Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:39   #13981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Friends,

I am currently in a soup while posting this.

My wifey wanted ICS on her Galaxy Ace S5380i, which was running in Gingerbread.
I did a bit of Google, and got some custom ROMs' which claimed to be ICS.

I did the following steps:
- Root the phone.
- Run the .zip Custom ROM.
- Rebooted the phone.
Everything just 'looked' fine, until we realized that it was not ICS. It was rather a Launcher which transformed the Gingerbread into an ICS Interface.
So much for nothing.

So then, I tried to restore the OS to the original kernel and OS. But the only thing that I have been getting is the Samsung Logo followed by the logo stating 'Rafael Baugis Kernel'. The mobile hangs on this screen and I have to remove the battery to shut down the phone.
Tried to go through some steps via Odin, but that too doesn't recognize the phone.

Can someone from Bangalore please help me getting this fixed.
I know that taking the mobile to SP Road (B'lore) can fix my problem. But, I would like to sit with someone (BHPian) and see how it can be fixed (over the weekend). If nothing works, maybe someone can please recommend a good service centre in Bangalore where I can get it restored to Gingerbread, if not ICS.

Anybody who can help, please please please PM me !!! Its a desperate request.

Old 4th March 2013, 00:27   #13982
Senior - BHPian

Take it to the Samsung Service centre, they will charge around 200 Rs to flash the latest official rom.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:00   #13983
BHPian

Just got the s3. Coming from a blackberry its quite a change! Really liking android.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:27   #13984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I maybe wrong but on my Note its homebutton+power+vol down button combination. Press for a few seconds and then the screenshot is taken.
Thanks! It Works on Grand also
Old 4th March 2013, 01:40   #13985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Thanks! It Works on Grand also
swipe your palm across the screen it will take screenshot works in NOte 2 , grand has same UX
Old 4th March 2013, 03:15   #13986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Friends,

I am currently in a soup while posting this.
Try the odin method one more time and follow all the steps carefully. That is exactly what the Samsung guys will do should you go to them. You might wanna pickup the latest firmwares for our region from samifirmware.

Similar thing happened with a friend's Ace, we were able to get it back to stock via odin. There is also a thread on XDA I believe explaining how to go back to stock. Sorry, don't have it handy - used a long time back.
Old 4th March 2013, 10:50   #13987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Take it to the Samsung Service centre, they will charge around 200 Rs to flash the latest official rom.
Thanks heavy_foot. The latest Samsung Official ROM for Ace is the Gingerbread. Let me see if I can get hold of an official ROM and then I will try to flash it again. If not, will take it to the Samsung SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Try the odin method one more time and follow all the steps carefully. That is exactly what the Samsung guys will do should you go to them. You might wanna pickup the latest firmwares for our region from samifirmware.

Similar thing happened with a friend's Ace, we were able to get it back to stock via odin. There is also a thread on XDA I believe explaining how to go back to stock. Sorry, don't have it handy - used a long time back.
Thanks DryIce !! If I remember correctly, there was a pre-requisite of enabling USB debugging that should have been done before doing anything. I hadn't done that. So that's the reason I guess Odin is not reading the phone. If you could refer me to the correct thread on XDA, that would be helpful !!
Old 4th March 2013, 10:56   #13988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks DryIce !! If I remember correctly, there was a pre-requisite of enabling USB debugging that should have been done before doing anything. I hadn't done that. So that's the reason I guess Odin is not reading the phone. If you could refer me to the correct thread on XDA, that would be helpful !!
I am not sure if that is the case. For odin to work you need to be in download mode and have correct adb drivers for your device installed on your laptop.

Try this link - http://yagyagaire.blogspot.in/2012/0...firmwares.html
Old 4th March 2013, 12:21   #13989
Senior - BHPian

What would be the best free anti-theft program for android these days?
What if the thief puts in a new SIM which doesn't have any internet data plan - how would the phone relay its GPS coordinates, video from camera etc ...?
Old 4th March 2013, 12:38   #13990
Senior - BHPian

[quote=alpha1;3055901]What would be the best free anti-theft program for android these days?
What if the thief puts in a new SIM which doesn't have any internet data plan - how would the phone relay its GPS coordinates, video from camera etc ...?[/quote]

Usually New number and coordinates are sent using a background SMS.

You can try.
(1) Avast mobile security most extensive free security and anti-malware suit for Android. I am using it and compleatly satisfied.

(2) If you have Samsung phone you can download Samsung's mobile tracking application.

Avoid Nortan AV Suit it is actually a big bloatware and push you for registered copy after 3 months.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:39   #13991
BHPian

Quote:

Anybody who can help, please please please PM me !!! Its a desperate request.

Hi Soumyajit,

1. Go to recovery (To enter recovery mode, the first step is to turn off the phone. Then, with the device off, press the power button and home at the same time for a few seconds.)

2. In recovery, wipe data and cache.

This should boot up the phone. I am assuming you have already flashed the latest stock firmware through PC Odin.
Old 4th March 2013, 14:15   #13992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Hi Soumyajit,

1. Go to recovery (To enter recovery mode, the first step is to turn off the phone. Then, with the device off, press the power button and home at the same time for a few seconds.)

2. In recovery, wipe data and cache.

This should boot up the phone. I am assuming you have already flashed the latest stock firmware through PC Odin.
I have done Step 1 and 2.
I don't have the Stock Firmware. I will download that from the link that DryIce has provided above. That link isn't opening in office and don't have the patience to download the firmware on 2G.

Will sit on this tonight once I go home.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:23   #13993
BHPian

I bought one more Atrix2 for my cousin from US. Paid $140 i.e. Rs ~7800. Amazing VFM. I bought the same 7 months back for Rs. 12000.

FYI:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170990697697...84.m1439.l2649

I received it yesterday. Called AT&T US and got the phone unlocked. Upgraded to ICS. All in a blaze!
Old 5th March 2013, 14:54   #13994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I am not sure if that is the case. For odin to work you need to be in download mode and have correct adb drivers for your device installed on your laptop.

Try this link - http://yagyagaire.blogspot.in/2012/0...firmwares.html
Hey DryIce,

Thanks a lot for that link. Its a nice guide on how to unbrick the mobile. But I am stuck. Here is the sequence of events:

I downloaded all the necessary things for the flashing.
- Samsung USB Drivers (Installed on my laptop with Win Vista)
- Odin v4.38 and v4.42
- Samsung Official ROM
- Samsung Kies (Installed on my laptop with Win Vista)

Now the problem starts when I connect the phone to my laptop. I get multiple drivers installation pop ups. Even though Samsung Kies is installed and Drivers are installed, the pop ups keep on coming. I have tried searching for these drivers on Google, but not luck. Screenshots below.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1.jpg Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-2.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-3.jpg Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-4.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-5.jpg

Further to this, if I select the One Package option and browse to the downloaded .md5 file, Odin crashes. I tried with v4.38 and v4.42 as well.
Screenshots below. I have lot of free space on the HDD and no applications were running when using Odin. Still it crashes.

So basically Odin doesn't detect my mobile and crashes the moment I select the Samsung official ROM file.

Any idea what's happening with Odin ?

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-6.jpg

Help Please !!!
Old 5th March 2013, 15:15   #13995
BHPian

I had a similar problem with the latest version of ODIN when I was flashing the stock ROM on my Note. Can you try the older version (http://www.android.gs/download-odin-1-85/) and revert back if it works?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks