Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2024, 15:12   #32476
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Walmart launches Indus Appstore in India. This will compete against Google Playstore. Already has 200K+ apps.

Competition is good!

Link to news
Old 5th March 2024, 16:00   #32477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Walmart launches Indus Appstore in India. This will compete against Google Playstore. Already has 200K+ apps.
I think all appstores (including Samsung's Galaxy Store) have close to zero value addition.

1) Not many will bother to install an .apk file. "File might be harmful, but download anyway"

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_2.png

2) And after taking the trouble to install the file, what do we get? It is exactly same apps that are already there on Google Playstore. No developer will spend resources on developing an app and launch exclusively on 'indus app store'.

3) If an app has been banned from Google Playstore and an android user wants to install the app, he can go to the developer's website and download the .apk file anyway.

But over the next few days, if do we hear news that Indus App Store had XXX downloads, it will be primarily because of curiousity factor.

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th March 2024 at 20:45.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 19:07   #32478
Senior - BHPian

I think launching only an app store without bothering to do anything about the OS our phone runs on, is useless.

As long as we are dependent on Android, Google Play Store will keep reigning supreme. Although the day might be far far far in the future, I would love to see an Indian company succesfully manufacturing an indigenous phone in India and enabling it to run on an Indian software.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 19:20   #32479
BHPian

probably a hint of the upcoming ban of google play store
Old 5th March 2024, 20:37   #32480
Distinguished - BHPian

I do use other app stores. For some time I have got a few things from F-Droid. Recently I discovered Aptitude. I try not to take too much notice of Googles FUD you might die if you install this stuff. But I still look to Google first.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 17:49   #32481
BHPian

Nothing launched their 3rd offering - 2a in India today starting at 19,000/-. I feel that's a stonker of a price given the specs it offers.

This is an introductory price for the sale day on the 12th March only.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 23:47   #32482
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have been using a Oneplus 8 for over 3 years now, and I am still happy with it as it performs well for general usage. However, I am facing a significant issue with its USB-C charging port. The port has stopped working properly, and my phone does not Warp Charge anymore, even with the original adapter and cable. It doesn't even charge with other USB C cables.

I have tried cleaning the port with a toothpick, but it didn't help. I suspect that the port is failing, and I want to know if anyone has experience with the Oneplus Service Team. Can they replace the port alone, or do I have to replace the entire motherboard? Additionally, if you know any trustworthy third-party repair stores in Bengaluru that can fix the issue, please let me know.
Old 13th March 2024, 21:46   #32483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I think all appstores (including Samsung's Galaxy Store) have close to zero value addition.
Samsung phone owner for past 14 years almost. Outside of some childish themes and fonts (I was big time into home screen customization for a while) I have never downloaded a single app from Galaxy store.

Samsung's own photo editing software is hosted there (reasonably good) - apart from updates to that app the whole store is useless and nothing but a burden on the system.

It boggles my mind that companies keep investing time, money, effort into running these in-house stores and keep pushing it as a "feature".

Last edited by manson : 28th March 2024 at 08:40. Reason: Typo.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 23:24   #32484
BHPian

Can someone PM me a working Samsung referral code?

EDIT: For home appliance, not for Mobiles. Mods: Please move this into appliances thread if required.

Last edited by Funny : 13th March 2024 at 23:28.
Old 14th March 2024, 08:53   #32485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post

EDIT: For home appliance, not for Mobiles. Mods: Please move this into appliances thread if required.
As far as I know, there are no separate referral codes for appliances and phones. Try using this one please.

Samsung referral code: REFXTB8MNQEF
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 14:21   #32486
Senior - BHPian

Received my Nothing Phone 2A today and initial impression is good!

Camera performance is average! (will explore more)
Phone is dust and finger print magnet!
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1710406513140.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th March 2024 at 14:26.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 21:26   #32487
BHPian

I have Samsug account and I wish to buy a new device S23 Ultra 512 GB on EMI. The option of no cost EMI is only on Samsung's website. I need guidance to maximize discounts for this purchase:
  1. How do I get the referral code discount and new user discount? (I can create a new account using family's details). Kindly guide step by step as I tried on previous purchase and couldn't get it.
  2. If I use EMI option, do I get reward points and other discounts?
  3. Exchange will not be possible as the old device will be used as secondary phone.
  4. Will it be possible to predict further price drop based on previous trends?
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
As far as I know, there are no separate referral codes for appliances and phones. Try using this one please.

Samsung referral code: REFXTB8MNQEF
P.S. - This code is not working for S23 Ultra.

Last edited by NG_EV : 14th March 2024 at 21:45. Reason: Adding a post quote.
Old 14th March 2024, 21:55   #32488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
[*]How do I get the referral code discount and new user discount? (I can create a new account using family's details). Kindly guide step by step as I tried on previous purchase and couldn't get it.
Go on Samsung Shop, add the product to cart. Before checkout you'll have option to Apply voucher. Click on it and enter the code, take mine if you don't have one - REFXBZBMD3RM.

Usually you can use new user voucher or referral code. Check for your product which one works. If both can be applied then great otherwise see which one offers higher discount.

Quote:
[*]If I use EMI option, do I get reward points and other discounts?
It must be mentioned in T&C of the offer. Have a look, usually it's in bullet points - explicitly mentioned.

Quote:
[*]Will it be possible to predict further price drop based on previous trends?[/list]Thank you.
Probably not. Being a flagship phone, don't expect much fall. There could be slight reduction but nothing significant. Check for S22 series price history if you want to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post

Please check again, I don't think appliances are included under referrals. AFAIK, referrals are applicable for Tablets, Wearables, Mobiles and Laptops only.

Last edited by batish : 14th March 2024 at 22:04.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 14:03   #32489
BHPian

WhatsApp is contributing to near 20% of Battery drain in Android 14 (Oxygen OS-14).
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_2024031713592880_0ba066473b79d6e213a1f6f52505e2ee.jpg

I have already uninstalled and re installed it but the problem is persisting. I am a casual user and use WhatsApp occasionally. Any fix for the same? The device is Oneplus Nord 3.

Last edited by manson : 28th March 2024 at 08:42.
Old 21st March 2024, 22:45   #32490
Oxy
BHPian

I have a question for Samsung/Motorola phone users.

I tried to install Google Pay within the Secure Folder of my S20 FE 5G. Unfortunately, that refused to work, as in I was never able to pay bills as OTP would never arrive.

Tried the same on my wife's Motorola Edge 40 and faced the same issue there as well. OTP would arrive only when the app is installed outside the Secure Folder.

I had thought the purpose of this folder was to offer an extra layer of security but what's the point when you cannot use the app itself when you install it inside the folder?
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks