Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2023, 22:12   #32176
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

2. OnePlus 11R:
Having enjoyed using my OnePlus 7 for last 3.5+ years it was the simplest go to decision back in March 2023 but then I read about OnePlus moving to Colos OS. After lots of hesitation I eventually installed the Android 12 update on my OnePlus 7 and it isn't as bad it I imagined it to be. Would Android 13 on the OnePlus 11R be similar, or vastly different? The camera on the OnePlus 11R isn't supposed to be really good either. And then the larger size over the OnePlus 7 which I can actually live with for the crazy fast charging cycle.

4. Samsung 21 FE: 45K odd for the recently introduced Snapdragon version it is quite expensive. Would lap it up for 35K (10K extra over the Snapdragon S20 FE), but I doubt prices will fall this soon.
5. Samsung S22+: 47-48K on Flipkart seems like a fair price for last year's flagship+ but 10K more than I'd be comfortable spending. And then I read a few user reviews staying the Gen 1 processor tends to run hot and drains battery rather quickly.
The 11R and S22+ seem the better choices here. Compared to s21fe, the additional prices for s22+ is well worth it. For day to day usage, sd gen 1 is a good processor, heats up in intensive tasks like gaming. Also, if I remember correctly, samsung has managed the situation with updates.

Coming to OnePlus, I have also used the 7T for 3.5 years and it is still going good. My dad owns a 10 pro and yes there is a shift towards color OS, but it has been too much exaggerated by youtubers - at this point most of us will fail to even list out what makes oxygen OS stand out and where color OS is lacking? As of now, on OnePlus, oxygen OS is clean, without bloatwared and updates are also good.

The new entrant Nothing Phone 2 (going on sale 21st July) can also be considered.

I would choose betweent the s22+ and nothing phone 2.
Candy$Cars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 03:46   #32177
Distinguished - BHPian

Color OS? Would this be what I experienced on a budget-priced Oppo phone about five years ago?

If yes, I have to say: never again! It was a horrendous experience, and I basically threw the phone away (into the hands of a youngster who was desperate for any smart phone but unable to buy).

It was totally restrictive. It would not allow me to run my choice of browser or sms app as default. It un-defaulted it. Awful experience.

Quote:
Pixel 7A: ... ... ... plagued by heating issues and runs extremely hot.
How bad is this? I'm almost-about-to-buy a Pixel 7a.

I had a motorola phone that was a good ear warmer. Not welcome in this climate, but the phone worked fine.
Old 15th July 2023, 06:45   #32178
BHPian

Quote:
....Will be mostly used for regular streaming, social media, emails and pictures.....
5. Samsung S22+:.....And then I read a few user reviews staying the Gen 1 processor tends to run hot and drains battery rather quickly.
I have been using a Samsung S22+ for the last 1.5 years. If the above is your use case, then Samsung S22± is absolutely fine for this.
DigitalOne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 09:09   #32179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It was totally restrictive. It would not allow me to run my choice of browser or sms app as default. It un-defaulted it. Awful experience.
Doesn't seem like that. Even with the current color OS integration (that I did not discover myself as such) the OnePlus 7 is really good to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How bad is this? I'm almost-about-to-buy a Pixel 7a.
Really bad. Single biggest problem every reviewer or user with a negative opinion has with the 7A. Checkout Geekyranjit's full review (not the unboxing video) and the comments section on YouTube for a deeper insight. The heating issue is a bit less on the Pixel 7, but still prevalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
I would choose between the s22+ and nothing phone 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I have been using a Samsung S22+ for the last 1.5 years. If the above is your use case, then Samsung S22± is absolutely fine for this.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ended up ordering the S21 FE on Flipkart for 30K. Relatively compact dimensions with a good camera and display within the sweet spot.

Last edited by manson : 15th July 2023 at 19:01.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 18:58   #32180
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ended up ordering the S21 FE on Flipkart for 30K. Relatively compact dimensions with a good camera and display within the sweet spot.
Ordered one for a friend's son who has just joined college. I was not ready to go ahead with Exynos processor but on second thoughts it'll restrict the lad from going for hard core gaming so went ahead and ordered it.

Samsung has made sure to hide the name of the processor on FK website.
Old 15th July 2023, 19:10   #32181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Ordered one for a friend's son who has just joined college. I was not ready to go ahead with Exynos processor but on second thoughts it'll restrict the lad from going for hard core gaming so went ahead and ordered it.
Likewise the S21 FE I've ordered is for my teenage nephew

He uses the phone more for pictures and social media than gaming so it just made a whole lot of sense to save the 15K between the Exynos & Snapdragon variant recently made available in India.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 19:38   #32182
BHPian

Budget - upto 35k

This will be my primary phone. Need one that takes good pics (OIS compulsory) & stays snappy for the next 3 years minimum. No games whatsoever.

I had a strange fixation to orange back while browsing & ordered the Iqoo Neo 7 Pro even though I didn't get any offers. I have an Axis Bank Debit Card, so I guess maybe the Flipkart platform may have useful offers too.

I'm a noob at this. YouTube video reviews, going by their video thumbnails, seem to be made by sellouts! Please suggest what would be a better way to shortlist & finalise.

Thanks in advance!
Old 15th July 2023, 20:47   #32183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Budget - upto 35k

This will be my primary phone. Need one that takes good pics (OIS compulsory) & stays snappy for the next 3 years minimum. No games whatsoever.

I had a strange fixation to orange back while browsing & ordered the Iqoo Neo 7 Pro even though I didn't get any offers. I have an Axis Bank Debit Card, so I guess maybe the Flipkart platform may have useful offers too.

I'm a noob at this. YouTube video reviews, going by their video thumbnails, seem to be made by sellouts! Please suggest what would be a better way to shortlist & finalise.

Thanks in advance!
Google Pixel A Series. Sold off my camera after getting this.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 05:43   #32184
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Budget - upto 35k

Thanks in advance!
The first thing to do is make a list of your priorities, I see you need a good camera and performance (snappiness) for at least 3 years, and you are not a gamer. You have a budget of around 35k as well.

Your initial choice of iQOO Neo 7 Pro wasn't a bad choice in regards to all aspects, but I am not so sure about the cameras though.

The Motorola Edge 40 is also a worthy contender, but it doesn't have the best battery or chipset.

If you can streamline your priorities, then an option could be easily identified.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:19   #32185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking to lap up a mid range Android phone in the upcoming Amazon/Flipkart sales. Will be mostly used for regular streaming, social media, emails and pictures. Have shortlisted a handful between 25-40K for now:

I am also using OnePlus 7T for the last 3.5 years and looking for a phone in the 40K - 60K budget. OnePlus 7T is still going strong which meets by requirements well, but the battery backup is less after the last android update. So I want to get a new phone and keep this as a backup phone, which I can use as GPS for my bike rides, not find it safe to carry the primary phone with all the banking apps/ SMS on trips.

I do not want to go for OnePlus again as they do not seem as good as earlier and the camera is not as good as Samsung.

S21/ S22 phones seem to be plagued with battery/ heating issues and less pending android/ security updates. I normally keep my phones for long and battery backup is important for me.

S23 is small for me, I prefer at least 6.4" display. S23 plus is over my budget and I have a policy not to spend much on mobiles, which gets outdated soon.

I am deviating towards Samsung A54 in 40K range, it seems good for my use - browsing, multimedia and social media. It is good on IP rating, display and multimedia. But the reviews are not all great, mainly on the processor. Battery backup is good.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 18th July 2023 at 10:23.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 12:43   #32186
BHPian

Quote:
Likewise the S21 FE I've ordered is for my teenage nephew

He uses the phone more for pictures and social media than gaming so it just made a whole lot of sense to save the 15K between the Exynos & Snapdragon variant recently made available in India.
Same here, after some research settled for S21 FE Exynos for my wife. After phone exchange and Flipkart sage discounts the final price came to 22.5K, which i felt is good.
For her usecase it is good enough. With the promised 4 OS upgrades and 5 years of security updates, this should be good for another 4-5 years.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 13:50   #32187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
S21/ S22 phones seem to be plagued with battery/ heating issues and less pending android/ security updates. I normally keep my phones for long and battery backup is important for me.
S22 battery backup was so bad that I sold it off in 6 months, but the S23's backup is brilliant, especially for a (relatively) small phone. It easily lasts for the whole day and I connect it to the charger only at bedtime. In comparison, the previous S22 needed a shot of charge by around 3pm.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 14:56   #32188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
S22 battery backup was so bad that I sold it off in 6 months, but the S23's backup is brilliant, especially for a (relatively) small phone. It easily lasts for the whole day and I connect it to the charger only at bedtime. In comparison, the previous S22 needed a shot of charge by around 3pm.
Samsung has launched S21 FE with Snapdragon processor last week. The price is high at 50K on Samsung website and it is not listed on amazon/ flipkart. This seems to be a good option without the heating and battery backup issues of Exynos when the price comes down. It should be soon available with some discounts during the usual independence day sale.

S23 is very good, but it would take longer for the price to come down. S21 FE would be still much more economical than S23 plus (S23 size is small for me) available at 95K on Amazon. Will run for another 5 years with android and security updates promised for the new model.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 17:54   #32189
BHPian

Has anyone here bought or used Vivo V27 Pro? It has been widely praised for camera performance - link. What is your feedback about it?

Me too looking for a phone under 40k, camera (day and night performance from all cameras including selfie) is my top priority.
Old 23rd July 2023, 19:19   #32190
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All - Any latest recommendation for Samsung Android phone at Max 20K INR? Not very particular about OS updates, etc and for normal usage but with 5G support.

Samsung has too many Galaxy models and confusing to choose one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks