount. Ordered a Spigen Tempered Glass (2 Nos) and a Ringke transparent case. All 3 for 22.7 K.

It will last me at least till end of 2023 and if Google chooses to support it longer with security updates that would be great. I anyway use a paid anti virus so should be covered for longer. Will change only if a better Pixel comes around end of 2023.
Old 10th October 2021, 14:56   #31041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Samsung note 20 ultra is available for 70k now, is it worth buying now.
I purchased Note 20 Ultra on 2nd Oct. I got the below price.

Offer Price: ₹ 70,099.00
Exchange value: -₹ 8,200.00 (OnePlus 6)
No Cost EMI discount: -₹ 2,478.48
Instant Bank Discount: -₹ 3,250.00
Order Total: ₹ 56,170.52

Interest (charged by bank): ₹ 2,482.90
Total Cost (payable to bank):*₹ 58,653.42
EMI (payable to bank): ₹ 9,775.57 x 6m

If you are ok with charging phone twice a day and can live with Exynos 990 chipset, then it is a wonderful piece of technology. The photos and videos are one of the best in it's segment (not an expert but genuinely looks good). You can change screen to 60 hertz and 1080p resolution to save battery, but once you experience 120 hertz, you can't go back to 60 hertz.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 23:17   #31042
BHPian

Need advise:

My 2 and a half year old phone, One Plus 7 Pro, otherwise in impeccable condition has major touch issues for the last couple of days. Authorised service centre has indicated a price of 16200 for replacement of screen & even the FNG equivalents for cell phones have quoted a similar price

If it wasn't for this issue, I wasn't planning to change this phone at least for another year as it still functions as good as it did on day 1

Question: One Plus is offering a buy back of Rs. 9000 for the phone in the current condition if I purchase another phone from them. Should i get the screen of the One Plus 7 Pro repaired and continue using it for another year or so, or should I buy a new One Plus Nord 2 or should I wait for the One Plus 9RT and use a spare phone in the interim?

My worry is after using the One Plus 7 Pro with that absolutely brilliant display, will the Nord 2 or even 9RT match up to the experience?
Old 11th October 2021, 23:57   #31043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Should I get the screen of the One Plus 7 Pro repaired and continue using it for another year or so, or should I buy a new One Plus Nord 2 or should I wait for the One Plus 9RT and use a spare phone in the interim?
I also own a OnePlus 7 Pro and it worked flawlessly till a month back until OnePlus rolled out the Android 11 update and the update has rendered the cameras useless (won't turn on) and a lot of users are reporting this issue but have no solution as of now.

Coming to your question I would personally recommend getting a new display, the phone is good for another 2 years.

You won't get this amazing curved 1440p (2k) 90 FPS display with the new OnePlus smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
My worry is after using the One Plus 7 Pro with that brilliant display, will the Nord 2 or even 9RT match up to the experience?
No, it won't. R series have budget components hence the price point.

Also, I won't recommend any BHPian to buy OnePlus smartphones anymore, the company was once known to be user-centric and making premium phones with uncluttered UI. Now they are shifting towards OPPO UI from Andriod 12 onwards, even the Oxygen OS launcher has been removed from the new update. It's an OPPO UI now. OnePlus is just raising the prices and extracting profits.

I am in no way discouraging anyone because of the ordeal I am facing, everyone in my family owns a OnePlus thanks to me but it's just sad to see OnePlus chasing money and ignoring customers.
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 18:32   #31044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Now they are shifting towards OPPO UI from Andriod 12 onwards, even the Oxygen OS launcher has been removed from the new update. It's an OPPO UI now.
I don't think it is as bad as some people are making it out it to be.

I had the OnePlus 7 and OxygenOS was not stock Android. They had enough customizations to differentiate itself from stock Android. Stock Android is the one you get in Pixels, Nokia and Motorola. OxygenOS was just another skin like ColorOS and Realme UI but with a lot less customization options and absence of bloatware.

