Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2024, 22:42   #32371
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
but I recollect feeling the tremors but the phone didn’t notify me !
Maybe because the intensity of the tremors did not cross the Richter scale of 4.5 which is the alert triggering limit. I also encountered few tremors in my locality but never got alerts in my Pixel 6, neither I cared about this feature but then the intensity of the tremors in my area also did not go beyond the triggering limit of 4.5.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 20th January 2024 at 22:46.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:42   #32372
Distinguished - BHPian

Every single reddit s23 vs pixel series thread I read comes to the conclusion that the s23 is a vastly superior device. Thoughts?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:52   #32373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Every single reddit s23 vs pixel series thread I read comes to the conclusion that the s23 is a vastly superior device. Thoughts?
Not sure of the Pixel 8 (not used it extensively), but can clearly say that S23 is a wonderful device - powerful, great camera, all-day battery life, and small form factor.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:01   #32374
Senior - BHPian

S23 demand may go up since S24 in India is coming with Exynos chipset and practically no feature or design elements are new in S24. AI is a gimmick which will fade in no time.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:10   #32375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are into gaming on your phone (even occasionally) and use applications that demand the extra processing power, the S23 is the better option. If this is not the case, then I think I like Pixel photos better than Samsung (slightly oversaturated), it has the brighter screen, bigger battery, slightly faster charging and Google's 7 years support committment (if it matters !).

If other features like VPN, call screening, etc. come to India, that's an added bonus.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:24   #32376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
If you are into gaming on your phone (even occasionally) and use applications that demand the extra processing power, the S23 is the better option. If this is not the case, then I think I like Pixel photos better than Samsung (slightly oversaturated), it has the brighter screen, bigger battery, slightly faster charging and Google's 7 years support committment (if it matters !).

If other features like VPN, call screening, etc. come to India, that's an added bonus.
Lots of complaints about the pixel hardware not really being up to snuff. I think the last good well built pixel phone was the 3a honestly (plug alert, I am a 3a user). I am also loathe to carry around a bigger phone since I really love the 3a form factor. Stuff like this is pushing me towards the s23 at a very similarish price.

Does the s23 also get 7 years of updates?
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:41   #32377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lots of complaints about the pixel hardware not really being up to snuff. ...
True, but most of these comparisons are basis benchmarking results and Tensor was never meant to be a performance champion. Having said this, yes the gap between flagship chips is too big and Google could definitely done better. The build though is very good and the phone feels premium to hold.

Having said this and leaving benchmarks aside, the actual user experience on the phone is very good unless you are playing games or doing a lot of video processing which is not my use case, hence choose accordingly. And yes, the haptics is soo good, you don't miss it till you experience it

One aspect of Pixels that scare me is the service support which requires pickup, transit to a central repair centre, etc., which is just not acceptable today. How do they expect users to be without their phones for the week or so they take to do all this.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:43   #32378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One aspect of Pixels that scare me is the service support which requires pickup, transit to a central repair centre, etc., which is just not acceptable today. How do they expect users to be without their phones for the week or so they take to do all this.
This came up on my research too. Apparently very very poor user reviews on Google's customer service.

Quote:
Lots of complaints about the pixel hardware not really being up to snuff.
Quote:
True, but most of these comparisons are basis benchmarking results
Actually I meant the real hardware. Buttons, body etc. I have read that the power button fell out for some users. And the USB C charging port also kind of went bad? Both were from review sites of reviewers on long term user reviews of the pixel (7 pro/8 pro).

I don’t know why google is taking such short cuts. Even the tensor chip is based on the exynos if I am not mistaken.

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd January 2024 at 10:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
Old 22nd January 2024, 15:04   #32379
BHPian

Quote:
Does the s23 also get 7 years of updates?
No, if I recall correctly, the S23 will get OS updates till Android 17 in 2027 and security updates till February 2028. That's plenty sufficient for a phone you can get at around 54-60K now.

I personally feel that 5 years of fuss free usage is the max you can expect from any phone. I'm not really confident that any phone can last 7 years without sustaining and accumulating routine damages like cracks and dents and scratches, and therefore needing replacement anyway by the 4th or 5th year.

Quote:
I don’t know why google is taking such short cuts. Even the tensor chip is based on the exynos if I am not mistaken.
The Tensor G3 is based on Samsung Exynos 2300, which was surprisingly cancelled for the S23, but then Google used it for its Tensor chips in Pixel 8 series. I cannot objectively say that the Tensor G3 is bad, but user reviews clearly show that the SD8 Gen2 is quite some way ahead where the heat management and battery retention is concerned.

I think where most people had an issue with is the Pixel 8 series' pricing vis a vis what it offered. It seemed almost arrogant by Google to price it close to iPhone 15 territory with markedly lower specs. It has only made the S23 a lot more value for money now. Pixel 8 is yet to drop in price though.

Last edited by Small Bot : 22nd January 2024 at 15:15.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 16:01   #32380
Senior - BHPian

It's time to replace my Galaxy S21 and I am contemplating buying the S24 Ultra. Any views? thoughts? feedback?

Photography is the only big reason for considering S24 U. It costs a whopping EUR 1500 for a 512 GB unit. Is it worth it?

Last edited by 14000rpm : 22nd January 2024 at 16:02.
Old 22nd January 2024, 19:21   #32381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
It's time to replace my Galaxy S21 and I am contemplating buying the S24 Ultra. Any views? thoughts? feedback?

Photography is the only big reason for considering S24 U. It costs a whopping EUR 1500 for a 512 GB unit. Is it worth it?
If it's specifically for photos, pixels reign supreme in Android world.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 20:31   #32382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
If it's specifically for photos, pixels reign supreme in Android world.
Thanks. I have now started to look at the Pixel 8 Pro too. However, my operator is not selling them and hence won't be able to put it on the bill the way I buy all my phone/smart watches etc.

I have not used a Stylus on a device since long. Does any current Samsung Ultra/Galaxy Note user find any big benefits of the stylus? or it is a forgotten piece of HW?

Last edited by 14000rpm : 22nd January 2024 at 20:32.
Old 23rd January 2024, 13:57   #32383
Distinguished - BHPian

So I walked into a reliance store and they offered me the S23 256gigs for 60k.

And also the S24 256 gigs for 65k! No card offer etc. Just swipe your card and be on your way. This is some flat sale offer.
Old 23rd January 2024, 14:44   #32384
BHPian

Quote:
So I walked into a reliance store and they offered me the S23 256gigs for 60k.

And also the S24 256 gigs for 65k! No card offer etc. Just swipe your card and be on your way. This is some flat sale offer.
S23 is understandable at 60k, but S24 at 65k is some news! Are you really sure there are no bundle offers or some hidden conditions as such? The current 'best' price for S24 is 70k something after CC discounts, etc.
Old 23rd January 2024, 15:02   #32385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
S23 is understandable at 60k, but S24 at 65k is some news! Are you really sure there are no bundle offers or some hidden conditions as such? The current 'best' price for S24 is 70k something after CC discounts, etc.
No nothing of that sort. He told me to come over and pick it up using what ever card I have. Reliance in phoenix mall.

But I am not in the mood to spend over 50k for any phone lol!

I really liked the s23/24 in my hands. Smaller than even my pixel 3a!

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd January 2024 at 15:05.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks