Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 10:34   #32401
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
However, I'm with Samsung on this that it is NOT a fake AI image. Just processed using software. We can say it is not fake because the dark spots are all there & exactly at the same places. But it is just more prominent. If we start calling this fake, then "night mode" in all smartphones can be classified as fake too.
Samsun's fake image came to the forefront when one person clicked a white dot on a screen from one end of the room. Samsung showcased that as a moon photo.
Multiple people replicated this.

Quote:
In the video, the author shows a large white dot on a dark background on the monitor screen. When using the zoom, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra camera takes this point as a natural satellite of the Earth and superimposes a photograph on the point, which is then improved at the processing stage.
Link
ValarMorghulis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:59   #32402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
In an iPhone, you can replicate Samsung's vivid display by going to: Settings -> Accessibility -> Display & Text size and fooling around with the options there, especially color filters.
Smartie, I guess the Color Filters purpose is different. iPhone gives you the option of preset photographic styles – standard, vivid, rich contrast etc. Vivid gives more of a Samsung flagship feel, and rich contrast is more of Pixel style. Personally I prefer the Standard option on the iPhone, and Natural on the Samsung.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_3690.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 11:07   #32403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-saan View Post
iPhone gives you the option of preset photographic styles – standard, vivid, rich contrast etc.
This changes only the photo output (vivid or natural), not the iphone screen display.

Quote:
I guess the Color Filters purpose is different.
Various options under "Settings -> Accessibility -> Display & Text size" will change how your phone display looks (vivid or natural) . This does not change the photo output.

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st February 2024 at 11:31.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 12:04   #32404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Multiple people replicated this.

I was unable to replicate this on my S22 Ultra.

Tried quite a few times.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-111a.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-111b.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1111.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1111c.jpg

A pic, I had taken a couple of days back.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-111m.jpg
bblost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 02:37   #32405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I was unable to replicate this on my S22 Ultra.
It is possible that Samsung has updated their algorithms so that they are able identify the object better, since the scam came into light. But the fact remains that Samsung was substituting the blured image with a stock photo of the moon. That is not Artificial Intelligence, but rather a Fake Intelligence.

Just try clicking something a kilometer away and see if it produces a pic with the same clarity and detail as the one of the moon.

Last edited by dragonfire : 2nd February 2024 at 02:40.
dragonfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 06:21   #32406
BHPian

Finally got my lavender S23. Seems like a tiny powerhouse. Setting it up the way I wanted it took me an hour or so. Smart Switch worked perfectly for moving stuff from my Moto G82, though cable is infinitely better than wireless for this. I chose to move everything except the apps, as Reddit told me transfer of apps via Smart Switch could cause issues. So I went to Google Play Store and did the Send/Receive Apps instead. That installed the apps fresh on the S23.

I removed several Samsung apps, disabled multiple others and replaced a few with their Google counterparts (Phone, Messages, GBoard, etc).

Overall, I love this phone and don't think I need anything more for the next three or four years.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img20240201wa0006.jpg
Small Bot is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 06:24   #32407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
It is possible that Samsung has updated their algorithms so that they are able identify the object better, since the scam came into light. But the fact remains that Samsung was substituting the blured image with a stock photo of the moon. That is not Artificial Intelligence, but rather a Fake Intelligence.

Just try clicking something a kilometer away and see if it produces a pic with the same clarity and detail as the one of the moon.
There is so much digital correction in all the cameras these days- if we want to be authentic we need to go back to the film or even the plate cameras of the past. So lets get over the issue and enjoy the tech for what it offers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:57   #32408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
There is so much digital correction in all the cameras these days- if we want to be authentic we need to go back to the film or even the plate cameras of the past. So lets get over the issue and enjoy the tech for what it offers.
Sorry, digital correction is not same as substituting your click with a stock photo. We all know that corrections happen in the camera, but Samsung was not upfront about the fakery they were doing and that comes under the definition of cheating.

Imagine if it was Apple who did this. Fans want Samsung to get a free pass, but they are not going to get it.
dragonfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:35   #32409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
Finally got my lavender S23. Seems like a tiny powerhouse
Sweet! How much did it work out to?
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:49   #32410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sweet! How much did it work out to?
It cost us exactly ₹53649. I had used my wife's HDFC credit card to order it on Samsung's Corporate Portal, using my company's email ID for additional discounts (they have a tie up).

This is the 256 GB version. So the listed price was ₹69999. It was initially ₹79999, before the S24 was announced.