The latter was what made OxygenOS fast and fluid. The move to ColorOS base may change things a bit, but looking at the OS in Nord2, it looks as "stock" as the original OxygenOS it replaced.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 22:16   #31045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The latter was what made OxygenOS fast and fluid. The move to ColorOS base may change things a bit, but looking at the OS in Nord2, it looks as "stock" as the original OxygenOS it replaced.
I used the Google Nexus 6 for 2 years and definitely appreciate the stock OS without bloatware experience. The camera was the best I've used on a smartphone, even better than iPhones (personal preference).

The Android 12 Beta has changed the OnePlus-ness from the phones, I mean if we wanted an oppo then we've would have got one, now OnePlus is just gonna be competing specs.

The icons are completely different, the OnePlus font is gone, the UI isn't as asthetically pleasing, Some features have been removed/added.

I would be installing a custom rom, maybe a pixel rom on my OnePlus 7 Pro very soon, gotta get that stock android experience .

Here's a video on the new ColourOS oneplus is implementing.

I'm a UI/UX Student so please don't mind, I was a huge OnePlus fanboy, but their new decision aren't exactly to my taste, thus the rant .
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:09   #31046
Team-BHP Support

My OnePlus 7T is going to stay on the last stable Android 10 build with a clean OxygenOS skin, esp. now that it'll be my backup device for a while. It's a fantastic device, probably the last 'true' OnePlus, and I may yet go back to it.

I've been experimenting downsizing with a Pixel 4a and an iPhone SE; I'm loving the clean Android 11 and just how compact the Pixel is while still squeezing in a nearly 6 inch screen!

Worth every penny for the ~25k it cost me + ONE rupee for the Nest Mini that came clubbed as an offer.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 23:56   #31047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
I used the Google Nexus 6 for 2 years and definitely appreciate the stock OS without bloatware experience.
I am not sure you understood what I meant.

I have used the OnePlus one, Nexus 5x, nokia 7 plus, Mi A2 and now the Motorola edge 20. So I do know a thing or two about stock android. OxygenOS was never stock android, atleast the one in my OnePlus 7. It had OnePlus launcher, OnePlus dialer, OnePlus messages, OnePlus camera, gallery, contacts, clock etc, none of which were stock android apps. And their own customised settings and notifications panel.

Now with ColorOS they got another skin like OxygenOS, maybe a "thicker" one. As long as they new one remains bloatware free, I guess the purpose of buying an OnePlus is met. Nord 2 with Oxygen/ColorOS does look bloatfree. I hope it remains that way.

OxygenOS12 (colorOS) not looking like stock android 12 is a non issue cos OxygenOS11 too did not look like stock android 11.

Last edited by civic-sense : 13th October 2021 at 00:00.
Old 13th October 2021, 09:16   #31048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
.OxygenOS12 (colorOS) not looking like stock android 12 is a non issue cos OxygenOS11 too did not look like stock android 11.
Totally agree with you, Maybe for most users Android 12 rollout from OnePlus won't make a difference as long as they keep the experience bloatware free and clean for the most part !!

Hopefully they don't go the Chinese way in another few updates. They have been already slow to rollout updates since founder and CEO Carl Pei left the company, my older OnePlus got the 90fps gaming modes before the new one
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 10:52   #31049
Team-BHP Support

The 'small' 3140 mAh battery on the chhotu Pixel lasts surprisingly long! This was with heavy productivity apps use with lots of typing, I'll have to try with multimedia/streaming apps on the weekend.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20211013104810.png
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 11:23   #31050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The 'small' 3140 mAh battery on the chhotu Pixel lasts surprisingly long! This was with heavy productivity apps use with lots of typing, I'll have to try with multimedia/streaming apps on the weekend.

Attachment 2218487
Battery management is pretty good on the Pixel. My 3a (3000 mAh battery) easily lasts a day with heavy screen usage. Phone is 2 years old but battery was replaced last June '20 under warranty.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20211013110500.png

Only complaint is Android phone becoming slow with time, which iphones don't. Right now, if I press the power button twice to click a picture of a milestone on the road, I am able to see the next milestone by the time my phone is ready and my phone captures the third milestone after I have clicked the button

Moving car pics are allotted to my wife's iphone now. Pixel is out doing its job when I am standing somewhere enjoying the scene.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th October 2021 at 11:51.

Most Viewed