Corporate Portal discounts brought it down to ₹63649, with HDFC providing an additional ₹10K off as a bank discount in the payment page.

It's probably the smoothest phone I've ever used, and very nice to use in a single hand. But being a Samsung phone, it took me a long while to set it up the way I liked it.

I'm impressed by this phone and want to stick to it for several years, but now have to urgently get a screen protector and a transparent back cover. It's an absolute fingerprint magnet.
Small Bot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:02   #32411
BHPian

Regarding S23, I have a very unique issue with notifications. For Emails, Teams, or WhatsApp, the notification stays even if I read the message on my computer.

It was not that way in the Pixel 4a which I am using - Once the message or mail is read, notification used to disappear.
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:17   #32412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
contemplating buying the S24 Ultra.

Photography is the only big reason for considering S24 U. It costs a whopping EUR 1500 for a 512 GB unit. Is it worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
If it's specifically for photos, pixels reign supreme in Android world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Thanks. I have now started to look at the Pixel 8 Pro too. However, my operator is not selling them and hence won't be able to put it on the bill the way I buy all my phone/smart watches etc.
Apparently Google doesn't sell the Pixel phones directly in Finland and hence operators are not carrying it. That's a bummer since I won't be able to put in on the monthly bill.

I checked out the Pixel 8 pro and found it very slick and impressive. However, due to the aforementioned issue, I had to ditch the Pixel and got myself a S24 Ultra 512 GB to replace my 3 yr old S21.
Got myself Samsung Standing grip as well.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20240202_094259.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20240202_094316.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20240202_094337.jpg

I didn't really need 512 GB but Samsung was being aggressive in pushing the 512GB unit at the 256 GB price.

I must say - The Ultra is quite a handful. It will take a while to get used to the bulky size. the size of the S21 was just perfect for me.

The AI feature I was really looking forward to was Live Translate. I'm now disappointed since Finnish is not one of the language packs I can download as yet.

Photography - I'm yet to explore. The one feature I did explore is the photo editor feature. It did a decent job of filling up when I chose to delete objects.

More when I start fooling around with it.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 2nd February 2024 at 13:20.
14000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:51   #32413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Regarding S23, I have a very unique issue with notifications. For Emails, Teams, or WhatsApp, the notification stays even if I read the message on my computer.

It was not that way in the Pixel 4a which I am using - Once the message or mail is read, notification used to disappear.
I'm not sure if this would resolve the issue, but try turning off these three toggles in Notifications -> Advanced Settings: Floating notifications, Notification history and Repeat notification alerts.

Let me know if that helps.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 11:19   #32414
Senior - BHPian

Trust me - I was with Apple from 2009 to 2022. Was a fanboy, quite literally! Eventually, I realized one thing, Apple has lost that X-factor with respect to their OS / even phones for that matter.

I made up my mind as I am into 'Make phone your own' category! Apple didn't allow one bit of customization after jailbreak era was literally over. I switched to S22 ultra in 2022 and there's no turning back. Since then there's N number of customizations that I've made to my homescreen! It's not boring at all.

Having said that, although I do feel stutters now and then, it stabilizes on its own as the refresh rate drops abruptly in random areas or apps in the screen.

Nevertheless, phone is great and I don't think I need any upgrades for another 2/3 years!
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:28   #32415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I made up my mind as I am into 'Make phone your own' category! Apple didn't allow one bit of customization after jailbreak era was literally over. I switched to S22 ultra in 2022 and there's no turning back. Since then there's N number of customizations that I've made to my homescreen! It's not boring at all.
Ha! I did the opposite in 2020. I was on android since late 2000's. Had bought all the Oneplus's, Pixel's every year. Customized the hell out of these phones with custom firmware, kernels, custom launchers, icons etc. Even used to buy icon packs. But I got tired of changing & re-customizing every-time I bought a new phone, or did a factory reset (which used to many times with custom rom's )

Then life took over & I bought a iPhone and set it up the way I wanted. The setup I did 2 years has transferred over to at least 2 phones without re-doing the entire thing again and again. I don't even remember the last time I set up my iPhone from the beginning. Just transfer over & you are off to the races.

The 2010-2016's was the best time for customization. Android now is very limited to what it was capable back then. Once Phone manufacturers, Google and Banks started to crack down on unlocking the bootloader, it was really an end to the major customization Android allowed. The only major thing Android allows over the iPhone is custom launchers.

Sigh, I still miss the old days when you could change the CPU governor settings depending on what you were doing...

Last edited by car_addict : 3rd February 2024 at 15:29.
car_addict is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks